What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

What happened to Peyton Hillis today? (1 Viewer)

Thumper

Footballguy
I didn't get to see any of the Chiefs game today, but Peyton Hillis's stat line was just plain ugly...Was all the 50/50 time share talk just coach speak or was week 1 a blip on the radar?

Wait and see. Cause for concern, but let's see what happens when KC is competitive. I think week 2 vs buffalo should paint a clearer picture.

My take is that Charles is the game changer and will thus all see the larger percentage of carries. I think going forward Hillis will be used more but just enough to keep Charles fresh.

KC was playing catch up for the entire 2nd half, which lends itself to Charles. That said, Charles sure looked explosive.

KC was playing catch up for the entire 2nd half, which lends itself to Charles. That said, Charles sure looked explosive.
This. The situation didn't call for a RB like Hillis to grind it out. One thing that was alarming with Charles though was that he was seemingly phased out of the passing game. Hillis and especially McCluster seem to have taken over that role. I feel like KC is finally figuring out how to utilize McCluster.

Last edited by a moderator:
Does anyone know where to find a snap breakdown or simply a number of offensive snaps for the team and number of snaps per player?

What happened is that a large segment of the fantasy football population failed to recognize that Jamaal Charles is a stud, plain and simple.

Hillis is a wasted draft pick this year. Cut bait while you can.

What happened is that a large segment of the fantasy football population failed to recognize that Jamaal Charles is a stud, plain and simple.Hillis is a wasted draft pick this year. Cut bait while you can.
Find this sucker in your league and buy low.

What happened is that a large segment of the fantasy football population failed to recognize that Jamaal Charles is a stud, plain and simple.Hillis is a wasted draft pick this year. Cut bait while you can.
Classic overreaction to week 1.
I would argue that Hillis owners are still overreacting to his performances from 2 years ago.But you can argue about his talent all you want, but you can't deny the following facts: he's a BACKUP RB on a mediocre team. Those facts alone should have made him an afterthought on fantasy draft day, yet he somehow got an ADP of 26.Bottom line is that you're a fool if you expected more than 3 points out of a backup RB today.He. Is. A. Backup.

I would argue that Hillis owners are still overreacting to his performances from 2 years ago.But you can argue about his talent all you want, but you can't deny the following facts: he's a BACKUP RB on a mediocre team. Those facts alone should have made him an afterthought on fantasy draft day, yet he somehow got an ADP of 26.Bottom line is that you're a fool if you expected more than 3 points out of a backup RB today.He. Is. A. Backup.
all reports out of preseason was 50-50 split and they were both named starter on depth chart. maybe semantics but i think its too early to say hes strictly a backup

I think Charles will excel in games where the Chiefs are expected to be trailing and behind.

I think Hillis will excel in games where the Chiefs are expected to lead and want to kill the clock to protect it.

I think what should be more concerning to the Hillis owners is that Shaun Draughn was called upon in the second half to give Charles a breather and he looked better doing it then Hillis.

I think what should be more concerning to the Hillis owners is that Shaun Draughn was called upon in the second half to give Charles a breather and he looked better doing it then Hillis.
This was the most concerning thing to me; a majority of his value depended on the GL opportunities. The GL vulture got vultured.

This was the most concerning thing to me; a majority of his value depended on the GL opportunities. The GL vulture got vultured.
Game was over by then. You are better off letting your younger players get some game time.

'Joe Summer said:
I DRAFTED JAAMAL CHARLES AND DAMNIT HE IS THE ONLY GUY WHO SHOULD CARRY THE BALL! Get a clue man, I own both in various leagues but clearly both have a real role here. Even in 2010 Charles only got around half the carries, its just his best role. In a closer game Hillis will get more carries, and if they get a goal line chance (they didn't really have any in this game) Hillis will get most of those also. Couple that with Hillis looking active in the passing game, and I certainly am not panicking. I mean you do realize JC only put up around 9 points in a ppr this week right? Thats not exactly huge production, and thankfully my team with him had Ryan going this week haha. Hillis to me is like a better version of Michael Bush, he will get the same goal line work only with more catches and carries.

