What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

What to do about our neighbor's pool pump? (1 Viewer)

gianmarco

Footballguy
Welp, here we go again with our infamous "tree" neighbor......

Since the tree issue and cable cutting issue, haven't really had anything else come up. Keep to ourselves, don't ever interact with each other and don't need to other than a wave if we happen to see each other. Still friendly. Haven't had any problems with the exception of a couple graduation parties during the summer a couple years ago where they were pretty loud still at 3am on a Sunday/Monday morning (music from pool playing pretty loud), but whatever, we let that go.

Well, one week ago, last Thursday night, about to go to sleep, it's 11pm and I'm still hearing this really loud constant droning noise. I get up because I thought it might be our HVAC or maybe something with our pool equipment or who knows. I finally get outside and realize it's coming from our neighbor's pool pump. Now, it's night so it's otherwise quiet, but it's pretty loud. And, of course, our bedroom is on the same side of the house as theirs and their pool equipment is on the side nearest our bedroom.

So, this continues all night and all through the next day. At like 5:30pm, I sent him a text asking if he realized the pump was much louder than it has ever been over the last 3-4 years and that something might be wrong with it. He texts back like an hour later saying along the lines of "I noticed it about a week ago, it's scheduled to be replaced on the 16th. I'm out of town but I'll try and turn it off remotely before I get back Sunday. Sorry about the noise".

Very nice, completely understandable. Well, he wasn't able to turn it off because we kept hearing it but, whatever, not the guy's fault, he'll be back in a couple days.

We've been listening to this now every day since then. He's been back, and while it's at least turning off at night now, it's still constant from 7am until later at night. On top of that, on Wednesday, it got even louder. I sent another text on Wednesday just asking if he can at least turn it off until it gets fixed on the 16th (yesterday). He responds, says he turned it off, he's sorry. Cool.

Heard it all day yesterday and now, today, still going on. So, I guess it was never fixed.

This thing is loud. I opened up a website on my phone that measures decibels and it's reading at over 90 decibels from our property. That's the equivalent of a power tool or hairdryer running next to you. Except it's all. day. long.

I was hoping it would be taken care of yesterday but now that's not the case, heading into a weekend, and getting really tired of listening to this nonstop. What's the play now? I get that it's not his fault the pump is faulty now and needs to be replaced and he can't dictate when it gets done, but he can at least just turn the pump off until it gets fixed. But, I've already sent two texts about this, so......

This is what it sounds like INSIDE our house, and this is in the middle, not even in our room where it's closer and even louder.

Code enforcement

Noise complaints
I know I could do that, but not interested. He's not being a jerk about it. Both texts from him were reasonable and apologetic. I don't want to send him yet another text asking him to turn off the pump but I think we've been pretty patient so far and dealt with this long enough. Maybe he doesn't realize it's on a timer and turning back on? I think he takes off for work earlier in the morning than 8, so maybe that's it?

Code enforcement

Noise complaints
I know I could do that, but not interested. He's not being a jerk about it. Both texts from him were reasonable and apologetic. I don't want to send him yet another text asking him to turn off the pump but I think we've been pretty patient so far and dealt with this long enough. Maybe he doesn't realize it's on a timer and turning back on? I think he takes off for work earlier in the morning than 8, so maybe that's it?
He is being jerk, but being polite while doing so. Southern charm

Code enforcement

Noise complaints
I think throwing a wrench into it would really thrown a wrench into the situation.

If you can get a picture of his poll-pump set-up, it will be easier to advise more specifically but for now:

1) If you can get your hands on sizeable carpet remnants, or some "soft" rugs (not something stiff like a doormat), you can probably partially cover the pump and tie it around loosely to secure it. You'd use some trial-and-error to figure out where best to tie down the noise-dampening carpet. Old picnic blankets, moving blankets (the kind that protect wood furniture in a U-haul, say), towels and maybe old sweaters or bed comforters ... all that can be used as well.

