What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Jalen Reagor, NE (1 Viewer)

KChusker said:
The Tech game in 2019 was what I was thinking of. He wasn't bad from a yardage perspective but his line was salvaged by a 55 yard TD on a bomb that he double caught (though it was a nice route--I'll give him that). Besides that play he had 2 receptions for 28 yards--the type of disappearing I'm referring to. Purdue 2019 was another one I remembered pretty clearly; and in general, I was speaking more to 2019 than 2018

Corey Coleman played for Baylor for one (you may have known that--just wanted to clarify) and I agree that TCU has become the red headed stepchild of the conference along with Iowa State for sticking to defense+run game while the rest of the conference has gone air raid

I do think Reagor has similar speed and athleticism but one thing from that department that does concern me a bit is stiffness/agility. Of course I docked DK hard for this last year so it can definitely be overcome--but I think it holds more weight for a guy like Reagor than a specimen like DK

The year of Coleman: Josh Doctson (another TCU WR) was my guy. Thought he was the next Mike Evans (oops)

My point on Agholor and Matthews was less about them as prospects and more that they were productive early in their careers and showed some promise before falling off hard
I see. Yeah I didn't go back and watch those games after our conversation yet. I appreciate the detail about the big play saving his day in that one.

Yeah not sure where Coleman came into this conversation. I think someone mentioned him earlier in the thread so that got stuck in my head. Looking back I had Doctson as the top guy pre NFL draft then Coleman post NFL draft. This has nothing to do with Reagor besides them all being 1st round WR picks by the NFL.

Thanks for the counter points and perspective.

Deamon said:
In the Reagor thread?  Why?
Well because Wentz and the offense overall will affect how well Reagor does.

The over/under article does a good job I think of showing what targets have been going to the WR in this offense. Some of the recent production from the position has been sub optimal and the addition of Reagor should change that going forward 

Yet you would take the under on 651 receiving yards.

Do Eagles fans just not believe a WR can be good in this offense?

Well because Wentz and the offense overall will affect how well Reagor does.

The over/under article does a good job I think of showing what targets have been going to the WR in this offense. Some of the recent production from the position has been sub optimal and the addition of Reagor should change that going forward 

I think Reagor can be very good. 

Year 1 is tough for rookie WR's. 
Also he has more competition this year that might not be around next year (Alshon/Djax). 
Also he has no camp so might start slow.
Also he will be the 3rd/4th receiving option on the team this year.
Also our offense doesn't put up big WR numbers.

There are a lot of reasons to pick the under this year.  I think he will have a MUCH bigger year 2 than year 1 statistically.

Just for some context, the top 4 FBG staffers yardage projections for him:

DD: 474
BH: 555
MT: 453
JW: 671

Last edited by a moderator:
Deamon said:
In the Reagor thread?  Why?
I just believe its Wentz that directly correlates Reagors production, and Wentz will put the numbers up.

I love the kid. Hope I can get him in my draft late 1st.

I think Reagor can be very good. 

Year 1 is tough for rookie WR's. 
Yeah I get it that rookie WR do not tend to produce well their rookie seasons.

Also he has more competition this year that might not be around next year (Alshon/Djax). 
I have seen Mike Clay and Jason Woods only projecting 9 or 10 games for Jeffrey. How many do you think he plays?

I dont see overlap in Reagor and Jeffrey's skill set. Reagor is more like Jackson. So if Jackson is playing well, no room for Reagor?

Jason Wood has JJACW with 30 receptions. I dont think he is that involved.

Also he has no camp so might start slow.
This could be the case for all rookies this year.

Also he will be the 3rd/4th receiving option on the team this year.
What do you think the distribution of targets will be?

Both TE and Jackson more targets than Reagor? Or are you talking about Jeffrey or Sanders as the 3rd most utiilised?

Also our offense doesn't put up big WR numbers.
This I think is more about the WR talent or lack of it due to multiple reasons like injuries, free agency, poor draft pick replacements.

In 2017 the Eagles threw to WR 300 times on 584 attempts. Over 50% of the total targets.

There are a lot of reasons to pick the under this year.  I think he will have a MUCH bigger year 2 than year 1 statistically.

Yeah the potential of slow start due to no camp and the risk of missed games makes 651 a tough bet. Under more normal circumstances I would be more confident about him doing it.

Yeah I get it that rookie WR do not tend to produce well their rookie seasons.

