What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Elijah Moore, CLE (1 Viewer)

Ministry of Pain said:
Whoever drafts Moore as the WR4-5-6 off the board is going to get a steal in the 20-50 range of the Draft. 
I think that's true for any of the receivers in that range.  He's not far behind Smith, waddle, or chase. But the tier with him, bateman, or marshall is really nice. I have the 1.10 in sf and really like what I see there. 

I haven't spoken to a single decision-maker in the past week who doesn't have Ole Miss' Elijah Moore as that team's No. 4 wide receiver in the class. Most seem to have Ja'Marr Chase first, and then DeVonta Smith and Jaylen Waddle are in some order at No. 2 and No. 3. But Moore is getting buzz and appears set to be the fourth wideout drafted.
- Todd McShay

Jets selected Ole Miss WR Elijah Moore with the No. 34 overall pick in the 2021 NFL Draft.

Moore was viewed as a borderline first-rounder, so this is a good get for the Jets at the top of the second round. It also likely spells doom for veteran slot man Jamison Crowder, as the Jets can save $10.375 million in cap space by cutting Crowder. Moore (5'9/178) was the focal point of Lane Kiffin's offense in 2020, leading the FBS in catches (10.8) and receiving yards (149.1) per game as a mismatch in space from the slot. He also broke A.J. Brown’s school record for receptions in a season (86). While he was only used out wide on 147 (8.4%) career snaps, Moore's elite 4.35 forty, flat 4.0-second shuttle, and 91st percentile three-cone at 6.67 seconds suggests he's a pure athlete who can succeed anywhere on the field. He'll excel underneath on jet sweeps, screens, and slants until NFL coaches figure out how else to use him. The Jets will likely feature Moore in the slot between newcomer Corey Davis and sophomore Denzel Mims. Keelan Cole is available as depth.

Apr 30, 2021, 7:23 PM ET

It’s intriguing.  I liked him a lot going into the draft.  

i think he’s in a good position to succeed.  The Jets have put a lot into making sure Wilson works out.  Wilson at 2, OL later in the 1st.  OL 1st round last year.  I’m not saying Wilson is a future hall of famer.  But they’re going to give him the tools to succeed.  And Moore’s fantasy value will piggyback nicely off of that.

I think Elijah Moore and Jaylen Waddle are much closer comps, than Waddle and Tyreek. Tyreek has Bob Hayes speed, while Moore and Waddle are just very fast. And neither of their QBs are likely to have the success of Mahomes, although Wilson's arm is close. So, my long term expectations on Moore and Waddle are modest.

I had forgotten that Tua can throw the ball 50 yards. This is the Tua to Smith TD to beat Auburn when both were true freshmen:

https://www.secsports.com/video/22009259/alabama-wins-title-tagovailoa-walk-td-pass

The Athletic's Connor Hughes noted Jets WR Elijah Moore has "been the most impressive player at OTAs and it’s not really close."

Moore (5'9/178), the Jets' second-round pick this year, has played inside and outside receiver during his brief time in OTAs. Hughes also noted that Moore has been uncoverable near the goal line which is doubly impressive given his lack of size. If the Jets decide to keep Jamison Crowder, Moore will likely open the year competing with Denzel Mims for reps on the outside. Mims, who has worked with the second-team offense so far, already looks to be falling behind Moore. Don't be surprised to see Moore's fantasy stock skyrocket if he continues to impress throughout the summer. 

RELATED: 

Denzel Mims

, Jamison Crowder

SOURCE: The Athletic

Jun 8, 2021, 8:49 PM ET

Connor Hughes

@Connor_J_Hughes

Elijah Moore catches another touchdown in red zone drills. He looks really, really good #Jets

----------------------

Connor Hughes

@Connor_J_Hughes

Also in this report from yesterday

• - Elijah Moore is the best player at these practices
  • - Keelan Cole continues to impress as he works ahead of Mims
  • - Another secondary mixup
  • - Lawson returns
  • - 7-on-7 PXP
  • - 11-on-11 PXP

I think that's true for any of the receivers in that range.  He's not far behind Smith, waddle, or chase. But the tier with him, bateman, or marshall is really nice. I have the 1.10 in sf and really like what I see there. 
Agreed many stating that there is a considerable tier drop after 8 or so in 1 QB and 2 QB Dynasty league rookie drafts

Essentially I think you have to put Pitts into a tier of his own  We may never see another TE with his measurables , athleticism, and speed. Sure he could bust like anyone else but can you recall a ceiling like the one he had?

Then in various orders dependent on league, rules,starting lineup req - Harris, Chase, Ettiene, Lawrence 

Williams, Waddle, Smith

I don’t have an issue with anyone slipping Sermon, Lance, Bateman, and/or E Moore into the above tier. I good argument can be made for each of them.

Jets coach Robert Saleh has been extremely impressed with second-round WR Elijah Moore's spring. 

