What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Why do people think McDaniels will be a good HC? (1 Viewer)

steelers1080

Footballguy
He wasn't a good Head Coach in Denver. His players didn't trust him and then he most recently had this debacle with Indy. Some people are just good Coordinators and not good head coaches, I'm not sure why people think he's going to come in and save a team. Already seeing articles about him coming to the Browns and turning the whole franchise around. 

Belichick didn’t exactly thrive in Cleveland before he moved on to NE. Prior failure doesn’t always limit future success. 

And I’m not sure McDaniels would want to coach Cleveland. Scuttlebutt has him getting dibs on the Pats once B.B. calls it a day. He’s already getting paid more than most rookie head coaches. I’m not sure he would be that eager to move on from the Pats. 

Belichick didn’t exactly thrive in Cleveland before he moved on to NE. Prior failure doesn’t always limit future success. 

And I’m not sure McDaniels would want to coach Cleveland. Scuttlebutt has him getting dibs on the Pats once B.B. calls it a day. He’s already getting paid more than most rookie head coaches. I’m not sure he would be that eager to move on from the Pats. 
this

What people?

I must have missed it... I didn't think anyone could approach McDaniels until February.

Last edited by a moderator:

This true?  Can't find a link on all coaches salaries but I'd be surprised if any head coach is making less than 4 M/yr

Why not? It shows terrible judgement and not someone who can be counted on. He hired staff who moved families and took the Colts out of contention for other candidates.
And, yes, I may be a little bitter because it enabled them to take Reich. :)

I thought most of his failure in Denver was due to his personnel decisions. He blew up the roster, traded away Cutler and Marshall and traded up to pick Tebow. 

Obviously we won't ever know but he probably would have been more successful if they didn't give a 33 year old first year coach full roster control.

He wasn't a good Head Coach in Denver.
That really doesn't begin to describe it. He went to war against his players, made moves that hurt the team to satisfy his ego, and was awful.

The minute he's out from under anyone else's control (Belichick at this time) he'll revert to what he was in Denver. Frankly I think that's why he stayed in NE --- he knows that's what will happen.

Maybe most regular people don't think he is a good HC candidate, but there's already articles popping up about how he should be the next head coach of Cleveland, or Tampa, or Cincy.  It could just be the talking heads trying to get clicks, but there seems to be a consensus that he's a top coaching candidate, and I would have 0 interest in my team hiring him if the opportunity arose.

That really doesn't begin to describe it. He went to war against his players, made moves that hurt the team to satisfy his ego, and was awful.

The minute he's out from under anyone else's control (Belichick at this time) he'll revert to what he was in Denver. Frankly I think that's why he stayed in NE --- he knows that's what will happen.
Exactly 

He's not a good leader as a Head Coach
-It's possible that Alex Leatherwood is as bad as McDaniels would have you believe but it also was a big slap across the face of the team that hired him.
1st Rd pick 17th overall a year ago and you cut him. I think it was mostly because he wanted to try and show everyone he was the boss.
McDaniels is going run a dictatorship wether you like it or not, that's what he brought over from Belichick apparently.

When this happened, I wondered how long before other big names would be sent on their way and Carr also falls to McDaniels' Guillotine
This is why hiring a guy like him is dangerous, he wants to gut the team and be the boss, make sure the leaders of the team all bow to him.
The Raiders made the playoffs with numerous distractions the year before he arrived
They have made a huge mistake hiring him and McDaniels is happy to take their money
You either do it his way or the highway and I wonder how long he can keep this charade up.

I hate this guy and I would never want to suit up for him, certainly wouldn't trust him.
I am shocked this owner hired him and I wonder how long he will let McDaniels continue to run them into the ground
Where is the silver lining here for the Raiders? How much are they going to net for a 3-time, make that 4-time Pro Bowl QB?
Carr will attend the Pro bowl and they basically separated him from the team the final 2 weeks.

We have a **** ton of good Raiders fans in here that deserve better or should hear the truth from folks who don't root for the team.
I resurrected this thread and found several others I might like to bump to prove a point about the track record of one Josh McDaniels, he'll create a mess and then run away.

-He is the highest paid coach to have a losing record
$10M a year gets you a .400 record
Kyle Shanahan gets $10M, he's got 3 trips to the NFCC since 2018

Last edited:
Silver lining for raiders fans? We’ve been at the very bottom for over 20 years so were not expecting much at all. Misery is where we live.

-It's possible that Alex Leatherwood is as bad as McDaniels would have you believe but it also was a big slap across the face of the team that hired him.
1st Rd pick 17th overall a year ago and you cut him. I think it was mostly because he wanted to try and show everyone he was the boss.
McDaniels is going run a dictatorship wether you like it or not, that's what he brought over from Belichick apparently.

