What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Brandon Aiyuk, SF (2 Viewers)

I can’t imagine the 49ers letting him walk.

They tend to play hardball, then cave. It’s the trend.

That said, they have a lot of needs, and Aiyuk would command a pretty solid return in trade.

I’m hopeful they retain him, but depending on the deal I could see moving him, elevating Jennings, and signing one of the lesser tier FA WRs.

They mostly play in 2 WR sets, which makes it a little easier to understand why they’d move him.

This might be a "play me or trade me" type of deal because the one question I have about Aiyuk's worth to SF is are they really going to use him commensurately to his salary? By that I mean are they ever going to go to him enough to justify the kind of money he's going to need when extension time rolls around? He's clearly one of the top all-around receivers in the game. His talent is almost limitless. Separation, route-running, blocking, you name it.

But if he's an overpriced decoy then it's time to move on and get something for him. SF needs help along their offensive line and probably needs another EDGE rusher.

I GM Aiyuk in my second dynasty league and would like and have tried to obtain him (years ago, even) in my main league, but I'm not really that biased as that second league is more an experimental and diversification league for me, so I like seeing what goes down with guys I don't have in my main league. (This does not mean I do not try or skimp on that league—quite the opposite, but there isn't that same fervor about winning. It's more fun for me because it allows me to buck some trends and watch some other guys who aren't statistically likely to be great or aren't scouted as sure things.) But given all that, Aiyuk just isn't used enough to be in the running for the top five WRs overall in fantasy though he is probably top five in talent, and something has got to give there.

Just some thoughts on Aiyuk. It strikes me they could pay him, but would they ever be able to justify paying him that much given his usage? That's the rub, I think.

This might be a "play me or trade me" type of deal because the one question I have about Aiyuk's worth to SF is are they really going to use him commensurately to his salary? By that I mean are they ever going to go to him enough to justify the kind of money he's going to need when extension time rolls around? He's clearly one of the top all-around receivers in the game. His talent is almost limitless. Separation, route-running, blocking, you name it.

But if he's an overpriced decoy then it's time to move on and get something for him. SF needs help along their offensive line and probably needs another EDGE rusher.

I GM Aiyuk in my second dynasty league and would like and have tried to obtain him (years ago, even) in my main league, but I'm not really that biased as that second league is more an experimental and diversification league for me, so I like seeing what goes down with guys I don't have in my main league. (This does not mean I do not try or skimp on that league—quite the opposite, but there isn't that same fervor about winning. It's more fun for me because it allows me to buck some trends and watch some other guys who aren't statistically likely to be great or aren't scouted as sure things.) But given all that, Aiyuk just isn't used enough to be in the running for the top five WRs overall in fantasy though he is probably top five in talent, and something has got to give there.

Just some thoughts on Aiyuk. It strikes me they could pay him, but would they ever be able to justify paying him that much given his usage? That's the rub, I think.
Personally I feel like they paid the wrong WR. Deebo gets hurt at a light breeze lately, and if he can’t stay healthy in a slash/wideback role, he’s kinda worthless - because he isn’t as good of a route runner as Aiyuk, and a team like the Chiefs shut him down on his designed runs.

At this point I’d almost rather see Aiyuk/Jennings out there with Kittle & Juice than Deebo.

But hindsight is always 20-20 I guess.

Anyway, I agree with your post entirely - if Aiyuk’s getting 25 mil to be an occasional deep threat with 3-5 targets a game, it’s kind of a waste of $.

Last edited:
He had 1342 yards in 16 games, it’s not like he was a forgotten part of the offense. I think they’ll find a way to make a deal work; their attempt to trade a star for a pick with whom they’d select a replacement failed disastrously with the Buckner trade. They’ll be free of the Deebo money after next year.

He had 1342 yards in 16 games, it’s not like he was a forgotten part of the offense. I think they’ll find a way to make a deal work; their attempt to trade a star for a pick with whom they’d select a replacement failed disastrously with the Buckner trade. They’ll be free of the Deebo money after next year.
I agree they need to keep him, but I also agree they need to target him more. Only 105 targets in 2023. Great yardage numbers but was criminally underused. I know they have a lot of talented playmakers, but he should be getting a bigger slice.

