What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Amari Cooper, CLE (1 Viewer)

Rotoworld:

Alabama junior WR Amari Cooper was named as one of ten semifinalists for the Biletnikoff Award.

The Biletnikoff is given annually to the best wide receiver in the country. Cooper's competition includes the likes of West Virginia's Kevin White and Arizona State's Jaelen Strong. Cooper has to be considered the favorite at this point. Cooper has 83 catches for 1,303 yards and 11 touchdowns thus far. Not only does he lead the nation in receiving yards, he's been seen on the national stage more than any other semifinalist.

Source: NBC Sports
Nov 17 - 7:42 PM

Rotoworld:

Alabama junior WR Amari Cooper left Saturday's game against Western Carolina with a knee injury.
Cooper had caught three passes for 46 yards before he exited with a knee injury prior to the close of the first half. Alabama head coach Nick Saban indicated that Cooper could have come back into the game. Given that the halftime score was 38-14 against a vastly inferior team, the team could afford to let him sit with the injury. We'll update his status when more information becomes available.

Source: Touchdown Alabama on Twitter
Nov 22 - 6:06 PM

Rotoworld:

Alabama junior WR Amari Cooper "is the real deal in every way and a difference maker at a skill position,"accroding to TFY Draft Insider Tony Pauline.
"I like Winston’s game and love his upside but fear his multiple off the field transgressions and the opportunities which await him in NYC. Plus I doubt owner Woody Johnson would consider Winston. Percy Harvin is the only player maker the Jets have but you must wonder how long he’ll be with the club or if he’ll implode. Cooper is the real deal in every way and a difference maker at a skill position which, amongst other things, the Jets desperately need," Pauline wrote. The 6-foot-1, 198-pound Cooper has 83 catches for 1,303 yards and 11 touchdowns thus far. Not only does he lead the nation in receiving yards, he's been seen on the national stage more than any other semifinalist.

Source: TFY Draft Insider
Nov 21 - 4:13 PM

I'd personally take four wrs from this class over Cooper. When Kiper says "he's not a burner or an impossible matchup", that says a lot. Watkins, Evans, Beckham and Benjamin are those things.

Then there's the three games he didn't go over 100 yds. Ole Miss has a good secondary but LSU's secondary was shredded by Miss St and Auburn. Pat Peterson ain't walkin through that door. I don't believe Arkansas has a legitimate NFL prospect in their secondary. And keep in mind every defense's primary objective when playing Bama is to stop the run. Basically what this means is Cooper hasn't taken over in a big game.

Lastly, there's the Bama Bump. Alabama players are always overvalued. And I'm not just talking about for fantasy football purposes. Think about all the Bama players drafted recently. How many met the expectations relative to their draft position? There are many more misses than hits.
Julio was the last Alabama WR drafted in the top 3 rounds.
I wasn't strictly speaking of wrs. Since 2012 Alabama first rounders are Trent Richardson, Mark Barron, Dre Kirkpatrick, Donta Hightower, DJ Fluker, Chance Warmack, Dee Milliner, CJ Mosley and Haha Clinton-Dix. There are no difference makers listed here. But if you listen to draftniks they will tell you the Tide has future pro bowlers all up and down the roster. I remember when Wade Philips was hired as the Texan's dc. He said Kareem Jackson had the worst fundamentals he'd ever seen. This is a first rounder personally coached by Nick Saban. If you think every player will succeed/fail based on their own merits I agree. They do. I'm saying Alabama players get pushed up the draft board not based on their merits. In my opinion this is a trend.

I'm saying Alabama players get pushed up the draft board not based on their merits. In my opinion this is a trend.
Do you realize how ridiculous this sounds? Alabama has a lot of guys drafted and drafted highly because they have a lot of very good players who are worthy of being drafted. The NFL doesn't care they go to Alabama or that Saban is their coach.

Rotoworld:

Auburn head coach Gus Malzahn notes that Alabama junior WR Amari Cooper "is one of the better playmakers in all of college football, if not the best playmaker."
The 6-foot-1, 198-pound Cooper has 90 catches for 1,349 yards and 11 touchdowns thus far. Not only does he lead the nation in receiving yards, he's been seen on the national stage more than any other Biletnikoff award semifinalist. The Crimson Tide prospect thrives on creating separation on the ground with quickness, agility and burst in his cuts. Cooper has had some issues with drops, but he remains one of the top receiving prospects in the country.