2) This would likely be in conjunction with (1): You can also place some old carpet (double layer would be best) or a foam pad underneath the pump if it's something you can pick up and move. A big flat piece of Styrofoam or a few flat pieces of cardboard could be used to make a noise-dampening pad as well.

EDIT: And, yes, you'll need his cooperation. But if you're willing to supply the material and do the heavy lifting, maybe he'll be amenable.

If you can get a picture of his poll-pump set-up, it will be easier to advise more specifically but for now:

1) If you can get your hands on sizeable carpet remnants, or some "soft" rugs (not something stiff like a doormat), you can probably partially cover the pump and tie it around loosely to secure it. You'd use some trial-and-error to figure out where best to tie down the noise-dampening carpet. Old picnic blankets, moving blankets (the kind that protect wood furniture in a U-haul, say), towels and maybe old sweaters or bed comforters ... all that can be used as well.

2) This would likely be in conjunction with (1): You can also place some old carpet (double layer would be best) or a foam pad underneath the pump if it's something you can pick up and move. A big flat piece of Styrofoam or a few flat pieces of cardboard could be used to make a noise-dampening pad as well.

EDIT: And, yes, you'll need his cooperation. But if you're willing to supply the material and do the heavy lifting, maybe he'll be amenable.
:lol: this is just a bit of overkill. Just remind him to turn it off again.

Hey heads up that your pump is still running all day while you’re at work. Maybe it’s on a timer? Just don’t want you to end up with a fire or something before it gets fixed. No luck on getting it fixed yesterday like you planned?
"Hey heads up that your pump is still running all day while you're at work and it's super annoying. No luck getting it fixed yet?"
The guy has no idea how much this is bugging you if you don't tell him. You don't have to be a D about it but at least communicate your thoughts.

Hey heads up that your pump is still running all day while you’re at work. Maybe it’s on a timer? Just don’t want you to end up with a fire or something before it gets fixed. No luck on getting it fixed yesterday like you planned?
"Hey heads up that your pump is still running all day while you're at work and it's super annoying. No luck getting it fixed yet?"
The guy has no idea how much this is bugging you if you don't tell him. You don't have to be a D about it but at least communicate your thoughts.
Eh that message is unnecessary. He obviously knows it’s bothering him or he wouldn’t keep texting about it.

After he replies to my original message I’d just say….apologies for continuing to ask, but the pump is right outside our bedroom and it’s becoming a bit much. Know you’re doing what you can and I appreciate that.

It likely has to run at least several hours of the day, each day every day, or else the pool water turns cloudy/green. Dampening the sound will allow that while neighbor replaces what could be a dying pool pump (depending on the source of the noise inside the unit).

@gianmarco , this same pump was not as loud, say, a month ago? Or last summer (assuming he had the same pump last summer)? The 90 dB noise is a recent development?

Noise above 70 dB over a prolonged period of time may start to damage your hearing. Loud noise above 120 dB can cause immediate harm to your ears.
Oh come on. The video he posted you can clearly hear birds chirping outside. How about close your windows and patio door if it’s starting to make you deaf. lol
Yeah, it's annoying, but my hearing is preserved :)

It sucks because we are having beautiful weather now, mid 60s in the morning, which we don't get very often, and like to keep the windows open but haven't been able to because of the noise.

That said, someone must be home because they turned it off a little bit ago.

It likely has to run at least several hours of the day, each day every day, or else the pool water turns cloudy/green. Dampening the sound will allow that while neighbor replaces what could be a dying pool pump (depending on the source of the noise inside the unit).

@gianmarco , this same pump was not as loud, say, a month ago? Or last summer (assuming he had the same pump last summer)? The 90 dB noise is a recent development?
Oh, nowhere near that loud. Never heard it before or at least never noticed it before last week.

Don't do this. Several of the possible issues that will cause that noise can generate considerable heat (bearing going out, extreme cavitation, etc.). You don't want to start a fire.