%26%2339%3BJoe Summer said:
I DRAFTED JAAMAL CHARLES AND DAMNIT HE IS THE ONLY GUY WHO SHOULD CARRY THE BALL! Get a clue man, I own both in various leagues but clearly both have a real role here. Even in 2010 Charles only got around half the carries, its just his best role. In a closer game Hillis will get more carries, and if they get a goal line chance (they didn't really have any in this game) Hillis will get most of those also. Couple that with Hillis looking active in the passing game, and I certainly am not panicking. I mean you do realize JC only put up around 9 points in a ppr this week right? Thats not exactly huge production, and thankfully my team with him had Ryan going this week haha. Hillis to me is like a better version of Michael Bush, he will get the same goal line work only with more catches and carries.
Once again, it's not 2010 anymore and Charlie Weis is no longer running the KC offense. It's not going to be a 50/50 split and the best performers will get the most touches.

I was expecting Hillis/Charles to be pretty much 50-50 going into the season... but Charles just looked awesome today. Unless Charles gets hurt I'd expect a lot more stat lines like today, or, if the Chiefs ever get a lead (which will not be very often) I would not expect Hillis to get more than 25% of the carries.

I was expecting Hillis/Charles to be pretty much 50-50 going into the season... but Charles just looked awesome today. Unless Charles gets hurt I'd expect a lot more stat lines like today, or, if the Chiefs ever get a lead (which will not be very often) I would not expect Hillis to get more than 25% of the carries.
He looked good on one run, averaging 2.7 YPC on every other carry and didn't catch a single pass even though KC was playing catch up for an entire half. No on on KC looked awesome today.

Last edited by a moderator:
He looked good on one run, averaging 2.7 YPC on every other carry and didn't catch a single pass. No on on KC looked awesome today.
Hillis had one good run and averaged 1.5 YPC on every other carry. Oh, but at least he caught 3 passes for 0 points. :rolleyes:

He looked good on one run, averaging 2.7 YPC on every other carry and didn't catch a single pass. No on on KC looked awesome today.
Hillis had one good run and averaged 1.5 YPC on every other carry. Oh, but at least he caught 3 passes for 0 points. :rolleyes:
I'm sorry did I say he looked good? Did you think I was implying that or something?

Hopefully nobody was dumb enough to draft Hillis as their RB2. I'm not particularly worried. We'll see how the distribution works out for the next two weeks or so before I start getting concerned.

Hopefully nobody was dumb enough to draft Hillis as their RB2. I'm not particularly worried. We'll see how the distribution works out for the next two weeks or so before I start getting concerned.
Agreed, I think his ADP was low enough no one did that (he is my RB4 in the one league I have him). I'm disappointed with today but if I have to drop him in week 3 or 4 it is no big loss... he was basically a homerun or bust pick anyways.

I just think this time next week everyone will be singing a different tune on Hillis (and Charles if anyone was upset with his low point total in ppr this week). This run game is going to improve.

'shadyridr said:
'Joe Summer said:
'SameSongNDance said:
all reports out of preseason was 50-50 split and they were both named starter on depth chart. maybe semantics but i think its too early to say hes strictly a backup
The Jets also couldn't score any points in the preseason.

From what I saw it was rather simple. Hillis looked like a slow, ploding FB when he touched the ball. Charles looked like an elite runner with burst and explosivness when he touched the ball.

Perhaps there will be days this isn't the case but I doubt it. That doesn't mean Hillis can't produce some stats at some point. It just means Charles is clary better.... which we already knew, right?

Hillis will have value if they are in contention for the division, winning games and he can salt away games...if they get blown out like yesterday he will have stat lines like yesterday. I think their teams is better than how they played yesterday and Hillis should have some decent value.

Hillis will have value if they are in contention for the division, winning games and he can salt away games...if they get blown out like yesterday he will have stat lines like yesterday. I think their teams is better than how they played yesterday and Hillis should have some decent value.
I agree. Does anyone realize how many inactives that KC team had on D yesterday? Particularly the secondary. It's really no surprise they struggled so much vs. the Atl passing attack. KC will play better this season. When they do Hillis will get more opportunities. None the less, he is a far lesser RB to Charles. That much is clear.

