What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR D.J. Moore, CHI (1 Viewer)

Got him as my WR 2/3 (him and Scary Terry 3 picks apart) at the 3/4 turn in an Underdog best ball.  Underdog is often WR heavy.  Feel good about that this point.
I mean, it’s gotta be better than Darnold, right? 

If anyone checks the Mayfield topic, you’ll see I’m not a big fan. I’ve seen him play at a higher level than Darnold or Cam on his last legs.

I think Mayfield is a QB who won’t so much be a winner as he will be a boon to the stats of CAR’s skill players.

CMC owners should also breathe a sigh of relief at the upgrade. 

It seems like he’s unaware that anything has changed since last season.
What all has changed?  I must admit I've never had Moore on my fantasy teams, so I'm sure I'm not informed.  I don't think Mayfield and Darnold are that much help.  

What all has changed?  I must admit I've never had Moore on my fantasy teams, so I'm sure I'm not informed.  I don't think Mayfield and Darnold are that much help.  
I really like DJ, but I'm starting to feel like this could be a sell high moment.  

Mayfield is much better than Darnold and/or PJ Walker and/or washed up Cam Newton (the three QBs from last season).

Darnold and Walker were the two worst starting QBs in the league last season and Cam wasn’t far behind.

I really like DJ, but I'm starting to feel like this could be a sell high moment.  
I've coveted Moore for some time, and I'd tend to agree with both you and Dr. Octopus. I think, like Doc says, that Mayfield is much better than Darnold or Walker and Newton, but he's not good enough to carry Moore to his expected value and point total. 

In short, Mayfield is good enough for perception but not for reality. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Still really like him as a player. I'm just not sure there's a mean to regress to when it comes to touchdowns. It could be part of a skill set that is lacking in some way. 

While the Panthers have thrown for for about 300 yards more than their opponents against them in each of the last 2 seasons (hense Moore's decent yardage) they have thrown 14 and 16 TDs compared to their opponents 26 and 28 against them. More than a quarter of the team passing TDs have gone to Moore, which isn't horrible. 

I expect better results with Baker, but until the team develops an ability to score through the air, Moore will remain yardage dependent and capped around a mid-WR2. He's also still young and they might be bad enough to draft a quality QB next year and turn things around while he's still a key piece. Might.

I think he has the talent to be a WR1

Still really like him as a player. I'm just not sure there's a mean to regress to when it comes to touchdowns. It could be part of a skill set that is lacking in some way. 
2021 - CAR's 3 sad excuses for QB's combine for 14 TD's.  None of the 3 reach 60% completion rate, and all have more INT's than TD's.  Still, he accounts for 29% of the team TD total.  Put him on any of the top 8 TD passing teams and he is in double digits.

2020 - Teddy and PJ combined for 16 TD's, woo hoo.  DJ gets a 25% share.  Just think, in the last 2 years, CAR has thrown 30 TD's.  30 TD's in a single season has been accomplished 20 times in the last 2 years.

2019 - Kyle Allen and company combine for 17 TD's.  Over the last 3 seasons, they are dead last in TD passes with 47.  To put that pitiful number into perspective, Aaron Rodgers threw more than that in 2020 alone.

Since the start of 2019, Baker Mayfield has thrown 65 TD's.  That's not alot, but it's 18 more than the Panthers.  Baker WILL throw at least 20, and DJ WILL have more than 4 TD's.

D.J. Moore caught 3-of-6 targets for 43 yards in the Panthers' Week 1 loss to the Browns, adding a carry for seven yards.

Moore was held in check all game until a 26-yard reception in the fourth quarter. Myles Garrett and the Browns' defense harassed Baker Mayfield all day so it was hard for the passing game to get going. Moore should find more light at the end of the tunnel against a Giants' pass rush in Week 2 that isn't as ferocious.

- NBCSportsEDGE

D.J. Moore caught 3-of-6 targets for 43 yards and a touchdown in the Panthers' Week 2 loss against the Giants.