Noise above 70 dB over a prolonged period of time may start to damage your hearing. Loud noise above 120 dB can cause immediate harm to your ears.
Oh come on. The video he posted you can clearly hear birds chirping outside. How about close your windows and patio door if it’s starting to make you deaf. lol
Yeah, it's annoying, but my hearing is preserved :)

It sucks because we are having beautiful weather now, mid 60s in the morning, which we don't get very often, and like to keep the windows open but haven't been able to because of the noise.

That said, someone must be home because they turned it off a little bit ago.
alright, which fbg is your neighbor?

Don't do this. Several of the possible issues that will cause that noise can generate considerable heat (bearing going out, extreme cavitation, etc.). You don't want to start a fire.

The sound dampening has to be done judiciously, you are correct. You need to leave some open space to vent heat. You can't just heap a bunch of blankets on top of the pool pump. Also, in process of evaluating how/where to dampen the sound, you need to feel around for spots hot to the touch -- in experience with my own pool pumps (admittedly, not huge pools), they never got to where they felt too hot to keep a hand on.

Placing a pad underneath the pump, if possible, shouldn't be a fire hazard by itself and could make a big difference.

He lives next door... go over and talk to him about it in person. At least with me, sometimes texts don't carry the same weight as speaking in person.

Oh, nowhere near that loud. Never heard it before or at least never noticed it before last week.
OK. Knowing that, I for sure think Ron Swanson and culdeus are right and the pump (or at least a fixable component) is on its last legs. The noise may end up taking care of itself if your neighbor continues to drag his feet.

Can you go over and put him in a headlock and let him hear the recording?
Sure he probably needs to run it. You also need to stop your ears from bleeding.
Surprised it hasn’t burnt out.

Last edited:
Can you go over and put him in a headlock and let him hear the recording?
Sure he probably needs to run it hit. You also need to stop your ears from bleeding.
Surprised it hasn’t burnt out.
lol at have him listen the the recording. To me that recording sounds like a peaceful fan white noise with some birds chirping in the background. He might just fall asleep.

Don't assume ... maybe he does.
Have you considered the old "gasoline in a squirt gun" trick? ... shoot it out your bedroom window and right onto the noise making machinery.

Step 1: erect field goal posts
Step 2: cut his cable
Step 3: cut down his trees
Step 4: controlled detonate goal post to fall into pool equipment.
Step 5: wahlah

Since the tree issue and cable cutting issue, haven't really had anything else come up. Keep to ourselves, don't ever interact with each other and don't need to other than a wave if we happen to see each other. Still friendly. Haven't had any problems with the exception of a couple graduation parties during the summer a couple years ago where they were pretty loud still at 3am on a Sunday/Monday morning (music from pool playing pretty loud), but whatever, we let that go.

Well, one week ago, last Thursday night, about to go to sleep, it's 11pm and I'm still hearing this really loud constant droning noise. I get up because I thought it might be our HVAC or maybe something with our pool equipment or who knows. I finally get outside and realize it's coming from our neighbor's pool pump. Now, it's night so it's otherwise quiet, but it's pretty loud. And, of course, our bedroom is on the same side of the house as theirs and their pool equipment is on the side nearest our bedroom.

So, this continues all night and all through the next day. At like 5:30pm, I sent him a text asking if he realized the pump was much louder than it has ever been over the last 3-4 years and that something might be wrong with it. He texts back like an hour later saying along the lines of "I noticed it about a week ago, it's scheduled to be replaced on the 16th. I'm out of town but I'll try and turn it off remotely before I get back Sunday. Sorry about the noise".

Very nice, completely understandable. Well, he wasn't able to turn it off because we kept hearing it but, whatever, not the guy's fault, he'll be back in a couple days.

We've been listening to this now every day since then. He's been back, and while it's at least turning off at night now, it's still constant from 7am until later at night. On top of that, on Wednesday, it got even louder. I sent another text on Wednesday just asking if he can at least turn it off until it gets fixed on the 16th (yesterday). He responds, says he turned it off, he's sorry. Cool.

Heard it all day yesterday and now, today, still going on. So, I guess it was never fixed.

