What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Why is there such a witchhunt regarding Romo? (1 Viewer)

All this Romo to broadcasting talk is just a last-gasp attempt by the Cowboys to get some value out of him before they release him.   :coffee:

The Denver Channel's Troy Renck believes the Broncos "haven’t closed the door" on Tony Romo.

A previous report suggested it’s the Texans or retirement for Romo. The Broncos aren’t going to trade Dallas anything, but aren’t ruling out signing Romo if/when he becomes a free agent. Houston remains Romo's most likely landing spot.

Related: Broncos
Source: Troy Renck on Twitter

What's lost in all this the Cowboys and Jerry never once said they were releasing Romo. It was reported but the Cowboys never officially said so. 

Romo's sad and pathetic Bob Dylan video the following day fueled the fire. 

Sorry but it's pretty annoying reading all these posts tellin Jerry just to release him already and they're doing Romo dirty. 

Tony Romo is peice of property just like everyone else that is the labor force of the NFL.

The longer this goes the more convinced I am the Cowboys are going to get a pick for Romo and then he's gonna retire. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Braktastic said:
All this Romo to broadcasting talk is just a last-gasp attempt by the Cowboys to get some value out of him before they release him.   :coffee:
Really? I thought it was probably all generated by his agent to let other potential employers know he does have other lucrative options in case they want him to play for little or no money.

Whoever it is that keep re-releasing the same story that Tony Romo has had an offer to go into broadcasting..... WE GET IT! We'll get it when this same "story" is trotted out next week as well. Enough already.

What's lost in all this the Cowboys and Jerry never once said they were releasing Romo. It was reported but the Cowboys never officially said so. 

Sorry but it's pretty annoying reading all these posts tellin Jerry just to release him already and they're doing Romo dirty. 

Tony Romo is peice of property just like everyone else that is the labor force of the NFL.

The longer this goes the more convinced I am the Cowboys are going to get a pick for Romo and then he's gonna retire. 
I keep hoping we'll hear a story soon whether or not denver is willing to part with a draft pick for Romo or not. I mean, elway played his QB-hand so brilliantly last season he took a supurbowl champion team and nearly made the playoffs. The Siemian situation kind of reminds me of the Geno Smith situation for the Jets at this time last year. "NO, we mean it! We are very confiding in this guy as our starter this year..... unless of course someone else suddenly becomes available in which case we don't even want him on our roster. But until that happens we honestly think this guy is great starter for us. Wait, the phone just rang let me check if we want him on the team at all...."

So your view is that it is going to work out great for the Cowboys, Jerry Jones will end up looking really smart, and everyone else will look stupid. Are you sure there is no Cowboy fan wishful thinking there? Just askin.....

So your view is that it is going to work out great for the Cowboys, Jerry Jones will end up looking really smart, and everyone else will look stupid. Are you sure there is no Cowboy fan wishful thinking there? Just askin.....
 Yeah, I don't even know what you're talking about.  How am I being "wishful"? 

I'm correcting the misconception that the Cowboys said that they were going to release Romo.

The Cowboys have their quarterback of the future and any compensation for "losing" Romo would just be icing on the cake. 

You're enough of a closet Cowboys fan to know that Jerry isn't really pulling all the strings anymore despite winning executive of the year. You know the Cowboys have been one of the best run organizations of the past couple of years despite taking a few risks in desperation on defensive linemen they've made sound football decisions.

Yeah, I don't even know what you're talking about.  How am I being "wishful"? 

I'm correcting the misconception that the Cowboys said that they were going to release Romo.

The Cowboys have their quarterback of the future and any compensation for "losing" Romo would just be icing on the cake. 

You're enough of a closet Cowboys fan to know that Jerry isn't really pulling all the strings anymore despite winning executive of the year. You know the Cowboys have been one of the best run organizations of the past couple of years despite taking a few risks in desperation on defensive linemen they've made sound football decisions.
Closet Cowboy Fan? No. I have enjoyed reading the Cowboys thread over the years because I like to poke fun when things are going poorly. I try to do it in a way however, that is not totally dickish and ovbious. Much like you do in the Eagles thread, Steady. I am also enough of a realist that when the Cowboys play well or do good things, I acknowledge it. When a bunch of people (a lot of Eagles fans) were saying that Dak was only the product of being put into a great situation, I acknowledged that while he was put into a great situation, he did everything that was asked of him in that situation and played like a veteran. If someone has the opinion that Dak won't be all that great over the course of his career, that's fine, but they can't really hold that opinion based on what he did in his rookie year.