Two big catches (including his TD where he was wide open) kept Moore from having an ugly day. The passing game couldn't get going all day as the Giants' defensive line stayed in Baker Mayfield's face. It was thought that Mayfield would give Moore a boost, but that hasn't yet been the case. Moore faces a tough matchup in Week 3 in the Saints.

- NBCSportsEDGE

D.J. Moore caught 1-of-6 targets for two yards in the Panthers' Week 3 win over the Saints.

Moore added two carries for 13 yards. The Panthers tried to get more involved, but Baker Mayfield's arm wouldn't allow that to happen. He routinely missed the mark when targeting Moore, leading to him earning more yards on the ground than through the air. Moore still led the team with a 25 percent target share. Mayfield has struggled through three weeks and isn't likely to turn things around anytime soon, keeping more in the WR3 range for his Week 4 matchup with the Cardinals.

- NBCSportsEDGE

Is he someone we should be targeting in dynasty leagues?

He had 1150 yards 3 years in a row with poor QB play and will be 26 next offseason. Is this the beginning of the end for him or will he turn it around?

Is he someone we should be targeting in dynasty leagues?

He had 1150 yards 3 years in a row with poor QB play and will be 26 next offseason. Is this the beginning of the end for him or will he turn it around?
Unfortuante that he signed a contract extension. Had to look it up to see if he would be eligble for free agency next year. Bummer

Thought Baker couldn't be worse than Darnold, but looks like I was wrong. However, if you can get him fairly cheap in dynasty, hard to believe Carolina will stay with Baker. Eventually they have to get even an average QB. Right? What a waste. Moore is so good. It would be fun to see him play in a real system like KC or Buffalo

Putting him on the bench, behind Sutton and Hollywood at WR, and behind Kamara/Jamaal Williams at Flex. Please let me know if you think that is dumb, because I'm now sure DJM goes off on my bench.

Putting him on the bench, behind Sutton and Hollywood at WR, and behind Kamara/Jamaal Williams at Flex. Please let me know if you think that is dumb, because I'm now sure DJM goes off on my bench.
Right there with you. It's funny, I have Russ as my QB, and I feel the exact same way about both of them. I believe in the talent and still think they can put it together by later in the season, but for now they're both going to my bench until they show me something. In my case I'm going with Diontae/Olave/GWilson over Moore (and Goff over Russ)

From what I’m told… Arizona has an absolutely terrible pass defense so there’s a chance dj Moore has a good game this week. Then you can sell high cause baker will still be the qb next week.

From what I’m told… Arizona has an absolutely terrible pass defense so there’s a chance dj Moore has a good game this week. Then you can sell high cause baker will still be the qb next week.
Take a look at what Davante Adams did week 2 and Cooper Kupp week 3 against the AZ defense. They might sell out to stop the #1 WR. Then the question is does Moore qualify as a #1 WR?

Take a look at what Davante Adams did week 2 and Cooper Kupp week 3 against the AZ defense. They might sell out to stop the #1 WR. Then the question is does Moore qualify as a #1 WR?
I think you know the answer to that question. There’s a difference between kupp/adams and Moore. Their qb actually likes them and tries to force the offense through those wide receivers. Teams saw it in the week 1 tape of both teams and challenged them to beat them without their best player.

Do they really need to take away Moore when baker barely knows he exists? Week 1 robbie Anderson was the favorite target….

If anything you game plan to take away cmc and force baker to beat you which he can’t.

I thought I hit the jackpot for my flex with this guy when he dropped to the 5th round in my biggest league. that’s been a mistake so far. I almost could have drafted ANYONE else picked after him and been better off.

