What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Brandon Aiyuk, SF (1 Viewer)

Brandon Aiyuk has elite metrics, gets the most separation of any WR in the NFL, very efficient. But still gets very little in terms of targets. 3 targets today, for 3/55/1. His 55 targets on the season ties him for 48th in the league with Kendrick Bourne (whose season ended two weeks ago). There are TWO Ravens with more targets than Aiyuk (Zay Flowers and Mark Andrews) and that team hates to pass almost as much as the 49ers do.

He’s my team’s WR2 and I’m not sure what to do ROS. Tank Dell would be my other option. Tank has 25 targets in his last two games, Aiyuk has 28 targets in his last FOUR games. Tank also has as many TD’s his last two games as Aiyuk has in eight games (3). I’m just worried game script will render Aiyuk nearly useless for the second half of most games given how the 49ers can dominate and control the clock. Imagine how studly his numbers would be if he had true WR1 target volume. Currently 11th in receiving yards per game despite so few receptions. His targets, receptions, yards, and TDs are similar to Nico Collins this season. Ugh and then there’s Noah Brown.

I also have Aiyuk and Tank. Tank is my #3 WR but that could change.

That said, the gamescript was terrible. They got up so big early. After that it was CMC or bust.

The Bucs continue to be a pass funnel. The long TD was busted coverage, but I do love Aiyuk’s talent.
I'm not seeing busted coverage here, Dean was running with him and Purdy dropped it in a bucket out of Dean's reach.

I watched it live - it sure looked like Dean suffered an injury and fell down to me.

Wasn’t that him rolling on the ground in agony as Aiyuk ran away?

The Bucs continue to be a pass funnel. The long TD was busted coverage, but I do love Aiyuk’s talent.
I'm not seeing busted coverage here, Dean was running with him and Purdy dropped it in a bucket out of Dean's reach.

I watched it live - it sure looked like Dean suffered an injury and fell down to me.

Yeah he was injured on the play. He was step for step with BA until he tried to jump to break up the pass.

Ball in air, sticky coverage

Step for step

Bad decision

Yeah he was injured on the play. He was step for step with BA until he tried to jump to break up the pass.

Ball in air, sticky coverage

Step for step

Bad decision
It w as a great throw - I’m not taking away from Purdy at all.

Three straight weeks with a TD is saving his fantasy stats. He has to be near the top of the league in points per target.

Frustrating not seeing him get his chance to ball out in his prime, hopefully he gets a ring and a nice contract next year (wearing a different shade of red since the Niners tied themselves to Deebo)

Three straight weeks with a TD is saving his fantasy stats. He has to be near the top of the league in points per target.

Frustrating not seeing him get his chance to ball out in his prime, hopefully he gets a ring and a nice contract next year (wearing a different shade of red since the Niners tied themselves to Deebo)
Aiyuk isn't going anywhere. Bet.

Man, what a crappy night to start him..
I'm not disappointed
Low standards?? The TD was nice, but was expecting more then 2 catches.
He got me 12 points. I need an average of 13-14 points from each of my starters to have a +50% chance of winning. So I'm not disappointed.

Maybe your expectations were off.
He got me 13, but I am going against Hill, Dell, and Allen in a must win, so I really needed more. Oh well

He also screwed up a 3 leg yards parlay, when he didn't get over 65.5 yards.

I'm not disappointed
He got me 12 points. I need an average of 13-14 points from each of my starters to have a +50% chance of winning. So I'm not disappointed.

He got me 13, but I am going against Hill, Dell, and Allen in a must win, so I really needed more. Oh well

I bet he’ll never forgive himself.

I'm not disappointed

I bet he’ll never forgive himself.
Good post

This guy in a proper offense is a stud 1 and probably a top 3 wr in this league. 49ers spread it around too much and rely on the run for him to really showcase his skills

This guy in a proper offense is a stud 1 and probably a top 3 wr in this league. 49ers spread it around too much and rely on the run for him to really showcase his skills
I get what you are saying and agree, but I am sure nobody expected last night to be his season low in receptions and second season low in targets at 4. I mean the guy is still a great WR, they just didn't target him last night. The run was working well.

Oh well it happens.

I get what you are saying and agree, but I am sure nobody expected last night to be his season low in receptions and second season low in targets at 4. I mean the guy is still a great WR, they just didn't target him last night. The run was working well.

Oh well it happens.

Exactly what i was getting at. His stats don't seem awesome at the end of the year because if you are on the 49ers you are going to get gameplanned out a bunch every season. Put him on a team that forces him 10 targets a game and he is a stud

The offense is perfectly fine for him. Even with all the weapons he battling for touches, he's got a QB who loves throwing downfield and is extremely accurate doing so. If it weren't for Tyreke Hill's video game numbers, Aiyuk is having a historic season in terms of yards receiving per route run. Aiyuk could be on a team with fewer mouths to feed but then struggle with a dink and dunk QB and/or weak supporting cast prompting bracketed zone coverage on him all day.