Has the Cowboys front office improved? For sure. But Garrett hasn't shown he is a good playoff coach yet, and the premise of building a team based on a great offense and a mediocre defense isn't a proven formula for winning. The 49ers in the eighties, the Joe Gibbs Redskins, and the 90's Cowboys all had great offenses, but they also had really good defenses. The Patriots had really good defenses for their first 3 titles, but even though their last two were more offense based, they still have a coach that can defensively out gameplan the other team. Hell, even the Eagles from 2000- 2004 had most of their success because of Jim Johnson and the defense rather than Andy Reid being a great coach or Donovan McNabb being an elite QB. I would say the Saints was the only SB champ recently that had a great offense with an average defense. And that defense was very good at creating turnovers.

Back to Romo: we don't really know what the Cowboys told Romo about being released. Romo's video certainly makes it seem that the Cowboys told him something that gave him the impression that he was being released. Maybe they just told him that he wasn't going to be a Cowboy next year and he assumed that meant they were releasing him. Who knows? I will say that while the Cowboys may eventually trade Romo, no team is going to be trading for him unless he is giving them assurances that he will play for them. Your scenario of the Cowboys trading him and then Romo retiring just doesn't make any sense.

:lmao:

@dhockster I know your not a Cowboys fan! Cmon maaaan, we've been at it for years now! 

I agree with everything you said. The line about the Cowboys getting a draft pick for Romo and then him retiring was just hyperbole. 

The Cowboys defense isn't top notch by any stretch, but they have been serviceable when we run the ball and all the guys we lost due to free agency this year were not playmakers. 

The  team isn't built solely on the premise of offense. Believe it or not the Cowboys have been investing into their defense, it's just that the results haven't panned out.  Injuries as I have also played a key role.  And if the league didn't test for weed I truly believe Randy Gregory would be a double digits that guy. But they do and sadly he's been a bust.

It's going to be a fun decade, I think my guy (Dak) is better than your guy (dopey) and I'm sure vice versa. 

Saints in the 2000 g to me you are the only two offense of teams with ever won the Super Bowl. Like you said though, both defenses were extremely opportunistic.  Actually, the Rams defense was probably legit.

:lmao:

@dhockster I know your not a Cowboys fan! Cmon maaaan, we've been at it for years now! 

I agree with everything you said. The line about the Cowboys getting a draft pick for Romo and then him retiring was just hyperbole. 

The Cowboys defense isn't top notch by any stretch, but they have been serviceable when we run the ball and all the guys we lost due to free agency this year were not playmakers. 

The  team isn't built solely on the premise of offense. Believe it or not the Cowboys have been investing into their defense, it's just that the results haven't panned out.  Injuries as I have also played a key role.  And if the league didn't test for weed I truly believe Randy Gregory would be a double digits that guy. But they do and sadly he's been a bust.

It's going to be a fun decade, I think my guy (Dak) is better than your guy (dopey) and I'm sure vice versa. 
Yeah, but he's dopey in a cool way. I am excited to see what Wentz does with (hopefully) better receivers this year.

Yeah, but he's dopey in a cool way. I am excited to see what Wentz does with (hopefully) better receivers this year.
I like Wentz, both as a player and from everything that I've seen personally. I would have taken him over Goff in a heartbeat. 

OK, now that we're done sucking each other off, F you loser Eagles fan!! 

Appears Romo is very bitter about how the Cowboys handled this last season and felt the coaching staff and some in the locker room stabbed him in the back. The breakup will happen soon.

Appears Romo is very bitter about how the Cowboys handled this last season and felt the coaching staff and some in the locker room stabbed him in the back. The breakup will happen soon.
 Thanks Shefty Jane Slater.

