What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Why Rueben Randle? (1 Viewer)

after last season ill prolly be avoiding all giants.
You do realize that before last season the Giants had one of the most successful group of home grown players in the NFL. I only have two criticisms with the way they've run their organization and that is they have ignored the TE and LB position far too much. Every team has holes but to blatantly not try to address it is bad news. The offense will hing on one thing: Eli. I agree with what someone else said about his potential vs. his value right now. People want to say well it wouldn't surprise me if he falls flat on his face, well it wouldn't surprise me if people's seasons are being hitched to his wagon by mid season.

Eli could be a nice value play with upside / downside in two QB leagues. Cruz seems to be a little under the radar this year. ONE of those RBs COULD become a player.

Wouldn't say avoid the Giants as I think they provide some value. Not championship winning talent for fantasy, but you could get some overlooked players that hold the fort throughout a year, maybe provide some nice upside in the case of Cruz, Manning and a RB,

Eli could be a nice value play with upside / downside in two QB leagues. Cruz seems to be a little under the radar this year. ONE of those RBs COULD become a player.

Wouldn't say avoid the Giants as I think they provide some value. Not championship winning talent for fantasy, but you could get some overlooked players that hold the fort throughout a year, maybe provide some nice upside in the case of Cruz, Manning and a RB,
I see the Giants offense bouncing back this year. We talk about Cruz having a down year, but he still had 998yds (while missing the final 2 games) and 4 TDs. Let's say he plays those last 2 games, he ends up with 83 rec, 1140yds and 5 TDs. Those are pretty solid numbers. Yet people are talking about Cruz like he's not worth it this year.

Thier running game can't be much worse right? Jennings should be able to improve upon what Wilson/Hillis/Brown did last year. Jennings could easily be a RB2.

Eli has to be better as well. I believe McAdoo will provide a better offense for Eli. He has the pieces there with Cruz, Randle, Beckham, Jennings and Wilson. Could be a nice QBBC type in the late rounds.

steveski said:
Ditka Butkus said:
Why does Rueben Randle remind me of Brandon LeFell?
Same height, weight, speed maybe? Only small difference is that Lafell can't catch a football and that's a little bit important at his position.
Both went to LSU

Rotoworld:

Rueben Randle - WR - Giants

Rueben Randle saw a lot of red-zone looks during Thursday's practice.

As beat writer Jordan Raanan notes, it's "something we should probably get used to." At 6'3/208, Randle towers over fellow wideouts Victor Cruz and Odell Beckham. He's also shown strong catch-point ability in his career, making plenty of contested catches on his way to nine touchdowns on 60 receptions.

Source: NJ.com

Aug 1 - 9:10 AM

Rotoworld:

Rueben Randle started, but was not targeted in Sunday night's Hall of Fame game against the Bills.

Victor Cruz was not targeted by Eli Manning, either. Jerrel Jernigan was the only wideout Manning targeted, beyond screens to Rashad Jennings and hookups with TEs Daniel Fells and Larry Donnell. Randle has the most breakout potential in New York's wideout corps, but the Giants need to get their offensive line fixed in order for him to deliver. The O-Line played poorly Sunday night. Randle did set an impressive downfield block on Andre Williams' 21-yard run.

Aug 3 - 9:26 PM

Rotoworld:

Rueben Randle said there were times he felt like he was open in Monday night's loss to the Lions.

Randle finished with two catches for one yard on three targets. Eli Manning looked toward plodding tight end Larry Donnell (eight targets) and undersized No. 3 wideout Jerrel Jernigan (seven targets) far more often than his playmaking 6-foot-3 No. 2 man. "I can only control what I can control," Randle said afterward. "There were opportunities there, but like I said, my job is to run the route that is called and get open." With the Giants entire offense off the rails, Randle will be a very touchdown-dependent WR3. Sunday's matchup against Patrick Peterson and the Cardinals is not ideal.