This thing is loud. I opened up a website on my phone that measures decibels and it's reading at over 90 decibels from our property. That's the equivalent of a power tool or hairdryer running next to you. Except it's all. day. long.

I was hoping it would be taken care of yesterday but now that's not the case, heading into a weekend, and getting really tired of listening to this nonstop. What's the play now? I get that it's not his fault the pump is faulty now and needs to be replaced and he can't dictate when it gets done, but he can at least just turn the pump off until it gets fixed. But, I've already sent two texts about this, so......

This is what it sounds like INSIDE our house, and this is in the middle, not even in our room where it's closer and even louder.
Couldn't hear it over the sound of all those birds.

Couldn't hear it over the sound of all those birds.
They are adapting. It’s like when you have to talk super loud in a crowded bar.

quitcher bitchin! I've got seemingly thousands of cicadas serenading us all day. wrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

:p

All I know is you have way more noise tolerance than I do - or more patience, and I'm the most patient person I know. I could barely make it through that clip and after one day I would be personally visiting, calling, texting/emailing the guy over and over until it stopped.

Have you sent that link to him at least to prove that you have a legitimate complaint?

Wait, I just heard the video. That sounds just like the cicadas. You sure it's the pool pump? ;)

All I know is you have way more noise tolerance than I do - or more patience, and I'm the most patient person I know. I could barely make it through that clip and after one day I would be personally visiting, calling, texting/emailing the guy over and over until it stopped.

Have you sent that link to him at least to prove that you have a legitimate complaint?
Lol, that video link is ridiculous...you literally hear birds chirping over the sound of the buzzing. The dude lives there, probably 30 feet away... just walk outside and listen.

I wouldn’t do anything more, Just close your windows and give him time to fix or replace the pump. He’s aware of the problem, as loud as it is at your house—it’s going to be louder at his own house, and I’d imagine that a pump making that kind of noise is on its latter days anyhow. Risking creating an adversarial situation with a neighbor is not worth it—since you already have a bit of a history with the guy.

Back on again this morning at 8am. Sent an Offdee text. He just responded:

"I guess the pool app keeps turning it on I'm out of town until Sunday so I had my daughter go over to house and make sure it's off- should be off now

The pool guy was supposed to be there on Thursday then Friday then today- I'll make sure it's off until it's fixed- sorry"

So yeah, he isn't around and isn't realizing it's still on. Been listening to it all morning. Finally off and I can enjoy the sweet serenade of cicadas.

Lol, that video link is ridiculous...you literally hear birds chirping over the sound of the buzzing. The dude lives there, probably 30 feet away... just walk outside and listen.
:shrug:
I guess I'm just sensitive to constant vibration kind of noise like that. Don't see why it matters that you can also hear birds chirping at the same time. Bird chirps are loud but not constant and 24 hours a day. Even cicadas have enough variety of sounds that they don't bother me quite as much as that rhythmic hum with the occasional gurgle in there that I hear from that pump. Admittedly, I don't live in an area where the cicadas are nuts, though - but even they aren't 24 hours a day are they?
Yeah, I was exaggerating about not getting through the clip, but I think I was imagining the whole picture of it being a constant noise and it bothered me more than it would otherwise.

:shrug:
I guess I'm just sensitive to constant vibration kind of noise like that. Don't see why it matters that you can also hear birds chirping at the same time. Bird chirps are loud but not constant and 24 hours a day. Even cicadas have enough variety of sounds that they don't bother me quite as much as that rhythmic hum with the occasional gurgle in there that I hear from that pump. Admittedly, I don't live in an area where the cicadas are nuts, though - but even they aren't 24 hours a day are they?
Yeah, I was exaggerating about not getting through the clip, but I think I was imagining the whole picture of it being a constant noise and it bothered me more than it would otherwise.
This is me as well.

It's not about just the noise itself. If I heard it for an hour or whatever intermittently, I wouldn't care.

But I've been listening to that near constantly for over a week.

Kind of like leaf blower season but all day, every day. That's how loud it is... And constant.

Users who are viewing this thread