Weird that you posted about this with your own hot take as of you were breaking the news yourself. 

People are sooooooo weird. 

Jerry paid Romo the going rate for a franchise QB. Don't pretend Jerry did him a favor. If anything, Romo (via Parcells) saved Jerry. Dallas was floundering for quite a few years and Bledsoe's job was not difficult to steal. Remember Chad Hutchinson, Quincy Carter, and Drew Henson? Hell, that's probably why Jerry is being a DB about this whole thing. He probably still holds a grudge against Houston for the Drew Henson trade.

As for Romo conceding his job... you seriously think Romo had a choice in the matter? I'm sure he was told it was Dak's job. So he could either throw a fit to the media and look petulant or he could keep it classy. Seems he did the only rational thing.

:rolleyes:  @ the alpha male comment. His team ranked 30th in pass attempts. He did the Brady/Roethlisberger/Wilson path - lean on the rest of your team, don't turn the ball over, occasionally convert a 3rd and long. Nothing wrong with that path at all, but he didn't alpha male the entire league. Luck/Newton came much closer to that than Dak.
1. Jerry made Romo a very rich man and quite honestly did not get a very good ROI...other than an oft injured QB with very little playoff success....

2. Jerry doesn't really "owe" Romo anything and the whole "do right by Romo" thing is wayyyyyyyy overrated....if they are such good buds it should actually be a two way street, not just a one way street.....Romo should be thinking, "you know Jerry, I really didn't probably give you what you paid for"...."get whatever you can for me"..."and in fact, here...I'll help by agreeing to restructure"...

but No....instead...what people don't realize is that ROMO IS THE ONE HOLDING ALL OF THIS UP.....NOT JERRY.....

3.  Romo has said he only wants to go to a contender....which limits Jerry options...

and the BIGGEST thing....

4. If Romo would agree to restructure his contract NOW....for what he is eventually going to sign for anyway when/if he gets released.....this thing would be done in two seconds.....HOU would give Jerry a 5th rounder or something and everybody would be happy.....Romo, HOU, and Jerry.....

people are expecting Jerry just to hand this guy for free...."to a contender" on silver platter.... and we act like not doing so makes him some kind of jerk/DB.....when in fact if Mr. Romo would agree to also play nice in the sandbox (like we are expecting Jerry to do)....this whole thing could be done....

Romo is the one causing all this with his demands to go to a contender, not willing to restructure, and threats of retirement and TV gigs....

plus...why wouldn't you wait until the last possible second to release him if you are going to....why give him the extra time to practice with his "contender"....

Romo is the one causing all this with his demands to go to a contender, not willing to restructure, and threats of retirement and TV gigs....

plus...why wouldn't you wait until the last possible second to release him if you are going to....why give him the extra time to practice with his "contender"....
I completely agree with you overall, but you don't even have to go as far as that last part. How many months ago did Teddy Bridgewater go down IN PRACTICE and MIN was forced to scramble for a QB just before the season started?

I completely agree with you overall, but you don't even have to go as far as that last part. How many months ago did Teddy Bridgewater go down IN PRACTICE and MIN was forced to scramble for a QB just before the season started?
agreed.....it makes zero business or competitive sense to release/trade Romo one second before you have too......

1. Jerry made Romo a very rich man and quite honestly did not get a very good ROI...other than an oft injured QB with very little playoff success....

2. Jerry doesn't really "owe" Romo anything and the whole "do right by Romo" thing is wayyyyyyyy overrated....if they are such good buds it should actually be a two way street, not just a one way street.....Romo should be thinking, "you know Jerry, I really didn't probably give you what you paid for"...."get whatever you can for me"..."and in fact, here...I'll help by agreeing to restructure"...

but No....instead...what people don't realize is that ROMO IS THE ONE HOLDING ALL OF THIS UP.....NOT JERRY.....

3.  Romo has said he only wants to go to a contender....which limits Jerry options...

and the BIGGEST thing....

