What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Denzel Mims, NYJ (1 Viewer)

I'm skeptical he won in college primarily due to his physical superiority vs the competition and that it won't translate to the pros. I was more receptive to him last month than I would have guessed before last season - really developed as a play maker down field, has a plan but adjusts based on ball location/leverage on opponent - everything about his H/W/S game is smooth, relaxed, and natural. And you don't like him? Well, I wouldn't say I dislike him. I'd say I dislike his risks. I think a dysfunctional organization like the Jets is the sort of environment to make them more likely to come to fruition. And stronger ones passing on him left me thinking those risks were greater than the alternatives. 

The line between a fluid athlete and playing small is a thin one. NFL teams gets this wrong just like we do, but I look at a team like the Steelers - a team with success identifying and developing wide receivers. Void of a first round pick this year and their primary skill positions on offense expiring at season's end. Their pick comes up and most expect it to be offense and they choose...Chase Claypool over Mims? Really? Now, maybe it's as simple as they see him as a good compliment in the slot to Diontae Johnson and James Washington beginning next year. But you have the opportunity to pick a down field play maker and you instead pick a role player? Then my immediate thought - maybe they think Mims is on the wrong side of that fluid athlete/playing small line.

So I'll happily be wrong with him on someone else's team. He just doesn't pass my risk assessment relative to the rest of this class.
What you mean by fluid athlete vs playing small as it pertains to Mims?

Aside from his Thursday night ineptitude in the rain against Carolina last year, Perriman flashed nicely for the Bucs. As a Jets fan, I hope it continues. And what's with this wretched franchise talk, Hue? 
Perriman should be set for a good year.   He looked great for the Bucs at the end of the season.  

I wondered about that. I still think the Steelers are either holding out hope or have discussed Claypool moving to TE. That doesn't make any sense, though, to do that without announcing it, so who knows? But I quibble with your analysis. Claypool wasn't and wouldn't be really a role player, he's a downfield play maker. And Washington and Johnson are lining up outside, pushing Juju to the inside. Rotoworld of all places had the blurb of the OC that they were sticking to Claypool playing outside. At least that's what they say now. It makes lilttle sense to have 6'4" coming out the slot, even though I know there are big slots. 

So I'm not sure that the Steelers passing on Mims means; whether it was because a lot of people were confused/titillated by the depth of the class, or whether they know something we don't, as is their usual. But a lot of people watched Claypool's tape and didn't care for it. Said he played slow.

It just means that everyone is fallible, IMHO. 
This. I'm not convinced Claypool is good enough off the line with his releases and gets enough separation to win at the NFL level on the outside. I'd love to see him move to TE and have taken him in a couple dynasty leagues with that in mind. 

@MAC_32 It's interesting you bring CC up when talking about Mims. I see two different players if we're talking about playing WR outside. CC is an uber athlete and got drafted by the Steelers. Those are the only two things I see in the + column at this stage (draft pedigree also). Again, I hope they move CC to TE or he replaces JuJu in the slot if JuJu moves on. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I actually chose Mims over Claypool in my rookie draft. The major tiebreaker for me was young Darnold vs. old Ben. Who knows who is going to be the QB for PIT in the near future. Darnold/Mims could turn into a great combo.

I think MAC32 makes a good point about Mims being the 13th WR selected and I haven't really considered Mims from that angle enough maybe. I did give consideration to draft position of course but I was still willing to rank Mims ahead of several WR drafted before him mostly based on my pre draft evaluation of the players. As far as the Mims and Claypool comparison, I believe I already discussed the comparison in the Claypool thread. Claypool has a later break out age than Mims has and was not as productive in his college career as Mims was.

We are only talking about a difference of 10 picks between Claypool and Mims. To me the college production and pre draft evaluation outwiegh the draft position in Mims favor by a lot.

Obviously the Steelers thought differently. It is going to be super hard for me to argue that the Steelers haven't been a WR factory in recent history. Big Ben may not be a good person but he is very good at the football plus the Steelers have been throwing the ball a ton providing more opportunity to their receivers. 

