What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Why is NFL Network ruining SuperBowl coverage? (1 Viewer)

cr8f

Footballguy
Moose, Irvin, Deion... :lmao:

Now they are talking about taking "America's Team" from Dallas? :lmao:

Roger Staubach, Everson Walls, Emmitt,.....expect to see everyone they can dust off.

Dallas has always been known as "America's Team." It doesn't mean anything. The game is in Dallas and Jerry needs lots of PR to justify the sphinx he built, so NFLN isn't letting anyone forget there's a Cowboys angle to a game they never came close to reaching.

Every owner wants their team highlighted in some way when they host, so I'm sure they're using their network to help each other out.

It is the NFL Network.

You can't really think a producer wouldn't be excited to have HOFers on, do ya?

I guess since their current players can't get it done they have no choice but to roll out the old guys.

NFL Network is quickly turning to crap.

I dare you to watch ten minutes of Deion and Michael Irvin on screen together.

No breaks.

No crying.

No sedatives.

No suicide.

10 minutes. Straight

Good Luck

Last edited by a moderator:
:thumbup: The game IS in Dallas. Jerry Jones probably invited a lot of the Cowboys' greats to share a big luxury box for the event, so they are in town. With so many hours of coverage to generate, I expect the NFL Network to interview the Dallas Cowboys' equipment manager before this week is through - why not talk to some former stars?

Also, giving props to the old guard may help grease the tracks for the upcoming CBA negotiations... really no reason not to give the old guard their 15 minutes of coverage during the build up to the game.

My :kicksrock: .

Dallas has always been known as "America's Team." It doesn't mean anything. The game is in Dallas and Jerry needs lots of PR to justify the sphinx he built, so NFLN isn't letting anyone forget there's a Cowboys angle to a game they never came close to reaching.

Every owner wants their team highlighted in some way when they host, so I'm sure they're using their network to help each other out.
Dallas has not always been known as America's Team. It came about more than ten years after they were just another expansion franchise. Also it is only really know as that in Dallas. It was a marketing scheme, and one with too much hubris if you ask me. It is offensive to fans of other great franchises. It also is in a way pathetic, like the dweeb kid in your neighborhood when you were growing up trying to get people to call him by a "cool" nic-name. In the end you don't dub yourself with a moniker. To be accepted it must be bestowed by others nearly universally.

Dallas has not always been known as America's Team. It came about more than ten years after they were just another expansion franchise. Also it is only really know as that in Dallas. It was a marketing scheme, and one with too much hubris if you ask me. It is offensive to fans of other great franchises. It also is in a way pathetic, like the dweeb kid in your neighborhood when you were growing up trying to get people to call him by a "cool" nic-name. In the end you don't dub yourself with a moniker. To be accepted it must be bestowed by others nearly universally.
Didn't NFL.com rank "America's Team" as the #1 nickname in football a few years ago? To argue that it is only known as that in Dallas is silly. Not as silly as the nickname, itself, but still...Ask any football fan across the country who is known as America's Team, and anyone who hasn't been living under a cave will answer the Cowboys. Again, I don't know why it's so important for any Cowboy fan to identify with it, just as I don't get why people are as upset about this as you seem to be. It's a stupid nickname. But, at least let's dispense with the notion that it's just some local Austin Texas thing and that no one else has ever heard of it. It shouldn't be offensive to anyone because it's meaningless.

Didn't NFL.com rank "America's Team" as the #1 nickname in football a few years ago? To argue that it is only known as that in Dallas is silly. Not as silly as the nickname, itself, but still...Ask any football fan across the country who is known as America's Team, and anyone who hasn't been living under a cave will answer the Cowboys. Again, I don't know why it's so important for any Cowboy fan to identify with it, just as I don't get why people are as upset about this as you seem to be. It's a stupid nickname. But, at least let's dispense with the notion that it's just some local Austin Texas thing and that no one else has ever heard of it. It shouldn't be offensive to anyone because it's meaningless.
I am not upset by this, I just find it foolsih. As for the Moniker being recognized beyond Dallas, you are correct, I expressed myself poorly. Rather, I should have said that outside of that area it is recognized for what it is., an inapropos moniker, adopted through hubris.