4. If Romo would agree to restructure his contract NOW....for what he is eventually going to sign for anyway when/if he gets released.....this thing would be done in two seconds.....HOU would give Jerry a 5th rounder or something and everybody would be happy.....Romo, HOU, and Jerry.....

people are expecting Jerry just to hand this guy for free...."to a contender" on silver platter.... and we act like not doing so makes him some kind of jerk/DB.....when in fact if Mr. Romo would agree to also play nice in the sandbox (like we are expecting Jerry to do)....this whole thing could be done....

I don't really feel like any of that was applicable to my post. My whole post was basically refuting two stupid statements by someone else. I believe the statements implied (sorry, it was too dumb to be worth scrolling back a few pages for) that Jerry had done Tony a favor by paying him the going rate for a franchise QB and that Dak took the league by storm or alpha maled the entire league. The points were too dumb to not take issue with.

Your points, however, I'm mostly fine with.

1) I feel like Romo has only really been injury prone recently, but maybe I'm misremembering. As for playoff success, it's a team game.

2) I didn't say Jerry owed Romo anything. I just don't think Jerry did Romo a favor by paying him what he paid him. There were probably 20+ other teams that would've been happy to pay Romo that.

3) Agreed.

4) I don't know enough of the ins and outs of the situation to agree or disagree with this one.

I don't really feel like any of that was applicable to my post. My whole post was basically refuting two stupid statements by someone else. I believe the statements implied (sorry, it was too dumb to be worth scrolling back a few pages for) that Jerry had done Tony a favor by paying him the going rate for a franchise QB and that Dak took the league by storm or alpha maled the entire league. The points were too dumb to not take issue with.

Your points, however, I'm mostly fine with.

1) I feel like Romo has only really been injury prone recently, but maybe I'm misremembering. As for playoff success, it's a team game.

2) I didn't say Jerry owed Romo anything. I just don't think Jerry did Romo a favor by paying him what he paid him. There were probably 20+ other teams that would've been happy to pay Romo that.

3) Agreed.

4) I don't know enough of the ins and outs of the situation to agree or disagree with this one.
hey ninja...my post wasn't really directed at anything you said specifically but just more of a reaction to the tone/sentiment that many people have that Romo is some angel in this whole thing and Jerry is a doosh....Romo didn't really do Jerry any favors and if he really wanted to do him a favor....it's simple....he would agree to restructure his contract to an acceptable level that would allow a team to trade for him.....no team is going to trade for his contract "as is"....so Romo is really the one preventing movement now and potentially dragging this out until the last possible second....

as far as point #4.....if Romo would agree to restructure....(and its probably not really the $14 mil this year that's an issue, its probably the $19 the following year and the $20 the year after that has teams saying no ####### way).....then this whole thing would be done....when/if Romo gets released he is probably looking at a contract somewhere between $10 and mayyyyybe $14 mil a year for 2-3 years....teams just want to know that the $19 and $20 mil are off the table....they don't want the headache....and let's be honest, at that point, Jerry probably would "settle" for a 5th rounder or so in a trade, when Romo may actually be worth more than that.....that would be Jerry's way of "doing right by Romo", if Romo would concede a little to give him the chance to do so....

if Romo agreed to restructure to something he is probably worth.....say $12 mil or so a year for the next 3 years .....this thing would be OVAHHHHHHHHHH......

he would be a Texan and Jerry would get a 5th rounder (or so).....and EVERYBODY rides off into the setting Texas sun a happy camper....

Other than the pride issue of being a starter, I honestly don't see much point in Romo agreeing to restructure, there's still a chance that he gets to sit as an extremely highly paid backup for the Cowboys. Just like there's not much incentive now for Jerry to outright cut him with FA basically over and them back under the cap.

Don't think there is really a villain here other than the media constantly flooding us with stories every day trumpeting one side or the other. If he isn't moved by the time the draft is over then I think its likely he sits as a backup for the year. Teams making a panic move like Minnesota did last year is a pretty rare thing.

if Romo agreed to restructure to something he is probably worth.....say $12 mil or so a year for the next 3 years .....this thing would be OVAHHHHHHHHHH......

he would be a Texan and Jerry would get a 5th rounder (or so).....and EVERYBODY rides off into the setting Texas sun a happy camper....
He's scheduled for $14 million this year.

yeah I know....that's probably not the hang up as much as the $19 mil the following year and the $20 mil the year after that...
Does Brock's cap hit clear out after this year? I believe so, but could be wrong.