There's a more important predictor out there for Aiyuk: opposing defense preferred coverage. Aiyuk is absolutely lighting it up in games where the defense's preferred coverage is man. In games where the Niners play a team that is heavily zone, it's Deebo/others that tend to feast. Of course Aiyuk on the whole is too good to bench when a team like Seattle is playing heavy zone so you're thrilled when comes away with a TD.

Looking ahead to Week 13, Aiyuk seems to feast against man coverage, but I believe the Eagles play primarily zone coverage. But the Eagles defense also allows the most fantasy points to WRs so far this season.

Aiyuk seems to be really high on most dynasty rankings for WR. He has had a great season bolstered by some big games (especially when Deebo was out). His last three games have been low volume (3, 6, & 4 targets). Does the SP think he can be consistent down the stretch and keep his top 15-ish level with this low volume? Does he need volume or is his big play ability and system keep him relevant anyway?

Aiyuk isn't going anywhere. Bet.
There will be some tough decisions coming up for SF and Ayiuk's final option year.

Ayiuk will be going into his 5th year option and his Salary/Cap hit will be $14M in 2024. 2025 UFA.

Kittle's contract: 2024 Cap hit is $22M, and 2025 is $20M

Deebo's contract: 2024 Cap hit is $28.5M and 2025 is $24M

CMC's contract: 2024 Cap hit is $14M and 2025 Cap his is $14M

Big time cash tied up in 4 players assuming Ayiuk is back. $78M in 2024 for these 4 players.

David J. Gautieri
Brandon Aiyuk is 25 years old & coming off a season in which he:

⁃ Put up 75/1342/7

⁃ Ranked 2nd in PFF Receiving Grade (91.9) behind only Tyreek Hill

⁃ Was 1 of 3 WR’s to average 3.00+ YPRR

⁃ Finished as a WR1 (16.2 PPG WK1-17)

Some of you are so focused on finding “the next big thing” you’d give up a proven stud in his prime who you already have.

David J. Gautieri
Brandon Aiyuk is 25 years old & coming off a season in which he:

⁃ Put up 75/1342/7

⁃ Ranked 2nd in PFF Receiving Grade (91.9) behind only Tyreek Hill

⁃ Was 1 of 3 WR’s to average 3.00+ YPRR

⁃ Finished as a WR1 (16.2 PPG WK1-17)

Some of you are so focused on finding “the next big thing” you’d give up a proven stud in his prime who you already have.
It was an interesting framing to that last comment. He was asking who people would rather have Aiyuk or Malik Nabers.

As an Aiyuk owner, I see him as a higher end #2 WR. Probably dynasty ranking around #12-14 WR range. He had to be my defacto #1 this year and I finished in last place.

That said I would absolutely trade him for Nabers in a rebuild situation.

Brandon Aiyuk said he hopes to remain with the 49ers “if it’s the right move.”

This comes less than 24 hours after one of Aiyuk’s friends posted to Instagram saying, “This is the exact reason why we leaving San Francisco. Thank you 49ers for drafting my brother we are forever grateful.” This was undoubtedly somebody venting after Aiyuk managed just three catches in the Super Bowl loss to the Chiefs, but speculation about Aiyuk wanting out certainly turned some heads. Aiyuk is under contract through 2024 and is due more than $14 million. If he is moved this offseason, teams will have a give up a decent haul to lure one of the most productive receivers in the league from San Fran.

I wonder if they can afford Deebo and Aiyuk. I'd go Aiyuk if I had the choice.
Deebo's game is like a cheat in video games and all but in big games, I don't think he shines. I think Shanahan is a little skittish to call the runs and he stops bodying CBs the way young AJB would. Ya gotta use what God gave ya and that's some big arms n tough style.
Aiyuk seems to have battled his way to figure out how to get it done even against top corners so I'd take him. That's the pinnacle many young WRs can't reach.

Titans would absolutely add Aiyuk if he's a free agent as their GM was famously on a soap box to draft him.

Also fwiw, last year he did not try and add Jennings.

The better the 49ers get, the more staff will leave and want some of their players. I think there's a big interest in Aiyuk and they better think this through.

Brandon Aiyuk said he hopes to remain with the 49ers “if it’s the right move.”

This comes less than 24 hours after one of Aiyuk’s friends posted to Instagram saying, “This is the exact reason why we leaving San Francisco. Thank you 49ers for drafting my brother we are forever grateful.” This was undoubtedly somebody venting after Aiyuk managed just three catches in the Super Bowl loss to the Chiefs, but speculation about Aiyuk wanting out certainly turned some heads. Aiyuk is under contract through 2024 and is due more than $14 million. If he is moved this offseason, teams will have a give up a decent haul to lure one of the most productive receivers in the league from San Fran.
Sounds like he is saying all the right things. I'm sure the next canned line will be something along with "Gotta take care of my family, my true team"

I got the Niners 35/65 re-signing him. You just can't afford to have every single highest paid player at every single position. Even if you are only paying your QB with popcorn and skittles.

