What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Why Do People Say They "Hate" Obama? (1 Viewer)

The president immediately prior to Obama was widely hated in certain corners of the internet.  Bush was literally Hitler, and there was also a little meme about comparing his facial expressions with those of chimpanzees.  We're not talking about reasoned objections to his proposed Social Security reforms here.
Fake news. Bush was adored by the press and respected as a great man of integrity and honor by his peers on the other side of the isle. I have no recollection of this alternate universe you speak of. 

Politics and political debate does breed passion, sometimes toxic passions.  I did not like some of Obama's policies.  I did not like some of his political maneuvers.  I occasionally found his bearing or carriage arrogant when he would do that nose up, gaze off into the future pose he favored.  That said, I suspect I could have been convivial with him watching a game, having a beer, and eating some hot wings.  I suspect he would have been engaging back and would have endeavored to make me feel welcome.  He was mostly a gracious man with an occasional edge, but then who is not?

I remember serious debates among my liberal friends about how much Bush was similar to Hitler. So silly. 

But that was nothing compared to Bill Clinton. Talk radio had a field day telling lies which I believe contributed to Hillary’s defeat in 2016. Murder of Vince Foster, Troopergate, cocaine smuggling from Mena, Arkansas, lists of people Hillary ordered killed, it was unbelievable. 
Both were bipedal carbon based life forms unable to rock a proper mustache.  Also neither have every been in my kitchen or in a Coen Bros. movie.

We had a poster who stated he wished every night Obama would pass away.  We had posters spreading complete conspiracy theories about Obama being born in Kenya and faking his college years.  Plenty of hate around here.
But you say...it didn't say actual hate.  And since the topic was worded that way and said several...it must be nitpicked to death rather than getting to the gist of the question as to why some hated or disliked him so much to say what was said about him.

Similar to what happened again in the Trump 2020 thread when opiates gets brought up...have to be careful not to exaggerate any point or that part will be nitpicked rather than the meat of the issue.

James Daulton said:
I understand not liking his policies, but I don't understand how anyone could outright hate Obama.  Yet several of our regular Trump supporters on this bored have claimed to hate him.

What did he do to garner hate?
nobody should say that, no more so than saying that they hate Trump

try hard not to "hate" ... with hate comes the destruction of your soul IMO

anyway, this Trump hate will, IMO, result in Democrats failing in 2020. Voters don't want to see this any more, attack the policies, not the person. IMO

Interestingly I had this discussion with my father-in-law like 6 months ago (and probably referenced it in a post). 

My FIL is one of the kindest, hardest-working people I know. He grew up in the same Kentucky town as that kid that made national news to provide you a semblance of his background. He's also a small business owner and attends church regularly. However, while he's a Republican that voted for Trump, he is more than willing to sit down and have a respectful conversation over a beer with somebody who thinks differently and he's not dismissive or judgmental.  I really respect that about him. 

The above stated he made a comment that took me way off guard.  He told me he'd refuse a beer with Obama (on the heels of me joking that I'd have a beer with Trump if he actually drank). I assumed he was joking.  He told me he wasn't and that he believes Obama attempted to make the country worse.  He expounded that he believes that Obama hates the US. He even conceded that he thinks there may be something to the birtherism and Muslim accusations.

I didn't know what to say.  I had never heard him talk this way about anybody before.  I couldn't square that with my sentiment that Obama, regardless of his politics, seems like a good guy and would be fun to have a beer with. All I can tell is that my FIL, after years of watching Fox News before and after work, has somehow been influenced by this. 

nobody should say that, no more so than saying that they hate Trump

try hard not to "hate" ... with hate comes the destruction of your soul IMO

anyway, this Trump hate will, IMO, result in Democrats failing in 2020. Voters don't want to see this any more, attack the policies, not the person. IMO
Completely agree. 

Would you agree that Trump should do the same to his political opponents?

The president immediately prior to Obama was widely hated in certain corners of the internet.  Bush was literally Hitler, and there was also a little meme about comparing his facial expressions with those of chimpanzees.  We're not talking about reasoned objections to his proposed Social Security reforms here.
Don't disagree with you.  A friend of mine in law school told me she thought Bush was a worse person than Bin Laden, Hussein, or Pol Pot. I told her she was nuts. Bush, despite his faults, seemed like he did genuinely want to do the right thing. 

Don't disagree with you.  A friend of mine in law school told me she thought Bush was a worse person than Bin Laden, Hussein, or Pol Pot. I told her she was nuts. Bush, despite his faults, seemed like he did genuinely want to do the right thing. 
His “you are with me or you are with them” stuff was pretty terrible. That was definitely the wrong thing. 

Interestingly I had this discussion with my father-in-law like 6 months ago (and probably referenced it in a post). 

My FIL is one of the kindest, hardest-working people I know. He grew up in the same Kentucky town as that kid that made national news to provide you a semblance of his background. He's also a small business owner and attends church regularly. However, while he's a Republican that voted for Trump, he is more than willing to sit down and have a respectful conversation over a beer with somebody who thinks differently and he's not dismissive or judgmental.  I really respect that about him. 