Other than the pride issue of being a starter, I honestly don't see much point in Romo agreeing to restructure, there's still a chance that he gets to sit as an extremely highly paid backup for the Cowboys. Just like there's not much incentive now for Jerry to outright cut him with FA basically over and them back under the cap.

Don't think there is really a villain here other than the media constantly flooding us with stories every day trumpeting one side or the other. If he isn't moved by the time the draft is over then I think its likely he sits as a backup for the year. Teams making a panic move like Minnesota did last year is a pretty rare thing.
quite honestly I think Tony is bordering a little on the villain role.....

1.he knows he is not currently worth what is scheduled to be paid for by the Cowboys (14, 19, 20)....

2. he demands that if traded, it has to be to a contender.....if not demands, he is at least trying to guilt Jerry into not trading him to the Jets or something....

3. he threatens retirement

4. he plays the TV gig card

5.  last but certainly not least.....he refuses to restructure to help things out...

personally I think Tony caves before or right around camp and agrees to restructure so he can be traded....

Yeah, I completely agree with this. Rotoworlds take on this situation is as bad as their take on the Kaep situation last season..... and were completely wrong all spring/summer/fall. Now they are absolutely CONVINCED that Romo has no value to DAL and Osweiler has to leave CLE. Because, you know, CLE has such a strong string of success at QB and they are so tight right up against the cap that Osweiler couldn't possibly help them as a 3rd string QB.

BTW, I brought up the Bridgewater injury not because I thought they could deal Romo to a team like MIN last season(although that also could certainly happen now that you mention it) but I was speaking more to the fact that PRESCOTT could go down with an injury and then DAL would be in the situation MIN was last season. Desperate for a last minute upgrade at QB because they felt they had a team that was a contender.

quite honestly I think Tony is bordering a little on the villain role.....

1.he knows he is not currently worth what is scheduled to be paid for by the Cowboys (14, 19, 20)....

2. he demands that if traded, it has to be to a contender.....if not demands, he is at least trying to guilt Jerry into not trading him to the Jets or something....

3. he threatens retirement

4. he plays the TV gig card

5.  last but certainly not least.....he refuses to restructure to help things out...

personally I think Tony caves before or right around camp and agrees to restructure so he can be traded....
Just for clarity, I see a restructure as a player agreeing to convert base salary to a signing bonus so the team can spread the cap hit over several years and the player gets all their salary in a lump sum when he restructures rather than over the course of the season. Win-win. What you want Tony to do is agree to a pay cut. Which means he agrees to less money and he is still under contract with the Cowboys presumably as a back-up. Neither of those things are what Tony wants. Who's to say if Tony took a pay cut, Dallas wouldn't keep him as a back-up?

There really is no villian here as both parties are just acting in their own best interests.

He's been playing golf every chance he's gotten since before he was a Cowboy. 
That is incorrect, he quit golf completely after the back surgeries he had in 2013.  In order to give himself "the best chance to succeed on the football field."

Just for clarity, I see a restructure as a player agreeing to convert base salary to a signing bonus so the team can spread the cap hit over several years and the player gets all their salary in a lump sum when he restructures rather than over the course of the season. Win-win. What you want Tony to do is agree to a pay cut. Which means he agrees to less money and he is still under contract with the Cowboys presumably as a back-up. Neither of those things are what Tony wants. Who's to say if Tony took a pay cut, Dallas wouldn't keep him as a back-up?

There really is no villian here as both parties are just acting in their own best interests.
obviously the process of restructuring would be contingent on being traded.....that's a no brainer

obviously the process of restructuring would be contingent on being traded.....that's a no brainer
So another team (let's say the Texans) wants the Cowboys to negotiate a new contract for them so they can give the Cowboys a draft pick? I think they will wait until the Cowboys have to cut Tony for cap reasons (i.e. signing rookies and other free agents) and keep their draft pick.

