What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Garrett Wilson, NYJ (3 Viewers)

Jets selected Ohio State WR Garrett Wilson with the No. 10 overall pick in the 2022 NFL Draft.

Wilson (6'2/183) emerged as a 20-year-old in 2020, accounting for 34% of Ohio State's receiving yardage and earning a first-team All-Big Ten selection. In 2021, he followed up with a 70-1,058-12 campaign while competing for targets with senior Chris Olave and sophomore sensation Jaxon Smith-Njigba. Wilson still managed to post a 27% yardage share and a 32% TD share, earning second-team All-Big honors. He declared for the NFL after his true junior season. With 4.38 speed, Wilson should be able to get behind NFL defenses, but he profiles as an all-around receiving threat rather than a pure deep threat. Wilson played 73% of his snaps in the slot in his breakout 2020 before moving out-wide for 83% of his snaps in 2021. He was at 3.0 YPRR or better in both seasons, and versatility is a major strength of his game. He should have no trouble doing whatever is asked of him in the NFL, projecting as a more athletic Calvin Ridley. For the Jets, look for Wilson to bookend Corey Davis outside with Elijah Moore and Braxton Berrios working on the inside. It's yet another weapon for 2021 No. 2 overall pick QB Zach Wilson.

Apr 28, 2022, 9:15 PM ET

Not much chatter on him really ? 

I’ve traded down to the 1.05 and I’m trying to weigh up Williams/Burks/Wilson. Don’t like London. I know not all of these guys will be there, but still, anyone with any knowledge to impart on Wilson ? 

Last edited by a moderator:
Jets’ Garrett Wilson draws comps to 3 Pro Bowl receivers, NFL insider says

Excerpt:

General manager Joe Douglas hopes Wilson will team with quarterback Zach Wilson to form one of the top passing duos in the NFL.

There’s a good chance of that happening if Garrett Wilson lives up to the comparisons tossed around by SI’s Albert Breer in his weekly mailbag.

If you want to get excited, here are three comps for Wilson I’ve heard over the last few years: DeAndre Hopkins, Stefon Diggs, CeeDee Lamb. All of those guys are averaged-sized receivers with go-go gadget arms who play much bigger than they are, and can attack the defense on all three levels. To me, that’s who Wilson is, too.

The 29-year-old Hopkins is a five-time Pro Bowl selection and three-time All-Pro with six 1,000-yard receiving seasons on his resume.

The 28-year-old Diggs is a two-time Pro Bowl selection and one-time All-Pro with four straight 1,000-yard receiving seasons to his credit.

The 23-year-old Lamb is coming off his first Pro Bowl season after setting career highs with 79 receptions, 1,102 yards and six touchdowns.

If the 21-year-old Garrett Wilson come close to matching what that trio has accomplished, the Jets will have themselves a bona fide No. 1 wide receiver for years to come.

I’ve traded down to the 1.05 and I’m trying to weigh up Williams/Burks/Wilson. Don’t like London. I know not all of these guys will be there, but still, anyone with any knowledge to impart on Wilson ? 
No inside info, buy he’s my pick of the WRs. 

No inside info, buy he’s my pick of the WRs. 
Yeah. As we say in the UK, he looks like a Rolls Royce of a player. Just think he looks like the best all round WR in the draft, albeit that Williams might be the challenger if not for injury. 

Jets signed No. 10 overall pick WR Garrett Wilson to a four-year, $20.55 million contract.

The deal is fully guaranteed and comes with a fifth-year team option. After the Jets struck out on Tyreek Hill and Deebo Samuel trades, Wilson was the choice at 10th overall. Look for Wilson and Corey Davis to operate on the outside with sophomore Elijah Moore manning the slot for Zach Wilson.

May 18, 2022, 1:27 PM ET

I liked him (Wilson) as the WR1 of this class.

He lacks London’s height, but he’s quick, runs crisp routes, can line up all over the field, and he has sure hands.

And it’s a situation where if Wilson really is that Konami-code QB of the future, the two young players could develop some chemistry for years to come. So I like the landing spot as well. With so many teams playing with subpar QBs, he certainly could have found a worse situation than to be connected with one of the top QB prospects. 

Last edited by a moderator:
How do people feel about him in redraft compared to the Lockett, Aiyuk, Kirk, Lazard types?
Wilson might be very good. But there a good chance that Elijah Moore is better. Moore looked electric with the ball in his hands, as a receiver and runner. With better QB play Moore will challenge for 1,000 yards. Plus, Berrios and Davis will compete for the ball.

Paul Andrew Esden Jr. @BoyGreen25
Woah @BaldyNFL just said #Jets rookie WR Garrett Wilson (@GarrettWilson_V) ‘has a chance to be a legitimate big-time star’ 👀 + ‘he’s got spring in his step, can adjust to ball in the air, & he’s making sensational catches every single day’: 🎥 @nflnetwork #TakeFlight #JetsCamp

Last night when I posted, I said to myself "By the time I wake in the morning there will be three links from Faust." :wub:

The Athletic's Zack Rosenblatt reports Garrett Wilson has "made a bad habit of following up highlight-reel catches with bad drops throughout camp."​

However, Rosenblatt reports the No. 10 overall pick "continues to make an impression with his elite-level athleticism." In other words, Wilson is sounding like most first-round receivers in camp. More than any issue with camp drops, Wilson's primary early-season concerns are his target competition and quarterback issues. Elijah Moore and Corey Davis are there to divvy up looks while Zach Wilson (knee) will be sidelined for a time for Joe Flacco. WR4 returns will be a tall early-season ask.
SOURCE: The Athletic
Aug 25, 2022, 4:02 PM ET

Garrett Wilson caught 4-of-8 targets for 52 yards in the Jets' Week 1 loss to the Ravens.

