What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

What will be the Coronavirus’ impact on the global balance of power? (1 Viewer)

shader

Footballguy
Things are changing fast.  Probably at a rate we haven’t seen in decades.  (Certainly not in my lifetime) Every single nation is in the middle of unprecedented actions.  I wouldn’t put it past many governments to use this emergency as an excuse to grab power.

But the truth is that once this is over, some nations are going to be flat out broke and some will be unscathed.  How will that chance the balance of power?

Will the world come together as a response to this?  Will expansionist countries arise?  Will wars erupt over resources?  

A country like China (who thinks decades ahead) or Russia (who still has expansionist desires as they showed in Crimea) could be very dangerous if they decided to expand on a crippled world.

Well let’s look at history. Many economists seem to think that this situation will result in a world wide depression. So what happened the last time we had a world wide depression? 

You know what? Maybe it’s best not to look at history...

America has been more isolationist and nationalist in the last three years, so a vacuum was already forming.  Brexit was a similar step in Europe.  You can’t lead the community if you aren’t part of the community.  

We definitely aren’t leading the world in this - we don’t even have our own house in order.  Heck, the largest humanitarian efforts I’ve seen so far during this crisis are coming from the Chinese billionaire, Jack Ma.

Internal unrest actually seems more likely to me than conflict between countries.

Users who are viewing this thread