What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Who is Brandon Bolden (3 Viewers)

I'm hanging onto him. He'll still be the Patriots top choice in the passing game, and will be worth a start as a desperation play in the event of injuries/bye weeks.

Then again, if there was a good WW option on the wire this week, I may have a different opinion.

I'm hanging onto him. He'll still be the Patriots top choice in the passing game, and will be worth a start as a desperation play in the event of injuries/bye weeks.

Then again, if there was a good WW option on the wire this week, I may have a different opinion.
He is my favorite of the RBs as he was the guy used at the GL mostly, that has value but still hard to start him after weeks like this.

You will have to have some patience with Bolden. He was limited in practice the week, and expecting him to replicate Week #3 on such limited touches is not very realistic. Once he gets a full week of practice under his belt, I would expect Bolden to become more involved, and he is a superior receiver to either Ridley or Blount, so he will get some turns in this offense. There is an outside chance that Bolden carves out an even larger role in the offense, but for now I think it is safe to assume this is a RBBC situation, with Ridley getting the lion's share of carries, Bolden playing the part of receiving back, and Blount being used heavily in clock-control situations. This is a fluid situation, however.

Bolden or Ridley? Which guy would you roll with tonight?
Rolling w/ Bolden (and have both) - 14 team league no ppr. Unless he's inactive of course. My reasoning is 1. Ridley has sucked at about 3 ypc. 2. I think this game will be high scoring and 3. BB and McDaniels have to be looking at the production of the two of them and it's not even close.

So, this will be the week Ridley goes off. On my bench.
I've picked up Bolden and dealt away Ridley, but I think there's actually some chance this happens. ATL is vulnerable to the power rush. I expect Bolden will be better against bigger teams with strong run-defense (bengals types) where they resort to dumpoffs as extended handoffs, and Ridley is better against teams who can be run on. Although, OTOH, the high-scoring/dome/trackmeet/turf aspect of this game does point to Bolden. I think Bolden is viable but if I could choose between them I'd still go with Ridley.
Sigh... you were right. It only cost me 5 pts, and Jimmy Graham saved my ### last night to pull out the win. 6 more inches at the goal line would have made it a good call though.

This has to be the worst 3 headed RBBC in the league right now w/ blount getting his share consistently now. And I'm sitting on 2/3 of it. FML.

This has to be the worst 3 headed RBBC in the league right now w/ blount getting his share consistently now. And I'm sitting on 2/3 of it. FML.
You, sir, have not met the St. Louis Rams.

I think Blount and Ridley cancel each other out with similar skill sets. I still think there's room for Bolden. I like his prospects better this week against a tough Cincy D that should stiffle Ridley/Blount in the traditional running game. Hopefully they shift away from power rush and let Brady check down to Bolden a half dozen times.

meh... the difference is there's value in the 3 headed (4 if you count vereen) RBBC in NE. Maybe not stat wise thus far this season, but they actually move the ball and score points. Maybe not like years past w/ Brady, but they're 4-0 and improving w/ new faces and their "stars" coming back soon (allegedly).

At this point if Richardson was the true #1 in STL I don't think I'd start him. That offense is brutal and OC schottenheimer is worse. NE is worse b/c owners are compelled to play them IMO. Especially in deeper leagues like mine (14 teams +)

Last edited by a moderator:
Want to give MJD one last chance but me too I think this would be a good game for Bolden. If Ridley sits again then Bolden will be in my lineup.

SaintsInDome2006 said:
Let's revisit:

week 3, 100 total yards, 5 catches, 6 targets, had some problems in pass protection.

week 4, vs ATL, given the scoring this should have been better, he had a goal line TD reversed, got 3 red zone opportunities, he was open on maybe 1-2 TDs that could have been scores if Brady had thrown to him, he went out for a bit, 1 catch for a big loss, 17 total yards, bleckh.

week 5, 64 total yards, 6 receptions, 8 targets, no red zone chances, had a huge drop on a potentially big play - really a pretty decent day.

Given his chances he might be somewhat under the radar. I somewhat think the the Pats will be pushing to pass the ball down the field to keep up with the Saints, at home, this could be a good start for him.
I agree.

Bolden is still not fully recovered; nevertheless, he has still been getting a fair amount of work. In Week 4, he re-tweaked his knee, I believe, and that may be reflected in his stats. In PPR formats, I like Bolden quite a bit, and he brings the added dimension that he may also be used as the GL back.

Bolden has been a limited participant in practice again this week, but I am not aware of any setbacks. Last week, Blount didn't inspire, and he had a fumble. Ridley should be back in action this week, but he has also been limited in practice, and his struggles this season have been well documented. Bolden's versatility could vault him to the front of this pack in what has the potential to turn into a high-scoring game. I like Bolden's chances to produce solid numbers.

He should continue to be a serviceable passing down RB at least until Vereen returns. But don't forget that the return of the Gronk is imminent and he will command touches and targets.

