What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Chris Olave, NO (1 Viewer)

Not a lot chatter. Seems like a buy low guy?
Currently only AJB has more air yards despite some pretty tame game environments. I think it's coming for him, but my main concerns are a nagging injury and Taysom Hill is somehow STILL impacting Saints offensive projections.

Tyson Campbell is out for the Jags this week....Olave should feast if Saints can put together a coherent game plan
Olave has 53 targets and Thomas has 47. Saints are struggling on offense. Maybe this is a big part of the reason. Olave should have a 2/1 target ratio over Thomas at this point. Teams should feed their most talented guy and Olave is definitely that guy.

Some chatter that Olave is sandbagging on routes when he thinks he's not going to get the ball, and that this is one of the many things that's affecting the overall performance of the offense. This is a link to a fan forum thread, but it summarizes the speculative issue with some backup.

Thread started by a guy named Get in the Carr?
I know, I know. Yeah, you can change usernames over there. Few people do it, but every time we sign a high-profile player, a few people make up a new forum name to commemorate the new player.

But the discussion in the overall thread is more important than that OP.

Pondering using Ceedee to land Olave and stuff. I'm usually the guy that snap accepts or snap rejects. I can't get clear picture value on Olave. He checks all the boxes for talent. Carr is kinda good. Tjta offense has been kinda bad.

One of the few call maybe I got sort of right..though I was taking Devonta Smith over Olave as much as I was taking ETN

One of the few call maybe I got sort of right..though I was taking Devonta Smith over Olave as much as I was taking ETN
What was your call?
That Olave was being overdrafted. Not that he’s bad or anything but he was creeping into late 2nd/early 3rd territory and I thought he was more of a late 3rd/early 4th player. Small difference I know but a meaningful one in drafts.

What was your call?
That Olave was being overdrafted. Not that he’s bad or anything but he was creeping into late 2nd/early 3rd territory and I thought he was more of a late 3rd/early 4th player. Small difference I know but a meaningful one in drafts.
Actually late July/ early August he was going late 2nd

Some chatter that Olave is sandbagging on routes when he thinks he's not going to get the ball, and that this is one of the many things that's affecting the overall performance of the offense. This is a link to a fan forum thread, but it summarizes the speculative issue with some backup.
Thought about this post when Olave stopped on that one route up the right sideline tonight (where Carr rightly yells “WHAT ARE YOU DOING?”)

I will say that his body language throughout the game was odd. We don't know whats inside his head and can only speculate what it looks like. His facial expressions just seemed kinda odd throughout the night. Like he was on a blind date and had zero interest in a second date. I will say we don't get fantasy points for expressions. Dude had 15 targets. With his talent If he keeps getting targets he is gonna put up numbers and big days are ahead. Having said all that, as someone who just acquired him I didn't feel great from what I saw.

I don't know if any WR in the league would have caught that pass.
Exactly right, watching the play you see it go out around midfield. Doesn't even hit the boundary line, which of course is pretty wide. Note that the DB is playing off-coverage with eyes in the backfield reading Carr the whole way. Okay, Olave breaks off the route but the DB isn't paying him any attention, way overthrown. To me, the WR breaking off is what we should see here, perhaps so but I don't view a play like this as something attitude or effort-related. The one route this DB is playing is the very route Olave is running. I believe Olave gives up on it because he's just running into coverage, why is the QB even going there? Makes no sense.

A 3rd & 5 play, again, the DB a good 8 yards off the ball. Where's the check-with-me on the pre-snap? Where's the post snap adjustment? I'm sorry but this is an easy read. The DB is accounting for a vertical route, is reading the QB, not the WR & deploying inside technique. He can close on any in-breaking route. The boundary is his help for anything thrown outside. He's giving Olave/Carr the 5, 6yd out route they need to convert. It's one play, but to me, it doesn't fit the narrative.

Exactly right, watching the play you see it go out around midfield. Doesn't even hit the boundary line, which of course is pretty wide. Note that the DB is playing off-coverage with eyes in the backfield reading Carr the whole way. Okay, Olave breaks off the route but the DB isn't paying him any attention, way overthrown. To me, the WR breaking off is what we should see here, perhaps so but I don't view a play like this as something attitude or effort-related. The one route this DB is playing is the very route Olave is running. I believe Olave gives up on it because he's just running into coverage, why is the QB even going there? Makes no sense.

A 3rd & 5 play, again, the DB a good 8 yards off the ball. Where's the check-with-me on the pre-snap? Where's the post snap adjustment? I'm sorry but this is an easy read. The DB is accounting for a vertical route, is reading the QB, not the WR & deploying inside technique. He can close on any in-breaking route. The boundary is his help for anything thrown outside. He's giving Olave/Carr the 5, 6yd out route they need to convert. It's one play, but to me, it doesn't fit the narrative.
Agreed, but even with all those specific details it seemed odd he just stopped running. Just looked bad.