I still think the Buckner trade was actually smart. Had to decide between Buckner and Armstead and Buckner brought the #13 overall pick where Armstead probably brings a 3rd rounder at the time. If they draft Wirfs like they should have, then nobody complains about the deal. Couldn't believe Wirfs fell and when the Ruggs pick was announced, I was ecstatic. Then the trade with TB is announced and you knew they were taking Wirfs. He could have played RG for a year until Glinch left. That one hurt.

They're gonna pay him. If you are going to roll with Purdy, you don't let a top WR who excels at YAC leave the team. He is EXACTLY what Purdy needs.
IMO it’s more the route running than the YAC.

Purdy plays in a system where he’s expected to throw to a spot. Anticipatory throws are the bread & butter of the 49ers intermediate & deep game.

Aiyuk is the perfect target for those.

They're gonna pay him. If you are going to roll with Purdy, you don't let a top WR who excels at YAC leave the team. He is EXACTLY what Purdy needs.

Purdy plays in a system where he’s expected to throw to a spot. Anticipatory throws are the bread & butter of the 49ers intermediate & deep game.

Just going to mention here for sake of convo that I was listening to a Move the Sticks Podcast after the Super Bowl and Jeremiah and Brooks were saying what they felt was the biggest need for SF's offense was a WR who could consistently beat man coverage and were better route runners then what they have now.

I believe Aiyuk has some strong yards per route run numbers vs man ,and some people tried to come after Brooks on twitter over that but he doubled down and here are some of his replies.

Just going to mention here for sake of convo that I was listening to a Move the Sticks Podcast after the Super Bowl and Jeremiah and Brooks were saying what they felt was the biggest need for SF's offense was a WR who could consistently beat man coverage and were better route runners then what they have now.

I believe Aiyuk has some strong yards per route run numbers vs man ,and some people tried to come after Brooks on twitter over that but he doubled down and here are some of his replies.

I've never heard of Bucky Brooks, but I'm sorry he's very wrong about Aiyuk. I say this while his point stands about their pass catchers as a whole. Deebo in particular is closer to a running back than a receiver. McCafferty has shown to be a better option against man, altho tbf he's going against linebackers. I would also argue Jauan Jennings creates better separation one-on-one than Deebo.

I don't know about Kittle. I'm inclined to say he's very similar to Deebo in this regard, however great he is as an all around player, struggles to get open when matched up against a defensive back or a good cover linebacker.

Let me tell you, this is not Aiyuk at all. Some would say he's the best pure receiver in the NFL - notably PFF. I implore you to judge for yourself with the all-22 of his pass routes in the super bowl here. It's only 8 minutes. I also have vs Detroit NFC championship, and vs Pittsburgh Week1.

I fail to see how anybody comes to the conclusion that Aiyuk is anything less than an amazing receiver, including being a gr8 route runner, and including the ability to win one-on-one. Whoever makes the argument Aiyuk cant beat the press must have of turned off the super bowl before San Francisco's last play.

The problem with this offense is they didn't use Aiyuk enough. Don't get me wrong, Shanahan is a great offensive mind. He tries to set things up to be easy by scheming his players open with screens and such; and using the run to antagonize linebackers before going down field. 90% of the time it works every time. But his achilles heal is exactly what Spagnola did to him in the second half of the super bowl. It's the same thing the Giants did earlier in the season where they almost gutted out a win (without Aiyuk). I think Kyle is trying so hard to be a genius that he can't see the $50 bill on the floor.

Frankly, I don't think they deserve Aiyuk.

Aiyuk trending on Twitter due to Jags rumors. As someone with a ridiculously high share %, I would be quite happy.

REPORT: The Jaguars have INTEREST in trading for Brandon Aiyuk and the interest is mutual between Jacksonville and Aiyuk’s camp. Aiyuk’s asking price might start at $25 MM per year, given Calvin Ridley just got $23 MM per season and Deebo Samuel, who Aiyuk is better than is making $24 MM in average annual value. Will the 49ers be willing to pay Aiyuk that rate?

