What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Courtland Sutton, DEN (1 Viewer)

I don't know how high up in the depth chart Sutton is for any dynasty owner at this point. The Russell Wilson hype and reports of him having a better rapport with Sutton than Jeudy will probably go down as my last chance to get anything resembling value, but at least I didn't have to watch him blow up on somebody else's roster. He's my WR6, and for a WR6 / WR5, I still like the ceiling compared to most other receivers at that range.

I'll hold just to see if anything happens in Payton's offense. If he gets a change of scenery, even better. Dropping him outright? That's another two years down the road if it's more of what we've seen. If you're playing in a 10-team dynasty with 15-man rosters, go for it I guess.

I don't know how high up in the depth chart Sutton is for any dynasty owner at this point. The Russell Wilson hype and reports of him having a better rapport with Sutton than Jeudy will probably go down as my last chance to get anything resembling value, but at least I didn't have to watch him blow up on somebody else's roster. He's my WR6, and for a WR6 / WR5, I still like the ceiling compared to most other receivers at that range.

I'll hold just to see if anything happens in Payton's offense. If he gets a change of scenery, even better. Dropping him outright? That's another two years down the road if it's more of what we've seen. If you're playing in a 10-team dynasty with 15-man rosters, go for it I guess.
What reports? I read the complete opposite that said Wilson had a better rapport with Jeudy.

What reports? I read the complete opposite that said Wilson had a better rapport with Jeudy.

For me, Cecil Lammey "insiding" had the most credibility. Immediately after the Wilson trade, it was Jeudy. However, there was enough buzz about Wilson-Sutton rapport that Courtland overtook Jeudy in consensus dynasty rankings and re-draft by August/September.

I think there was one game early in the season that somewhat validated the Sutton steam. That would have been the time to leave Dodge.

Last edited:

As someone who lives in Denver and listens to sports talk here, it was all about Wilson/Sutton connection. The talk about Jeudy was how he could make an amazing catch and the have multiple head scratching drops along with his demeanor after not playing as a starting wideout. Most questioning where his head was at.

Not this means anything to his value, just passing this along, this was from an article in The Athletic last week detailing Ravens pursuit of OBJ:

Desperate for a quality veteran receiver, the Ravens explored trade and free-agent possibilities. At one point, there appeared to be a deal to be made for Courtland Sutton, but the Denver Broncos decided they didn’t want to trade him.

As someone who lives in Denver and listens to sports talk here, it was all about Wilson/Sutton connection. The talk about Jeudy was how he could make an amazing catch and the have multiple head scratching drops along with his demeanor after not playing as a starting wideout. Most questioning where his head was at.
Bingo. All of that is well documented in the Jeudy thread from last summer.

How did that work out for Sutton?

How does how it worked out change the narrative at the time for Sutton?

The only narrative that makes sense for Sutton is that he’s not a good fantasy asset and people still want to believe otherwise.

The only narrative that makes sense for Sutton is that he’s not a good fantasy asset and people still want to believe otherwise.
No one has pushed that narrative. You're the one who bumped this thread with some moron from the internet posting his opinion. I simply posted what was actually being reported during camp. There literally were no reports stating what you said here in Denver. Every report on Jeudy was negative about his attitude. The only narrative being pushed is by you who has some complete disdain for Sutton because of your man-love for Jeudy. I've been around these boards long enough to know how stubborn you can be when it comes to your opinion on players. You like to reiterate things like a broken record. I know you were very vocal about the Jeudy/Sutton debate prior to the season starting. That debate really isn't over. Jeudy has slightly better numbers for the season, but it wasn't enough of a difference to actually settle the debate as the numbers were very similar. Both guys were very underwhelming. Sutton still has put together the best season between the 2 in their careers. I don't think Sutton is the same since his injury. Jeudy has never lived up to his draft position. I don't have either on my rosters, and I don't believe either are worth acquiring.

FTR, at what I'm seeing around here at their current value, if I were looking to acquire the likes of Sutton or Jeudy it's pretty easy to see that Sutton would be the shark move at his current value. Payton has shown what he can do with the big body type of receivers that Sutton resembles. In no way shape or form am I spending a 1st rd rookie on Jeudy. He's no more than a WR3/4. At least there is more upside with Sutton and could be had for a 4th I'd guess.