Steelers draft pick at WR since 2000

1 2020 2 49 Chase Claypool WR 22 0 0 0 Notre Dame College Stats
2 2019 3 66 Diontae Johnson WR 23 2019 2019 0 0 1 6 16 12 4 41 0 59 680 5 Toledo College Stats
3 2018 2 60 James Washington WR 22 2018 2019 0 0 1 8 29 16 60 952 4 Oklahoma St. College Stats
4 2017 2 62 JuJu Smith-Schuster WR 20 2017 2019 0 1 2 24 42 32 1 13 0 211 2895 17 USC College Stats
5 2016 7 229 Demarcus Ayers WR 22 2016 2016 0 0 0 0 2 1 2 -12 0 6 53 1 Houston College Stats
6 2015 3 87 Sammie Coates WR 22 2015 2018 0 0 0 4 45 6 4 14 0 29 528 2 Auburn College Stats
7 2014 3 97 Dri Archer WR 23 2014 2015 0 0 0 0 20 0 10 40 0 7 23 0 Kent St. College Stats
8 2014 4 118 Martavis Bryant WR 22 2014 2018 0 0 1 19 44 18 17 94 1 145 2183 17 Clemson College Stats
9 2013 3 79 Markus Wheaton WR 22 2013 2018 0 0 2 13 59 22 4 19 0 110 1559 8 Oregon St. College Stats
10 2013 6 186 Justin Brown WR 22 2014 2014 0 0 0 1 8 1 12 94 0 Oklahoma College Stats
11 2012 7 231 Toney Clemons WR 23 2012 2012 0 0 0 0 4 0 3 41 0 Colorado College Stats
12 2010 3 82 Emmanuel Sanders WR 23 2010 2019 0 2 7 55 144 104 18 159 1 601 7893 42 SMU College Stats
13 2010 6 195 Antonio Brown WR 22 2010 2019 4 7 7 87 131 103 32 124 0 841 11263 75 Central Michigan College Stats
14 2009 3 84 Mike Wallace WR 23 2009 2018 0 1 8 57 144 124 34 241 0 538 8072 57 Mississippi College Stats
15 2008 2 53 Limas Sweed WR 23 2008 2009 0 0 0 1 20 0 7 69 0 Texas College Stats
16 2007 7 227 Dallas Baker WR 24 2008 2008 0 0 0 0 8 0 1 6 0 Florida College Stats
17 2006 1 25 Santonio Holmes WR 22 2006 2014 0 0 6 47 112 91 16 89 0 389 6030 36 Ohio St. College Stats
18 2006 3 95 Willie Reid WR 23 2006 2007 0 0 0 1 7 0 4 54 0 Florida St. College Stats
19 2005 4 131 Fred Gibson WR 0 0 0 Georgia College Stats
20 2002 2 62 Antwaan Randle El WR 23 2002 2010 0 0 4 41 143 71 79 438 0 370 4467 15 Indiana College Stats
21 2002 6 202 Lee Mays WR 23 2002 2006 0 0 0 1 49 1 11 154 0 Texas-El Paso College Stats
22 2001 7 218 Chris Taylor WR 0 0 0 Texas A&M College Stats
23 2000 1 8 Plaxico Burress WR 23 2000 2012 0 0 10 69 148 138 1 -7 0 553 8499 64 Michigan St. College Stats
24 2000 4 103 Danny Farmer WR 23 2000 2002 0 0 0 5 33 4 43 611 1 UCLA College

The Steelers didn't draft Antonio Brown until the 6th round pick. To me that is similar to the Vikings getting Stefon DIggs in the 5th round. The Steelers and Vikings got lucky these guys were so good, I don't think that was the expectation when they drafted them. Otherwise they would have been higher picks.

There are quite a few dud picks in there also. Bryant had an awesome half season but he was always a risk and that is why he fell as far as he did in 2014 along with there also being so many other good WR in that draft.

Like I said its hard to argue Pittsburgh hasn't done a good job selecting WRs. They have gotten production out of most of these guys above in one way or another and most of them are 2nd or 3rd round picks.

As far as the value of those 10 selections between Claypool and Mims according to the generic rookie rankings  the difference of their draft position is worth 6 career VBD, so not that much at all.

This  look at the historic value says WR selected says the 12th and 13th WR selected have worse odds of providing VBD than the first 11 picks do. However I would also say that the 2020 WR class was better than an average draft class at that position.

I actually chose Mims over Claypool in my rookie draft. The major tiebreaker for me was young Darnold vs. old Ben. Who knows who is going to be the QB for PIT in the near future. Darnold/Mims could turn into a great combo.
I did the same and honestly Claypool wasn’t even on my radar at the time.