Aiyuk trending on Twitter due to Jags rumors. As someone with a ridiculously high share %, I would be quite happy.

REPORT: The Jaguars have INTEREST in trading for Brandon Aiyuk and the interest is mutual between Jacksonville and Aiyuk’s camp. Aiyuk’s asking price might start at $25 MM per year, given Calvin Ridley just got $23 MM per season and Deebo Samuel, who Aiyuk is better than is making $24 MM in average annual value. Will the 49ers be willing to pay Aiyuk that rate?
I agree. Love Aiyuk as a player, but in a Shanahan offense he needs unreal efficiency (which he did last year) to be a high end WR2 again. Would love to see him have a chance for more opportunities and Jax would qualify.

This rumor might have some legs because Dianna Russini just threw out a juicy nugget that the 49’ers thought they had a trade worked out to send Armstead to the Texans for Nico Collins.

This rumor might have some legs because Dianna Russini just threw out a juicy nugget that the 49’ers thought they had a trade worked out to send Armstead to the Texans for Nico Collins.
No way the Texans unload Collins unless they have a backup plan. JJ?….(please)
I was just coming to say I"m super wrong here. She said Collins, I assumed Nico, wrong Collins.

No way the Texans unload Collins unless they have a backup plan. JJ?….(please)
I was just coming to say I"m super wrong here. She said Collins, I assumed Nico, wrong Collins.
Oh…well there goes my JJ dream…probably

Aiyuk isn't going anywhere unless a team offers a kings ransom. He has no leverage other than a hold out, and there's zero chance of that IMO.

SF will get a deal done, but they usually take until August or later (see Kittle, Deebo, Bosa)

Aiyuk isn't going anywhere unless a team offers a kings ransom. He has no leverage other than a hold out, and there's zero chance of that IMO.

SF will get a deal done, but they usually take until August or later (see Kittle, Deebo, Bosa)
That is fair and I hope you are right. Purdy and Aiyuk had some great chemistry and I would think the chances of them reaching the Super Bowl again rides on those two being in the field at the same time.

As a TLaw owner, I think I'd cut off a pinky finger to get Aiyuk on the Jags. Top 5WR in the NFL going by talent alone imo. If he couldn't get on the same page with a guy like Aiyuk, even I'd stop defending him.
A lot of talk in the 904 about this. Consensus seems to be that the 17th pick is too rich. But the bottom line is Aiyuk is gonna get paid, and the Jags just don't have the cap room to spend $20m+ on another wide receiver

As a TLaw owner, I think I'd cut off a pinky finger to get Aiyuk on the Jags. Top 5WR in the NFL going by talent alone imo. If he couldn't get on the same page with a guy like Aiyuk, even I'd stop defending him.
A lot of talk in the 904 about this. Consensus seems to be that the 17th pick is too rich. But the bottom line is Aiyuk is gonna get paid, and the Jags just don't have the cap room to spend $20m+ on another wide receiver
Assuming the top 3 WRs are drafted before 17th pick, I think I'd gladly trade that for Aiyuk. And being that we've seen him perform to a very high level in the NFL already, I could see him ahead of Odunze, and a debate about him vs MHJ/Nabors. I guess I get the money thing though, he certainly wouldn't come cheap. WR salaries seem like they are only going to increase from here anyhow though. Chase is going to reset the market here soon, and with the cap growing it's hard not to think the salaries will too. Look what Ridley and Jeudy just got. If they could actually land Aiyuk I think it may be worth moving things around and potentially being in cap hell for a couple years.

Wonder if Washington/Peters isn't kicking the tires...Peters knows him as well as anyone. If they could move a 2nd&3rd for him, I'd say giddy up! What a trio we would have!

I think SF will ask for even more than 17, so if that's too rich I don't see a realistic chance of a deal.

Every time I scan this board I hold my breath a little checking the team part of the thread's title. That's how good I think Aiyuk is. I think he's worth it. If I'm Jacksonville and all other things are equal? I'm sending Jones and the 17th while making the cap space for him.