“His work ethic is off the charts,” Saleh said this week. “His mindset is off the charts. We’re excited to continue working with him so we can see him get better.” Saleh also praised Moore's versatility. “One of the things that’s really been great for him, not that it’s been a surprise, but to see it actually happen, what makes those guys difficult to defend is he can line up as the Z, F or X (receiver). He can line up wherever you want, and he’s going to execute it at a very high level.” Moore impressed the media and coaching staff in equal measure this spring. It's becoming clear his summer ADP will be on an exponential slope. 

SOURCE: Associated Press 

Jun 12, 2021, 10:41 AM ET

#2 on my boards and I'm not talking dynasty FF, just pure NFL talent and ability, really like this kid a lot and think he will have a steady NFL career. Not very tall but has the right combo of speed, hands, and ability to make the tough catch, can lay out for passes which is vital when you get in the NFL, I think he is ready to roll.  
Can't say I am surprised one bit this kid looks like the best player at camp. He was NFL ready and is an immediate upgrade for their receiving corp. 

Sure seems Mims is toast but I wonder what resigning Crowder will mean. There was speculation he was being resigned for the purpose of a trade, but if not he is a veteran playmaker that could eat into E Moore this rookie season. I know rookie WR seasons are typically risky to bet on anyway, but if Crowder *isn't* there I think I like Moore quite a bit in 2021. His price is reasonable enough around the 10th to 12th in redrafts. 

He wasn't re-signed. He was under contract for over $10MM and was asked to take a pay cut - which he did.
Fair, so do you think he ultimately is on the roster this season? I am admittedly ignorant on contract nuances but still wondering if this makes a trade more likely.

I hope they trade him. I think him agreeing to the paycut eliminates the possibility of being released - I'm not sure what happens ultimately but my guess he's on the roster opening day.
I was thinking trade. It seems that it's going to be awfully hard to keep Moore on the bench even though you can never have too many receivers. Ask Tampa Bay, who just drafted Darden when they had Miller and Tyler Johnson. But I thought trade was actually the most likely. They're not likely going to release him, especially after he agreed to a restructured deal to save cap space. If they were going to release him, they probably would have done so after the June 1st cut-off.

I think Crowder will be on the opening day roster with a good chance to be traded by the deadline when injuries happen during the season......they will find ways to get Moore on the field but may need to be patient for the full time role.  I have a feeling they will try to feature Crowder to enhance trade value....

barackdhouse said:
Fair, so do you think he ultimately is on the roster this season? I am admittedly ignorant on contract nuances but still wondering if this makes a trade more likely.
I've not seen details on his pay cut yet but I'm guessing his pay got cut in half and is around the $5M mark. Maybe those numbers will be different and I'll re-assess but I don't think he will be traded. Accepting a legit pay cut is an acknowledgment that whatever they are asking you to reduce your pay down it's still more then you'd feel great about making on the open market after they cut you. So I don't think there's a market right now for teams wanting to pay Crowder $5M or so AND kick in comp to the Jets, no matter how meager that comp might be. As Kiddnets mentioned a few posts up it's possible near the trade deadline or into the season when  a need might develop and also the pay you'd take on decreases each week of the season but it's not like a lot of teams find themselves in dire need of a quality slot. So could get traded in-season, not banking on it.

What does this mean to Moore? There is no real positive unless you want to really get desperate and say Crowder can help mentor him. It's another mouth to feed, it would seem to knock Moore off from "owning" the slot job. And saying all that it would not in any way stop from me from spending the going rate to acquire Moore, in redraft or dynasty.

Can't remember which beat writer wrote this but way they envision it is Davis and Cole as primary outside WR's, Crowder as primary slot, and Elijah all over the place. If people view Elijah as just a slot I don't think they are viewing him correctly, he's actually about as versatile as it gets. He'll get used in the slot, outside and a lot of the kind of stuff we saw with Deebo and I think do all of those things very well. Cream naturally rises to the crop  and attrition will also eventually set in to the anticipated WR rotation. So while again I find no positive in Crowder remaining I'd sure not that scare me off either.

I think the Jets like Crowder more than most are implying here. I see he and Moore playing together. If anything it means Mims is less likely to get significant reps. You can have 2 smaller/slot type WRs and still have a good offense. Gary Clark and Ricky Sanders both smaller stature guys were a pretty good duo with Monk.  :wub:

Last edited by a moderator:
pretty sure I said something similar about bisi johnson and justin jefferson when word was that bisi johnson was the week 1 starter

but theres no way keelan cole is stopping elijah moore from anything

I know Crowder is primarily a slot (obviously) but it seems to me he can win everywhere as well. Davis/Crowder/Moore is better than whatever Cole and Mims bring. If the cream rises to the top then those are the 3 they should be putting out there. Doubt it happens that way though.

Users who are viewing this thread