What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Courtland Sutton, DEN (3 Viewers)

Wilson does not do well throwing the ball over the middle. Been that way for years.

But thanks for reminding us Doug Baldwin was fantasy relevant in 2017.
At this point you're just digging a deeper hole. Your statement was "regardless of system" and "always favored" the outside WR. Blatantly false on both counts.

Doug Baldwin the slot receiver was Russell Wilson's favorite target and the leading Seahawk WR for years.

Cool, fair point.

Could we now discuss what type of passes he has favored in the last 5 seasons? Would that seem to be more relevant than his first six years?

Since nobody bothers to read linked articles:

Wilson attempted just two passes per game of 10 yards or more over the middle of the field last year. By comparison, Tom Brady averaged seven such attempts a game, Aaron Rodgers averaged five, Patrick Mahomes is averaging four. In fact, among 34 eligible quarterbacks this season, Wilson ranked 29th in the league in the average number of attempts per game he targets beyond ten yards in the middle of the field.

I'm debating Sutton vs Mike Williams in a league right now, and I am wondering what kind of numbers Sutton can put up if Jeudy is not as good as everyone think he is.

One are that will favor Jeudy is Hackett will be running more RPO. Could def see JJ, Hamler and the RBs catching underneath balls. In the RZ, Hackett's offense will favor wide bodies like Sutton, Albert O and Dulcich.

In some ways it's hard to compare past stats to what we'll see this year. jeudy has never played with a good QB. Sutton disappeared after Week 6 last year, but a year removed from his ACL it's easy to envision him returning to his 2019 breakout form. Likewise, the #letrusscook mantra of the last few years speaks volumes about how conservative Seattle had become. Last year alone is not a good judge of what Wilson is still capable of given he was hampered with the finger/hand issues the last 2/3rds of the season.

Cool, fair point.

Could we now discuss what type of passes he has favored in the last 5 seasons? Would that seem to be more relevant than his first six years?
Lockett didn't work in the slot a great deal last year but was extremely effective when he did. Maybe Russ doesn't like the middle of the field but the target may be relevant too.

One are that will favor Jeudy is Hackett will be running more RPO. Could def see JJ, Hamler and the RBs catching underneath balls. In the RZ, Hackett's offense will favor wide bodies like Sutton, Albert O and Dulcich.

In some ways it's hard to compare past stats to what we'll see this year. jeudy has never played with a good QB. Sutton disappeared after Week 6 last year, but a year removed from his ACL it's easy to envision him returning to his 2019 breakout form. Likewise, the #letrusscook mantra of the last few years speaks volumes about how conservative Seattle had become. Last year alone is not a good judge of what Wilson is still capable of given he was hampered with the finger/hand issues the last 2/3rds of the season.
Agree with a lot of this. But IMO Hamler is a huge X factor and could steal substantial targets.

Lots of hype about Sutton being the guy when Russ will go to when plays break down. But Hamler had a 4.27 40 time. He won't be on the field as much as Sutton, but I could easily see multiple Wilson-to-Hamler "go deep" connections getting behind the defense ala Mahomes-to-Tyreek.

Agree with a lot of this. But IMO Hamler is a huge X factor and could steal substantial targets.

Lots of hype about Sutton being the guy when Russ will go to when plays break down. But Hamler had a 4.27 40 time. He won't be on the field as much as Sutton, but I could easily see multiple Wilson-to-Hamler "go deep" connections getting behind the defense ala Mahomes-to-Tyreek.

I like two WR3s named K.J. Hamler has open path to relevance with Patrick out for the year. The Vikings ran 11 personnel 49% last year; this year it’ll be more like 70-75% (league average.) Great news for Osborn.

You can get those guys as your WR6 or whatever for free - around the 15th-17th round - & end up with a viable bye week fillers. I could see Thielen fading. People forget Hamler was a second rounder. Definite possibilities.

I'm debating Sutton vs Mike Williams in a league right now, and I am wondering what kind of numbers Sutton can put up if Jeudy is not as good as everyone think he is.
I'm all over Sutton in that decision. Williams drives you nuts trying to guess which week he goes off, which week he disappears, and which week he pulls up lame. Josh Palmer is supposed to see an increased role in that offense, plus a very improved defense could certainly cap Williams' ceiling IMO. I have no idea how to project Sutton's numbers, but I think his ceiling as the potential [likely?] 1A in that offense far exceeds that of MW.

