What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Brandon Aiyuk, SF (1 Viewer)

I’m going on record to officially say that if New England trades for Brandon Aiyuk, it will be the stupidest move a football team going through a complete rebuild has ever made during a draft.

I don’t see the logic in this…they are probably gonna draft a QB with the #3 pick and once they do the single most important thing (and there is not a close second) is surrounding that young QB with the best weapons and O line possible…Aiyuk is exactly the type of player that can help the development of a young QB…add in the fact they have more salary cap space then they know what to do with and they are in the perfect position to make this type of move.
Sure, surround a rookie quarterback with talent. I get that. But trading a first round pick for an elite wide receiver to do. It seems like a fools errand. Better to draft a receiver so the young QB & young receiver are both developing and on the cheap.

Aiyuk isn’t gonna suddenly waive his desire to be the highest paid WR if he gets dealt to EBP, right?

Maybe the disconnect here is the 1st round pick part...as far as the Pats are concerned that's not happening...that would be foolish...they aren't dealing #3 this year and no way are they dealing next year's #1 which most likely will be a very high one...now if they can get him with pick #34 and another pick that makes sense for them (not sure about San Fran though)...the $ is not an issue...they have more cap space then they can use right now and as they showed with Ridley (who is older and not as good as Aiyuk) they are willing to spend big $ at that position.
Phil gave up picks 18 and 101 for A.J. Brown. I would expect SF to want somewhat equivalent compensation for Aiyuk. Maybe pick 34 and next year's second?
Isn't gong to happen with this draft being so deep at WR. Natta. The best the 49'ers will do is a 1st rd swap with a middle 1st rd team and perhaps a 2nd rd swap going their way, or 2 2nd rd picks. No one would trade a mid-1st for Aiyuk, let alone add something in the 100 range. Not this year. Just my opinion of course. All of this with the notion they will have to pay Aiyuk a handsome contract.

I’m going on record to officially say that if New England trades for Brandon Aiyuk, it will be the stupidest move a football team going through a complete rebuild has ever made during a draft.

I don’t see the logic in this…they are probably gonna draft a QB with the #3 pick and once they do the single most important thing (and there is not a close second) is surrounding that young QB with the best weapons and O line possible…Aiyuk is exactly the type of player that can help the development of a young QB…add in the fact they have more salary cap space then they know what to do with and they are in the perfect position to make this type of move.
Sure, surround a rookie quarterback with talent. I get that. But trading a first round pick for an elite wide receiver to do. It seems like a fools errand. Better to draft a receiver so the young QB & young receiver are both developing and on the cheap.

Aiyuk isn’t gonna suddenly waive his desire to be the highest paid WR if he gets dealt to EBP, right?

Maybe the disconnect here is the 1st round pick part...as far as the Pats are concerned that's not happening...that would be foolish...they aren't dealing #3 this year and no way are they dealing next year's #1 which most likely will be a very high one...now if they can get him with pick #34 and another pick that makes sense for them (not sure about San Fran though)...the $ is not an issue...they have more cap space then they can use right now and as they showed with Ridley (who is older and not as good as Aiyuk) they are willing to spend big $ at that position.
Why would the 49ers take anything less for Aiyuk than a 1st?

Also with such a deep WR class, again - why not just take a rookie WR with that 34?

It makes little sense to me for the Pats to trade for Aiyuk.

I pretty much said that about San Fran...as for the Pats I 100% disagree with you...if you can get a 25-year second team All Pro to go with a rookie QB you do it ASAP...but as pointed out I'm not sure San Fran is gonna want to do it unless they can get a #1 which the Pats are in no position to do.

Isn't gong to happen with this draft being so deep at WR. Natta. The best the 49'ers will do is a 1st rd swap with a middle 1st rd team and perhaps a 2nd rd swap going their way, or 2 2nd rd picks. No one would trade a mid-1st for Aiyuk, let alone add something in the 100 range. Not this year. Just my opinion of course.
Agreed. And I don’t see why SF would do that. All they’re doing is creating a need for what they’re trading away.

Jennings is not going to step in & replace Aiyuk. And with Deebo & Kittle both getting older and seemingly more injury prone, I don’t see them dealing away their youngest, best receiver.

Last edited:

Also with such a deep WR class, again - why not just take a rookie WR with that 34?