There were 2 passes by Carr where he threw behind Olave on crossing patterns that would have been chunk plays if he just leads him. I've seen enough in games to realize Carr as the biggest issue.
Yep. Is a switch to Winston the answer? Who knows. I don't think the Saints think so. Carr is tough. I'll give him that, but toughness isnt everything. At some point you gotta value making plays over toughness.

Agreed, but even with all those specific details it seemed odd he just stopped running. Just looked bad.
Yeah, run the route assigned. Upon further review, we see that the slot receiver, the TE perhaps, runs the out route that's there. He's blurry in the video, but he's there at about the 20yd line. He's open, that's where the QB should be going with the football. So, after looking at it again, I believe Olave's route is the clear out on this play. Could be that he knows his role here & is turning back to provide a block? What the QB does is concerning. I think the OC has the slot run up past that outside 'backer & break wide behind him. I think they knew or suspected that if your rec'r exceeds his depth & then breaks you won't carry him to the boundary. Regardless, it's what occurs, the play design & concept would be known by the QB....

There were 2 passes by Carr where he threw behind Olave on crossing patterns that would have been chunk plays if he just leads him. I've seen enough in games to realize Carr as the biggest issue.
Yep. Is a switch to Winston the answer? Who knows. I don't think the Saints think so. Carr is tough. I'll give him that, but toughness isnt everything. At some point you gotta value making plays over toughness.
He is a tough customer, but looks to be in regression mode. Constantly throws behind targets, and his deep passing has been mostly abysmal. Not sure how much has to do with the AC sprain. A switch to Winston might be better, but I doubt we will find out. Lots of targets for Olave from Carr at 68, but a weak catch rate at 57.4%, and from what I've seen most are poor passes.

I don't think Carr is playing well, at all. Perhaps it is acclimating to a new system, new WRs, IDK. But he seems like he is thinking too much. Before every single play, he's doing too much "23's the Mike," "no 33's the Mike," "check, check," etc, etc.

Right before the 2 minute warning, as they are driving to try to tie the game, they have a 2nd and inches, with about 2 minutes and 20 seconds left. That's a situation where you snap the ball, and take the deep shot (making sure the pass is one only your guy can catch). Worst case scenario, you have 3rd and inches right before the 2-minute warning, and have options where you can run the ball or pass it (since the clock is going to stop at 2MW anyway). What does Carr do? Dumps down to Kamara for a 7 yard gain. Then, instead of rushing to the ball and snapping it before the 2-minute warning, he starts signaling a play to his receivers and looks pissed when they run out of time.

That's a mistake you expect a rookie to make, but he's no rookie.

As a Saints fan, I spoke with a lot of people in the dome last night and several said they watched Olave closely and something is off. He's not finishing routes, low motor, away from his teammates a lot on the sidelines, etc. Several of us speculate something must have happened off of the field or during practice but he seems disconnected (this is our speculation).

Carr either chucks it out of bounds deep to Olave or Shaeed to get those air yards up after dumping it down to Kamara 47x

Carr showing up his receivers and Kamara on a route is hilarious. Cares more about his guy-liner then anything.

Thought about this post when Olave stopped on that one route up the right sideline tonight (where Carr rightly yells “WHAT ARE YOU DOING?”)
The play in question:

They would have to be 15 feet tall and possess Inspector Gadget like arms to catch that throw.

Olave 7/15
Thomas 3/7
Shaheed 4/8

14/30 combined to WRs. This isn’t a WR issue. It’s a QB issue.

Carr has been pretty bad…..love the moxie and he is a tough sob but his talent has regressed. He looks beat up and is not a long term answer at QB for a talented Saints offense.

Olave will be fine long term imo. Ooodles and ooodles of talent.

Last edited:
As a Saints fan, I spoke with a lot of people in the dome last night and several said they watched Olave closely and something is off. He's not finishing routes, low motor, away from his teammates a lot on the sidelines, etc. Several of us speculate something must have happened off of the field or during practice but he seems disconnected (this is our speculation).
Interesting take. Sometimes we get so locked in and don't understand why these damn athletes can't just play football. We shout from the mountain tops about how when u make millions people expect at least effort, but sometimes crap outside of football happens. Stuff in their inner circle that would cripple most of us. Be interesting if something pops up as a reason for his odd behavior.

Interesting take. Sometimes we get so locked in and don't understand why these damn athletes can't just play football. We shout from the mountain tops about how when u make millions people expect at least effort, but sometimes crap outside of football happens. Stuff in their inner circle that would cripple most of us. Be interesting if something pops up as a reason for his odd behavior.
Some think his toe is still hurting and he grabbed it a couple times yesterday. Not sure myself what to think. I wonder if I should shop him in redraft. If he misses time.