He can get the same separation as Tyler Lockett got on those deep verticals. He should be used in the same fashion as Tyler Lockett. That's who you are drafting when you take Courtland Sutton and that is his upside. Going to feast with Russell Wilson at QB. He has never had a quality QB, the best he has had is Case Keenum.

JJ is more of a possession guy. Courtland is going to be seeing the shots down deep.

He can get the same separation as Tyler Lockett got on those deep verticals. He should be used in the same fashion as Tyler Lockett. That's who you are drafting when you take Courtland Sutton and that is his upside. Going to feast with Russell Wilson at QB. He has never had a quality QB, the best he has had is Case Keenum.

JJ is more of a possession guy. Courtland is going to be seeing the shots down deep.
Gotta be honest, I don't see any form of Lockett comparison. What is the similarity of their game?

Sutton is a legit deep threat but this isn't a 7-step drop, deep passing offense. It's an offense based on slant, quick outs, reading zones and timing. I personally think (and honestly don't have much to back it up as we have seen so little so far) we will see Sutton become a high volume guy using his big body to shield defenders short and mid setting them up for well timed deep shots.

He probably won't get Davante Adams in Green Bay targets but 140-150 seems possible over 17 games (Davante was over 160, Lockett was around 124).

Gotta be honest, I don't see any form of Lockett comparison. What is the similarity of their game?

Sutton is a legit deep threat but this isn't a 7-step drop, deep passing offense. It's an offense based on slant, quick outs, reading zones and timing. I personally think (and honestly don't have much to back it up as we have seen so little so far) we will see Sutton become a high volume guy using his big body to shield defenders short and mid setting them up for well timed deep shots.

He probably won't get Davante Adams in Green Bay targets but 140-150 seems possible over 17 games (Davante was over 160, Lockett was around 124).

It's as like of a comparison I could come up with. Courtland beats single coverage in similar ways as Courtland who is deceptively fast for his height.

Don't love the prior ACL injury but would not be surprised if he scored 10 TDs. Russ gets into shootouts and those Chiefs Raiders games could be doozies.

Russ gets into shootouts
Predicting Denver shootouts, while also predicting a big drop off in Javonte's production from last year makes zero sense. (Last year he was RB14 and this year you think he should be much lower than that and a 4th round fantasy pick)

Russ gets into shootouts
Predicting Denver shootouts, while also predicting a big drop off in Javonte's production from last year makes zero sense. (Last year he was RB14 and this year you think he should be much lower than that and a 4th round fantasy pick)

How many TDs you have Wilson throwing for? I got him at 32. One of those WRs gonna catch 10 and I'm not banking on JJ to suddenly learn how to find paydirt.

Who leads the Broncos in TD receptions this year?

Russ gets into shootouts

How many TDs you have Wilson throwing for? I got him at 32. One of those WRs gonna catch 10 and I'm not banking on JJ to suddenly learn how to find paydirt.

Who leads the Broncos in TD receptions this year?
I was asking about Javonte, not Jeudy. Maybe you misread.
You're predicting high scoring Broncos games (higher than last year I'm assuming), but you're predicting a huge drop off in Javonte's fantasy points which doesn't add up.

It's as like of a comparison I could come up with. Courtland beats single coverage in similar ways as Courtland who is deceptively fast for his height.

Don't love the prior ACL injury but would not be surprised if he scored 10 TDs. Russ gets into shootouts and those Chiefs Raiders games could be doozies.
2 Years out from an ACL usually not too much to worry about.

That seems like the common narrative, and I can't disagree with it.

It is a common narrative, and I disagree with it.

I'm much more interested in Jeudy and Albert O than Sutton, who has consistently underachieved since being in the league. I don't see Russell Wilson changing that.

Sutton had already broken out in the league and was on his way to a monster season when he tore his ACL. Then last year, the quarterbacking...

Jeudy has come nowhere close to breaking out and Albert O. is running with the scrubs in the fourth quarter.

I know who I'd bet on this year.