The above stated he made a comment that took me way off guard.  He told me he'd refuse a beer with Obama (on the heels of me joking that I'd have a beer with Trump if he actually drank). I assumed he was joking.  He told me he wasn't and that he believes Obama attempted to make the country worse.  He expounded that he believes that Obama hates the US. He even conceded that he thinks there may be something to the birtherism and Muslim accusations.

I didn't know what to say.  I had never heard him talk this way about anybody before.  I couldn't square that with my sentiment that Obama, regardless of his politics, seems like a good guy and would be fun to have a beer with. All I can tell is that my FIL, after years of watching Fox News before and after work, has somehow been influenced by this. 
Your FIL, sounds like my Dad. 

I've come to the conclusion that my father is probably racist. I try to respectfully correct him when possible. But, he's not going to change his ways after 78 years. 

His “you are with me or you are with them” stuff was pretty terrible. That was definitely the wrong thing. 
No doubt.  And many good people say and do some terrible stuff. I just think that Bush falls into that category* whereas a Pol Pot is a horrible human being.

*Of course I could be remembering him even more fondly now because relative to Trump he's Mother Theresa. 

Your FIL, sounds like my Dad. 

I've come to the conclusion that my father is probably racist. I try to respectfully correct him when possible. But, he's not going to change his ways after 78 years. 
But I don't think he is - at least to the extent that he'd dislike Obama only because of his skin color. I say this because my FIL's own father and FIL were raging racists and I've seen firsthand that my FIL strives to be different and, I suppose this conversation aside, I've never seen any overt racism from him. As such, I think he'd be ever more careful to not dislike a president due to race and/or if he did, keep quiet about it.  So, I can only conclude, since he's very open and adamant about his hatred of Obama, that it's not overtly race related. 

But I don't think he is - at least to the extent that he'd dislike Obama only because of his skin color. I say this because my FIL's own father and FIL were raging racists and I've seen firsthand that my FIL strives to be different and, I suppose this conversation aside, I've never seen any overt racism from him. As such, I think he'd be ever more careful to not dislike a president due to race and/or if he did, keep quiet about it.  So, I can only conclude, since he's very open and adamant about his hatred of Obama, that it's not overtly race related. 
I get what you're saying. Maybe he's not. Just sharing the realization I had with my father and his hatred for Obama without any real cause. He wanted all the rumors about him to be true. I think that's the difference. 

My statement was relevant to the posts I was replying to.  Take this bad shtick elsewhere.
The post you replied to cited the OP:

“Well the OP made it a point to lump "regular Trump supporters on this bored" as the hate mongers so anything else is kind of irrelevant”

and then you said,  

“not really”

It’s not schtick.  I don’t do schtick.  You were wrong.  And continue to be.  

No doubt.  And many good people say and do some terrible stuff. I just think that Bush falls into that category* whereas a Pol Pot is a horrible human being.

*Of course I could be remembering him even more fondly now because relative to Trump he's Mother Theresa. 
Comparing him to Pol Pot, Hitler, Stalin etc is crazy.

The post you replied to cited the OP:

“Well the OP made it a point to lump "regular Trump supporters on this bored" as the hate mongers so anything else is kind of irrelevant”

and then you said,  

“not really”

It’s not schtick.  I don’t do schtick.  You were wrong.  And continue to be.  
My posts were more relevant to the topic than yours.  At least before you and Megla decided to do board cop trolling to obsufcate from the OP's question about Obama hate.

My posts were more relevant to the topic than yours.  At least before you and Megla decided to do board cop trolling to obsufcate from the OP's question about Obama hate.
Nope.  You were wrong.  You continue to be wrong.  You’re now trying to move the argument and I’m not interested.  I’m not a board cop, I’m not a troll.  You simply got called out for being wrong.  Accept it.  Or don’t.  I don’t really care.  

Have a great weekend.

Nope.  You were wrong.  You continue to be wrong.  You’re now trying to move the argument and I’m not interested.  I’m not a board cop, I’m not a troll.  You simply got called out for being wrong.  Accept it.  Or don’t.  I don’t really care.  

Have a great weekend.
If you don't care so much, don't keep on to ridiculous distraction from the OP's question. You guys will latch onto everything but the subject matter

If you don't care so much, don't keep on to ridiculous distraction from the OP's question. You guys will latch onto everything but the subject matter
To be fair, if you would have read the OP you wouldn't be off on this tangent.  You posted about Obama in 2014, then pivoted to your post being relevant to the post you responded to, then pivoted to your post being more relevant than his.  You're 0/3 so far.

To be fair, if you would have read the OP you wouldn't be off on this tangent.  You posted about Obama in 2014, then pivoted to your post being relevant to the post you responded to, then pivoted to your post being more relevant than his.  You're 0/3 so far.
I made a post about real topics raised in the OP.  You, and the people that liked this pitiful post, are trying to obfuscate the real disaster in the White House you support. 

I responded to a particular post in this thread that was consistent with the OP.  You guys just will do any but talk about actual topics. 

I responded to a particular post in this thread that was consistent with the OP.  You guys just will do any but talk about actual topics.  

Not going to rehash it so I don’t get banned again but I said no single group should determine the president.  Kind of like why the electoral college was created.

Maybe be a wee less sensitive?
Like creating a thread about one person hating Obama from years ago?

Users who are viewing this thread