What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Who is the keeper league a**hole? (1 Viewer)

ivargas

Footballguy
I was invited to this 40 dollar 4 keeper league last year, and got a team left by someone who quit. I made a juggernaut squad that cruised to the treble (league trophy, first place regular season, most points).

I had one of my keeper-worthy WRs out for the season, and someone out of contention offered a replacement WR for him for my playoff run in a trade, which I rejected, thinking long term.

Two days ago, when they activated the league, I made multiple trade offers to 4 teams, as I have at least 6 keeper worthy players.

Then today, 4 days before the draft, someone out of nowhere says that 4 keepers is boring, they made a poll, and 5 of the 10 league members voted to reduce keepers to 3 (there were 3 options: 2 keepers (2 votes), 3 keepers (5 votes) and 4 keepers (3 votes). I mentioned my IR WR declined trade and my keeper trade proposals, to show how I've been planning long term, and even agreed to accepting reducing to three keepers starting on next season (2024). But they made the change now anyway.

They claim they've been considering this for years, but no one had even mentioned it in the year that I've been there. Finally, I quit, as I think it's unacceptable to make a change like that, even if it's a friendly low stakes league. I would have very good selections for 3 keepers too, but it's a matter of principle to me.

Am I the A**hole?

So the league rules allow for rules to be changed for the upcoming season about a week before the season is to start, and doesn't require at least a majority vote to actually pass? That's nuts.

If it was spelled out/previously known in the rules that they could be changed like that then I guess you might be a little bit of an a-hole, but I don't blame you at all for walking away.

I get what you are saying but one keeper isn't going to appreciably change anything. In a perfect world it should take a majority of league members to change a rule (having three choices always causes issues with that but if we do something like that the top two vote getters, if there wasn't a majority of league members on any one choice, would have a vote off to get a majority vote). That being said, if that is the way the league works and rules are that way nothing really to argue.

Secondly, something like this would typically be instituted the following year so people can plan for the change but it's not the end of the world to do it this year. It's one keeper. It's not like they went from none to 15 keepers.

Your biggest complaint is that you didn't trade an IR player last year to improve your team that won the "treble"? Who cares? You won anyway. No harm no foul. So you can't keep your #4 best keeper player. It won't make or break you. Just let it go and have fun. Voice your concerns about not getting a majority and not waiting a year to institute the new rule and move on. Now if more shady stuff happens throughout the year or next off season and it becomes a pattern then I can understand leaving. But to leave over this isolated case that doesn't really materially change anything is kind of being a baby about it.

So bottom line, you completely overreacted but the league didn't really handle it in the best way possible. Enough blame to go around for everyone.

Users who are viewing this thread