I have seen Mike Clay and Jason Woods only projecting 9 or 10 games for Jeffrey. How many do you think he plays?
Ya about that, I agree and probably only say 8.  That's still half a season of cutting into his production though.  Small factor, but still a factor.

I dont see overlap in Reagor and Jeffrey's skill set. Reagor is more like Jackson. So if Jackson is playing well, no room for Reagor?
Ya they're only working him in right now to play the Z.  Coach has said this last week, and it sounds like he will start his career as Djax backup.  This will also limit him the first half of the season (the party Alshon likely misses)

Jason Wood has JJACW with 30 receptions. I dont think he is that involved.
Wood has JJAW at 15 receptions from what I'm seeing?

This could be the case for all rookies this year.
Agreed.

What do you think the distribution of targets will be?
If I had to guess receptions I'd say something like:  Djax 45, Reagor 40, Alshon 30, Goodwin 15, JJaw 15, Ward 10, Other 5.

Both TE and Jackson more targets than Reagor? Or are you talking about Jeffrey or Sanders as the 3rd most utiilised?
In terms of Receptions (and targets), Yes I definitely see Djax, Ertz, and Goedert getting more than Reagor.  All 4 FBG staffers have Goedert with more receptions than Reagor and I agree.  I think Reagor and Alshon are a push, and have them tied for 4th/5th on the team in targets/receptions (so much of this depends on Alshon's health.  If he's healthy, I think he pushes Reagor down to 5th most receiving targets on the team.  If not, Reagor is 4th.  I tend to think he won't be, so I give Reagor the favourable 4th receiving option... still not great)

This I think is more about the WR talent or lack of it due to multiple reasons like injuries, free agency, poor draft pick replacements.
Very possible, yes.  Doug likes to spread it around though, and now we have tons of talent.  This isn't even taking into consideration the targets going to Sanders, Scott, or one of the speedy rookie WR's if one makes an impact.

In 2017 the Eagles threw to WR 300 times on 584 attempts. Over 50% of the total targets.
Sure.  This was when Blount and Ajayi were in the backfield.  More passes should go to Sanders and Scott than to those guys.  Also didn't have Goedert who should get more work this year.

Yeah the potential of slow start due to no camp and the risk of missed games makes 651 a tough bet. Under more normal circumstances I would be more confident about him doing it.
I still think that's too high of an O/U.  Most non-Eagles fans are overdrafting this guy.  Not cause we hate him, but he's going to take some time, and he's also going to stretch the field and give Carson easy throws to our TE.  He's going to be a better NFL receiver than fantasy receiver this year IMO.  Next year is a different story.

Thnaks Demon.

It looks like Jason Wood has updated his projections since I last looked at them and he has JJACW with fewer receptions than he did before.

Thanks for the info on them having Reagor work on the Z position. That is what I was guessing as well but good to get confirmation of that. I don't read Eagles beat writers to keep on that. Wasn't hard to figure out where his skill set fits in the offense though.

As far as the Eagles not having Goedert in 2017 shouldn't be a reason for the WR getting less targets. Trey Burton and Celek combined for 55 targets that year, a bit less than what I would project Goedert for. Your point about Blount and their other RB that season having not many targets does matter. I see the distribution of targets for RB and TE as more interdependent than their relationship to the WRs. Sanders a much better receiving option than what they had in 2017 though. In 2017 I count 75 targets to RB players. Sanders and the rest of the RB for the Eagles had 114 targets last season.

When you say most non Eagles fans are over drafting Reagor this implies that Eagles fans know something that non Eagles fans do not. I don't agree with this. If anything the Eagles fans seem too bearish on a very talented WR that the Eagles have been in need of for a long time. It seems like the concept of having Jackson and Reagor on the field at the same time isn't an option and I don't get that part of this calculus at all. In my view they can and should both be on the field at the same time. Forget Jeffrey. Forget JJACW. Play your best players. Either Reagor or Jackson have to play some X which I think they can do fine.

Thnaks Demon.

It looks like Jason Wood has updated his projections since I last looked at them and he has JJACW with fewer receptions than he did before.

Thanks for the info on them having Reagor work on the Z position. That is what I was guessing as well but good to get confirmation of that. I don't read Eagles beat writers to keep on that. Wasn't hard to figure out where his skill set fits in the offense though.