Ornery on the come-down?

Well, Em, this is personal. No, I'm fine. Listening to Icona Pop's "I Don't Care" while you spread your malfeasance all over these boards.
What is "Em" supposed to mean? Is that east coast for "Um"? Honest question.

As for Sutton, time will tell, do what you want there, I don't care.

And as for horse acumen, you have no idea. Refute anything I say in there, go for it.

Sorry about the come down, btw, hope it wasn't too rough.

No one has pushed that narrative.
Not true. There are plenty of Sutton truthers on this board and they express it. My thoughts on him are that at some point people need accept that he is what he is, a middle of the road WR that won't help your fantasy team. The jury is still out on Jeudy.

Not true. There are plenty of Sutton truthers on this board and they express it. My thoughts on him are that at some point people need accept that he is what he is, a middle of the road WR that won't help your fantasy team. The jury is still out on Jeudy.
You just proved my point Johnny. No one has pushed that since before the season was over. You have your opinion. Jeudy has proved he's nothing more than a bye week fill in. Sorry you can't let go you drafted a dud.

You just proved my point Johnny. No one has pushed that since before the season was over. You have your opinion. Jeudy has proved he's nothing more than a bye week fill in. Sorry you can't let go you drafted a dud.

Sprout, you're simply wrong here. FWI I own Sutton in dynasty but not Jeudy.

This past season Jeudy finished the entire season as the WR21 in total points in 0.5 PPR despite playing in a mess of an offense. My league is a 12-team that you must start 3 WRs each week plus a flex (RB, WR, or TE).

From weeks 14 through 18 last year, Jerry Jeudy was the WR2 in 0.5 PPR. A strong end to the prior season doesn't necessarily correlate to a strong season the following year but it is at least promising.

Sutton, on the other hand, has done nothing to show that he is more then a WR3 in fantasy football.

This past season Jeudy finished the entire season as the WR21 in total points in 0.5 PPR despite playing in a mess of an offense. My league is a 12-team that you must start 3 WRs each week plus a flex (RB, WR, or TE).

From weeks 14 through 18 last year, Jerry Jeudy was the WR2 in 0.5 PPR. A strong end to the prior season doesn't necessarily correlate to a strong season the following year but it is at least promising.

Sutton, on the other hand, has done nothing to show that he is more then a WR3 in fantasy football.
Voice of reason

Despite playing in a mess of an offense or somewhat aided by it? With an injured Javonte Williams, Tim Patrick, Hamler, and the fraudulent, oft-injured Courtland Sutton, 2022 should have represented pretty fertile ground for volume WR production for someone of Jeudy's talent regardless of how much we want to lay at the feet of Russ.

He clearly has value. Can be plugged into starting lineups as is and offers upside for the future. That said it wasn't a successful 2022 campaign for any Jeudy holder looking to realize the promise of what he offered when he entered the league. Was his 2022 far less of a disaster than it was for Sutton? Absolutely. But if that's the standard, you're setting a pretty low bar for a guy that I still think has some hope of realizing some of the draft hype.

Give him credit for finishing the year strong. My league has pretty vanilla scoring for 0.5 PPR and he finished 26th (points) & 28th (avg points) among receivers. We don't play week 18s, so I will assume that monster game was the discrepancy for your WR21. That said, buyer beware for anyone counting on a big 2023 based solely on week 14-18 performance.

Weeks 14 & 15 -- Sutton out, 76 & 73 yards receiving, but 3 TDs is 3TDs (week 14)
Week 16 - 117 yds-6 rec ....in a 14-51 loss to Rams
Week 17 - 38-7 in their "Super Bowl" loss in KC
Week 18 - torches a Chargers team locked into their playoff seed for 154-5, but they did play a lot of their starters into the 2nd half

Beats the hell out of doing nothing those weeks and cratering in dynasty like Sutton, But if Sutton is as worthless as some are suggesting, I would be cautious about propping up a Jerry Jeudy that didn't overtake Sutton until week 14 in fantasy points and week 16 in receiving yards. Back end of the '22 Broncos season did not offer a great barometer for competitive football.