I am not upset by this, I just find it foolsih. As for the Moniker being recognized beyond Dallas, you are correct, I expressed myself poorly. Rather, I should have said that outside of that area it is recognized for what it is., an inapropos moniker, adopted through hubris.
I agree with this. Any Cowboys fan who wears this thing like a badge of honor is really pretty ######ed.

Hated him as a player and I guess I'm in the minority now but I really enjoy Irvin. I think he's light years better than Keyshawn and Cris Carter on ESPN. His enthusiasm hides alot of his warts in my opinion.

Irvin is better than what he was on ESPN and he and Deion at least call out people that need to be called out. They dont sugarcoat problems that are going on and even with their beloved Cowboys. At times they get a little out of hand, but they are not close to MEShawyn is a total clueless former player on set.

CrossEyed said:
"America's Team" is about as relevant as "Hockeytown".
:hophead: I know America's Team is the Cowboys...Ihave no idea where this Hockeytown you speak of is located....seriously.

CrossEyed said:
:D I know America's Team is the Cowboys...Ihave no idea where this Hockeytown you speak of is located....seriously.
My main point is that they are both self-proclaimed titles.But how can someone live in Chicago and not know that Detroit calls itself Hockeytown?

CrossEyed said:
Maybe the moniker of America's Team has something to do with this:The most valuable NFL team is the Dallas Cowboys: Its value increased a league high 9%, to $1.8 billion. The team, worth more than any other sports franchise in the world, save soccer club Manchester United ($1.84 billion), moved into its new $1.25 billion stadium last season and sold out every regular season game with the league's highest average ticket price, $160.

http://www.forbes.com/2010/08/25/most-valu...s-10-intro.html

I could careless whether or not you call Dallas Cowboys America's team but the simple fact remains that they are the most 2nd most valuable franchise in the ENTIRE WORLD even with a disappointing run of 15+ years, just imagine if they had actually won a Superbowl or had consistent post season success.

CrossEyed said:
Maybe the moniker of America's Team has something to do with this:The most valuable NFL team is the Dallas Cowboys: Its value increased a league high 9%, to $1.8 billion. The team, worth more than any other sports franchise in the world, save soccer club Manchester United ($1.84 billion), moved into its new $1.25 billion stadium last season and sold out every regular season game with the league's highest average ticket price, $160.

http://www.forbes.com/2010/08/25/most-valu...s-10-intro.html

I could careless whether or not you call Dallas Cowboys America's team but the simple fact remains that they are the most 2nd most valuable franchise in the ENTIRE WORLD even with a disappointing run of 15+ years, just imagine if they had actually won a Superbowl or had consistent post season success.
Great.The Redskins are #2 and the Browns are "more valuable" than the Steelers. Seems like a great way to measure things. :clap:

Actually, I think there was a time it was accepted by others, if not gladly. Dallas was just about the only team that was almost always consistently good from the mid-60s to the mid-80s, when the NFL had its greatest growth. During that period, fans new to the game without a local team, or with a lousy local team, gravitated to winners, so that is why you find Cowboys fans in many places. Since the mid-80s, the Cowboys success has been more sporadic, so I think the "America's Team" reference is obsolete. Also, with the growth of TV outlets (ESPN, DirectTV, etc..), more people get to seem more teams; similarly with fantasy, they follow more teams closely. So its a different era, and less likely to have an "America's Team." But I can understand why the Cowboys would try to keep the flame alive.

"America's team" is easily one of the most successful marketing concepts ever done, possibly the greatest marketing concept ever.

Actually, I think there was a time it was accepted by others, if not gladly. Dallas was just about the only team that was almost always consistently good from the mid-60s to the mid-80s, when the NFL had its greatest growth. During that period, fans new to the game without a local team, or with a lousy local team, gravitated to winners, so that is why you find Cowboys fans in many places. Since the mid-80s, the Cowboys success has been more sporadic, so I think the "America's Team" reference is obsolete. Also, with the growth of TV outlets (ESPN, DirectTV, etc..), more people get to seem more teams; similarly with fantasy, they follow more teams closely. So its a different era, and less likely to have an "America's Team." But I can understand why the Cowboys would try to keep the flame alive.
what he said

Surprised Tom Landry and Sammy Baugh haven't really been mentioned much. Slingin Sammy passed away not too long ago and I don't think he lived all that far from the stadium either.

Users who are viewing this thread