Source: NJ.com

Sep 9 - 12:07 PM

Awful debut but the entire offense looked putrid - think it's too early to drop though....he has talent and the G-Men will be playing from behind a lot this year

Rotoworld:

Rueben Randle secured 4-of-7 targets for 39 yards and a touchdown in the Giants' Week 2 loss to the Cardinals.

Although it was nice to see Randle get going and more involved in the offense -- he beat Patrick Peterson on a red-zone fade for his touchdown catch -- the Giants couldn't get him the football in the second half, and Randle bobbled away a would-be critical fourth-quarter reception. Randle will enter Week 3 against the Texans as no more than a boom-or-bust WR3 option.

Sep 14 - 4:05 PM

Rotoworld:

Rueben Randle caught five passes for 27 yards in the Giants' Week 3 win over the Texans.

Randle was targeted a team-high ten times, and the chemistry between he and Eli Manning appears to be growing. But Randle is seeing mostly short passes. He did see one end-zone look, but got tangled up with the Houston cornerback and couldn't make the one-handed catch. Randle gets the DeAngelo Hall-less Redskins on Thursday night. He's a boom-or-bust WR3/4.

Sep 21 - 6:03 PM

TNF kind of blows, especially for the away teams, but is anyone starting Randle tonight? Washington looks to be putrid versus the pass, giving up the 5th most points to WRs so far this season and now they're down DeAngelo Hall. Eli has also peppered Randle with targets in recent weeks. After only seeing 3 in week 1, he saw 7 in week 2 and 10 last week. He also leads the team with 6 RZ looks (next closest is Donnell with 3). Randle's YPC (~6) is way down but I have to imagine it starts to approach his previous years ~15YPC as the passing offense starts to become more acclimated.

Anyway, I believe 4/60/1 - 5/75/1 seems within the realm of possibility tonight.

TNF kind of blows, especially for the away teams, but is anyone starting Randle tonight? Washington looks to be putrid versus the pass, giving up the 5th most points to WRs so far this season and now they're down DeAngelo Hall. Eli has also peppered Randle with targets in recent weeks. After only seeing 3 in week 1, he saw 7 in week 2 and 10 last week. He also leads the team with 6 RZ looks (next closest is Donnell with 3). Randle's YPC (~6) is way down but I have to imagine it starts to approach his previous years ~15YPC as the passing offense starts to become more acclimated.

Anyway, I believe 4/60/1 - 5/75/1 seems within the realm of possibility tonight.
I have a couple of guys on bye. He is in my line up.

i need a 3rd WR with Harvin on bye - but i don't trust him ....deep bench, i'll take my chances with another

(meaning he'll post 6-115-2 tonight)

9-147-3. That's what I see.
I think you got a little bit of Larry Donnell on those glasses as well.

I have Randle and am holding without confidence. I thought Randle could develop into a flex starter as the Giants turned their offense around, and was hard to drop him early for a guy like Wheaton or Quick or Hopkins, who may have just been flashes in the pan. Right now would love those other guys' upside.

With a solid game tonight, which only came because of the blow out, and with Bekham Jr. on his way back in, I think Randle might be a sell-high-if-you-can. I'm having trouble seeing him as someone who I can reliably use in a flex, as opposed to just a guy to fill in for WR byes, or to be used as as a drop in order to pick up another position bye's coverage. Convince me I'm wrong.

I have Randle and am holding without confidence. I thought Randle could develop into a flex starter as the Giants turned their offense around, and was hard to drop him early for a guy like Wheaton or Quick or Hopkins, who may have just been flashes in the pan. Right now would love those other guys' upside.