Jeudy has come nowhere close to breaking out
Jeudy had a better rookie year and then got hurt in game 1 of his sophomore year, where he was 6/7 for 72 yards in the first half and owning the Giants.

Vegas has Jeudy and Sutton pretty even, with Jeudy slightly above on prop bets for yards and TDs.

I’ve personally got Sutton slightly ahead but I don’t think it’s as clear as people want it to be.

People like to point to Jeudy not scoring red zone TDs, but Sutton hasn’t really been the ultimate td scorer over the years either.

I was also watching Jeudy’s 2020 highlights last night. And this narrative I keep seeing commented that he won’t get any deep balls and is just a slot guy seems silly to me.

Cecil Lammey went an extended Broncos rant in this podcast. Made me feel good about drafting Sutton.

Cecil Lammey went an extended Broncos rant in this podcast. Made me feel good about drafting Sutton.
Any chance you can show mercy and share cliffs notes or a rough time stamp so I don't have to listen to more than 30 seconds of Cecil Lammey? Good lord that dude makes my ears hurt. :lmao:

EDIT: Suffered through it to find the time stamp: https://youtu.be/DBTVWKketNE?t=3442

Last edited:
Any chance you can show mercy and share cliffs notes or a rough time stamp so I don't have to listen to more than 30 seconds of Cecil Lammey?

Good lord that dude makes my ears hurt. Maybe the worst podcast voice/personality in the hobby. :lmao:
Sutton good

There ya go.

Any chance you can show mercy and share cliffs notes or a rough time stamp so I don't have to listen to more than 30 seconds of Cecil Lammey? Good lord that dude makes my ears hurt. :lmao:

EDIT: Suffered through it to find the time stamp: https://youtu.be/DBTVWKketNE?t=3442
They do list the time stamp in the post above:
51:38 Broncos v Seahawks

They do list the time stamp in the post above:
51:38 Broncos v Seahawks
Good clip. Makes me glad to have Wilson / Sutton. I think Wilson will be slightly better than Cecil seems to think week 1. Feel like he might have a RuTD along with a couple of passing TDs.

Lammy has such a high opinion of himself it's hilarious. God I hope Seattle wins Monday just for his whine party

Courtland Sutton caught 4-of-7 targets for 72 yards in the Broncos' Week 1 loss to the Seahawks.​

Sutton also drew a long DPI call on rookie CB Tariq Woolen. Both Sutton and Jerry Jeudy each saw seven targets, but Javonte Williams actually paced the team with his 12 looks as Russell Wilson's safety valve. Sutton didn't see his first target until deep into the second quarter. Wilson should have more time to look downfield for his wideouts next week at home against the Texans where Sutton will be a WR1/2.
Sep 12, 2022, 11:52 PM ET

Sutton is one of the league leaders in missing out on touchdowns by an inch or less. Feels like he's finally a set-and-forget guy.

Do the Broncos pay Cecil to be a homer hack? Had Wilson as a QB1 this week. I see he doesn’t post rankings at footballguys. Guess the best career move is to feed the homers red meat.

Do the Broncos pay Cecil to be a homer hack? Had Wilson as a QB1 this week. I see he doesn’t post rankings at footballguys. Guess the best career move is to feed the homers red meat.
I can tell you a personal story about Cecil but it'll have to be off the board..... :rolleyes:

I can tell you a personal story about Cecil but it'll have to be off the board..... :rolleyes:
Just tell the story but call him “Harry”. We’ll know what you mean.

Last edited:
Week 1: 61 snaps, 43 routes, 7 targets
Week 2: 59 snaps, 32 routes, 12 targets

Week 2: Jeudy played only 9 snaps, Kendall Hinton 48, KJ Hamler out. Tyrie Cleveland (27) and Montrell Washington (12) were a thing.