I think. Unless you're positive you can get a really quality receiver at 17. Then the cost control has to factor in. I think what we're seeing here isn't a referendum on Aiyuk's talent; but rather, we're seeing how deep this draft is at WR and how teams are going to value the slotted salary and how it escalates over the years. We might be seeing that aspect of the draft. First-round picks this year have to be considered gold. That's what this tells me.

I think SF will ask for even more than 17, so if that's too rich I don't see a realistic chance of a deal.
Good points all. Zay would likely be part of the deal, because he then becomes expendable, and thereby freeing up about $8M in cash

If SF trades him.......does Jennings become a valuable asset to get/hold on to?

I would think so...they gave him a solid tender as well which you would think indicates they like him a decent amount...that being said this team is very close and I gotta believe if they did deal Aiyuk (which would really surprise me) somehow, someway another quality WR will be added to the roster...Deebo plays so hard he can get dinged up and this O without Deebo and Aiyuk would be a pretty big step backwards...will be interesting to see if San Fran goes WR with their #1 as there should be some real quality prospects there.

I think it’s a game. Aiyuk is due for a payday, and the 49ers are going to pay him. This is gonna go down like the Deebo deal went down. I’m skeptical they let him get away.

There will be 11,692 think pieces and this topic will go 800 pages for nothing before it’s all said & done.

I'm sure most people in fantasy realize Aiyuk is perhaps the most underutilized player in fantasy and dream of a spot he could get more use. Everyone but actual 49'er fans anyway.

But I'm in two slow drafts right now and was coming up to pick and considering him and where he could go that would enhance his value and it did not seem like a lot of real viable spots that look great. The two main rumored spots, Steelers and Jax, range from meh to downright sorry.

Two teams I'd put as viable spots for decent to homerun value would be the Bills and Cardinals on the caveat they trade out of 4. But those spots have issues, with Arizona would they be bothered trading him in the division? With the Bills, the ultimate home run spot IMO, it would be very hard to come up with the cap space until after June 1 when trading Diggs actually creates some cap space and I don't think the 49'ers want future picks.

If I ran the 49'ers I'd be holding onto both unless I got to good of a deal to pass up. After the 2024 season I'd extend or tag Aiyuk, if cap issues are a problem cut or trade Deebo. My guess is they are hoping to be blown away by a good offer for one of them but Deebo's got a good sized dead cap hit and won't get back the same return, which is why I think we see more Aiyuk rumors.

I think the Jags would actually be a good spot. Give Trevor someone to grow with for 3-4 years and I think they could both benefit. Steelers would be a huge value plummet. Purdy and Aiyuk had great chemistry, so there is a chance at additional production. With a soon to be 31 year old Kittle and Deebo looking like he is aging in dog years, it may lend to more Aiyuk opportunities. I think Aiyuk would be the perfect receiver to pair with Mahomes, however even if cap-possible the Niners would never send him there.

I think they will get a deal worked out. I would like Aiyuk more on other teams but it also could be worse(New England).

Getting the feeling he will be taking the Ty Law/Revis route of maxing out every dollar on this contract (with a little thank you to Calvin Ridley).

I think the Jags would actually be a good spot. Give Trevor someone to grow with for 3-4 years and I think they could both benefit. Steelers would be a huge value plummet. Purdy and Aiyuk had great chemistry, so there is a chance at additional production. With a soon to be 31 year old Kittle and Deebo looking like he is aging in dog years, it may lend to more Aiyuk opportunities. I think Aiyuk would be the perfect receiver to pair with Mahomes, however even if cap-possible the Niners would never send him there.
In what world is Deebo aging in dog years? He's been dominant 2 of the last 3 seasons. He's a top-12 NFL WR.

As for Aiyuk, I think both the Jags and Steelers would be downgrades for him. Aiyuk is a very good WR, but he's also with a play caller who is excellent at scheming guys open, and Purdy is a better QB than Lawrence.