With a solid game tonight, which only came because of the blow out, and with Bekham Jr. on his way back in, I think Randle might be a sell-high-if-you-can. I'm having trouble seeing him as someone who I can reliably use in a flex, as opposed to just a guy to fill in for WR byes, or to be used as as a drop in order to pick up another position bye's coverage. Convince me I'm wrong.
Sure, I'll give it a shot. He has 27 targets over the past 3 weeks. He's tied with Donnell for most RZ targets (7) on the year. Him and Eli seem to finally be on the same page. Beckham has missed a #### ton of time, valuable time to get in work with a new offense that everyone from the coach, to Eli, to Donnell has said has taken a lot of time to learn. Give me a good reason why I shouldn't flex him in PPR vs. ATL next week.

I'm not worried about the coming of ODB. He's had no preseason, no participation even with the second team learning the offense. Coughlin's a stubborn old goat when it comes to throwing rookies into his game plan who aren't fully versed in his play book. Even if and when he does get speed, he needs to earn Eli's trust. Randle seems to have earned that trust, particularly in the RZ. If you own Randle, don't sell now, enjoy the ride.

Rotoworld:

Rueben Randle caught 8-of-10 targets for 89 yards in the Giants' Week 4 win over the Redskins.

Randle was inches from two touchdowns, but continues to have tough luck near the end zone. One of Randle's missed targets was a pass he caught for a score, only to have it speared out of his hands by a helmet before he "completed the catch." Randle's final grab was a 21-yarder where he was tackled at the two-yard line. Inexplicably, Larry Donnell caught three of Eli Manning's four scores. The good news is, Randle is finally on the same page with Eli, and operating well within the flow of the Giants' new offense. There's WR2 hope for him yet.

Sep 26 - 12:31 AM

This game was so encouraging. With Randle catching 80% of his passes last night and seeing him and Eli on the same page was great. They had a nice back shoulder throw, a couple of nice slants and then trusting him down the field with a nice 21 yard completion to get tackled at the two and another nice long reception that was placed beautifully above the DB and before the safety could arrive. Randle is a big part of the offense and he seems to be developing into having a very nice role going forward.

Eating some words here, and hope to continue. So far, so good. Better routes, more focus... Just seems to finally be a professional out there. My main concerns were rooted in the mental aspect, so perhaps this is that 3rd year click.

He's getting a lot of targets. He's in line for a monster game at some point. Get him now if you still can I think he's about to blow up. I actually think the introduction of ODB to the offense is going to help him even more.

Sure, I'll give it a shot. He has 27 targets over the past 3 weeks. He's tied with Donnell for most RZ targets (7) on the year. Him and Eli seem to finally be on the same page. Beckham has missed a #### ton of time, valuable time to get in work with a new offense that everyone from the coach, to Eli, to Donnell has said has taken a lot of time to learn. Give me a good reason why I shouldn't flex him in PPR vs. ATL next week.

Rotoworld:

Rueben Randle caught five passes for 58 yards in Sunday night's Week 6 loss to the Eagles.

He was targeted a team-high nine times. The Giants couldn't do anything in the pass game with their offensive line struggles. With Victor Cruz out for the season, Randle has a promising going-forward outlook. He's locked in as the No. 1 receiver, with Odell Beckham replacing Cruz in two-wide sets. Randle will be on the WR2 radar against the Cowboys in Week 7.

Oct 13 - 1:11 AM

I'm a huge Randle backer and that RW blurb is another example of that site being a complete and utter joke. Randle was already seeing 10 targets a week over the past three weeks since the offense "got on track". He was also already seeing an absurd amount of RZ looks. His efficiency has definitely left a bit to be desired over that time span. This Cruz injury doesn't help Randle at all. Defenses still paid attention to Cruz and I highly doubt Randle sees a substantial bump in the volume he was already seeing. If anything, Cruz's absence will hurt Randle (I remember a similar dynamic between Cruz and Nicks). Beckham is the one who gets a huge bump since I'm assuming he'll be starting opposite Randle from here on out and will see a substantial bump in snap % and subsequent looks. Randle remains a flex with WR2 (PPR) upside based on volume and RZ work alone. I wish his YAC ability were better.