Source: John Zenor on Twitter
Nov 25 - 3:23 PM

Rotoworld:

Alabama junior WR Amari Cooper caught 13 passes for 224 yards and three touchdowns in the school's 55-44 win over Auburn.
Cooper was able to take advantage of isolated coverage, creating separation with quickness in his breaks and body control. The receiver has done a much better job winning at the catch point this season compared to 2013. Yes, we know Cooper was injured last season, but you must evaluate what is put on the field and that is why evaluations are fluid. Cooper can dominate the small game, in terms of create space and separation.

Nov 30 - 12:09 PM

Rotoworld:

Amari Cooper - WR - Crimson Tide

Alabama junior WR Amari Cooper caught 12 passes for 83 yards in Saturday's win over Missouri in the SEC Championship.

Cooper caught 10 balls in the first half alone. While he was limited to just two catches after halftime, he did have several key receptions to help bleed the clock in the fourth quarter. Cooper didn't bust anything deep (long catch of only 17 yards), but was incredibly effective in moving the chains and working for short-to-medium gains. This was the kind of workman-like game that scouts want to see out of Cooper, as it shows his ability to make an impact even when he's not making the shiny, highlight-friendly plays. For the regular season, Cooper finished with 103 receptions for 1,573 receiving yards and 14 touchdowns. He is widely considered to be the best wideout prospect in the country and could possibly be drafted in the Top-10 come the spring.

Dec 6 - 7:52 PM

Rotoworld:

Alabama junior WR Amari Cooper caught 12 passes for 83 yards in Saturday's win over Missouri in the SEC Championship.

Cooper caught 10 balls in the first half alone. While he was limited to just two catches after halftime, he did have several key receptions to help bleed the clock in the fourth quarter. Cooper didn't bust anything deep (long catch of only 17 yards), but was incredibly effective in moving the chains and working for short-to-medium gains. This was the kind of workman-like game that scouts want to see out of Cooper, as it shows his ability to make an impact even when he's not making the shiny, highlight-friendly plays. For the regular season, Cooper finished with 103 receptions for 1,573 receiving yards and 14 touchdowns. He is widely considered to be the best wideout prospect in the country and could possibly be drafted in the Top-10 come the spring.

Dec 6 - 7:52 PM
Umm.... :doh:

Rotoworld:

An NFL scout speaking with the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel said WR and OT were the two best positions in this draft class, and the paper reported Alabama junior WR Amari Cooper was unanimously chosen by scouts as the top wideout.

"He's a top-10 player," said one scout. "Excellent hands. Very explosive and fast. One of the better route runners to come out in a long, long time. Very skilled. Had big-time production. Only thing that's starting to creep up on him is a few injuries." Cooper heads into the inaugural College Football Playoff -- and two potential remaining games -- with 103 receptions for 1,573 receiving yards and 14 touchdowns. He's a Heisman Trophy finalist.

Source: Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel

Dec 9 - 9:15 PM

Rotoworld:

Alabama junior WR Amari Cooper was named the SEC's Offensive Player of the Year by the league's coaches.
The Heisman Trophy finalist has had a monster year, with 103 receptions for 1,573 receiving yards and 14 touchdowns. Cooper is considered the best wideout in the country and a potential top-10 pick in the 2015 draft.

Source: SEC Sports on Twitter
Dec 10 - 3:39 PM

Rotoworld:

ESPN's Todd McShay believes Alabama junior WR Amari Cooper is a darkhorse candidate to go No. 1 overall.

"It is very rare for wide receivers to go No. 1 overall (the last one was Keyshawn Johnson in 1996), but the NFL is a passing league now, and Cooper is without question one of the biggest difference-makers in the 2015 class," McShay wrote. "If a team that is already set at the QB position winds up with the No. 1 pick, Cooper could be in the mix." Cooper, a Heisman finalist, heads into the inaugural College Football Playoff with 103 receptions for 1,573 receiving yards and 14 touchdowns. Though a long shot to go No. 1, Cooper is a good bet to go in the top 10.