I pretty much said that about San Fran...as for the Pats I 100% disagree with you...if you can get a 25-year second team All Pro to go with a rookie QB you do it ASAP...but as pointed out I'm not sure San Fran is gonna want to do it unless they can get a #1 which the Pats are in no position to do.
Some of you seem to forget the contract that Aiyuk is seeking. That plays into all of this. No one is going to give up 1st round draft capital alone and pay him what he wants. Please take that into consideration, because I sure do. A first round swap plus a 2nd round swap, or two 2nd's is best they are going to do IMO giving the contract that he wants.

Some of you seem to forget the contract that Aiyuk is seeking. That plays into all of this. No one is going to give up 1st round draft capital alone and pay him what he wants. Please take that into consideration, because I sure do. A first round swap plus a 2nd round swap, or two 2nd's is best they are going to do IMO giving the contract that he wants.

I have actually addressed that more then once as far as the Pats are concerned if you read some of my posts.

but as pointed out I'm not sure San Fran is gonna want to do it unless they can get a #1 which the Pats are in no position to do.
I seriously doubt they would.

As for the Pats, Aiyuk turned 26 in March. Let’s say they draft a rookie QB, and start Brissett for a year as a bridge guy.

By the time the rookie is starting, Aiyuk is 27. Maybe he’s good, maybe he ain’t. By the time the rebuild is done, Aiyuk is what, 28? 29?

And they’ve invested ~25M a year in him.

Wouldn’t it make more sense for the Pats to go QB at 3, and WR at 34, have them both on rookie contracts, and then maybe pay a big FA WR when the team is ready to actually compete?

Honestly IMO it make even more sense for the Pats to deal away the 3 for a haul, build the OL & DL up, suck for a year with Brissett, and then draft their QB of the future after they’ve rebuilt the trenches & can protect the QB.

Maybe look at adding offensive weapons when that time comes.

That’s how I’d approach it if we’re the Pats.

but as pointed out I'm not sure San Fran is gonna want to do it unless they can get a #1 which the Pats are in no position to do.

As for the Pats, Aiyuk turned 26 in March. Let’s say they draft a rookie QB, and start Brissett for a year as a bridge guy.

By the time the rookie is starting, Aiyuk is 27. Maybe he’s good, maybe he ain’t. By the time the rebuild is done, Aiyuk is what, 28? 29?

Wouldn’t it make more sense for the Pats to go QB at 3, and WR at 34, have them both on rookie contracts, and then maybe pay a big FA WR when the team is ready to actually compete?

IMO it is not even close...I'd much rather have a known quantity in Aiyuk there in his prime to help in his development then a rookie second-rounder...they will not ever be ready to compete if they don't develop this QB correctly....right now the Pats aren't concerned about competing they are concerned about getting out of the ditch they are in and if they don't develop a QB they won't be out of it any time soon...as for $ it is a complete non-issue with the Pats...their cap situation is so good it is annoying...they need to be spending $ not saving it.

I think that is obvious. The best the 49'ers can hope for is a first round swap with someone lower than 1.03. No way even a 1st round swap works with NE. If not a 1st rd swap with someone, perhaps two 2nds with with someone between 15 and 20. This isn't a great year to try and trade a WR imo, because of the WR depth.
SF will be happy to hang onto him and eventually pay him what he's asking for if that's the best offer available. That's not the going rate for top WRs.
You have to take into account his asking price. If someone is willing to pay him they are not going to give up a ton of draft capital. No way is anyone in the top 10 going to give up that draft capital for Aiyuk, even in a 1st round swap and still have to pay him what he wants. The best trade scenario for Aiyuk is to trade with some in the middle first and don't expect them to give just a 1st for Aiyuk. That is my opinion.
The AJ Brown established the market for this kind of trade. Brown was also asking for a big contract. SF isn't in a situation where they have to take less than the Titans did - they can afford his next contract.

1) If the Pats draft a QB I find it very difficult to believe Brissett is starting all 17 games. They would want to see what they have/develop that asset now so they can continue to rebuild. No QB = no rebuild.
2) I'd much rather have a proven commodity (Aiyuk) than whatever they would get at #34. Maybe I've just had to live with the Pat's abysmal WR drafting for so long, but a proven NFL receiver is loads more valuable than a rookie.

