What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Opportunity - The gift our country gives to all (1 Viewer)

No....I understand exactly what I am saying. I've already said several times I really have no idea what you're saying as you hop from topic to topic just like your second sentence here. If people have nothing and sit on their butts and do nothing, I'd expect them to have nothing, but that's likely the most "water is wet" comment I can think of and has nothing to do, at all, with anything else that's been said until now. You appear to be hopping all over the place trying to take the conversation in a ton of different directions. I just wonder why and what your end goal is. None of it makes any sense.

I know you have no idea - you say that a lot and your mind thinks vastly different than mine - that is something that makes it very hard for me to follow your line of thinking I think. I'm a simple man, maybe that's it?

We agree on the bolded - why can't we agree then that NOT sitting on butt equals having something ?
It does....sometimes :shrug:

Your absolutes, as you state them, are the problem. That's not how the world works.

Everyones is the samezzzz!

Laws today protect borrowers from discriminatory lending practices, but that wasn’t always the case. For decades, U.S. banks denied mortgages to Black families—and those belonging to other racial and ethnic minority groups—who lived in certain areas redlined by a federal government agency called the Home Owners’ Loan Corp. (HOLC).

Born poor doesn't mean you gotta stay poor
No but being born poor is much worse than being born rich.
And has been forever. Not sure what this illuminates here.
It says that there may be opportunities for everyone but it's far from equal opportunity.
There will never be equal opportunity. Our past POTUS had the opportunity to send their kids to a DC public school and chose to send them to Sidwell Friends instead. A decision I'd also make if I was him. And, fact is, that few have the 100k/year to send two kids to a school of that caliber.

Just work harder and the system will work for you!!!!

It is no secret that home ownership is a proven pathway to building wealth in the United States. But in a competitive housing market with some of the most expensive homes in the country, it is tough for Black Bay Area residents to buy a home to start the process.

"It was work, but it was exciting," said Paul Austin, a homeowner in Marin City.

He and his wife Tenisha Tate Austin feel like they captured a slice of the American dream when they purchased their first home together in 2016.

The couple secured an original Marin City pole home, but faced a number of challenges in obtaining the property.

"As soon as like a house came on the market, you go in, you put your bid in, and then you get outbid by like, $100,000 or more, rather quickly," Austin said. "That can be a little bit depressing."

The Austins bought the home off-market from another Black family, who were hoping to make homeownership a reality for a young black couple.

After moving in to their home, which was originally built in the 1960s, the Austins staged major renovations.

The couple added an entire floor and more than another 1,000 square feet of space.

They didn't stop there, building a deck, new floors, a fireplace, and adding new appliances.

Then, the Austins got the home appraised.

"I read the appraisal, I looked at the number I was like, 'This is unbelievable'," said Tate Austin.

The family tells ABC7 that their appraiser was an older white woman.

The Austins are convinced race was a factor in her estimate.

The appraisal contains what the family believes was coded language, like "Marin City is a distinct area."

The home appraised for $989,000, or just $100,000 more than what the Austins got it appraised for prior to their renovations, despite $400,000 in costs.

"It was a slap in the face," said Austin.

The family immediately called their lender and pushed back. After a month of escalating their complaints, The Austins were approved for a second appraisal.

When the day came for inspection, they got creative with the process.

"We had a conversation with one of our white friends, and she said 'No problem. I'll be Tenisha. I'll bring over some pictures of my family,'" Austin said. "She made our home look like it belonged to her."

The home appraised for $1,482,000, or roughly $500,000 more than it appraised for just weeks prior.

The change was equal to a nearly 50% increase in value.

The Austins were outraged. They believe this is another ugly result of larger, systemic issues in the United States.

"There are implications to our ability to create generational wealth or passing things on if our houses appraise for 50% less than its value," said Tate Austin.

"We know discrimination is in nearly every aspect of that home buying process," said Jessica Lautz, National Association of Realtors vice president of demographics and behavioral insights. "We need to be addressing it as an industry."

but in education there will never be anything even remotely resembling an even playing field because people aren't equal in ability nor in their support at home. In addition to parenting, ability and other factors related to students, there are systems here teachers just don't want to work in. Sometimes fresh out of school teachers will start in one of these districts to just get a year or two under their belt until they can move to one of the suburban systems. That leaves the less desirable district with a lot of new teachers and those who can't leave or find a job in a "better" district for whatever reason. There's nothing really the state can do about it, especially if they are paying more per student in funding to those systems.

we give everyone a chance to make the best they can though ... in every school, there are 4.0 students, students who excel, study hard, trying to be the best they can be and in every school there are 2.0 students who simply don't

giving the opportunity doesn't mean people will take it
I totally agree with that. It’s just there is no way to ever have what people would call a true level playing field because things like ability, parental involvement, and things of that nature. It’s totally true there are those who overcome it.

Born poor doesn't mean you gotta stay poor
No but being born poor is much worse than being born rich.
And has been forever. Not sure what this illuminates here.
It says that there may be opportunities for everyone but it's far from equal opportunity.

I agree with that statement.

Life has never been equal anywhere in the world in the history of mankind. That being said being in the USA gives a person at least a chance to make it better.

Users who are viewing this thread