Courtland Sutton caught 8-of-10 targets for 97 yards in Denver's Week 3 win over the 49ers.​

His biggest catch was a 19-yard backshoulder ball over Charvarius Ward to get Denver into the red zone. While many of Denver's secondary receivers looked out of sync with Wilson, Sutton and Russ appear to have good chemistry already. Sutton now has 28 targets in three games and has outscored Jerry Jeudy in each of the last two weeks. Sutton figures to be a high-end WR2 for Week 4 against the Raiders, and is held back from WR1 only on account of the fact that the Broncos offense looks putrid around him.
Sep 25, 2022, 11:56 PM ET

Courtland Sutton caught 5-of-11 targets for 74 yards in the Broncos' Week 5 loss to the Colts.​

Sutton's longest play came on a 51-yard reception early in the third quarter on a play that almost didn't end well. With the ball in the air, Sutton converged on wide receiver Montrell Washington, two defensive backs and a referee to haul in a contested catch that ended with him and Washington contending for the ball as they headed to the ground. Sutton was missed on several throws by Russell Wilson throughout the afternoon, failing to catch both end zone targets on the evening. His final target came on fourth and one in overtime. Looking to extend the game or perhaps win it, Wilson gunned a pass to Sutton that was immediately broken up by former two-time All-Pro cornerback Stephon Gilmore. The good news for Sutton and fantasy owners is that he remains the No. 1 option in the passing game and saw some decent end zone work. The bad news is the Broncos have now struggled on offense for five-straight weeks. Sutton should be tweeted as a solid WR2 next week against the Chargers.
Oct 7, 2022, 1:22 AM ET

Courtland Sutton caught 2-of-3 targets for 14 yards in the Broncos' Week 6 loss to the Chargers.​

It was easily Sutton's worst game of the season on a night Russell Wilson played some terrible football after the first quarter. Wilson completed his first 10 passes of the night but went 5-of-18 the rest of the way and finished with 188 yards and one score to rookie TE Greg Dulcich. Sutton was locked up by CBs Michael Davis, J.C. Jackson, and Asante Samuel all evening. He'll try to rebound as a WR2 next week against the Jets.
Oct 18, 2022, 12:35 AM ET

Dude is toast indefinitely until the offense shows signs of life. Murray's the starting RB now? Yikes.
Yeah I was having to make a tough call between playing him or Devonta Smith all season. Once Smith’s bye is over, that’s an easy call rest of season.

What are dynasty owners currently doing? I have no shares but tried to get him before the season (regrettably let an offer of his Sutton for my D. Hopkins sit too long over the summer then couldn't get it back.) Rusty looks shot and Sutton is tied to him long term now. Is this a buy low window or would most owners likely hold knowing what his ceiling is?

I saw him talking to Wilson while trotting onto the field for another series. I wonder what he was saying? Hey man, I should be your favorite target, not Jeudy. Wilson says, I just want to complete a pass to anyone.

I just see too many quality targets here sharing too little offense overall.
Agree with this. What was expected to be a rising-tide-lifts-all-boats offense has obviously been the exact opposite. And adding in Dulcich, who is already everything they expected from Albert O, is only going to dilute the pie even further.

What are dynasty owners currently doing? I have no shares but tried to get him before the season (regrettably let an offer of his Sutton for my D. Hopkins sit too long over the summer then couldn't get it back.) Rusty looks shot and Sutton is tied to him long term now. Is this a buy low window or would most owners likely hold knowing what his ceiling is?
Feels like I’ve waited forever for Sutton to come around and it’s always something.

Feels like I’ve waited forever for Sutton to come around and it’s always something.
DJ Moore owners say hold our case of beers.

Made him a priority (7th round) developmental WR in my 2018 startup. At this point I'll consider Dustin Hopkins and a bag of Doritos.

There was definitely a missed opportunity to sell in between Sutton becoming the presumed favorite and everyone assuming Russ was still a reasonable version of himself. All you can do is continue to be patient at this point. New team, pressing under a giant contract, I think there's still a chance Russ figures it out before the season is over. If not they're either going to move heaven and earth to make it work, or they'll draft his eventual replacement. It appears they're tied to him through 2024. Then they can take a giant dead cap hit in 2025 and save a few bucks.

The truth is the floor has actually been pretty good with Sutton until this clunker, especially when you consider the offense as a whole. There were three legitimately good starts in there. If he gets back to respectability in week 7, maybe you pursue a McLaurin or DJ Moore trade, if you're out on Russ and think they're more likely to be rescued by a QB in the '23 class.

DJ Moore owners say hold our case of beers.
I drafted both rd 3/4 le sigh

Users who are viewing this thread