What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Woman gets fellowship to travel the world and stand in the water. (1 Viewer)

Performance art is a thing, see Andy Kauffman. Using it in the name of environmental awareness is no different than Banksy calling out The Man with graffitti or installation artists covering highways with balloons. Not a deal.

So, to prepare, she is doing yoga, watching what she eats, and taking pains to make sure she'll be free on the day before the performance.

"I'm obsessed with telling everyone that the 13th is a rest day," she says. " I'm 99 percent sure something's going to happen that I'm going to have to deal with, but I'm really trying to hold it as a rest day."
Lol, what kind of drama does this lady have going on in her life that she can't reasonably expect to take it easy the day before her performance?

And multiple grants

How does this even exist?
It's art for wealthy people who don't know what to do with all the money that they inherited. The climate change money could be spent in better ways but it is theirs to do with as they please. I'm not gonna knock the lady's gimmick, either. Standing around in various levels of water for 12 hours doesn't sound like fun.
Never underestimate the power of virtue signaling. Its more addictive than meth.

And multiple grants

It's art for wealthy people who don't know what to do with all the money that they inherited. The climate change money could be spent in better ways but it is theirs to do with as they please. I'm not gonna knock the lady's gimmick, either. Standing around in various levels of water for 12 hours doesn't sound like fun.
Never underestimate the power of virtue signaling. Its more addictive than meth.
What is your take on the impact of rising sea levels?

Last edited:
Things to do when you actually don't want to hold down a real job. First world problems.

Guarantee you people in Africa or North Korea aren't worried about standing in water and showing the world how virtuous they are.

This is political?
If you don't want to read the article that's ok. But if you did, you would realize exactly why this belongs in this forum.
I did. So climate change is exclusively political?
Climate change Activist doing performance art while receiving grants? Yeah. Sorry buddy that's ending up here 100 out of 100 times and you know that, so this act is incredibly stupid
A bunch of dorks in a football forum are talking about this. Effective campaign it seems.

Things to do when you actually don't want to hold down a real job. First world problems.

Guarantee you people in Africa or North Korea aren't worried about standing in water and showing the world how virtuous they are.
Is climate change and it’s impact on people not a real issue? How is this “virtue signaling”?

And multiple grants

What is your take on the impact of rising sea levels?
It's not good. I would support the US heavily reducing carbon emissions, even if it puts us at a competitive disadvantage. Many countries are overpopulated and we need to keep the replacement rate up in order for the economic pyramid scheme to operate smoothly. It seems like this might naturally collapse within the next 30-50 years and that would help to slow or reverse climate change.

First off those are private grants so why should it bother you?

Second, ANY attempt to bring awareness to climate change is vital at this time.

Seriously, if it is a private grant, why should anyone care, let alone get bent out of shape over it? :coffee:

First off those are private grants so why should it bother you?

Second, ANY attempt to bring awareness to climate change is vital at this time.
If it is a private grant, I'm finding it hard to differentiate between "donations to bring awareness to a cause" and "political donations". Unless you're willing to suggest that all donations and lobbying should be ceased, then you don't really get to complain about private grants for, well, anything.

Lol, what kind of drama does this lady have going on in her life that she can't reasonably expect to take it easy the day before her performance?
I imagine getting ready to stand in the ocean for 13 straight hours could be quite taxing and require quite a bit of preparation.

I imagine getting ready to stand in the ocean for 13 straight hours could be quite taxing and require quite a bit of preparation.
And she should purchase her sunblock and hat ahead of time. The quote, "I'm obsessed with telling everyone that the 13th is a rest day," she says. " I'm 99 percent sure something's going to happen that I'm going to have to deal with, but I'm really trying to hold it as a rest day" made me laugh at the drama. You determine a spot where you can stand with your head above water at high tide and then, physically, you can either do it or you can't. I think I could do it tomorrow, and would be willing to do so for as little as $500. This is not a complicated performance.