This is a link to a fan forum thread, but it summarizes the speculative issue with some backup.
I didn't read all the comments but the play cited as evidence was broken by other members. I agree with them, Olave is assigned to run a deep crossing route, no defender is rotating away from him due to them sensing the play is away. In fact, just like the previous play, his route runs him into double coverage. One member noted that Shaheed, Kamara & Thomas were all better options on the play than was Olave. I have no idea what's going on but to me these two plays say more about the QB.

Carr either chucks it out of bounds deep to Olave or Shaeed to get those air yards up after dumping it down to Kamara 47x

Carr showing up his receivers and Kamara on a route is hilarious. Cares more about his guy-liner then anything.
Agree that yelling at his receivers when he is playing like this is a really bad look. The deep pass to Olave was uncatchable regardless of the route run.

There's definitely something "off" with all the WRs. Maybe figure that out instead of showing them up on a prime time game.

Agree that yelling at his receivers when he is playing like this is a really bad look. The deep pass to Olave was uncatchable regardless of the route run.

There's definitely something "off" with all the WRs. Maybe figure that out instead of showing them up on a prime time game.
Weird that watching the game I didn't think Carr was overly shouting at everyone. Reviewing it, and watching clips that's exactly what it looks like. Maybe thats part of the Olaves frustration. Haven't heard rumbling of teammates being unhappy with him though. Is there rumblings? Saint s are 3-4 and it's not st the point where they move on to next year. Interesting to know what coaches believe.

On that pass to Olave, it looks like maybe Carr saw him check-up and then just threw it away (deep).

Olave was definitely startled to see the ball coming his way. That's odd.

I suspect the toe is going to be a nagging issue as turf toes tend to be, but Carr is by far the bigger issue. His tirades of always blaming others on the field remains intact. Saints need to admit the error and adjust. Winston is no saviour but he has a live arm that will challenge defenses.

On that pass to Olave, it looks like maybe Carr saw him check-up and then just threw it away (deep).

Most likely, Carr called an audible and Olave either didn't hear it or misunderstood it.

Or, the play that was called had an option for him to run deep or short based on the coverage and he and Carr read it differently.

Most likely, Carr called an audible and Olave either didn't hear it or misunderstood it.

Or, the play that was called had an option for him to run deep or short based on the coverage and he and Carr read it differently.
Could be. I personally think in the heat of the play Olave didn't run the route out with the effort Carr thought he should.

Some think his toe is still hurting and he grabbed it a couple times yesterday. Not sure myself what to think. I wonder if I should shop him in redraft. If he misses time.
that was my thought, anyone know if he has had any issues with attitude or anything prior to injury?

Last edited:
In the end, we can ask what's wrong with Olave? Is it effort, is it injury, is it gambling debts to the mafia, but it's really just math. 15 targets is 15 targets. If I get 15 targets, i'm in your fantasy lineup.

Olave is talented, but I know a few coaches who would sit his *** on the bench for awhile given his lack of effort lately. It’s not just last night’s game. It got bad enough Kamara had a talk with him earlier in the season (not sure after which game).

This isn’t all on Carr. Olave is solely responsible for his own effort. Might be time to quit coddling him.

Yeah making it uncatchable was kinda the point after Olave bailed or ran the wrong route. What's Carr supposed to do, but it in the DBs hands where Olave should've been?

Saints receivers where also stone-handing a lot of passes last night, shooting the balls up or towards JAX DBs, like what happened in the pick 6. Carr hasn't been playing great but the whole offense seems off. The entire game looked like they were running a hurry-up 2 minute drill of some sort. The OC stinks methinks.

Yeah making it uncatchable was kinda the point after Olave bailed or ran the wrong route. What's Carr supposed to do, but it in the DBs hands where Olave should've been?
Well, he threw the ball before he stopped the route, so there's that

Olave is talented, but I know a few coaches who would sit his *** on the bench for awhile given his lack of effort lately. It’s not just last night’s game. It got bad enough Kamara had a talk with him earlier in the season (not sure after which game).

This isn’t all on Carr. Olave is solely responsible for his own effort. Might be time to quit coddling him.
So Thomas and Shaheed combined had the same exact catch ratio as Olave, 7/15. Were they dogging it too?

Carr is playing like crap. Even completed passes look difficult. Before last night, Olave had one of the best (possibly the best) separation stats among WRs. Can't be dogging it too badly

I have Olave in dynasty and I want him to be great, but lately, he hasn't been passing the eyeball test with me. He has been looking like a JAG. I'm hoping it's just the offense and a Carr issue, but I worry it is on him as well.

So Thomas and Shaheed combined had the same exact catch ratio as Olave, 7/15. Were they dogging it too?

Carr is playing like crap. Even completed passes look difficult. Before last night, Olave had one of the best (possibly the best) separation stats among WRs. Can't be dogging it too badly
Olave probably goes 100 when the play is designed for him, but yes, he’s dogging it enough to be noticeable & it’s affecting their offense.

You don’t get pulled aside by a respected vet unless that’s the case. Not sure what the issue is with him (laziness, attitude, etc.), but ignoring it isn’t working.

Users who are viewing this thread