I feel bad for him he’s a very good player stuck in a lousy organizaction, with a lousy HC and a less than average QB. He deserves better but I believe most of his career will be wasted with the panthers until they figure it out, if they ever figure it out

Has Baker just killed this guy's value to the point he is soon (if not already) droppable?
I have rosters decisions to make with Dak possibly coming back this week and need to move him from my IR...as well as Brian Robinson set to be activated and need to pull him from IR (yeah, we have 2 IR spots which has helped).

Has Baker just killed this guy's value to the point he is soon (if not already) droppable?
I have rosters decisions to make with Dak possibly coming back this week and need to move him from my IR...as well as Brian Robinson set to be activated and need to pull him from IR (yeah, we have 2 IR spots which has helped).
Rhule said Darnold won't be back this week, but could be back the following week. If Baker lays one more egg, that could be it for him.

Kind of sad that we Moore owners are clamoring for Darnold, but at least there was some semblance of a passing offense in the early part of last year before Sam got benched. Can't be any worse.

You can call me a masochist but despite already having him in one guillotine league I also picked him up in another for like $17/1k. I still think WR2 top 24 finish or WR3 top 36 finish is possible going forward. Especially if Darnold comes back. Nothing wrong with Moore specifically...

Definitely not the WR1 top 12 finish I thought when drafted but he can still be of use as a WR3/4.

Im probably dropping him this week. Hes worthless with Baker and Darnold is still out awhile. Sucks gonna drop 2 of my first 4 picks in one week (Javonte the other one).

I hope DJ takes PJ Walker to a nice dinner this week!
Walker has 2 starts the in the last 2 seasons.

Game 1: Moore had 148 yards, caveat of no CMC

Game 2: Moore had 24 yards, CMC had 10 catches.

I'm not expecting Walker to be good, he's been horrible to date, despite his 2-0 record. But it's probably a boost to the entire offense just to get Mayfield out of there. You could see a lot of guys just sort of expecting things not to work out even before the plays began. Whether you want to blame that on Mayfield or Rhule is debatable, but having neither next week may be something of a fresh start.

I'm not expecting Walker to be good, he's been horrible to date, despite his 2-0 record. But it's probably a boost to the entire offense just to get Mayfield out of there. You could see a lot of guys just sort of expecting things not to work out even before the plays began. Whether you want to blame that on Mayfield or Rhule is debatable, but having neither next week may be something of a fresh start.
The only real boost will come from running a modern offense that doesn’t involve force-feeding McCaffrey every single play. A modern NFL offense has to throw the ball downfield periodically. Moore is a good WR. He needs to see more than 4 targets per game.

The only real boost will come from running a modern offense that doesn’t involve force-feeding McCaffrey every single play. A modern NFL offense has to throw the ball downfield periodically. Moore is a good WR. He needs to see more than 4 targets per game.
I know you are probably exaggerating to make a point, but Moore has more targets than McCaffrey this year.

Target shares through 5 games:
CMC 23% 7 per game
Moore 24% 7.4 per game
Anderson 18% 5.4 per game

Touch share through 5 games:
CMC 51% 19.6 per game
Moore 11% 3,4 per game
Anderson 7% 2.6 per game

Moore's issues (and Anderson's too) are less about targets and more about completions. To be fair to him, Mayfield has missed him a ton when he's been open. But they are trying to use him. Its just only CMC has been working/effective so far. Those 3 are the only guys with more than 10 touches so far this season.

He was dropped in my 16 team keeper/Dynasty league this week. Probably dropping Lazard for him. I also have Chase, Sutton and Gabe Davis. Moore has had the worst start possible but he's young and still super talented. A change of scenery could be coming or at minimum a real QB next season. Still has decent Dynasty value IMO.

He was dropped in my 16 team keeper/Dynasty league this week. Probably dropping Lazard for him. I also have Chase, Sutton and Gabe Davis. Moore has had the worst start possible but he's young and still super talented. A change of scenery could be coming or at minimum a real QB next season. Still has decent Dynasty value IMO.
That was a very premature drop IMO - I'd grab Moore as soon as possible.

Users who are viewing this thread