The rookie looked the part, regularly creating separation and showing strong hands on contested catches. Every New York receiver saw his targets artificially inflated by a runaway negative game script that generated 59 pass attempts for Joe Flacco. It's notable that Garrett out-targeted Elijah Moore on the day. This could be a spread-it-around New York offense that doesn't lend itself to a clear alpha wideout this year.

- NBCSportsEDGE

Who is the better option between he and Corey Davis this season? As much as they will be playing behind us there some value here?

Everyone's going to say Wilson in this thread, and I'm the biggest homer there is, but Corey Davis can play. He kind of unlucked into the scenario of the Jets getting a bargain with Moore and a special talent you don't pass in Wilson so he's likely going to need to move on again but until he does I think this is a big huge split.

Big game. Just based on the parts of the game they showed on RedZone, Flacco seemed to be looking for him on every play

Garrett Wilson caught 8-of-14 targets for 102 yards and two touchdowns in the Jets' Week 2 win over the Browns.​

With Corey Davis seeing a lot of CB Denzel Ward and Braxton Berrios battling a heel issue, Wilson was extremely active in three-wide sets and paced the team with his 14 targets, good for a robust 31.8% share. Wilson was surgical, catching an over-the-shoulder two-yard touchdown in the second quarter before winning the game with a 15-yarder with 22 second to play. Wilson showed why he was the No. 10 overall pick in April and should easily displace Berrios the rest of the way. Wilson should be added everywhere available ahead of a Week 3 date with the Bengals.
Sep 18, 2022, 4:28 PM ET

Daniel Jeremiah @MoveTheSticks

Looked at all of Garrett Wilson's targets vs CLE. He had a HUGE game but it could've been even better. Flacco was a little off on 4 targets (including 2 would be TD's) and Wilson had the big drop late in the 4th Q. This dude is special.

Michael Siciliano @MikeSiciliano_2
DJ, who is your comp for G Wilson?

Daniel Jeremiah @MoveTheSticks

Predraft comp was Stefon Diggs. I'll stick with that one.

Garrett Wilson ran 36 routes in Week 2 against the Browns, matching WR Corey Davis.​

Wilson played 61% of snaps in Week 2, which was up considerably from 49% in Week 1. In terms of snaps, Wilson remained the clear No. 3 wide receiver behind Elijah Moore (86%) and Davis (77%). However, Wilson took more running plays off than passing plays, which cause the snaps to understate his role. Wilson ran a route on 75% of dropbacks, which matched Davis, and is a level at which he should be fantasy relevant moving forward. Of course, Wilson's 32% target share and 8-102-2 receiving line could easily lead to another role increase in Week 3. Wilson is shaping up as a solid FLEX option for Week 3 against the Bengals.
RELATED:
SOURCE: Pro Football Focus
Sep 19, 2022, 12:25 PM ET

(Mostly redraft question)

What happens when Flaco returns to the bench? Will ZWilson to Wilson (or Wilson[2], Wilson Bros, Wil-Wil, Wil-son, ZWil to GWil) be a thing THIS season?

I'd add an opinion but sadly have had zero exposure to Wilson the qb. Off to search for some youtube footage, but cutups can easily paint a false narrative.

So, Mike Greenberg (who is prone to hyperbole) said he thought that Wilson was the best WR the Jets have had in his lifetime. He was gushing all over him as a legitimate superstar WR going forward.

I'm thinking of using my waiver priority to grab Wilson if he really has that kind of upside. Sadly I've not seen a snap of Jets football this year, so could use some insight from anyone who actually had some eyeballs on the Jets in these first two games. Is this kid for real or this just typical talk show overreaction? The 12 catches on 22 targets over 2 weeks are no joke and the kind of stats an every week starter puts up no matter what league you are in.

So, Mike Greenberg (who is prone to hyperbole) said he thought that Wilson was the best WR the Jets have had in his lifetime. He was gushing all over him as a legitimate superstar WR going forward.
I listened to that segment, Greenberg was joking around. He likes Wilson but was being funny about how after 2 games, Wilson was already an all time great, blah, blah, blah. That said. Jeremiah comped Wilson to Diggs in the lead up to the draft. Dan Orlovsky had him as the best player in the draft and comped him to Jefferson.

He's one of those guys that are always open, he creates separation easily, runs great routes and has freakish long arms and large hands for his body. He'll be a target hog, plus he seems to be the player they look to in the redzone/endzone. I grabbed him 2 years ago in a Devy league and got him at 1.8 in a Dynasty this year. I liked him a lot, but have to admit, going to the Jets made me concerned. Obviously he'll have his up and downs, but down the road I like him to be one of those guys that get 90-100 catches a year.

I'm thinking of using my waiver priority to grab Wilson if he really has that kind of upside.

Depends on your league make-up and who is available, of course, but unless you're RB-needy or have reason to think you'll be, I'd use priority on him. This guy is going to have ups and downs as a rookie and as a member of the Jets, but he's a bona fide stud in the making.

Beware of the ups and downs, though. Two things about the Jets -- they'll have a rookie quarterback coming back who is not impressive in the least, and they have a ton of skill position players now who will be clamoring for the ball. That's not often said about the Jets and skill position players, but it's true. They finally look like an NFL offense with a bunch of weapons. But that QB situation is sticky. I'd still blow priority on him. He's likely the best shot you have at greatness the rest of the way on the wire.

Users who are viewing this thread