You are absolutely right about start 2 WR + 1 FLEX -vs- start 3 WR + 1 FLEX having a big difference on the value of a WR like Jeudy, or even the salvage value of someone like Sutton. Start 2 WR, you're okay with plugging in Jeudy as your flex, but that team probably isn't sniffing a championship unless they have a lot going for themselves up top. Start 3 WR, and you're now delighted to have a Jeudy level talent for your flex. I think this distinction in league setting is also very relevant to the top of this 2023 receiving class.

Despite playing in a mess of an offense or somewhat aided by it? With an injured Javonte Williams, Tim Patrick, Hamler, and the fraudulent, oft-injured Courtland Sutton, 2022 should have represented pretty fertile ground for volume WR production for someone of Jeudy's talent regardless of how much we want to lay at the feet of Russ.

He clearly has value. Can be plugged into starting lineups as is and offers upside for the future. That said it wasn't a successful 2022 campaign for any Jeudy holder looking to realize the promise of what he offered when he entered the league. Was his 2022 far less of a disaster than it was for Sutton? Absolutely. But if that's the standard, you're setting a pretty low bar for a guy that I still think has some hope of realizing some of the draft hype.

Give him credit for finishing the year strong. My league has pretty vanilla scoring for 0.5 PPR and he finished 26th (points) & 28th (avg points) among receivers. We don't play week 18s, so I will assume that monster game was the discrepancy for your WR21. That said, buyer beware for anyone counting on a big 2023 based solely on week 14-18 performance.

Weeks 14 & 15 -- Sutton out, 76 & 73 yards receiving, but 3 TDs is 3TDs (week 14)
Week 16 - 117 yds-6 rec ....in a 14-51 loss to Rams
Week 17 - 38-7 in their "Super Bowl" loss in KC
Week 18 - torches a Chargers team locked into their playoff seed for 154-5, but they did play a lot of their starters into the 2nd half

Beats the hell out of doing nothing those weeks and cratering in dynasty like Sutton, But if Sutton is as worthless as some are suggesting, I would be cautious about propping up a Jerry Jeudy that didn't overtake Sutton until week 14 in fantasy points and week 16 in receiving yards. Back end of the '22 Broncos season did not offer a great barometer for competitive football.

You are absolutely right about start 2 WR + 1 FLEX -vs- start 3 WR + 1 FLEX having a big difference on the value of a WR like Jeudy, or even the salvage value of someone like Sutton. Start 2 WR, you're okay with plugging in Jeudy as your flex, but that team probably isn't sniffing a championship unless they have a lot going for themselves up top. Start 3 WR, and you're now delighted to have a Jeudy level talent for your flex. I think this distinction in league setting is also very relevant to the top of this 2023 receiving class.
Maybe Jeudy and Sutton both suck, but I'm willing to hang on to Jeudy.....for now.

“Sutton finished the season as the PPR WR43. Some of that can be attributed to the putrid QB play from Wilson. However, the Broncos’ offense started to gel in Week 13 and was vastly improved down the stretch. Jerry Jeudy rounded out the last six games as the PPR WR6, while Sutton was WR73. While Sutton missed two full games in that span, he averaged eight fantasy points per game to Jeudy’s 18.5.
Sutton is currently ranked as the WR46, putting him in a tier with players such as Keenan Allen , Tyler Lockett and Rashod Bateman, among others. If you can move him for any of these veteran pass-catchers, that’s a huge win.”

FWIW, Cecil seemed to be on the Marvin Mims will be the end of Sutton as a Bronco train post-draft. On a more recent podcast he seemed surprised to report that Sutton was the most explosive WR in camp.

The Broncos had Courtland Sutton study Michael Thomas’ 2019 film this offseason.

2019, of course, was Thomas’ 149-catch campaign. "(I’m) just diving into it (to) be able to see how he may have run a route that we are learning right now,” Sutton said. “Figuring out ways to get open.” The least discussed member of the Broncos’ top four wideouts this offseason even though he is probably still the No. 2, Sutton has drawn zero hype, though several have noted his size similarity to Thomas. That is about where the obvious similarities stop, but it’s obviously interesting new coach Sean Payton has the comp on his brain. We aren’t going to sit here and tell you we are bullish on Sutton as he fights for targets with Jerry Jeudy, second-rounder Marvin Mims and Tim Patrick, but his WR48 ADP is a bargain opportunity.