As far as the Eagles not having Goedert in 2017 shouldn't be a reason for the WR getting less targets. Trey Burton and Celek combined for 55 targets that year, a bit less than what I would project Goedert for. Your point about Blount and their other RB that season having not many targets does matter. I see the distribution of targets for RB and TE as more interdependent than their relationship to the WRs. Sanders a much better receiving option than what they had in 2017 though. In 2017 I count 75 targets to RB players. Sanders and the rest of the RB for the Eagles had 114 targets last season.

When you say most non Eagles fans are over drafting Reagor this implies that Eagles fans know something that non Eagles fans do not. I don't agree with this. If anything the Eagles fans seem too bearish on a very talented WR that the Eagles have been in need of for a long time. It seems like the concept of having Jackson and Reagor on the field at the same time isn't an option and I don't get that part of this calculus at all. In my view they can and should both be on the field at the same time. Forget Jeffrey. Forget JJACW. Play your best players. Either Reagor or Jackson have to play some X which I think they can do fine.
Te2+Te3 that year had 55 like you said, which should again be way lower this year.  Last year alone, Goedert+Perkins had 100 Targets. 

Last years target distribution was:  WR 256, TE+RB 348.  I'm not saying there won't be a bit more of a shift to WR receptions this year.  I believe with all the new offensive minds on the coaching staff, that we will definitely see a shift to more WR targets.... but not to the 52% they had in 2017.... 42%-52% I think is an over-adjustment.  For Context, the 4 FBG staffers predict WR Receptions to be:  149 152 153 168. 

In 2017 they had 178, 2018 they had 188, and 2019 was 146.  Even if we go above and beyond all the staffers' projections and give them say 175 (pretty much what they had in that 2017 year which is unlikely IMO because of the above TE+RB projections), how would you divy up those 175?  I'll adjust mine to that 175 number which I think would be the CEILING of WR receptions this year.

Djax 52
Reagor 41
Alshon 29
Goodwin 18
JJaw 14
Ward 14
Other 7

As for your last point, I don't think we're too bearish on him.  We have seen how we move the ball around, and may have a decent grasp on the offense (not saying non fans don't, and definitely not you since it looks like you have put thought into it, but some people like to just think "WR need + 1st Round WR = automatic production).  I think fans are more bullish on Reagor than most non fans, but from a pure fantasy year 1 perspective, I think when you dive into the numbers you see that he is not bound for a 650+ yard season.  I hope I'm wrong.

Yes, Reagor can play some X... and the though is he will play the X for a lot of the season after being the backup Z for the first part of it.  I mostly agree with you in the "forget JJAW and Alshon, go Reagor" statement... And my reception projections even show that (Reagor as the #2 WR)... but it takes time for Rookie WR's and 180 WR reception ceiling isn't a lot to go around.  How many WR receptions would you predict and what would your breakdown be?  Very curious.

Eagles signed first-round WR Jalen Reagor to a four-year, $13.3 million contract.

It's your run-of-the-mill four-year deal with a fifth-year option for the 2024 season. An undersized (5’11/206) but explosive deep threat with 4.47 speed, Reagor broke out as an 18-year-old freshman (33/576/8), ascended as a sophomore (72/1,061/9), then tanked (43/611/5, 6.9 yards per target) as the team threw freshman Max Duggan under center in Reagor's final year. He still accounted for nearly 40 percent of the Horned Frogs' receiving scores over those three seasons. On tape, Reagor is at his best on straight-line routes where he can get upfield and utilize his 42-inch vertical. He has the body control to haul in contested catches, but it’s unclear if that skill-set will translate to the NFL given his size. To reach his Brandin Cooks-level ceiling, Reagor needs to fine-tune his releases at the line of scrimmage to avoid getting overpowered. Until then, he’ll compete as a low-volume downfield weapon with the ability to excel in returning both kicks and punts from Day 1.

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Jul 20, 2020, 10:42 AM ET

Jalen Reagor has been learning the X receiver spot in coach Doug Pederson's offense.

Reagor profiles better in the slot, but with Alshon Jeffery (Lisfranc, active/PUP) sidelined and Marquise Goodwin opting out, the Eagles may need him to open the year on the outside. Playing in base sets would give Reagor a bump in snaps on one of most tight end heavy offenses in the league. Even if Jeffery is ready for Week 1, Reagor should beat out Greg Ward for a three-wide role. J.J. Arcega-Whiteside is also competing at the X spot.

