What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Brandon Aiyuk, SF (1 Viewer)

I predict he gets traded tomorrow. Not what is best for SF but I just do not seeing them opening up the treasure chest for him. Don’t think for a second that Shanahan doesn’t have the ego to think he can develop another Aiyuk. BA developed incredibly since his rookie season and was in the dog house early in his career. I am sure Kyle thinks he can do the same with another project for less cost. As a BA dynasty holder I hope he stays, but my gut says someone pays a first for him and is moved. Hopefully just indigestion…
He’s not getting traded tomorrow. lol
I would bet your life on it.
Thoughts on Indy trading 1.15 for Aiyuk and a third?
Unless one of the top 3 WRs fall that far there’s no way I see SF doing that.
SF is after an offensive lineman, not WR. Colts wouldn’t do that anyway. Perhaps a first round swap with Indy.
Wait, you're saying 1.15 for 1.31 AND Aiyuk?

If so, that's a massive overpay by SF.
This isn’t fantasy football

I predict he gets traded tomorrow. Not what is best for SF but I just do not seeing them opening up the treasure chest for him. Don’t think for a second that Shanahan doesn’t have the ego to think he can develop another Aiyuk. BA developed incredibly since his rookie season and was in the dog house early in his career. I am sure Kyle thinks he can do the same with another project for less cost. As a BA dynasty holder I hope he stays, but my gut says someone pays a first for him and is moved. Hopefully just indigestion…
None chance

That being said, I expect the 49ers to hold him.
Correct. Because that’s 99% likely to happen.
With Purdy still being cheap they should keep him while in their best position to win.
We have a bingo.

They have outs on Deebo next year & IIRC Kittle in 2026. And CMC isn’t getting younger, unfortunately.

Why would they dump their best young offensive weapon while in a competitive window with a cheap QB?

A: they wouldn’t.

SF is after an offensive lineman, not WR. Colts wouldn’t do that anyway. Perhaps a first round swap with Indy.

This draft is so deep at WR that trading for Aiyuk probably isn’t a good strategy anyway.

This draft is so deep at WR that trading for Aiyuk probably isn’t a good strategy anyway.
I get your point, but Aiyuk is a darn good WR. It's a deep draft but deep with NFL WR2s. I would think any NFL team would rather have Aiyuk over someone like Brian Thomas or Xavier Worthy, which is who we are talking about once you're out of the top 10. The contract will make it impossible for many teams to make that swap of course.
I feel like Aiyuk's proven ability to win on the outside against top CBs is being underrated or overshadowed here. Have we learned nothing from the AJB to Treylon transition? (which I admit I didn't hate at the time as a guy smitten with Treylon).

Saw a trade proposals on the internet yesterday.

To SF: 2024 #5 pick, 2024 #181 pick
To LAC: Aiyuk, 2024 #31 pick, 2024 #94 pick

Thought it was fair. SF can get a WR to replace Aiyuk at a controlled cost.
Doesn't make a lot of sense for the Chargers. That is way too high of a draft pick. It would make more sense if it was someone in the 20-30 range giving up their 1st rounder similar to what Buffalo did for Diggs with Minnesota years back. That is the type of trade I could see happening.
Yep, exactly. I could see Aiyuk being moved in a similar deal to that of the AJ Brown trade - a mid to late first.

Eagles traded #18 and #101 for AJ Brown.

The above deal isn't nearly as steep as that trade.

EDIT: Actually just ran the numbers. The #18 and #101 picks have a value of 996. So the Eagles gave up 996 of draft value for AJ Brown. The #5 and #181 picks are valued at 1,719. The value of #31 and #94 are valued at 724. So the LAC would be giving up 995 of draft value for Aiyuk. Almost identical. Whether it makes sense for either team is a different question, but the value is in line with the AJ Brown trade.

Last edited:
EDIT: Actually just ran the numbers. The #18 and #101 picks have a value of 996. So the Eagles gave up 996 of draft value for AJ Brown. The #5 and #181 picks are valued at 1,719. The value of #31 and #94 are valued at 724. So the LAC would be giving up 995 of draft value for Aiyuk. Almost identical. Whether it makes sense for either team is a different question, but the value is in line with the AJ Brown trade.
Except it's not nearly the same. Giving up a blue chip top 5 pick in the draft is not anything equivalent in reality to giving up the 18 and 101. This is one of those keep adding useless players to one side of the deal to make the KTC trade calculator happy type of things. The "numbers" may show similar value but this is in no galaxy the same.