There's nothing really stopping the 49ers from keeping all of CMC, Deebo, Aiyuk, and Kittle. Having a QB on a Mr. Irrelevant rookie contract is a huge advantage.

In what world is Deebo aging in dog years? He's been dominant 2 of the last 3 seasons. He's a top-12 NFL WR.

As for Aiyuk, I think both the Jags and Steelers would be downgrades for him. Aiyuk is a very good WR, but he's also with a play caller who is excellent at scheming guys open, and Purdy is a better QB than Lawrence.

There's nothing really stopping the 49ers from keeping all of CMC, Deebo, Aiyuk, and Kittle. Having a QB on a Mr. Irrelevant rookie contract is a huge advantage.
Dog years may have been a poor description on my part. Deebo was absolutely dominant in 2021, I have personally not seen the same player since.

Dog years may have been a poor description on my part. Deebo was absolutely dominant in 2021, I have personally not seen the same player since.
2021 obviously was a career year, where he was probably a top-5 overall offensive player in the NFL, but looked like a great player this year when healthy. I thought his only bad game all season was the Ravens game (which was a bad game for the 49ers in general) and maybe the Super Bowl, though I thought that was more a bad Shanahan game than Deebo game.

I like Aiyuk a lot, but I will agree that there are weeks where he's RIGHTFULLY the #4 option on the offense. Frankly, if anyone on this offense is underutilized its probably Kittle.

and Purdy is a better QB than Lawrence.
This is the only part of your post I am skeptical of.

And I’m a 49ers fan.

I love Purdy, but IMO Lawrence has better upside. Put TLaw on the 49ers and the sky’s the limit.
I know I'm probably in the minority, but I haven't been particularly impressed by Lawrence as a pro. Like, if I'm the Jags, I'm not even offering an extension this offseason, because I don't know if he's the guy going forward. I think Purdy is a better decision maker, who throws more accurate passes, and makes better reads. I'll agree Lawrence has a bigger arm, but that's the least important part.

2021 obviously was a career year, where he was probably a top-5 overall offensive player in the NFL, but looked like a great player this year when healthy. I thought his only bad game all season was the Ravens game (which was a bad game for the 49ers in general) and maybe the Super Bowl, though I thought that was more a bad Shanahan game than Deebo game.

I like Aiyuk a lot, but I will agree that there are weeks where he's RIGHTFULLY the #4 option on the offense. Frankly, if anyone on this offense is underutilized its probably Kittle.

And I’m a 49ers fan.

I love Purdy, but IMO Lawrence has better upside. Put TLaw on the 49ers and the sky’s the limit.
I know I'm probably in the minority, but I haven't been particularly impressed by Lawrence as a pro. Like, if I'm the Jags, I'm not even offering an extension this offseason, because I don't know if he's the guy going forward. I think Purdy is a better decision maker, who throws more accurate passes, and makes better reads. I'll agree Lawrence has a bigger arm, but that's the least important part.
Purdy is also in a significantly better situation with more talent around him from the jump.

Lawrence is 24. He’s had 3 seasons. I think it’s a bit premature to make these sweeping judgements of him. He has all the tools to be a great QB.

Maybe let this one simmer a little. The idea of not offering him an extension seems crazy to me.

And I’m a 49ers fan.

Purdy is also in a significantly better situation with more talent around him from the jump.

Lawrence is 24. He’s had 3 seasons. I think it’s a bit premature to make these sweeping judgements of him. He has all the tools to be a great QB.

Maybe let this one simmer a little. The idea of not offering him an extension seems crazy to me.
Honestly, adjusted for situation, I'm not sure Lawrence has been any better than Fields through 3 years. Especially as Lawrence has played in a FAR easier division, with a much better supporting cast.

I'm just saying, I don't think Lawrence has played well. I think he's riding the Urban Meyer pass a lot longer than he deserves, and his 1st 3 years sure like a lot like Marcus Mariota or someone of that ilk. I also think he's had plenty of talent around him, sure not as much as Purdy, but Ridley/Kirk/Engram/Etienne, is better than what most QBs have had. Its not like he's been Daniel Jones (another guy with similar rate stats to Lawrence) and had to make due with Darius Slayton as his #1 WR.