He hasnt been awful but he should be much better at this point.....losing Cruz should help his targets but he will get more attention.....still holding out hope for a breakout but I fear it could be Beckham instead who breaks out.

I liked him out of LSU, but he has looked pedestrian in the NFL for the most part. No standout traits at this level. I still have him on two teams, but I'll be looking to sell if he scrapes together a few good games and finishes the year with decent numbers.

If Randle figures out how to catch more than half his targets he'll be a monster. Consistently 10 targets per game with a red zone drop in almost every one. He'll come through sooner or later.

Donnell has been extremely effective when he gets his targets. It makes no sense that the Giants have completely gotten away from targeting him the last few weeks. Randle, Beckham and Donnell should be splitting about 20 targets each week.

I'm a huge Randle backer and that RW blurb is another example of that site being a complete and utter joke. Randle was already seeing 10 targets a week over the past three weeks since the offense "got on track". He was also already seeing an absurd amount of RZ looks. His efficiency has definitely left a bit to be desired over that time span. This Cruz injury doesn't help Randle at all. Defenses still paid attention to Cruz and I highly doubt Randle sees a substantial bump in the volume he was already seeing. If anything, Cruz's absence will hurt Randle (I remember a similar dynamic between Cruz and Nicks). Beckham is the one who gets a huge bump since I'm assuming he'll be starting opposite Randle from here on out and will see a substantial bump in snap % and subsequent looks. Randle remains a flex with WR2 (PPR) upside based on volume and RZ work alone. I wish his YAC ability were better.
nice work! I disagree, but you've made me think about it..Randle's target #'s will only go up,not down. Coughlin distrusts rookies, big time..so Beckham's work will be hamstrung ( pun intended ) by a coach who hates rookies..expect Randle's targets to increase to ~13-15/gm..he'll get it dialed in,and will ,eventually, stop dropping these RZ tds..

.until the targets drop, he'll be a stud going forward..

Rotoworld:

Rueben Randle caught six passes for 74 yards in Sunday's Week 7 loss at Dallas.

Randle had one tough third-down drop and couldn't come down with a goal-line fade, but he had a strong game. Most importantly, he was on the same page with Eli Manning throughout, even completing a pretty back-shoulder throw. Randle's touchdown rate is sure to rise going forward (he has two TDs in seven games so far), but the immediate schedule is difficult: Bye, vs. IND, at SEA, vs. SF.

Oct 19 - 7:53 PM

Rotoworld:

Giants WRs coach Sean Ryan said the team plans to use Rueben Randle in the slot more over the final nine weeks of the season with Victor Cruz (knee) done for the year.

"The other guy that can do certain things in the slot for us is Reuben because he's smart and he's a big target in the middle of the field," Ryan said. Randle is averaging nearly 10 targets per game the past five weeks, and is the No. 23 overall PPR-scoring wide receiver over the past six. Getting him in the slot is just another way to get the ball in his hands. At 6'3/210, he's a mismatch for smaller nickel corners. Randle has picked up his play and put himself into WR2 consideration. We're just waiting for that "boom" game.

Source: Newark Star-Ledger
Oct 22 - 10:40 AM

Faust said:
Rotoworld:

Giants WRs coach Sean Ryan said the team plans to use Rueben Randle in the slot more over the final nine weeks of the season with Victor Cruz (knee) done for the year.

"The other guy that can do certain things in the slot for us is Reuben because he's smart and he's a big target in the middle of the field," Ryan said. Randle is averaging nearly 10 targets per game the past five weeks, and is the No. 23 overall PPR-scoring wide receiver over the past six. Getting him in the slot is just another way to get the ball in his hands. At 6'3/210, he's a mismatch for smaller nickel corners. Randle has picked up his play and put himself into WR2 consideration. We're just waiting for that "boom" game.

Source: Newark Star-Ledger

Oct 22 - 10:40 AM
Interesting. Thanks Faust.

Users who are viewing this thread