When this happened, I wondered how long before other big names would be sent on their way and Carr also falls to McDaniels' Guillotine
This is why hiring a guy like him is dangerous, he wants to gut the team and be the boss, make sure the leaders of the team all bow to him.
The Raiders made the playoffs with numerous distractions the year before he arrived
They have made a huge mistake hiring him and McDaniels is happy to take their money
You either do it his way or the highway and I wonder how long he can keep this charade up.

I hate this guy and I would never want to suit up for him, certainly wouldn't trust him.
I am shocked this owner hired him and I wonder how long he will let McDaniels continue to run them into the ground
Where is the silver lining here for the Raiders? How much are they going to net for a 3-time, make that 4-time Pro Bowl QB?
Carr will attend the Pro bowl and they basically separated him from the team the final 2 weeks.

We have a **** ton of good Raiders fans in here that deserve better or should hear the truth from folks who don't root for the team.
I resurrected this thread and found several others I might like to bump to prove a point about the track record of one Josh McDaniels, he'll create a mess and then run away.

Plus, Shanahan took over an absolutely horrendous roster in 2017. McDaniel took over a decent roster with the Raiders

If the Raiders finish as bottom dwellers this year, everyone in the world (possibly except for Mark Davis) will pass final judgement on his capacity to succeed as a head coach. The seat is not hot...its rigged with an atomic bomb.

LOL have a buddy down here who's a big Raider fan and HATES McDaniel with a passion. Almost wants the Raiders to lose so he can get canned. Its like the Mike Wannstadt Miami Dolphins.

As a Raiders fan who was disgusted with the Carr dismissal (method, not the decision to move on) and the tying of hips to Jimmy Glass... As a Raiders fan who has regularly been calling him Josh McDonald's for months now,

I am actually cautiously optimistic about the team and the regime heading into week 1 this year. Their first two drafts and free agency periods have been remarkably fruitful, especially at the back-ends where the best teams in the league regularly create the necessary value-priced depth required to make playoff runs each year. The Raiders roster right now has a bunch of young guys making plays and standing out and pushing for roster spots on this team (or another). They will be cutting quality OL and DL next week, which is crazy, not only for them, but also considering how desperate it seems every team in the league is right now for those positions. And it's not just OL/DL. They've quietly stockpiled a bunch of hungry young dudes at every position of need and that competition has been standing out in camp and preseason.

I honestly can't recall ever seeing that from a Raiders team in 30+ years as a fan. Even when Al's flame had one last surge during the first Gruden regime, the roster was top-heavy with aging high-priced vets and that proved problematic each of those years, with core players even having to play games with metal plates in tibias b/c the team had little in reserve.

And the cap stone right now is the 4th-round rookie QB who is looking like an ice-veined 10-yr vet when he plays (albeit against preseason defenses, but still the kid is making some bigtime throws out there). Keep Aiden O'Connell on your radar for when Jimmy takes his eventually lump this season.

All of the above could just mean that Dave Ziegler is a solid GM, with Josh still actually McDonald's. We shall see, but there is some reason for hope right now based on the current vibe of this team. I know, I know, all teams are confident in August. Not true. There are plenty of teams out there right now who are already hopeless. Raider fans who have been paying attention since camp opened have plenty of reason right now to be cautiously hopeful. Now, for the purposes of this thread, we need to see McDaniels actually coach up this group into something of a contender.

The hatred for this guy is hysterical. McDaniels is a jerk, big deal. The only place with a higher percentage of jerks than the NFL is Jamaica. Get it?!?!? :bowtie:

"Because, because...Denver 'n'stuff"

I wonder if 46 year old MoP would have wisdom to impart to 33 year old MoP.

2021 was a fluke. A tragic, beautiful fluke. The Raiders offense was better by most every metric in 2022. Writing off McDaniels at this point is some weird vendetta.

mcdaniels showed me he was the right coach for my team when he got rid of carr after one season, instead of letting the coach killer stay on for another 2.

:popcorn:

The hatred for this guy is hysterical. McDaniels is a jerk, big deal. The only place with a higher percentage of jerks than the NFL is Jamaica. Get it?!?!? :bowtie:

"Because, because...Denver 'n'stuff"

I wonder if 46 year old MoP would have wisdom to impart to 33 year old MoP.

2021 was a fluke. A tragic, beautiful fluke. The Raiders offense was better by most every metric in 2022. Writing off McDaniels at this point is some weird vendetta.
Being a jerk gets you fired quickly when things go south.

Users who are viewing this thread