This. I'm not convinced Claypool is good enough off the line with his releases and gets enough separation to win at the NFL level on the outside. I'd love to see him move to TE and have taken him in a couple dynasty leagues with that in mind. 

@MAC_32 It's interesting you bring CC up when talking about Mims. I see two different players if we're talking about playing WR outside. CC is an uber athlete and got drafted by the Steelers. Those are the only two things I see in the + column at this stage (draft pedigree also). Again, I hope they move CC to TE or he replaces JuJu in the slot if JuJu moves on. 
I think they are completely different players, but a tight end Claypool is not. He's a wide receiver. I think he is a pieces are greater than the whole wide receiver, but a team with a history of success identifying and developing receivers picked that guy over this guy. Then I'm left wondering why. Because if Mims really is special you don't pick a role player over that. 

What you mean by fluid athlete vs playing small as it pertains to Mims?
H/W/S guys have a natural advantage because they are bigger and faster than their competition. I think his style of play has a tendency to offset that advantage. Or at least may in the transition to the pros. I don't see a sense of urgency when I watch him run, go in-and-out of breaks, and make a play on the ball. It works in college because he is bigger, faster, and stronger than his opponent. He doesn't need to create much separation - he can just out-leverage and doesn't need to out-muscle. But that won't be the case with his competition at this level, so he won't have that natural advantage. Or at least as much of it. So will he still be able to make those plays against the tighter coverage he will see at this level? Will he develop another level that unlocks an ability to separate that he didn't show at Baylor?

There's a part of me that thinks I'm reading too much into him, but I nit pick when it comes to fallers. I want to figure out why they did then be comfortable with a likelihood that they overcome it. And I've been surprised his market rate in our game has not changed much despite that fall. Pre-draft I was waffling between him, Edwards, Aiyuk for WR's 9, 10, and 11. Post draft I realized I didn't need to make that decision. The competition is deciding for me. If I don't get a priority then just sit and wait on Edwards.

Denzel Mims drew a serious player comparison in the Player Profiler "most similar to" category: He drew Chris Godwin. They point this out on the front page of their website.

If true, that's sick, heady stuff I'll take any day. 

Love  Mims talent.

If....and most likely when the Jets start out slow, my hope is to buy him low.    Just a matter of time until Gase is gone and they get real offensive production.

Jets signed second-round WR Denzel Mims to a four-year, $5.5 million contract.

A three-year starter at Baylor, Mims (6’3/207) barely saw the field as a freshman prior to becoming the only player in college football to score at least eight receiving touchdowns in each of the last three years. His collegiate production turned heads, but it was his comfortability with a full route tree at Senior Bowl practices and jaw-dropping 40 (4.38), position-best three-cone (6.66 seconds), and sky-high vertical (38.5 inches) at the NFL Combine that launched him up draft boards. Mims is at his best on vertical routes — 29 percent of his receiving yards came on the go route per PFF — but invites downfield jostling, finishing with the second-most contested catches (20) in FBS play last year. He may be disregarded as a 22-year-old non-declare who, as one anonymous scout put it, "doesn’t play special teams" at the next level, but Mims checks all the boxes of a late-round sleeper with the Jets. He should start alongside Breshad Perriman on the perimeter with Jamison Crowder in the slot.

SOURCE: Rich Cimini on Twitter

Jun 19, 2020, 1:58 PM ET

Just saw a graph of Mims's separation issues. He ranks remarkably towards the bottom of the receiver class in gaining separation at the college level. How will that translate to the professional level. It might be like JJ Arcega-Whiteside
I really struggle with these type of players and had the same first thought looking at the film. Mims does show/grade out as much faster and more athletic than JJAW.

I understand the bust risk and the reservations others have with him but I really think he is a stud.

Limited route tree as Baylor really simplifies their offense in that aspect but the routes he does run--he runs very well with a surprising amount of polish

I don't think separation will ever come easily for him but I don't think hands will be much of an issue--including in contested windows, especially with a QB who isn't afraid to sling it downfield and into tight windows. In that way I see a combo of DK and DJ Chark in Mims with some hints of Breshad Perriman if he gets the drop bug that plagued him his junior year. Broke out early, produced with bad QB play, tested well, good draft capital, so the only hole in his profile is that junior year hand injury, subsequent drop problems and the fact he couldn't declare until he was a senior

I actually think with the Jets depth chart he has a real shot to contribute early

Slapdash said:
I really struggle with these type of players and had the same first thought looking at the film. Mims does show/grade out as much faster and more athletic than JJAW.
 On 3/7/2020 at 3:40 PM, rockaction said:

Just saw a graph of Mims's separation issues. He ranks remarkably towards the bottom of the receiver class in gaining separation at the college level. How will that translate to the professional level. It might be like JJ Arcega-Whiteside
I just wanted to respond to this statement about Mims not getting separation from defensive backs in college.