This is political?
If you don't want to read the article that's ok. But if you did, you would realize exactly why this belongs in this forum.
Climate change Activist doing performance art while receiving grants? Yeah. Sorry buddy that's ending up here 100 out of 100 times and you know that, so this act is incredibly stupid

Articles about Virtue Signaling always belong in the PSF. :shrug:

And she should purchase her sunblock and hat ahead of time. The quote, "I'm obsessed with telling everyone that the 13th is a rest day," she says. " I'm 99 percent sure something's going to happen that I'm going to have to deal with, but I'm really trying to hold it as a rest day" made me laugh at the drama. You determine a spot where you can stand with your head above water at high tide and then, physically, you can either do it or you can't. I think I could do it tomorrow, and would be willing to do so for as little as $500. This is not a complicated performance.
I think we could gather way more than 500 bucks for you to live stream this. :excited:

I think we could gather way more than 500 bucks for you to live stream this. :excited:
Hmm, maybe I bit off more than I can chew. It looks like there are parts of the SF Bay that sit around 68 degrees. I'd probably need to wear neoprene booties and gloves at a minimum. I wonder what temperature this lady endured in Maine on her 1st time. She apparently did it only 3 days after getting the idea.

Hmm, maybe I bit off more than I can chew. It looks like there are parts of the SF Bay that sit around 68 degrees. I'd probably need to wear neoprene booties and gloves at a minimum. I wonder what temperature this lady endured in Maine on her 1st time. She apparently did it only 3 days after getting the idea.
I am an artist (of sorts), and I don't get much of the performance art thing, so I dont want to come across as anything other as just questioning yours, and any of ours ability on standing in 60-70 degree water for 13 hours. Although in some of the pics of her, I do see some neoprene suit of sorts

I am an artist (of sorts), and I don't get much of the performance art thing, so I dont want to come across as anything other as just questioning yours, and any of ours ability on standing in 60-70 degree water for 13 hours. Although in some of the pics of her, I do see some neoprene suit of sorts
Standing still for 13 hours is the part that I feel confident about. I was always like a statue when it came to standing at parade rest for long stretches. You can subtly shift your weight around without moving. She moved quite a bit, lifting her arms even. Sunburn, bugs, and cold water are the variables that would concern me. But I don't think it would make for a very interesting stream. The only exciting moments would be when I have to pee on myself and bug attacks.

"There was a moment where I was like, you know, I'm this privileged person," she recalled. "If I'm feeling this this deeply, what are other people feeling—in the Global South especially? How are they dealing with it? And so, I felt like I had to know and understand and learn that."
:lol:

Global South

:lol: :lol:

Talk about living in a privilege bubble where climate change is a religion and not a science.

I am pretty sure that tide changes have zero to do with evil internal combustion engines and everything to do with the gravitational pull of the moon.

Here is a good primer for those unaware

Of particular note:

GRADES 6 - 12+

SUBJECTS

Earth Science, Experiential Learning, Geography, Oceanography, Physical Geography

They oddly left out Climate Change from the entire article.

To her credit, she is taking advantage of capitalism to fuel her dreams of traveling. She would probably have more of an impact on the environment if she focused on reducing water pollution and more of an impact on the people of the "Global South" if she raised awareness about their corrupt local governments. That isn't near as sexy as standing on the beach for 12 hours while the moon and ocean do their thing.
which part of this did you not understand?

The tides struck her as the perfect metaphor for sea level rise, quickly transforming the shoreline in a matter of hours the way climate change will, to a much greater degree, over decades.

She has the opportunity to do this because everybody has an equal opportunity to succeed according to the other thread. This is simply the fruits of her hard work and good decisions.

She has every right to do this...and everyone has the right to think it is either pretty cool or like an old SNL skit.

This is political?

OH NOES VIRTUE SIGNALING!!!

Tell that to all these gumbies in Kansas hanging flags off the back of their trucks. And yards. And pasture land. And putting stickers on other peoples gas pumps, And houses etc etc etc......

This is political?

Tell that to all these gumbies in Kansas hanging flags off the back of their trucks. And yards. And pasture land. And putting stickers on other peoples gas pumps, And houses etc etc etc......

Holy False Equivalencies, Batman!!! :lol:

This is political?

You should see the UP of Michigan....people just screaming "Accept me! I have guns! I hate progress! I'm one of you! Can I be in your club! Please?" It's pathetic and hilarious all at once.

This is political?

You should see the UP of Michigan....people just screaming "Accept me! I have guns! I hate progress! I'm one of you! Can I be in your club! Please?" It's pathetic and hilarious all at once.
Yeah, no one's doing that. That's made up out of thin and highly hyperbolic air. There is no need to - it's a 2nd amendment right. :shrug:

But you keep doing you.

On the "incredibly stupid" scale, where would you rate this vs people who still deny that climate change is man-made, or it even exists?

Users who are viewing this thread