I have actually addressed that more then once as far as the Pats are concerned if you read some of my posts.
I did say "some"

I think that is obvious. The best the 49'ers can hope for is a first round swap with someone lower than 1.03. No way even a 1st round swap works with NE. If not a 1st rd swap with someone, perhaps two 2nds with with someone between 15 and 20. This isn't a great year to try and trade a WR imo, because of the WR depth.
SF will be happy to hang onto him and eventually pay him what he's asking for if that's the best offer available. That's not the going rate for top WRs.
You have to take into account his asking price. If someone is willing to pay him they are not going to give up a ton of draft capital. No way is anyone in the top 10 going to give up that draft capital for Aiyuk, even in a 1st round swap and still have to pay him what he wants. The best trade scenario for Aiyuk is to trade with some in the middle first and don't expect them to give just a 1st for Aiyuk. That is my opinion.
The AJ Brown established the market for this kind of trade. Brown was also asking for a big contract. SF isn't in a situation where they have to take less than the Titans did - they can afford his next contract.
I think you're forgetting that teams may think they can get a good rookie WR that isn't 26 years old for a rookie contract. Yes, there will be some that ignore that, but when you factor in the cost of the contract and draft capital, well.....

1) If the Pats draft a QB I find it very difficult to believe Brissett is starting all 17 games. They would want to see what they have/develop that asset now so they can continue to rebuild. No QB = no rebuild.
2) I'd much rather have a proven commodity (Aiyuk) than whatever they would get at #34. Maybe I've just had to live with the Pat's abysmal WR drafting for so long, but a proven NFL receiver is loads more valuable than a rookie.

Totally agreed…if they were tight with the cap that would be one thing but that is a complete non-issue…as for this year if they go QB I think they would handle it like the Colts and ARich…plan on starting the veteran bridge guy but once the rookie shows he is ready you go with him…ARich showed it in camp but for the Pats it may be later…you let the rookie’s development dictate when it is time.

I think you're forgetting that teams may think they can get a good rookie WR that isn't 26 years old for a rookie contract. Yes, there will be some that ignore that, but when you factor in the cost of the contract and draft capital, well.....
You seem to be under the impression that SF needs to move him and will have to take whatever they can get this year. They aren't going to move him unless they get compensation commensurate with the caliber player he is - which is a solid first round pick + more. The fact that this is a deep WR draft probably means that a deal is unlikely to get done, not that SF is going to have to suck it up and trade Aiyuk for whatever bad deal Indy or NE proposes them.

Deebo has entered the trade convo.

The 49ers have had conversations with teams, including with one picking in the top 10, about trading either of their prized wide receivers Brandon Aiyuk or Deebo Samuel in an effort to move up in the first round, per sources.

What are the cap ramifications if they trade Deebo?
A lot of dead money IIRC
$21.7 million in dead money. $6.9 in cap savings which they don't really need right now.

Deebo has entered the trade convo.

The 49ers have had conversations with teams, including with one picking in the top 10, about trading either of their prized wide receivers Brandon Aiyuk or Deebo Samuel in an effort to move up in the first round, per sources.

What are the cap ramifications if they trade Deebo?
A lot of dead money IIRC

That is what I thought which is why dealing him could be a little tricky.

Once the big 3 wr are gone, Aiyuk is best available. However, cost of contract is weighing his return down against that. A high 2nd and something else might be about fair return.
Which would be woefully insufficient for the 49ers as far as return. Then they're in the same hole as other WR-needy teams. Makes zero sense to deal away Aiyuk unless it's for a haul - and as others have said, I don't anticipate any team offering a haul, then having to pay Aiyuk a massive contract, in a draft that's so deep at WR.

I'd much rather have a proven commodity (Aiyuk) than whatever they would get at #34. Maybe I've just had to live with the Pat's abysmal WR drafting for so long, but a proven NFL receiver is loads more valuable than a rookie.
And once again, someone makes an iron-clad case for why the 49ers should not deal away Aiyuk.

You seem to be under the impression that SF needs to move him and will have to take whatever they can get this year. They aren't going to move him unless they get compensation commensurate with the caliber player he is - which is a solid first round pick + more. The fact that this is a deep WR draft probably means that a deal is unlikely to get done, not that SF is going to have to suck it up and trade Aiyuk for whatever bad deal Indy or NE proposes them.
Why is he on the block in the first place? Is there tension? Is it the contract demands? He is a UFA in 2025, are they willing to let him walk without getting anything? That plays into this as well, so to say their isn't an urgency too move him is not correct.