I don't think it'll happen, but I wouldn't be shocked if, say, Pittsburgh traded 1.20 to SF for him and maybe some conditional late rounder. :shrug:
I keep seeing this suggestion but the Steelers have way bigger holes than WR at the moment. Trading a first round pick to then pay top dollar for a WR when you just hired Arthur Smith to be your OC doesn't seem like a good idea to me.

I don't think it'll happen, but I wouldn't be shocked if, say, Pittsburgh traded 1.20 to SF for him and maybe some conditional late rounder. :shrug:
I keep seeing this suggestion but the Steelers have way bigger holes than WR at the moment. Trading a first round pick to then pay top dollar for a WR when you just hired Arthur Smith to be your OC doesn't seem like a good idea to me.

I heard Arthur is pushing them to draft Larry Csonka.

I'm just over here still wishcasting him to the Jaguars so TLaw's WR1 isn't Gabe Davis :whistle:

Feels like he stays in SF though and I think HSG is on the right track with it coming down to a debate over guaranteed money. I do think Aiyuk could be a WR1 on a lot of other teams though, so don't think his fantasy value is tied to the SF offense; at least not as much as some of the other WRs with trade rumors like Higgins (IMO).

I watched him in his prime and he was a hell of a RB. About as tough of a runner as anyone in history. He punished the defense, much in the way Jimmy Brown, Earl Campbell and Marshawn Lynch did.

Wr is by far their biggest hole

I watched him in his prime and he was a hell of a RB. About as tough of a runner as anyone in history. He punished the defense, much in the way Jimmy Brown, Earl Campbell and Marshawn Lynch did.
Don't forget about Riggins, Bettis, and Okoye! Great memories, Johnny. I never saw Jim Brown play, but one of my first introductions to the NFL was watching Csonka and the Dolphins with my dad.

I remember watching him on the 6 Million Dollar Man.

Don't forget about Riggins, Bettis, and Okoye! Great memories, Johnny. I never saw Jim Brown play, but one of my first introductions to the NFL was watching Csonka and the Dolphins with my dad.
Brown retired around the same year I started watching football (1965), so I was just 6 years old. I don't really remember watching him on TV, but I do know as much as one could know about a player and have seen so many clips of him. It is written that he dished out more punishment than he took and ranks near the top, not only as the top RB off all time, but the most punishing.

The most likely trade destination for Aiyuk seems like New England. Aiyuk would immediately be WR1 almost anywhere he goes; the Patriots, however, are as WR-needy as any team in the NFL. The Patriots seem almost certain to draft a QB in Round 1, with Drake Maye or JJ McCarthy the most rumored targets. Supporting their new QB with a veteran WR would make great sense.

(I have Aiyuk rostered in one league.) If he goes to New England, it seems likely his value would take an initial dip, but long-term, I wouldn't dislike the move.

They don't even have a Center on the roster but ok

The most likely trade destination for Aiyuk seems like New England. Aiyuk would immediately be WR1 almost anywhere he goes; the Patriots, however, are as WR-needy as any team in the NFL. The Patriots seem almost certain to draft a QB in Round 1, with Drake Maye or JJ McCarthy the most rumored targets. Supporting their new QB with a veteran WR would make great sense.

(I have Aiyuk rostered in one league.) If he goes to New England, it seems likely his value would take an initial dip, but long-term, I wouldn't dislike the move.
Part of being the most likely trade destination requires having the type of assets and draft capital SF would be willing to accept. SF isn't taking a second rounder so I have no idea what that deal would look like.

Not to mention they have a noodle armed Russ as the presumed starter - what good does having a field-stretcher do if the QB can't throw the ball more than 30 yards with a 10 step running start?

Remember that "hail Mary" he tried? lmao :lol: He'd be doing that on every deep shot to Aiyuk.