Interesting, after Ridley's Week 6 game:

Patriots Week #7 RB snap counts: Brandon Bolden 49 (9 touches), Stevan Ridley 28 (13 touches), LeGarrette Blount 2 (1 touch).

New England beat writer Mike Reiss commented on Twitter that the split is the result of an "up-tempo game plan out of 3 WR package", referring to Bolden as New England's "passing back".

Bolden is still not fully recovered from his knee injury, but has shown glimpses of being a quality back. I still think it is too early to dump Bolden, although with Vereen's return approaching, Bolden needs to demonstrate now that he can be a productive piece of this offense.

Dropped him . . . Maybe it was too early, and with Ridley back and (relatively) healthy - I saw little use for Bolden . . .

Dropped him . . . Maybe it was too early, and with Ridley back and (relatively) healthy - I saw little use for Bolden . . .
I dropped Bolden too last week. I figure owning Ridley is enough Belichick-induced RB stress for one team. If Bolden can stay healthy & maintain a role when Vereen comes back, so be it. Then it will be a 4 headed RB monster.

Been holding Bolden for a few weeks. It seems to me that there is a short window starting now, before Vereen returns, where the offense is competent enough to create some value, thanks largely to Gronk. He will get some scoring chances in the next couple of weeks even if Ridley has a big share of the job. If they get Gronk and Amendola on the field again, it may look downright efficient again. As a Vereen owner, I look forward to a handoff to the rested and healthy Vereen, and expect Bolden to be relegated to mop-up duty.

I have changed course. I picked him back up to start this week.

Why? Because this past Sunday he was on the field 63% of the time, which is extremely high for a NE back this year. Yes, I know I was probably because of the specific gameplan vs the excellent run defense of the Jets, but hopefully with Gronk back , they will keep airing it out, and Bolden is the passing downs back until Vereen is healthy. Bolden may be a good starter until then.

The Jets are also excellent in defending passes to RBs, so that may explain the lack of receptions this past Sunday.

So far this season, Miami has allowed 40 receptions for 366 yards to backs out of the backfield, setting Bolden up as a potentially good PPR play this week. That said, trying to forecast Coach Belichick's offensive gameplan is an exercise in futility. It would not surprise me in the least if we see a heavy dose of Ridley this week, and the snap-count percentage from last week is reversed.

I am not sure what, if anything, can be gleaned from this, but in his 4 games against Miami, Ridley has 52 carries for 209 yards (4.0 ypc) and 3 TDs -- hardly stellar, but efficient (Per game average: 13 carries for 52 yards and 0.75 TD).

socrates said:
So far this season, Miami has allowed 40 receptions for 366 yards to backs out of the backfield, setting Bolden up as a potentially good PPR play this week. That said, trying to forecast Coach Belichick's offensive gameplan is an exercise in futility. It would not surprise me in the least if we see a heavy dose of Ridley this week, and the snap-count percentage from last week is reversed.

I am not sure what, if anything, can be gleaned from this, but in his 4 games against Miami, Ridley has 52 carries for 209 yards (4.0 ypc) and 3 TDs -- hardly stellar, but efficient (Per game average: 13 carries for 52 yards and 0.75 TD).
This is my thinking as well. I picked him up for this game only. Bad bye week issues. For those that care.

socrates said:

This is my thinking as well. I picked him up for this game only. Bad bye week issues. For those that care.
I have Powell and don't know what to do. Bolden is available on my WW.

I’m thinking about starting Bolden in a flex this week but that would mean I start him and Ridley however my next best player for the flex this week is Patterson (Vikings WR) …it’s a return yards league

SaintsInDome2006 said:
I gave up - started him he pooped, sat him he played well, basically a roulette wheel.
I'm sure it's just a coincidence but in a ppr league every other week is a good week.

This would be his bad. I'm hoping not this time.

Had a TD overturned, but it's just impossible to figure out the situation from week to week. Only 3 carries (all went for over 10 yards) with zero receptions in a game where they scored 55 points and Ridley fumbled.

Had a TD overturned, but it's just impossible to figure out the situation from week to week. Only 3 carries (all went for over 10 yards) with zero receptions in a game where they scored 55 points and Ridley fumbled.
With Vereen coming back I wouldn't hold my breath on him.

Welp - Ridley fumbled, again. Bolden played extended time last night in one of the best comebacks we've seen the Pats put together.

Is there a legit pecking order change here? Bolden worth a roster spot now?

ETA - I like his talent and skillset. If I thought for sure the Pats woud use him in the RB rotation with Vereen, I think he's absolutely worth a spot. Question is what happens with Ridley and Blount moving forward? Is it Bolden's until he screws up?

Welp - Ridley fumbled, again. Bolden played extended time last night in one of the best comebacks we've seen the Pats put together.