My overall point, being that this is the Aiyuk thread, is that I think Aiyuk going to the Jags would be a downgrade for Aiyuk. Buffalo would be interesting, but I can't see them making it work if they then have to extend him, unless it were a super backloaded deal.

And I’m a 49ers fan.

Honestly, adjusted for situation, I'm not sure Lawrence has been any better than Fields through 3 years. Especially as Lawrence has played in a FAR easier division, with a much better supporting cast.

I'm just saying, I don't think Lawrence has played well. I think he's riding the Urban Meyer pass a lot longer than he deserves, and his 1st 3 years sure like a lot like Marcus Mariota or someone of that ilk. I also think he's had plenty of talent around him, sure not as much as Purdy, but Ridley/Kirk/Engram/Etienne, is better than what most QBs have had. Its not like he's been Daniel Jones (another guy with similar rate stats to Lawrence) and had to make due with Darius Slayton as his #1 WR.

My overall point, being that this is the Aiyuk thread, is that I think Aiyuk going to the Jags would be a downgrade for Aiyuk. Buffalo would be interesting, but I can't see them making it work if they then have to extend him, unless it were a super backloaded deal.
We can agree to disagree. About pretty much everything here.

Ayiuk to the Jags would be more involved, and more targeted in a more balanced offense (SF is a touch run heavy, btw).

It would be a significant FF upgrade, IMO. In SF Aiyuk is the 3rd option behind CMC & Deebo. At times he’s completely ignored (see: Super Bowl).

Lawrence came into the league on an absolutely terrible Jags team and hasn’t had an OL anything remotely as competent as SF’s at protecting against the pass. Saying he’s no better than Mariota seems ridiculous to me.

FYI, he didn’t have Engram his 1st year, and he didn’t have Ridley his 1st or 2nd year. So that’s kind of a weird way to list the talent allegedly around him since they weren’t actually around him save for 1 season.

But again, agree to disagree.

IMO Aiyuk would likely be upgraded on any team he goes to where he’d see more targets and would be less likely to be shanahan’d out of a game plan. He’s been hyper efficient in SF. Some of that could see regression - hard to have ~1400 yards on the targets he’s seen & replicating that seems unlikely.

If he went to BUF or JAX, or any team where he’d become the #1 option in the passing game, id consider it an improvement from a FF perspective.
Of course in BUF he’d be behind Diggs, but that’s unlikely to be long term.

But it’s probably all moot since I believe he’ll stay in SF.

SF and Aiyuk "not close" in contract talks, but there's no need to panic.

The gap between the two sides is expected. The 49ers typically finalize these types of significant extensions closer to training camp. Last year, defensive end Nick Bosa's deal wasn't completed until just days before the start of the regular season.

Basically, it's a little bit of a standoff right now. Now look, this is not where the Deebo Samuel thing was [two years ago]. And as bad as that got with Samuel basically requesting a trade, they were still able to salvage that.

"But he does love the 49ers, from my understanding, and he knows this is a team that is taking care of their guys when it's their turn, and there's no reason he feels like he shouldn't be next," Garafolo continued. "He believes he's one of the top wide receivers in the league, so he expects to be paid in that realm. And the 49ers are not quite there at this point. So I think we've got some time before this one gets settled either way.

And I’m a 49ers fan.

Your lips to Kahn's and Baalke's ears. While I will agree with you I haven't been super impressed with him so far compared to what I was hoping for when he was drafted, I think his ceiling is still a top 5-6 QB in the league. I think the Jags have steadily become the 2nd most dysfunctional franchise in the league behind the Panthers. Many of their moves seem non-sensical. It's even more frustrating they actually have some play makers on the roster. I can only pray as a TLaw owner they continue making terrible decisions and let Lawrence test the waters on the open market and let him go to another team. I just think there's less than a 5% chance that happens. He's one of the few reasons they still are able to sell tickets to their games. And half the time it still looks like an away game at home looking in the stands.

Users who are viewing this thread