Mentally, I'm kind of over him. His lone 1,000 yard season was all the way back in 2019.

I suppose it's possible with Payton coming to re-invent the offense, he could finally put it together. And he's fairly cheap--FBG has him at WR44.

That being said, I'm just not super confident in him. I think Mims was drafted to replace him. Jeudy is the Alpha, and I'm expecting the big breakout from him this year.

I will never understand the Jerry's Judy hype train. That dude is a duck walker who is afraid to catch balls over the middle. Sutton has always been the better NFL WR, save for a long string of bad luck with injuries. If Sutton is and remains healthy, his only obstacle to being the alpha WR on this team is how cooked or not chef Dangeruss actually is. Sean Payton will reveal all soon enough.

If Sutton is and remains healthy

Neither Jeudy nor Sutton are very good. Jeudy is a never-was for the reasons you state (his ankle joints are a problem regardless of what anyone says or whoever makes fun of that claim) and Sutton is a has-been. I like Sutton and want to see him do well -- he's an affable fellow -- but he's a step too slow right now to be a serious deep threat like he once was. He can't beat the corners down the field. Now, if he plays the Michael Thomas-to-Drew Brees role, he can be successful. If he toughens up and wants to hand catch and attack passes over the middle and on slants then he might be successful, but he sure wasn't good at it last year. I remember watching him have a case of the drops when Russ was actually on target for once.

I'm not sanguine about this guy's chances and wont draft him anywhere near his ADP as it stands now. I suspect most people won't and that the ADP will get an adjustment downward.

The weight loss is news to me. Cecil has been saying that he's as explosive as ever.

With that said, if there was ever a guy that should have his August camp hype tuned out, this would be the one. 400 yards, 3TDs in the first four games and you will have my attention, Land of Court.

I will never understand the Jerry's Judy hype train. That dude is a duck walker who is afraid to catch balls over the middle. Sutton has always been the better NFL WR, save for a long string of bad luck with injuries. If Sutton is and remains healthy, his only obstacle to being the alpha WR on this team is how cooked or not chef Dangeruss actually is. Sean Payton will reveal all soon enough.
If Payton has Sutton playing the MT role, could be wheels up. I would think with the Payton offense history, one of Jeudy or Sutton will be a high WR2/low WR1, why not Sutton.

I'm finding it difficult to draft Jeudy or Sutton. I always like other WRs in their respective ADP ranges better. I'm not totally out on the Broncos offense but usually only take Dulcich or Perine at ADP.

If Payton has Sutton playing the MT role, could be wheels up. I would think with the Payton offense history, one of Jeudy or Sutton will be a high WR2/low WR1, why not Sutton.
....because we know what Sutton is.

....because we know what Sutton is.
Yep. A 1200 yd receiver.

To the reader, pretend I'm the narrator:

JohnnyU and SproutDaddy are way too invested in their opinions about Sutton. Split the difference and you'll find it more accurate.
Not really. I just like to play devils advocate. There is some serious hype here in Denver so far this preseason.

Not really. I just like to play devils advocate. There is some serious hype here in Denver so far this preseason.

Fair enough.
I was high on Sutton last season and he disappointed. He still had over 800 yds. I didn’t have him on any teams. I don’t think he’s trash, but he isn’t a #1. Denver doesn’t seem to have one on the team. Reports are he looks better than he has since before the injury.

Fair enough.
I was high on Sutton last season and he disappointed. He still had over 800 yds. I didn’t have him on any teams. I don’t think he’s trash, but he isn’t a #1. Denver doesn’t seem to have one on the team. Reports are he looks better than he has since before the injury.
Coaching and scheme are under rated in FF. Payton is one of the best offensive minds in football, Russ should cook and there should be 2-4 other quality FF starters on offense.

Fair enough.
Coaching and scheme are under rated in FF. Payton is one of the best offensive minds in football, Russ should cook and there should be 2-4 other quality FF starters on offense.
Agree with the first sentence and the first half of the 2nd. But I think its prudent to replace "should" with "could"

Users who are viewing this thread