Part of being the most likely trade destination requires having the type of assets and draft capital SF would be willing to accept. SF isn't taking a second rounder so I have no idea what that deal would look like.
With Brissett as the presumed starter/bridge QB, Aiyuk would be completely wasted talent in NE. They might trade down because they don't want to waste seasons of a rookie QB, why in the world would they possibly acquire a top tier WR?

Madness.

With Brissett as the presumed starter/bridge QB, Aiyuk would be completely wasted talent in NE. They might trade down because they don't want to waste seasons of a rookie QB, why in the world would they possibly acquire a top tier WR?

Madness.
If the Pats trade down it's not because of concerns of wasting a rookie season, it's because a combination of 1) not being completely sold on who's there at 3, and 2) getting blown away by the package being offered in return.

Getting Aiyuk makes sense for the reason @socrates stated: to get their new rookie QB a reliable target at WR, a foundational piece. They were ready to pay up for Calvin Ridley but got outbid by the Titans. The Pats were rightfully criticized for not surrounding their last young QB with talent, so I don't see the problem with trying to rectify that with their new QB. They have the money to pay up, and Aiyuk is still young. Also Brissett is exactly that, a bridge QB. There's no guarantee he starts the whole season. The rookie may not be ready until 2025, or may be ready as soon as mid-October. It's all speculation. I still don't think it happens, but I see nothing wrong with the idea. I want the Pats to at least try to improve the roster.

Last edited:

Madness.
As a NE fan, I'd much rather see them part with their #34 pick (+ something else I'd assume) and acquire Aiyuk vs. roll the dice on one of those projected 2nd round WRs (which there are many).

NE has to get a legit #1 WR at some point. With K. Bourne (an Aiyuk buddy), Pop Douglass in the slot, KJ Osborne, H. Henry, and Rhamandre out of the backfield I'd say they could at least be competent.

Could indeed be a waste the first year, but things could round into shape in year 2.

I’m going on record to officially say that if New England trades for Brandon Aiyuk, it will be the stupidest move a football team going through a complete rebuild has ever made during a draft.

If the Pats trade down it's not because of concerns of wasting a rookie season, it's because a combination of 1) not being completely sold on who's there at 3, and 2) getting blown away by the package being offered in return.
It would be one, the other, or both.

They’re going through a complete rebuild, and signed Brissett to start this year.

Even if they draft a rookie QB, it’s believed Brissett will be the bridge guy for a season.

Getting Brissett receiving weapons should be a very, very, very low priority compared to NEP’s other needs.

Correct. Speaks volumes about how big a hole Pittsburgh created by trading Diontae away.

Center can be addressed in the draft easier than finding an elite WR who is also a plus on running plays.

I’m going on record to officially say that if New England trades for Brandon Aiyuk, it will be the stupidest move a football team going through a complete rebuild has ever made during a draft.

I don’t see the logic in this…they are probably gonna draft a QB with the #3 pick and once they do the single most important thing (and there is not a close second) is surrounding that young QB with the best weapons and O line possible…Aiyuk is exactly the type of player that can help the development of a young QB…add in the fact they have more salary cap space then they know what to do with and they are in the perfect position to make this type of move.

Last edited:
It would be one, the other, or both.

They’re going through a complete rebuild, and signed Brissett to start this year.

Even if they draft a rookie QB, it’s believed Brissett will be the bridge guy for a season.

Getting Brissett receiving weapons should be a very, very, very low priority compared to NEP’s other needs.
You're only looking at this from a one-season perspective though, and not the big picture.

Trading for Aiyuk isn't to rent him for one season, it's to have him for the foreseeable future, including the years that the new QB takes over. If, and it's a big if, the Pats could trade for Aiyuk without giving up a 1st rounder in the process, and then give him the contract he's looking for, that sets them up with a WR1 for multiple years. If the goal of 2024 is to completely tank and be in position for another top 5 pick next draft then sure, leave the cupboard bare at WR. But getting Aiyuk isn't specifically about getting Brissett weapons as it is about getting the offense weapons so they're better positioned for the future. Exactly how much compensation would be needed in terms of picks in order to get Aiyuk would determine how much I'd lean toward your side of things, as I wouldn't want the Pats to go overboard giving up draft capital.

What are their other higher priority needs outside of a rookie QB?