Why is he on the block in the first place? Is there tension? Is it the contract demands? He is a UFA in 2025, are they willing to let him walk without getting anything? That plays into this as well, so to say their isn't an urgency too move him is not correct.
He's not.

He asked for a trade. The team said anyone is available for the right price. It's basically what you tell your leaguemates when they ask if a player is available. Aiyuk has now watched Trent Williams get paid, Kittle get paid, Deebo get paid, and now it's his turn. He's been playing under his contract for years. He's earned it.

The trade demand is largely seen as a negotiating tactic. He was visibly frustrated by his usage in the SB (or lack thereof) - and he wants a contract.

I would not characterize this as the 49ers putting him on the block. They didn't come out and announce that they wanted to deal Aiyuk. To the contrary, they've said several times that they wanted to work with Aiyuk to get him signed, and hopefully soon.

He's not.

He asked for a trade. The team said anyone is available for the right price. It's basically what you tell your leaguemates when they ask if a player is available. Aiyuk has now watched Trent Williams get paid, Kittle get paid, Deebo get paid, and now it's his turn. He's been playing under his contract for years. He's earned it.

The trade demand is largely seen as a negotiating tactic. He was visibly frustrated by his usage in the SB (or lack thereof) - and he wants a contract.

I would not characterize this as the 49ers putting him on the block. They didn't come out and announce that they wanted to deal Aiyuk. To the contrary, they've said several times that they wanted to work with Aiyuk to get him signed, and hopefully soon.
That doesn't change the fact that he is a UFA in 2025 and are they willing to let him walk with ZERO?

I'd much rather have a proven commodity (Aiyuk) than whatever they would get at #34. Maybe I've just had to live with the Pat's abysmal WR drafting for so long, but a proven NFL receiver is loads more valuable than a rookie.
And once again, someone makes an iron-clad case for why the 49ers should not deal away Aiyuk.
Well yes and no. It makes a little more sense for a team like SF to trade away Aiyuk and sign a rookie/someone else to save money. I'm not saying it's a great idea, and as JohnnyU pointed out, Aiyuk is an FA in 2025, so it's far from iron-clad that they don't deal him IMO.

He's not.

That doesn't change the fact that he is a UFA in 2025 and are they willing to let him walk with ZERO?
Oh, I didn’t realize they quietly amended the CBA to remove the franchise tag.

Well yes and no. It makes a little more sense for a team like SF to trade away Aiyuk and sign a rookie/someone else to save money. I'm not saying it's a great idea, and as JohnnyU pointed out, Aiyuk is an FA in 2025, so it's far from iron-clad that they don't deal him IMO.
Except for the fact that they’re in a SB window, having literally just lost the SB last year.

With an aging Deebo & Kittle, both of whom have escape clauses in their contracts over the next 2 years, respectively, and with the 49ers having the $ to re-sign their WR1.

I would argue it makes the least sense if any team in the NFL for the 49ers to deal away Ayiuk, especially when you consider his contributions as a blocker.

A rookie is most certainly not going to replace what Aiyuk brings to the table. That’s a bit preposterous. The only way it would make any sense is if they couldn’t afford him. Which, reportedly, they can.

He's not.

You can't franchise tag someone who is a UFA if memory serves.

ETA: What is the franchise tag? It is a designation teams can apply to a player scheduled to become an unrestricted free agent, and it binds the player to the team for one season. Franchise tag figures are based on the top five salaries at each position.

Last edited:
He's not.

Incorrect.

He's not.

Incorrect.
You are correct. What is the franchise tag? It is a designation teams can apply to a player scheduled to become an unrestricted free agent, and it binds the player to the team for one season. Franchise tag figures are based on the top five salaries at each position.

Not to mention they have a noodle armed Russ as the presumed starter - what good does having a field-stretcher do if the QB can't throw the ball more than 30 yards with a 10 step running start?