I would like to see a link to what rockaction is referencing. I did a google search on the issue and I couldn't find anything talking about Mims having poor separation relative to other WR prospects.

I don't think he is like JJACW at all. Whiteside only had one thing he does well. Run up to the defender and box out. Hopefully make the catch (rebound) while Mims does need some work on his route running, he is miles ahead of Whiteside as far as his ability to run routes and get open.

I don't think he is like JJACW at all. Whiteside only had one thing he does well. Run up to the defender and box out. Hopefully make the catch (rebound) while Mims does need some work on his route running, he is miles ahead of Whiteside as far as his ability to run routes and get open.
He's also remarkably faster.

He was asked to go vertical a lot of the time, separation in routes is usually gained in higher numbers on shorter types of routes.  I don't think he'll have an issue when he does run a more diverse route tree.  

I just wanted to respond to this statement about Mims not getting separation from defensive backs in college.

I would like to see a link to what rockaction is referencing. I did a google search on the issue and I couldn't find anything talking about Mims having poor separation relative to other WR prospects.

More of the impression I got watching (limited) film on him. It reminded me of JJAW's film and how they make contested catches (rebounds). No doubt Mims is a much more explosive athelete. 

I wound up drafting him at 2.04 in a twelve-team rookie draft, so that should tell you that I took that article with a huge grain of salt.

I would have linked the article, @Biabreakable, but it was likely long gone from my screen or it, more likely, was behind a PFF or other paywall or something like that.

More of the impression I got watching (limited) film on him. It reminded me of JJAW's film and how they make contested catches (rebounds). No doubt Mims is a much more explosive athelete. 
These two don't belong in the same paragraph.

Totally what I thought watching highlights of Mims.  I still think Darnold can take a big step forward.  He hasn't ever had a great receiver.  They upgraded the o-line in the draft.  Adams is trying to bolt town.  I could see their defense being a mess and throwing a ton.   

These two don't belong in the same paragraph.
They don't. I think I started that as illustrative of separation concerns. Whiteside and Harry had them the previous year, that was the knock on Sims.

But he runs a 4.38. I'm not sure that comparison belongs anywhere near a 4.49.

I wound up drafting him at 2.04 in a twelve-team rookie draft, so that should tell you that I took that article with a huge grain of salt.

I would have linked the article, @Biabreakable, but it was likely long gone from my screen or it, more likely, was behind a PFF or other paywall or something like that.
No worries. I would be interested to read the criticism for the other side of the story on Mims.

I was doing some searching on Bryan Edwards earlier (didn't exactly find what I was looking for there) and came across a podcast with Matt Harmon and Matt Waldman talking about stuff. I didn't hear them talk about Bryan Edwards, but they both love Mims.

Reading in between the lines and listening to coachspeak, in addition to his interesting musings about Philly, I wonder if Mims has the mental makeup to make it in the pros. I sure hope so.

4.38 at 6'3". He's similar to DJ Chark physically and has better college production. There is so much to like about Mims. 
I was very happy to get him as the eighth rookie wr in a recent startup sf ppr dynasty draft in 12.8. I don’t think it will take long for him to become a favorite target of Darnold. Jets probably won’t be very good again, so hopefully this means more passing volume. 

I was very happy to get him as the eighth rookie wr in a recent startup sf ppr dynasty draft in 12.8. I don’t think it will take long for him to become a favorite target of Darnold. Jets probably won’t be very good again, so hopefully this means more passing volume. 
He's gotta get on the field and run the right routes. That they're talking about Vyncint Smith starting is alarming to Mims GMs everywhere. 

I'm a Shawn Jefferson fan; him being the NYJ WR coach helped me decide between rookie WRs this year. From the article above:

While those results at the next level aren’t going to come right away for the rookie receiver, he’s already shown Jets wide receiver coach Shawn Jefferson what he’s capable of during the team’s virtual meetings.