WR...T...WR...T...WR...T...TE...RB...hell, anything on offense.
Yeah exactly my point. Offensive weapons (specifically WRs) are their biggest priority IMO.

Agreed...if Brady were still QB that would still be their biggest need.

Correct. Speaks volumes about how big a hole Pittsburgh created by trading Diontae away.

Center can be addressed in the draft easier than finding an elite WR who is also a plus on running plays.
So… You just made a perfect case for why San Francisco should not trade away Brandon Ayuk.

I don’t see the logic in this…they are probably gonna draft a QB with the #3 pick and once they do the single most important thing (and there is not a close second) is surrounding that young QB with the best weapons and O line possible…Aiyuk is exactly the type of player that can help the development of a young QB…add in the fact they have more salary cap space then they know what to do with and they are in the perfect position to make this type of move.
Sure, surround a rookie quarterback with talent. I get that. But trading a first round pick for an elite wide receiver to do. It seems like a fools errand. Better to draft a receiver so the young QB & young receiver are both developing and on the cheap.

Aiyuk isn’t gonna suddenly waive his desire to be the highest paid WR if he gets dealt to EBP, right?

Sure, surround a rookie quarterback with talent. I get that. But trading a first round pick for an elite wide receiver to do. It seems like a fools errand. Better to draft a receiver so the young QB & young receiver are both developing and on the cheap.

Aiyuk isn’t gonna suddenly waive his desire to be the highest paid WR if he gets dealt to EBP, right?

Maybe the disconnect here is the 1st round pick part...as far as the Pats are concerned that's not happening...that would be foolish...they aren't dealing #3 this year and no way are they dealing next year's #1 which most likely will be a very high one...now if they can get him with pick #34 and another pick that makes sense for them (not sure about San Fran though)...the $ is not an issue...they have more cap space then they can use right now and as they showed with Ridley (who is older and not as good as Aiyuk) they are willing to spend big $ at that position.

Maybe the disconnect here is the 1st round pick part...as far as the Pats are concerned that's not happening...that would be foolish...they aren't dealing #3 this year and no way are they dealing next year's #1 which most likely will be a very high one...now if they can get him with pick #34 and another pick that makes sense for them (not sure about San Fran though)...the $ is not an issue...they have more cap space then they can use right now and as they showed with Ridley (who is older and not as good as Aiyuk) they are willing to spend big $ at that position.
I think that is obvious. The best the 49'ers can hope for is a first round swap with someone lower than 1.03. No way even a 1st round swap works with NE. If not a 1st rd swap with someone, perhaps two 2nds with with someone between 15 and 20. This isn't a great year to try and trade a WR imo, because of the WR depth.

I think that is obvious. The best the 49'ers can hope for is a first round swap with someone lower than 1.03. No way even a 1st round swap works with NE. If not a 1st rd swap with someone, perhaps two 2nds with with someone between 15 and 20. This isn't a great year to try and trade a WR imo, because of the WR depth.
SF will be happy to hang onto him and eventually pay him what he's asking for if that's the best offer available. That's not the going rate for top WRs.

Why would the 49ers take anything less for Aiyuk than a 1st?

Also with such a deep WR class, again - why not just take a rookie WR with that 34?

It makes little sense to me for the Pats to trade for Aiyuk.

SF will be happy to hang onto him and eventually pay him what he's asking for if that's the best offer available. That's not the going rate for top WRs.
You have to take into account his asking price. If someone is willing to pay him they are not going to give up a ton of draft capital. No way is anyone in the top 10 going to give up that draft capital for Aiyuk, even in a 1st round swap and still have to pay him what he wants. The best trade scenario for Aiyuk is to trade with some in the middle first and don't expect them to give just a 1st for Aiyuk. That is my opinion.

Exactly.

Not to mention that the 49ers would then put themselves in a bind with a hole at WR2, which they’d have to solve by drafting one.

Moreover they’d have to draft one who fit their scheme, and is a capable blocker.

In the middle of a SB window.

Right. He’s not getting traded. Would be foolish.

Phil gave up picks 18 and 101 for A.J. Brown. I would expect SF to want somewhat equivalent compensation for Aiyuk. Maybe pick 34 and next year's second?

Users who are viewing this thread