Source: ESPN Insider

Dec 10 - 9:14 PM

Rotoworld:

CBS Sports' Rob Rang notes that scouts are excited about Alabama junior WR Amari Cooper's "great agility and first-step acceleration."

"It isn't just the production in Lane Kiffin's pro-style scheme, however, that has scouts excited. Cooper possesses great agility and first-step acceleration, which make him a nightmare to cover," Rang writes. The Crimson Tide prospect has had a monster year, with 103 receptions for 1,573 receiving yards and 14 touchdowns. Rang notes that Cooper "projects as a potential immediate impact performer in the NFL." The 6-foot-1, 198-pound Cooper is considered to be a potential top-10 pick in the 2015 draft.

Dec 12 - 3:10 PM

Rotoworld:

NFL Media reporter Albert Breer reports that one AFC scout says that Alabama junior WR Amari Cooper isn't "elite."

"Well ... "He's an easy route runner," one AFC area scout told Albert Breer. "Not a lot of wasted movement, solid hands, good speed. But I wouldn't say he's elite. He does a lot of things really well." The Heisman hopeful has 103 receptions for 1,573 receiving yards and 14 touchdowns in 2014. The Scout mentioned that Cooper "just doesn't do anything with a 'Wow' factor like (Sammy) Watkins, (Mike) Evans or (Odell) Beckham last year." With that being said, Cooper is still considered to be the best wideout in the country, and a potential top-10 pick in the 2015 draft.

Source: NFL.com

Dec 12 - 2:40 PM

Rotoworld:

NFL scouts told NFL.com that Alabama junior WR Amari Cooper would have been ranked behind Sammy Watkins, Mike Evans and Odell Beckham Jr. had he been in the 2014 draft.

Watkins, Evans, and Beckham Jr. all went in the top 12 of last year's draft. While this is an interesting report, it's ultimately a meaningless apples to oranges comparison. Cooper is considered by many to be the best receiver in the 2015 class, and he'll likely be a top 10 pick. "Cooper is certainly an intriguing prospect capable of being a Day 1 starter in the NFL, but he is not a talent capable of revolutionizing the position when he enters the league," reported NFL.com. "The scouts' opinions here appear in line with those NFL Media reporter Albert Breer spoke with recently, saying Cooper lacks a 'wow' factor."

Source: NFL.com
Dec 18 - 10:38 AM

I'm saying Alabama players get pushed up the draft board not based on their merits. In my opinion this is a trend.
Do you realize how ridiculous this sounds? Alabama has a lot of guys drafted and drafted highly because they have a lot of very good players who are worthy of being drafted. The NFL doesn't care they go to Alabama or that Saban is their coach.
If you want to spend a top 3 pick on a wr that has been described as "not a burner" and "not a matchup nightmare" then go ahead. There's dead money at every poker table. But it's like ole Freddy Nietzsche said, "If you want to make the crowd yell hallelujah you must first ride into town on an ###".

Just getting started on my rookie scouting (way behind compared to most of you) and thought I would start with Mr. Cooper. I'm going off of the 3 draftbreakdown videos. Haven't looked at stats, measurements or others opinions yet. These are just opening thoughts and will get adjusted.

Pro's

- good run after catch ability

- more of a powerful runner than an elusive runner

- very good at the over the shoulder and back shoulder fade routes

- good (not great) speed

- good full speed/deep route moves

- solid curl routes

- does well at using moves to get zone defenders to sit down then he nicely slips into soft spot

- can and does work well out of the slot

- has shown the ability to get long and expand his catch radius

- very good at slowing down to protect his catch area

Con's

- rarely extends his arms when making catches

- catches ball too close his body (not quite body catches though)

- does not always use proper hand positioning when catching

- doesn't block with proper body position

- will give up on blocks

- blocks with shoulder too much

- will give up on routes

- doesn't high point that well; lacks extension, jump timing and in air fight

- will make poor choices when play breaks down (runs into coverage, sometimes)

- use of extra moves can throw off timing with QB

- benefits from strong run game and single coverage

- isn't elite in high traffic catches

- needs to disguise his push offs better

His best seems to be as #2 or as part of a tandem. I don't believe he is the pure beast that Julio is nor do I think he has the intensity that Boldin has. I can't think of a good current NFLer to compare him too. He is smart and can shred a zone defense but he needs to work on his catching technique. He still plays like a guy that is physically just too much for his opponents. As stated I don't believe that he is the athletic talent that Dez, Julio, Marshal are but he is more savy in his route running.