Draughn has been on the radar since pre-season. The staff likes him. He will be worked in a bit and frustrate Charles/Hillis ppl sometimes, and other times he will disappear for a long while. If there's an injury to Charles/Hillis, Charles/Hillis' role isnt likely to change with him around.

This is a great buy low opportunity for Charles owners to grab a top handcuff. I'm making lowball offers as we speak.

Charles has the highest yards/carry in the history of the NFL. He's probably going to get the ball over a converted FB most of the time.

McCluster and Charles both looked great, with excellent speed and quick cuts every time they touched the ball. The Chiefs tried to keep pace with the Falcons but couldn't.

Hillis will have a role, especially in divisional games against the so-so offenses of the AFC West. But McCluster is getting a lot of the backfield/leak/wheel route passes, and Charles was getting run all over. Each of the KC RBs may be more niche players than originally expected.

A lot of over reaction to a blowout loss in this thread.

One guy drafted 25th scored ~9 points and probably started on most rosters.

The other guy was drafted 90th and scored ~6 points(ppr) on the bench for most people.

'FF Ninja said:
Does anyone know where to find a snap breakdown or simply a number of offensive snaps for the team and number of snaps per player?
29 for Charles, 22 for Draughn, and 19 for Hillis.

'Joe Summer said:
'SameSongNDance said:
Spiller is a backup RB on a bad team and he went off for 180 not even playing the whole game.You're overreacting. In non-PPR I'm still happy getting Hillis in the 7th/8th in most of my drafts.

Hillis is going to be a situational player. Fact of the matter is KC got blown out by a high powered offense yesterday and their was no need for a rb to grind out yds. They needed to score in a hurry and Charles was the far better fit for the situation...Simple as that.

Hillis be more involved in most games.

'Thumper said:
I didn't get to see any of the Chiefs game today, but Peyton Hillis's stat line was just plain ugly...Was all the 50/50 time share talk just coach speak or was week 1 a blip on the radar?
Once again, we learn that you should run away from the over-hyped backup running back.

Was really shocked at how high people were drafting Hillis.
Okay genius.The rest of us saw:1) A high-ceiling back who is capable of 1600 yards as the feature back 2) He's in a run-heavy offense 3) In 2010 Thomas Jones had 240 carries in the same role in the same offense4) The guy ahead of him is a year removed from ACL surgeryWe're all 20/20 in hindsight but I still like the pick in the 7th+. That's where Tate is going and Hillis is going to get more touches than Tate this year.

From what I saw it was rather simple. Hillis looked like a slow, ploding FB when he touched the ball. Charles looked like an elite runner with burst and explosivness when he touched the ball.

Perhaps there will be days this isn't the case but I doubt it. That doesn't mean Hillis can't produce some stats at some point. It just means Charles is clary better.... which we already knew, right?
I don't think there is ANY doubt Charles is the better RB, which is why he was drafted much higher and is a weekly starter. I liked both this year and got Hillis for $12 while Charles went for $43 in my auction. Hillis is my RB4 while Charles is the other guy's RB1.It's crystal clear and has been so that Charles is the much better RB and more valuable FF player. Some argued that Hillis was a better value in drafts because he can be had much cheaper. I don't necessarily agree with that but let's not overreact to week 1.

And I wouldnt characterize Hillis as slow and plodding based on the 7 carries he had yesterday. He will look much better in games that are more conducive to his style IMO.

I agree. Does anyone realize how many inactives that KC team had on D yesterday? Particularly the secondary. It's really no surprise they struggled so much vs. the Atl passing attack. KC will play better this season. When they do Hillis will get more opportunities. None the less, he is a far lesser RB to Charles. That much is clear.
Key point which is why I really wanted to take Hillis out of my lineup as my flex but had little choice with Mathews out. KC was also without their best pass rusher. It was an easily apparent recipe for disaster for KC 's defense.KC will get guys back and be better on defense, which will allow them to play the kind of games where Hillis will get his. Charles is clearly the better back, which we all have known. But there is still value in Hillis.

It's week 1 people.

Users who are viewing this thread