Part of the reason for Witten's extension could be that Jerry is trying to free up enough cap space without cutting Romo that he can wait to cut him. That puts more pressure on the Texans if they want to get Tony into mini camps and OTA's. We will see.

So another team (let's say the Texans) wants the Cowboys to negotiate a new contract for them so they can give the Cowboys a draft pick? I think they will wait until the Cowboys have to cut Tony for cap reasons (i.e. signing rookies and other free agents) and keep their draft pick.

Part of the reason for Witten's extension could be that Jerry is trying to free up enough cap space without cutting Romo that he can wait to cut him. That puts more pressure on the Texans if they want to get Tony into mini camps and OTA's. We will see.
yes that is what the Texans would want to do....Tony agrees to a restructured contract that say pays him (14,12, 10).....instead of (14, 19, 20)...all with the understanding that is part of a trade....Texans would now be willing to assume Tony and his contract for that and give up a draft pick for it....

as far as the bolded goes.....if you wait till he gets released....you now in theory are competing with 31 other teams for his services....there is no guarantee he signs with you instead of say the Broncos.....trading guarantees you get your guy....

FF Ninja said:
I was the one who said Dak "alpha male'd the league", you putz. It was clearly hyperbole, but after reading your drivel, I can see how it was lost on you. 

Since you think it was "too dumb to not take issue with", let's take issue with it, shall we? I'll save you the daughting task of going all the way back two pages and pull up my comments:

I said "Dak is a kid and he came in and alpha male'd the whole damn league."

Cleeearly hyperbole but fine.

You responded with 

@ the alpha male comment. His team ranked 30th in pass attempts. He did the Brady/Roethlisberger/Wilson path - lean on the rest of your team, don't turn the ball over, occasionally convert a 3rd and long. Nothing wrong with that path at all, but he didn't alpha male the entire league. Luck/Newton came much closer to that than Dak.
Your entire paragraph of nonsense contradicts itself. 

Dak put up arguably the best rookie season in the history of the NFL. Better then every guy you mentioned, while leading his team to a 13-3 record, in the most high profile position in all of sports, quaterback of the Dallas Cowboys. He won the OROY while a 10 year vet was breathing down his neck and the entire world waiting for him to fail. He didn't do it by himself and neither did all the bums who played QB the previous season when the Cowboys couldn't manage to stumble into a win, much less dominate games. He also outplayed Aaron Rodgers in their playoff loss. 

Nobody, including myself said Jerry was "doing Romo a favor". I merely said the Cowboys didn't owe Romo jack #### and in you mutated that statement into me saying Jerry did Romo a favor. 

Your nonsense that there were 20 teams willing to give a 32 year old QB coming off  his first back surgery is just that, nonsense. A simple google search will bring up dozens of articles from 2013 lambasting the Cowboys and Jerry Jones for overpaying Romo. 

FF Ninja said:
No kidding. 

I was the one who said Dak "alpha male'd the league", you putz. It was clearly hyperbole, but after reading your drivel, I can see how it was lost on you. 

Since you think it was "too dumb to not take issue with", let's take issue with it, shall we? I'll save you the daughting task of going all the way back two pages and pull up my comments:

I said "Dak is a kid and he came in and alpha male'd the whole damn league."

Cleeearly hyperbole but fine.

You responded with 

Your entire paragraph of nonsense contradicts itself. 

Dak put up arguably the best rookie season in the history of the NFL. Better then every guy you mentioned, while leading his team to a 13-3 record, in the most high profile position in all of sports, quaterback of the Dallas Cowboys. He won the OROY while a 10 year vet was breathing down his neck and the entire world waiting for him to fail. He didn't do it by himself and neither did all the bums who played QB the previous season when the Cowboys couldn't manage to stumble into a win, much less dominate games. He also outplayed Aaron Rodgers in their playoff loss. 

Nobody, including myself said Jerry was "doing Romo a favor". I merely said the Cowboys didn't owe Romo jack #### and in you mutated that statement into me saying Jerry did Romo a favor. 

Your nonsense that there were 20 teams willing to give a 32 year old QB coming off  his first back surgery is just that, nonsense. A simple google search will bring up dozens of articles from 2013 lambasting the Cowboys and Jerry Jones for overpaying Romo. 