Do you realize how ridiculous this sounds?Alabama has a lot of guys drafted and drafted highly because they have a lot of very good players who are worthy of being drafted. The NFL doesn't care they go to Alabama or that Saban is their coach.
If you want to spend a top 3 pick on a wr that has been described as "not a burner" and "not a matchup nightmare" then go ahead. There's dead money at every poker table. But it's like ole Freddy Nietzsche said, "If you want to make the crowd yell hallelujah you must first ride into town on an ###".
Odell Beckham carried the same labels.

I agree with you 100% Faust. This guy is going to be a certifiable stud. If I can land him or Gurley in my Dynasty I will be very happy.

Reminds me a lot of Michael Irvin when he was getting started. Will have to improve a lot of the same areas Mike did. Mike, of course, was able to turn those things into some of his greatest strengths. It'll all depend on Coop's mindset.

I just don't see "stud" when I watch him play. Sure he looks good and all but can he actually improve? I have my doubts that he can. Doesn't fully pop off the screen and make you scratch your head as to how he did that like past top wr options. Above average yes, the sure fire stud though? I doubt it.

People are overthinking on Cooper. He was NFL-ready after his Freshman season. Go back and watch what he did that season.

Also, keep in mind that he's only 20 years old. He's nearly 2 years younger than Kevin White. He'll already be in his second NFL season at the same age as most Seniors in college. He can absolutely improve.

After this year's crop of rookie WRs, he will go in the top few picks in this draft. Before the draft, there's always re-analyzing last year and...it'll happen

Rotoworld:

Alabama junior WR Amari Cooper caught nine passes for 71 yards and two touchdowns in the school's 42-35 loss to Ohio State.

This might be quiet for Cooper's standings, but he still found the endzone twice. Cooper was held in check early and Alabama wasn't able to get him the ball often enough in yards after catch situations. This was almost certainly Cooper's final collegiate game. He will compete with Kevin White and possibly a few others to tbe the first receiver off the board this Spring.

Jan 2 - 11:36 AM

Rotoworld:

CBS Sports' Rob Rang believes Alabama junior WR Amari Cooper's "lack of elite size and occasional dropped pass keeps him out of the elite category."

"Cooper possesses great agility and first-step acceleration to generate big plays. His lack of elite size and occasional dropped pass keeps him out of the elite category," Rang wrote. The Biletnikoff Award winner, had an outstanding season with 124 receptions for 1,727 yards and 16 touchdowns, adding two scores against Ohio State in the Sugar Bowl loss. Cooper will compete with Kevin White and possibly a few others to be the first receiver off the board this Spring.

Source: CBS Sports

Jan 7 - 3:04 PM

Rotoworld:

CBS Sports' Dane Brugler believes Alabama junior WR Amari Cooper "is very well-rounded with more than enough athleticism to create separation before, during and after the catch."

The Biletnikoff Award winner, who declared for the draft this week, posted 124 receptions for 1,727 yards and 16 touchdowns this season. "He is a detailed route runner with an understanding of how to set up defenders, clearly paying attention to the subtleties of the position," Brugler wrote. "Cooper is a humble, hard worker and might be the 'safest' prospect in this class when projecting him to the next level. He will be able to help a NFL team immediately as a rookie." The 6-foot-1, 198-pound Cooper is considered to be a potential top-10 pick in the 2015 draft.

Jan 8 - 10:32 PM

Rotoworld:

Alabama junior WR Amari Cooper improved his draft stock in the Sugar Bowl, CBS Sports' Rob Rang believes.

Cooper caught nine passes for 71 yards and two touchdowns in a 42-35 loss to Ohio State, a team with a strong pass defense. "It isn't just the production in Lane Kiffin's pro-style scheme that has scouts excited," Rang wrote. "Cooper possesses great agility and first-step acceleration to generate big plays. His lack of elite size and occasional dropped pass keeps him out of the elite category." The 6-foot-1, 198-pound Cooper finished with 124 receptions for 1,727 yards and 16 touchdowns this season. Rang ranks him as the No. 8 prospect in the class.

Jan 8 - 8:30 PM

Users who are viewing this thread