You can reasonably criticize Wilson for a lot of things, but deep passing seems like an odd criticism for him. According to PFF, there were 21 QBs who attempted at least 50 deep passes in 2023. Some of Wilson's ranks among them:
  • #4 in deep passing attempt % (13.4%)
  • Tied for #1 in ADOT (32.9) with Hurts - so he threw deeper than all but Hurts, who matched him
  • Tied for #10 in adjusted completion percentage (adjusted for drops)
  • #10 in PFF passing grade (92.3)
  • #7 in NFL passer rating (112.5)

The 49ers should absolutely keep Aiyuk and pay him what he's worth. Will they is the question. And if they don't, then they have to decide if they want to risk letting him walk next year or get a rookie WR now and get 4 cost controlled years and hope the other stars can pick up the slack.

Not to mention they have a noodle armed Russ as the presumed starter - what good does having a field-stretcher do if the QB can't throw the ball more than 30 yards with a 10 step running start?

You can reasonably criticize Wilson for a lot of things, but deep passing seems like an odd criticism for him. According to PFF, there were 21 QBs who attempted at least 50 deep passes in 2023. Some of Wilson's ranks among them:
  • Tied for #1 in ADOT (32.9) with Hurts - so he threw deeper than all but Hurts, who matched him
I just know what my eyes told me. When he tried a hail mary, he needed 10 running steps and didn't get the ball past the 20 from his own 45.

All the stats in the world won't change what I saw.

I just know what my eyes told me. When he tried a hail mary, he needed 10 running steps and didn't get the ball past the 20 from his own 45.

Also, those stats don't really mean all that much in a vacuum. #10 out of 21 is barely top half. The Broncos threw deep a lot because they were typically trailing. ADOT is a stat I don't really like as a whole but especially for a QB (means slightly more for a WR, and even then really only for fantasy purposes). There's a big difference between "Russ throws a good deep ball" and "Russ throws it deep more than other QBs"

Also, those stats don't really mean all that much in a vacuum. #10 out of 21 is barely top half. The Broncos threw deep a lot because they were typically trailing. ADOT is a stat I don't really like as a whole but especially for a QB (means slightly more for a WR, and even then really only for fantasy purposes). There's a big difference between "Russ throws a good deep ball" and "Russ throws it deep more than other QBs"

I didn't list a single cumulative metric. So "throws it more often" doesn't really factor in.

#10 of 21 really equates to #10 in the league. The guys with fewer than 50 attempts aren't good at it, so they don't do it.

This has been a well known strength for Wilson throughout his career.

I will agree to disagree on this.

This has been a well known strength for Wilson throughout his career.
Which he is closer to the end of than the beginning. Much of his struggle in DEN (and at the end of his time in SEA) was that he'd lost something off of his fastball.

His career shows a pretty good deep ball thrower. His current arm, notsomuch. It is what it is. I know what he showed on the field.

He’s not getting traded tomorrow. lol
I don't think it'll happen, but I wouldn't be shocked if, say, Pittsburgh traded 1.20 to SF for him and maybe some conditional late rounder. :shrug:
I keep seeing this suggestion but the Steelers have way bigger holes than WR at the moment. Trading a first round pick to then pay top dollar for a WR when you just hired Arthur Smith to be your OC doesn't seem like a good idea to me.
Wr is by far their biggest hole
They don't even have a Center on the roster but ok
Spencer Anderson is probably their actual plan.

I don't think it'll happen, but I wouldn't be shocked if, say, Pittsburgh traded 1.20 to SF for him and maybe some conditional late rounder. :shrug:
I keep seeing this suggestion but the Steelers have way bigger holes than WR at the moment. Trading a first round pick to then pay top dollar for a WR when you just hired Arthur Smith to be your OC doesn't seem like a good idea to me.
Correct. Speaks volumes about how big a hole Pittsburgh created by trading Diontae away.

Center can be addressed in the draft easier than finding an elite WR who is also a plus on running plays.
I an far from convinced they even need a C, but they can also get a god one in the 4th round.

Correct. Speaks volumes about how big a hole Pittsburgh created by trading Diontae away.

Center can be addressed in the draft easier than finding an elite WR who is also a plus on running plays.
So… You just made a perfect case for why San Francisco should not trade away Brandon Ayuk.
No really. The trade is about losing an expensive WR for a rookie. Rookie WR's are typically pretty productive these days.

No really. The trade is about losing an expensive WR for a rookie. Rookie WR's are typically pretty productive these days.
Rookies don’t know the scheme, have questionable blocking ability and bust at about a 26% rate according to the last 20 NFL drafts.

Not exactly a gamble a superbowl contender should be making.

Users who are viewing this thread