No kidding. 
There's only one putz here and it's the person who spells daunting "daughting". 

Stinkin Ref said:
yes that is what the Texans would want to do....Tony agrees to a restructured contract that say pays him (14,12, 10).....instead of (14, 19, 20)...all with the understanding that is part of a trade....Texans would now be willing to assume Tony and his contract for that and give up a draft pick for it....

as far as the bolded goes.....if you wait till he gets released....you now in theory are competing with 31 other teams for his services....there is no guarantee he signs with you instead of say the Broncos.....trading guarantees you get your guy....
Yes, in theory they would be competing with 31 other teams. In reality, the Broncos and the Texans are the only teams competing for Romo. They are the only two teams that it makes sense for them to get him and for Romo to want to sign with them. And the Broncos already have two young QB's that they are potentially grooming to be the future QB so signing Romo would delay their progress.

Right now the Cowboys and any potential suitors for Romo are playing Chicken to see which comes first: the suitors needing to get Romo on board to learn their system, or the Cowboys needing the cap space that Romo currently occupies. That will determine if there is a trade for Romo or he gets cut.

Yes, in theory they would be competing with 31 other teams. In reality, the Broncos and the Texans are the only teams competing for Romo. They are the only two teams that it makes sense for them to get him and for Romo to want to sign with them. And the Broncos already have two young QB's that they are potentially grooming to be the future QB so signing Romo would delay their progress.

Right now the Cowboys and any potential suitors for Romo are playing Chicken to see which comes first: the suitors needing to get Romo on board to learn their system, or the Cowboys needing the cap space that Romo currently occupies. That will determine if there is a trade for Romo or he gets cut.
ok let's agree that everybody else is completely out of the picture and he gets released....I live in CO and believe me the Romo radio talk almost makes me want to puke at this point.....and if you are the Texans, are you completely sure the Broncos are out of the picture?....I feel pretty confident no matter what little things you here that DEN will defiantly take a sniff if he gets released and would you really put it past Elway to make a strong move with his defense still in a SB window....they are not sold on their two young QB's and are ALWAYS looking for an upgrade....they are not real concerned about delaying progress, they are in win it all now mode still if they get a QB upgrade....if you listen to the comments, the Broncos brass is always sure to include the words like "right now" when speaking about being ok with their current QB situation, etc......they say we look for every opportunity to improve our team just like every team should, etc....I can promise you that door is still open.....so if you are the Texans are you really willing to roll the dice?....if Tony would agree to restructure, which he really should, giving Jerry a mid round pick seems very small considering your current QB situation....the playing chicken thing is a popular way to describe it, but NO team is trading for that contract as is.....so it really is ROMO that will determine if he is traded or gets cut, or actually remains with the Cowboys....or retires

he could agree to restructure and be traded in two seconds.....if he really wanted too....I see Jerry playing this out the whole way

Exactly right.

But each time DAL restructures/extends a veteran to create cap space they are under LESS pressure in regards to needing cap space(and keep in mind the cap has been jumping up $10mil+ each offseason). I'm not really sure how many FA's there are on the market that would make a huge impact for DAL so there real goal is having enough $ to sign their rookies with a little left over to sign vet minimum deals when injuries occur during the season.

And each week we get closer to week1 another team has to plan for possibly not having Romo on their roster, Romo becomes less valuable. At least that will happen at the start of the NFL draft.

We've seen two of these teams(HOU and denver) play chicken last year. HOU swerved and upticked their offer to Osweiler above the $16mil/season elway wanted to give him, and denver refused to swerve after that and promptly ran into the ditch to watch the playoffs on television when they were "happy" with their QB situation. The exact same QB situation they have now, in fact. Of the three DAL really has the least to lose at this point(and the least to gain for that matter) which is why they should be in no rush to resolve this. Worst case scenario they are looking to potentially go deep into the playoffs with what they have and happen to have one of the best backup QB's in the league under contract. DAL is one of the few teams in the NFL who doesn't have their entire season end with an injury to one player.

Users who are viewing this thread