What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Why do the leaves fall from the Trees? (1 Viewer)

Gravity. What we refer to as "falling" is just a less-massive object (a leaf) being pulled toward an object with greater mass (Earth).

I'm always intrigued how "why" can be interpreted differently. It's such a fascinating word. It can be about cause or purpose. I wonder if it says something about an individual when they assume one over the other.

Ok.

Why don't they fall in the Spring or Summer then?

:oldunsure:
Exactly. What, does gravity not exist in Spring or Summer? Of course it does, so gravity can't be answer for when they do fall. That's like blaming gravity for plane crashes.
During the spring and summer the earth is closer to the sun, which screws up the normal flow of gravity. (Obviously it works the other way in the southern hemisphere).

So, we have 7 mature oak trees in front of my house and they're beautiful. I'm not a tree hugger but these things are gorgeous. . . a HUGE PITA but I still love 'em. Anyway, they drop a metric TON of leaves. Leaves on the house, in the flower beds, in the garage, sidewalk, street, etc. My top tip for ya if you live in a similar situation. I have an old Honda lawnmower with a mulching blade. I mulch the leaves and then I run over the mulched leaves with the bag on. It saves hours and hours of work. Take that to the bank bromigos or whatever the bro saying thing is.

Ok.

Exactly. What, does gravity not exist in Spring or Summer? Of course it does, so gravity can't be answer for when they do fall. That's like blaming gravity for plane crashes.
During the spring and summer the earth is closer to the sun, which screws up the normal flow of gravity. (Obviously it works the other way in the southern hemisphere).
Admittedly I don't have an in-depth knowledge of gravity (I slept through most of high school). Are you saying gravity is what detaches the leaf from the tree? In the Fall, the gravity is strong enough to pull the leaf off but in Spring and Summer it isn't?

Ok.

Admittedly I don't have an in-depth knowledge of gravity (I slept through most of high school). Are you saying gravity is what detaches the leaf from the tree? In the Fall, the gravity is strong enough to pull the leaf off but in Spring and Summer it isn't?
Everybody knows that in the northern hemisphere, gravity is weaker in the summer and stronger in the winter. That's why we play baseball in the summer, so the ball can travel farther. I think it's called the Oreo-less effect but I'm not sure what it has to do with sandwich cookies.

Ok.

Everybody knows that in the northern hemisphere, gravity is weaker in the summer and stronger in the winter. That's why we play baseball in the summer, so the ball can travel farther. I think it's called the Oreo-less effect but I'm not sure what it has to do with sandwich cookies.
I've always assumed something was going on with the tree. That it is the tree letting go of the leaf and then, obviously, gravity pulls it to the ground once it is detached from the tree.

Ok.

I've always assumed something was going on with the tree. That it is the tree letting go of the leaf and then, obviously, gravity pulls it to the ground once it is detached from the tree.
This sounds reasonable.

Ok.

This not so much.

A deciduous tree does not so much lose its leaves as it gets rid of them by cutting them and letting them drop.

To do this, the tree grows a cell layer between the leaf stem and the branch called the "abscission" layer (the word derives from the Latin root for "cut"). The abscission layer behaves like a pair of scissors, pushing against the stem and cutting the leaf off. The cut is then sealed so that no moisture can be lost during the winter.

But that's just off the top of my head.

So, we have 7 mature oak trees in front of my house and they're beautiful. I'm not a tree hugger but these things are gorgeous. . . a HUGE PITA but I still love 'em. Anyway, they drop a metric TON of leaves. Leaves on the house, in the flower beds, in the garage, sidewalk, street, etc. My top tip for ya if you live in a similar situation. I have an old Honda lawnmower with a mulching blade. I mulch the leaves and then I run over the mulched leaves with the bag on. It saves hours and hours of work. Take that to the bank bromigos or whatever the bro saying thing is.
Leave the leaves! https://xerces.org/blog/leave-the-leaves

I have more trees than can be counted. The first year we moved here my wife asked the neighbor about raking and bagging. He couldn't stop laughing. I definitely leave the leaves.

Leave the leaves! https://xerces.org/blog/leave-the-leaves

I have more trees than can be counted. The first year we moved here my wife asked the neighbor about raking and bagging. He couldn't stop laughing. I definitely leave the leaves.

I had the same thought so one year I did that. I said "screw it, I'm going to ignore the leaves and deal with it in the spring." The problem is that it's an absolute nightmare. Leaves under the snow, so when you go to shovel the snow you're shoveling frozen leaves and, I mean, that's fun. The leaves clog the drains and sewers so then melting snow backs up and freezes and that's pretty fun. But the biggest problem I had, is that where I left the larger clumps of leaves ALL the grass under those large clumps of leaves killed the grass. So the leaves didn't break down, they just laid there on top of the grass making sure to smother the grass under the leaves thus killing large areas of the yard. I forgot, I also had the worst infestation of voles and rabbits that year so I to spend that year killing voles and filling rabbit holes. But so after all that I had to plant grass seed and grow new grass and look at big giant bald spots in the yard and that was fun.

And, then lastly, since the giant wet clumps of leaves didn't go anywhere, I still had to clean up the leaves in the spring time. . . and so that was pretty fun too. No more leaving the leaves for me.

Last edited:
A deciduous tree does not so much lose its leaves as it gets rid of them by cutting them and letting them drop.

To do this, the tree grows a cell layer between the leaf stem and the branch called the "abscission" layer (the word derives from the Latin root for "cut"). The abscission layer behaves like a pair of scissors, pushing against the stem and cutting the leaf off. The cut is then sealed so that no moisture can be lost during the winter.

But that does not answer the question of why do they fall. It's gravity my guy. 9.8 m/s^2 on this planet.

But that does not answer the question of why do they fall. It's gravity my guy. 9.8 m/s^2 on this planet.
I posit a different theory. There is no gravity - the earth sucks.

Users who are viewing this thread