Deebo's game is like a cheat in video games and all but in big games, I don't think he shines. I think Shanahan is a little skittish to call the runs and he stops bodying CBs the way young AJB would. Ya gotta use what God gave ya and that's some big arms n tough style.
Aiyuk seems to have battled his way to figure out how to get it done even against top corners so I'd take him. That's the pinnacle many young WRs can't reach.

Titans would absolutely add Aiyuk if he's a free agent as their GM was famously on a soap box to draft him.

The better the 49ers get, the more staff will leave and want some of their players. I think there's a big interest in Aiyuk and they better think this through.

Looking at the 49ers cap situation, they look like they might be able to squeeze out 2 more years with this core of players before they potentially have to break the bank on Purdy. For this season I'd guess:

Their restructure candidates include: Trent Williams, Deebo Samuel, Fred Warner, George Kittle

Their cut candidates include: Arik Armstead, Charvarius Ward, Dre Greenlaw

Their extension candidates include: Brandon Aiyuk, Talanoa Hufanga

Reactions: Bri
Aiyuk the last two years has graded out extremely well in about all metrics including success vs zone and man. Going for over 1300 yards on 105 targets is incredible. I can't off the top think of anyone in my head who had that much yards per targets in last few years. I did a brief search going back 5 years and can't find any WR with that kind of production on so few targets. He had more yards per target then guys like Davante, Diggs, Chase, Allen, Wilson and Pittman did per actual catch, and beating some of them by like 2 yards per target vs per catch!

Heading into this season I thought the two players who were most under utilized were Aiyuk and Goedert, two players who would be viewed differently with more volume and now Aiyuk stands clearly alone.

I also thought heading into the season that after this year was over they'd have to make a decision on Deebo or Aiyuk and it would be Deebo being shown the door due to age. Now I'm not thinking that way. In part because Deebo seems so critical and also because with Purdy on his rookie year I think they can find a way to squeeze another year out of the duo and then it's probably time.

I'm not going to extrapolate his stats as I'm sure increased usage would drain some of the efficiency but I would make a case that he has one of if not the most growth potential of any higher end WR in fantasy. Just don't know how he's going to get it in this offense with everyone back and as great as Kyle might be as an OC I'd be a lot more excited about him if either he got traded or Deebo did.

They can afford both next year. As I understand it they have some flexibility in terms of either restructuring or moving out from under Deebo's deal after next year. I doubt the Niners are going to dedicate premium cap space to both of them after that point, and if they had to choose, I think they'd pick Aiyuk long term.

They can afford both next year. As I understand it they have some flexibility in terms of either restructuring or moving out from under Deebo's deal after next year. I doubt the Niners are going to dedicate premium cap space to both of them after that point, and if they had to choose, I think they'd pick Aiyuk long term.

In my mind this is the year to trade one of them...realizing the 49ers have pretty much 1 more year of window I would flip one of them and start strengthening that bench. If they can pick up another wr at a rookie deal it makes life so much easier

If they go to the end of next year they are just going to straight up lose one of them

Reactions: Bri

In my mind this is the year to trade one of them...realizing the 49ers have pretty much 1 more year of window I would flip one of them and start strengthening that bench. If they can pick up another wr at a rookie deal it makes life so much easier

If they go to the end of next year they are just going to straight up lose one of them
Jennings is also a free agent (they can make him restricted but will have to tender him at a relatively high salary to do so), so if they traded Deebo/Aiyuk, they need a plan to replace them with another very good receiver or 2. They can't afford to recreate the Buckner transactional sequence.

@32BeatWriters
"I want to stress that this is speculative: I do not know whether Aiyuk will want out if his contract is not extended. But I do know it's not going to be easy for the Niners to extend him and that other wide receivers in similar situations in recent years -- such as Davante Adams, Tyreek Hill and A.J. Brown -- have asked to be traded and gotten their wish."

"Aiyuk would surely be missed, but with all of the massive cap numbers the Niners are projecting for their veterans in 2024 and in future years, at some point they're going to need to move on from some of their stars. If they can get a first-rounder back in an Aiyuk trade and use it to replace him at wide receiver, that might actually be the best way to go."

Akash:

I’ll try to map this out when the 2024 Salary Cap is finalized..

But the #49ers should be able to fit Brandon Aiyuk (along with the rest of the core), with making a few restructures, pay cuts.

That would make 2025 more complicated, but would give them the best chance to win.

---

An easy way for the 49ers to create Salary Cap space in 2024 is by extending Brandon Aiyuk.

Aiyuk's 5th-year option cap hit is $14.1M (which is fully guaranteed and can't be restructured).

By extending him, they can lower his 2024 cap hit and create more cap space.

----

Yards per Route Run, WRs, 2023:
1. Tyreek Hill, 3.72
2. Nico Collins, 3.10
3. Brandon Aiyuk, 3.01 (!!)

Run-Blocking Grade, WRs, 2023:
1. Brandon Aiyuk, 80.2
2. Puka Nacua, 76.1

Efficient receiver + elite run-blocker? Those are guys you try your best to keep on your team...

Users who are viewing this thread