Is there a legit pecking order change here? Bolden worth a roster spot now?

ETA - I like his talent and skillset. If I thought for sure the Pats woud use him in the RB rotation with Vereen, I think he's absolutely worth a spot. Question is what happens with Ridley and Blount moving forward? Is it Bolden's until he screws up?
The only thing we know about NE RBs is that Vereen is useful in ppr leagues as a rb2 or flex. Outside of that, crap shoot.

I don't know. I am pretty desperate, but we have been down this road before. I think vereen is the best play but who knows

My guess is they will bring up Jonas Gray from the PS to replace Ridley. Bolden will continue his backup and ST role. He is simply not an every down back. Gray looked solid in preseason and is more of a complete back.

On a side note, I feel really bad for Ridley. Love that kid's style of play and feel he gets abused waaaaay too much for fumbles by Boston fans and media. To have this type of injury in a contract year is devastating. I really hope he comes back to NE or elsewhere on a one-year deal and excels so he can get a big contract somewhere. He deserves it.

My guess is they will bring up Jonas Gray from the PS to replace Ridley. Bolden will continue his backup and ST role. He is simply not an every down back. Gray looked solid in preseason and is more of a complete back.

On a side note, I feel really bad for Ridley. Love that kid's style of play and feel he gets abused waaaaay too much for fumbles by Boston fans and media. To have this type of injury in a contract year is devastating. I really hope he comes back to NE or elsewhere on a one-year deal and excels so he can get a big contract somewhere. He deserves it.
Not James White?

Not James White?
No. White is more a COP back and has not looked good IMO.

Are we really going to overthink this one as much as we did with Denver?

Looks like Bolden is the guy that benefit the most w/ Vereen continuing in a similar role, if not with a few more touches.

Yep, Bolden will be the primary ball carrier Thursday with Vereen mixed in. White and Gray probably active and may see the field.

Completely misread the Denver situation… let's take some stabs at this one.

Some writers and football analysts as well said Jonas Gray looked like the best between-the-tackles guy in preseason. On the PS, so if Ridley is truly done for the year, he's likely brought up. Still, Bolden obviously offered them something to earn the roster spot ahead of Gray, right? Especially considering Bolden didn't even play most of the preseason.

I think Vereen's a legit play, but I doubt his role changes that much given what we know - they sure don't seem to view Vereen as a between-the-tackles guy. I'd question whether they see that for White - sure didn't seem like it in the preseason.

Thus, Bolden and Gray *seem* most likely to benefit from the Ridley injury. Those that side with Bolden making the team due to special teams value may go Gray. Those that fear over thinking it will certainly grab Bolden. Theoretically they could all cancel each other out, but it's a productive enough offense and a sizable enough role to have a Blount-like emergence here.

Place your bets.

White was pimped by all including the dark lord as a 3 down back.
and then the dark lord banished him to the realms of irrelevance on the PS.
he wasn't on the ps --- he just wasn't active most weeks because they didn't want to have 4 rb most games.

I'm not throwing dirt on ridley yet, but on the assumption he needs to be replaced I'd assume gray gets signed off the ps, then you have to figure out which of the 3 are active.

Rotoworld:

Brandon Bolden - RB - Patriots

Brandon Bolden is tentatively expected to start in the Stevan Ridley role Thursday night.

Beat writer Jeff Howe expects a rotation between Bolden, James White and Shane Vereen, with the Patriots riding a hot hand. Vereen is obviously the safest bet as we know his passing back role is intact and the Patriots have used him in some short-yardage situations before. Bolden is a desperation roll of the dice until we get some more clarity here.

Related: James White

Source: Jeff Howe on Twitter

Oct 16 - 9:35 AM

"Desperation roll of the dice"

He just described my fantasy team. I'm giving Bolden a go. If the weather gives the passing game trouble he could be a good start.

"Desperation roll of the dice"

He just described my fantasy team. I'm giving Bolden a go. If the weather gives the passing game trouble he could be a good start.
Rain or high wind forecast?

Pats seem to be one of the few teams where it doesn't terribly matter about weather.

I think this is a classic stay-away situation until we have some clarity (of course, that's easy for me to say since I own both Vereen and Bolden). The fact that people are talking up four different people suggests that no one really has any idea. And it's entirely possible that, even after tonight's game, we still won't have clarity.

I think this is a classic stay-away situation until we have some clarity (of course, that's easy for me to say since I own both Vereen and Bolden). The fact that people are talking up four different people suggests that no one really has any idea. And it's entirely possible that, even after tonight's game, we still won't have clarity.
The clarity might be we see the Pats start throwing a lot more.

I like Brian Tyms to give the Pats exactly what they have been needing and Gronk is staying healthy now. Vareen has always been a pass-catcher.

I added Bolden this week and it's down to him, Storm, or the Crow. Bolden Stormcrow sounds like a Game of Thrones Character.

Users who are viewing this thread