SOURCE: pennlive.com

Aug 1, 2020, 10:02 AM ET

Wow, this is great news. This guy should be the first WR off the board if we are looking at situation, but I do understand Jeudy/Lamb being taken before him

Wow, this is great news. This guy should be the first WR off the board if we are looking at situation, but I do understand Jeudy/Lamb being taken before him
Yep but I don't understand why they say he profiles better in the slot. In general, most WRs are better in the slot because they more room, more route options and are less likely to see a premier CB. But I don't see anything about Reagor that says is more of a slot WR than outside WR. Based on size-skill combo, he seems like he can do similar things to Desean Jackson, Tyreek Hill, Brandin Cooks, OBJ, Will Fuller, etc. He isn't quite as fast as those guys and time will tell if he can be anywhere near as good but being 5'11" 206 and super explosive is a fine profile for an outside WR. 

Ilov80s said:
Yep but I don't understand why they say he profiles better in the slot. In general, most WRs are better in the slot because they more room, more route options and are less likely to see a premier CB. But I don't see anything about Reagor that says is more of a slot WR than outside WR. Based on size-skill combo, he seems like he can do similar things to Desean Jackson, Tyreek Hill, Brandin Cooks, OBJ, Will Fuller, etc. He isn't quite as fast as those guys and time will tell if he can be anywhere near as good but being 5'11" 206 and super explosive is a fine profile for an outside WR. 
I think Reagor is very similar to someone like Deebo.  People thought Deebo couldn’t play outside but then they used him on gadgets as well as downfield.  I think Pederson is creative enough to have a similar impact.  Outside I don’t see as an issue, no idea where the “slot” thing comes from either.  

My biggest concern is Deebo was way more polished as a route runner and the impact might not be the same. There could be more “wow” type of moments from Reagor but I’m just hoping for impact rather than expecting breakout.  

I think Reagor is very similar to someone like Deebo.  People thought Deebo couldn’t play outside but then they used him on gadgets as well as downfield.  I think Pederson is creative enough to have a similar impact.  Outside I don’t see as an issue, no idea where the “slot” thing comes from either.  

My biggest concern is Deebo was way more polished as a route runner and the impact might not be the same. There could be more “wow” type of moments from Reagor but I’m just hoping for impact rather than expecting breakout.  
I could see that rookie year. Deebo was a senior vs. Reagor being a junior so there was more time for him to develop. 

I can't remember a rookie WR EVER being rosterable for fantasy with the Eagles offense... I'd set the over/under (assuming 16 games) at 300 yards.

I can't remember a rookie WR EVER being rosterable for fantasy with the Eagles offense... I'd set the over/under (assuming 16 games) at 300 yards.
agreed.  Some of the people on these boards who have him at 800 yards seems wild to me.

I will take the over on that all day. Reagor could do that in 3 games.

I havent seen any projection for Reagor being that low. So while you may be fans and most familiar with the team your prognostications are way too pessimistic. The prop bet presented in the thread from earlier this year was 650 yards over double the line you are talking about.

Just because it hasn't happened before doesnt mean it wont happen now.

I did a search on rookie seasons for Eagles WR using your 300 yard requirement in the query.

It has happened 6 times since 1992 and only one instance of it happening prior to 2005.

DeSean Jackson, Jeremy Maclin and Jordan Matthews all exceeded 700 yards in their rookie seasons with the Eagles which would be the over for the prop bet of 650 yards presented earlier.

Biabreakable said:
I will take the over on that all day. Reagor could do that in 3 games.

I havent seen any projection for Reagor being that low. So while you may be fans and most familiar with the team your prognostications are way too pessimistic. The prop bet presented in the thread from earlier this year was 650 yards over double the line you are talking about.

Just because it hasn't happened before doesnt mean it wont happen now.

I did a search on rookie seasons for Eagles WR using your 300 yard requirement in the query.

It has happened 6 times since 1992 and only one instance of it happening prior to 2005.

DeSean Jackson, Jeremy Maclin and Jordan Matthews all exceeded 700 yards in their rookie seasons with the Eagles which would be the over for the prop bet of 650 yards presented earlier.
I think (hope) that he was being sarcastic with the 300 projection.  I wouldn't go that low either, especially with Alshon on the PUP.

FBG staffers have all bumped their Reagor projections up with the Alshon news.  The 5 of them now average 585 yards projected for him.

I still go under 650, but it's closer now with Alshon out.

I think (hope) that he was being sarcastic with the 300 projection.  I wouldn't go that low either, especially with Alshon on the PUP.

