What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Chris Olave, NO (1 Viewer)

Still in protocol but was practising today which is a great sign. Didn’t cost me at weekend thankfully but he was on the way to a monster game against Atlanta. Could have been his defining moment tbh in levelling up fantasy wise

As a Lions fan I’m conflicted but I really really need him fit this weekend

Wow. Hadn't read that yet. I put it at 100% out this week. Past history says he for sure misses one game. Limited practice, so soon, gives me actual hope he might play. He was just about to have a 200 yard game.

Said he was limited to individual drills, which included reps with Carr. This is his third traumatic brain injury, had one a year ago and in college three years ago.

Said he was limited to individual drills, which included reps with Carr. This is his third traumatic brain injury, had one a year ago and in college three years ago.
I think only one player cleared in a standard week all year. I could be wrong but with the above comment I doubt we see him. It is promising he’s out there on Wednesday. Tomorrow is important.

I’d be curious to know how many players clear in a playoff race later in the season versus not in years past.

Purdy cleared same week, correct?
Technically KJ Osbourne cleared as well…. But the Vikings chose to sit him out,

A San Fran lineman also cleared.

It’s not out of the realm of possibility to clear in a week.

But…. As @BobbyLayne pointed out above… he does have a history of brain injuries dating back to college and last year so I would think that’s another mark against his possibility of playing.

Opinion article but it lists out all concussions for the year and over 30 players have played the following week. That number surprised me. This isn't intended as a Olave will play narrative at all. All concussions are different. All players history is different. Just didn't think that many cleared protocol and played the following week

Opinion article but it lists out all concussions for the year and over 30 players have played the following week. That number surprised me. This isn't intended as a Olave will play narrative at all. All concussions are different. All players history is different. Just didn't think that many cleared protocol and played the following week

Good info.

From that article, of the 11 players who started out the week after a concussion as a LP on Wednesday, only one went from LP on Wednesday to another LP on Thursday, and then played the next game.

Olave was LP on Wednesday, LP on Thursday.

From that article, of the 11 players who started out the week after a concussion as a LP on Wednesday, only one went from LP on Wednesday to another LP on Thursday, and then played the next game.

Olave was LP on Wednesday, LP on Thursday.
Good stuff. I knew someone smarter then me would gather more data on that. At the time of the game I knew I'd miss him for at least one game.

Read somewhere else that he had one more step to clear the protocol; the evaluation by the independent neurologist.

Read somewhere else that he had one more step to clear the protocol; the evaluation by the independent neurologist.
It's the final check off. Getting this full participation practice seems like the harder check off of the 5 steps. Why would the team put him in full practice if they didnt think he could clear it? They would look incompetent.

Why would the team put him in full practice if they didnt think he could clear it?

Because Shaheed and Thomas are also hurt and they're down to the practice squad guys. That'll motivate teams to cut corners with health issues that can appear nebulous to the untrained eye.
I respect you. I think your one of the better posters on this site, but i strongly disagree with this. The NFL lost a billion dollar concussion lawsuit. No way they would cut corners because they have a need at wr. Imo

Why would the team put him in full practice if they didnt think he could clear it?

Because Shaheed and Thomas are also hurt and they're down to the practice squad guys. That'll motivate teams to cut corners with health issues that can appear nebulous to the untrained eye.
Under todays NFL rules a team doing that can lose a draft pick.
That's why The NFL uses third party medical people to clear players with concussions.

No way they would cut corners because they have a need at wr. Imo

Fair enough. I was not aware they might lose a draft pick if they try and get somebody through an independent neurologist. Does that mean every time a guy goes full practice and they fail that a draft pick is up in the air?

It's an ever-evolving process and I'm afraid I haven't totally kept up with it.

If they've removed reasons for cynicism about the NFL and concussions, please enlighten me. I'd love it if that were the case.

No way they would cut corners because they have a need at wr. Imo

Fair enough. I was not aware they might lose a draft pick if they try and get somebody through an independent neurologist. Does that mean every time a guy goes full practice and they fail that a draft pick is up in the air?

It's an ever-evolving process and I'm afraid I haven't totally kept up with it.

If they've removed reasons for cynicism about the NFL and concussions, please enlighten me. I'd love it if that were the case.
Players can be in the concussion protocal and still practice.
It happens every week. The third party still makes the final determination.
There was a very good article posted in this thread about the number of players who were in the protocol and played the next week.

AT Perry week? Taysom Hill?
If Olave and Shaheed are both out:
  • Kamara will catch a gajillion passes
  • Saints will dial up more plays for Taysom
  • Juwan could see around 7 targets (and should be the big end zone beneficiary)
  • Presents a perfect opportunity to see if AT can be a workhorse (but I'm not confident they'll go that way)
  • Jimmy Graham might have to wear a helmet this week

Gonna take this into Sunday.....I need a win to get the 6th and final seed for my Dynasty league playoffs.

If he is out we will know by 12:30 at ghe latest.

Gonna take this into Sunday.....I need a win to get the 6th and final seed for my Dynasty league playoffs.

If he is out we will know by 12:30 at ghe latest.
Basically what I'm doing. After that 1st half last week it would be hard to sit if he is active. He was killing it until the injury.

AT Perry week? Taysom Hill?
If Olave and Shaheed are both out:
  • Kamara will catch a gajillion passes
  • Saints will dial up more plays for Taysom
  • Juwan could see around 7 targets (and should be the big end zone beneficiary)
  • Presents a perfect opportunity to see if AT can be a workhorse (but I'm not confident they'll go that way)
  • Jimmy Graham might have to wear a helmet this week
I will be forced to start the Taytay JJ combo

I know it's not Olave but it's concussion related and some serious stuff. Some may know, s ome may not. Troy Aikman after NFC championshio game hit. A conversation well after the game while Troy was in hospital.

Leigh Steinberg, his agent went to visit Troy in hospital.

Troy: “Leigh, where am I?”
Leigh: “Well, you’re in the hospital.”
Troy: “Well, why am I here?”
Leigh “You suffered a concussion today”
Troy: “Well, who did we play?”
Leigh: “The 49ers.”
Troy: “Did we win?”
Leigh “Yes, you won."
Troy: “Did I play well?”
Leigh “Yes, you played well.”
Tory “Did— what does that— and so what’s that mean?”
Leigh “It means you’re going to the Super Bowl.”

Five minutes later, they’re sitting there, they’re continuing to hang out, and Aikman suddenly turns to Steinberg and says, “What am I doing here?” And the next thing you know, they are reliving this conversation they’d had five minutes earlier.

Brutal

I’ve had five documented concuss and I suspect another one or two that I never went to see a doctor for and now have constant ringing in my ears, some cognitive loss, attention deficit among other issues. All of which I believe are associated with these concussions as I never had any issues before they started piling up.

They are nothing to be taken lightly for sure

(Rotowire) Olave (concussion) is listed as questionable for Sunday's contest against the Lions, Matthew Paras of The New Orleans Times-Picayune reports. Analysis: Considering he suffered a concussion this past Sunday in Atlanta, Olave understandably had practice restrictions Wednesday and Thursday, but a full showing Friday seemingly has him on course to be available this weekend. Still, his questionable designation indicates he has yet to get through the protocol for head injuries, which coach Dennis Allen confirmed when he told Paras on Friday that "there's a chance that he could clear it." The only obstacle now is an evaluation with an independent neurologist, with a 1:00 p.m. ET kickoff on tap Sunday.

Users who are viewing this thread