“As we started the virtual meetings, I started giving them tests and all the tests were based on a point system, so it was competitive among the group,” Jefferson told the team website. “I learned he’s a very competitive guy. He picks up things quite well and his self-awareness is intact. Every time I give a test on a certain thing and he didn’t get it, he’s like, ‘Coach, let’s run that test back.’ He wants to take it over again and run it back. That tells me he’s going to work hard and if he doesn’t get it, he’s going to put the time in to get it. I’m certainly glad to have him. He adds another dimension to our offense as well.”

He's gotta get on the field and run the right routes. That they're talking about Vyncint Smith starting is alarming to Mims GMs everywhere. 
That article said penciled in as number two receiver. To be honest I am fine if it takes him half a season to win out the job. I’m guessing by years end he is the top target for the Jets. 

That article said penciled in as number two receiver. To be honest I am fine if it takes him half a season to win out the job. I’m guessing by years end he is the top target for the Jets. 
Ah, I did read the article but saw in the articles below about Smith. Yeah, I don't need immediate rewards, just for him not to be a bust. 

The other thing that made me target him is his measurable. https://www.playerprofiler.com/nfl/denzel-mims/

Look up DK Metcalf, who is described as a freak. This guys profile is quite similar. Same height, little lighter, a lot more agile. 🤔

I think the only thing that would hold this guy back is a terrible terrible head coach that would insist on giving the playing time to the wrong players. 🙂 

They had to compare him to Stephen Hill, didn't they? This might be a double whammy for a Jets fan like me. 
Here is a comp on that tool to Metcalf. We can see they both are not great at 20 yard shuffle. But Mims much better at 3 cone. This probably means he can get in and out of cuts easier. I believe this is part of reason Metcalf has limited route tree. But all other categories it is either a tie or Metcalf better. But I think a three cone means a lot. I know the Pats coaching staff uses it as a top measurable. They prefer smaller and nimble a lot of times. But this Mims seems like he has a heckuva athletic ability that most wide receivers would kill for. https://www.mockdraftable.com/player/dk-metcalf

Here is a comp on that tool to Metcalf. We can see they both are not great at 20 yard shuffle. But Mims much better at 3 cone. This probably means he can get in and out of cuts easier. I believe this is part of reason Metcalf has limited route tree. But all other categories it is either a tie or Metcalf better. But I think a three cone means a lot. I know the Pats coaching staff uses it as a top measurable. They prefer smaller and nimble a lot of times. But this Mims seems like he has a heckuva athletic ability that most wide receivers would kill for. https://www.mockdraftable.com/player/dk-metcalf
Oh yeah, he's an elite athlete. The question is whether that translates into getting targets. 

Oh yeah, he's an elite athlete. The question is whether that translates into getting targets. 
Seems like main battle would be with Perriman. So my guess is rookie starts off slow and comes on as year wears on. This kind of what Metcalf did. Metcalf was pretty strong second half. Maybe a reasonable projection is 75 targets and 45 catches. Hopefully he flashes early and gets more timeshare like Metcalf who had 100 targets and 60 catches. You would think the head coach would try to get his rookie WR game time in a projected bad season for the Jets AND a screwy year for nfl in general. 

I think it's pretty well established that Mims is a bit raw - and the lack of an offseason is not ideal for a guy like that. I wouldn't expect big numbers this season. With that said a coaching staff deferring to a "veteran" over a rookie is pretty common and I wouldn't read too much into that.

I think it's pretty well established that Mims is a bit raw - and the lack of an offseason is not ideal for a guy like that. I wouldn't expect big numbers this season. With that said a coaching staff deferring to a "veteran" over a rookie is pretty common and I wouldn't read too much into that.
Oh, sure. It's just that one has hopes that someone rated that highly would be able to transcend those initial limitations and restrictions and step into the offense regardless. It may indeed take a while. No denying that.

Took him 2.04 in a PPR rookie draft last week and having some buyer's remorse.  The Jets just do not give me a good feeling at all.  Wishing I had gone with my gut and taken Bryan Edwards.

Took him 2.04 in a PPR rookie draft last week and having some buyer's remorse.  The Jets just do not give me a good feeling at all.  Wishing I had gone with my gut and taken Bryan Edwards.
I took him in the same spot and then grabbed Edwards at 2.07. So I can see where you'd have buyer's remorse. I'm not sure if it came down to it that I wouldn't have taken Patrick Queen at 2.04 in my league and then taken Edwards. 

Users who are viewing this thread