FBG staffers have all bumped their Reagor projections up with the Alshon news.  The 5 of them now average 585 yards projected for him.

I still go under 650, but it's closer now with Alshon out.
Yeah maybe this is just a minor factor but Goodwin opting out also increases the likelihood of Reagor being utilized in my opinion.

If somehow the season happens, here is what I project:

16 games played

12 games 'started"

56 catches/758 yards/6 tds

3 rushes 20 yards 0 tds

Game stats are gonna look "Desean-esque"

Eagles training camp 2020 observations Day 1: Football is back!

Excerpts:

A good first day for 1st-round pick Jalen Reagor. Aside from a couple muffed punts earlier in the day, Reagor looked solid as a returner and explosive on offense. His best catch came on a diving grab in the corner of the end zone from Wentz. 

https://twitter.com/dzangaronbcs/status/1295370918471114752?s=21

Without J.J. Arcega-Whiteside and Alshon Jeffery, Reagor was working as the X receiver to start. So in 11 personnel, the Eagles had Reagor, DeSean Jackson and Greg Ward out there. Then other guys mixed in. 

Urge a little caution here, because at the same time last year JJAW was being equally hyped from similar sources.  That being said, It’s nice to read.

Urge a little caution here, because at the same time last year JJAW was being equally hyped from similar sources.  That being said, It’s nice to read.
I can attest to this. I just feel athletically, they are two different types. It showed up in scouting film and its showing on the practice field (for both guys) right now. 

• Smile
Reactions: Hoh
Except Reagor is a 5x better prospect than JJAW ever was
When we were talking about numbers for the prop bet on Reagors rookie season, I found 3 WR who had over 700 yards for the Eagles in their rookie seasons.

Jeremy Maclin

DeSean Jackson

Jordan Matthews.

As a prospect I think Reagor is better than Maclin or Matthews. I have to pause before saying he is better than Jackson who has had a pretty special career. I think he is better than the other two easily though.

When we were talking about numbers for the prop bet on Reagors rookie season, I found 3 WR who had over 700 yards for the Eagles in their rookie seasons.

Jeremy Maclin

DeSean Jackson

Jordan Matthews.

As a prospect I think Reagor is better than Maclin or Matthews. I have to pause before saying he is better than Jackson who has had a pretty special career. I think he is better than the other two easily though.
Agree here. Desean is just something else with the agility/speed. Maclin was an athlete, and this is a good comp., but I agree also that Reagor is a bit more athletic than Maclin, who never had the vert this guy has. 

JMatt - production/scheme really helped him as he was not nearly in the same category as the other 3 as far as athletic testing. 

Reagor I think will have a nice year. 

Jeremy Maclin

DeSean Jackson

Jordan Matthews.

Not sure that matters though. All those guys played their rookie years under different coaching staffs and probably different QBs. None of those coaches or QBs will be in Philly this year. 

Agree here. Desean is just something else with the agility/speed. Maclin was an athlete, and this is a good comp., but I agree also that Reagor is a bit more athletic than Maclin, who never had the vert this guy has. 

JMatt - production/scheme really helped him as he was not nearly in the same category as the other 3 as far as athletic testing. 

Reagor I think will have a nice year. 
Matthews is a better athlete than people remember because after he never was able to recover athletically from his knee injury. 6'3", 212 with a 4.46 40. Maclin was 4.45 at a much smaller size. 

Not sure that matters though. All those guys played their rookie years under different coaching staffs and probably different QBs. None of those coaches or QBs will be in Philly this year. 

Matthews is a better athlete than people remember because after he never was able to recover athletically from his knee injury. 6'3", 212 with a 4.46 40. Maclin was 4.45 at a much smaller size. 
Agree here, Matthews just never played fast. I'm not going to bother looking it up and haha not really trying to argue here, but I'm gonna guess he was not the best 3-cone guy. Production literally matched Dez' Bryants first 2 years in the league which is kind of crazy. Once he did get the knee injury, he was a different player though, this is true. Good guy, sucks he wasn't here the year we won it all. 

But back to Reagor - I really do think he is going to be a bit of a bully. Seems to be having a really good rookie camp "catching everything, is explosive, chemistry w Wentz" really checking all the boxes and he's practicing as a starter. I'm trying to temper my expectations, bc it is the Eagles, but I'm optimistic he's going to be a real one. 

Users who are viewing this thread