What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

What happened in Seattle? (1 Viewer)

Brady is married to $. He doesn't collect $, he collects SB trophies. They are an anomaly. However, if Wentz ignores his agents greed, he could take less because he's not a greedy dude.
Oh for sure and he has lots of endorsement deals but lets not pretend like anyone making $50 million plus isn't doing just fine financially. Also RW's wife doesn't have supermodel money but she's for sure worth 10 or 20 mill herself. My point was that the Pats are mostly an anomaly because of Brady and not for any other reason.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh for sure and he has lots of endorsement deals but lets not pretend like anyone making $50 million plus isn't doing just fine financially. Also RW's wife doesn't have supermodel money but she's for sure worth 10 or 20 mill herself. My point was that the Pats are mostly an anomaly because of Brady and not for any other reason.
I don't think you can compare Ciara to Gisele in terms of net worth

Bündchen is a total icon, and even snagged a spot as the 99th highest paid celebrity in 2016, according to AOL. Bündchen's net worth is a whopping $360 million while Brady's sits comfortably at $180 million. Together, the couple is worth $540 million. I need to sit down.

Agreed. he doesn't need the $. That's what I'm saying. He prefers SB trophies. The rest prefer the $ or they wouldn't be breaking the salary record every new contact. He's grabbing SBs, the rest are grabbing $.

Buh Bye O-Line which was insane since the Shaun Alexander days.... that Line is Swiss Cheese now .. Midget QB's behind shaky lines sound like a recipe for Mediocre at best 

Buh Bye O-Line which was insane since the Shaun Alexander days.... that Line is Swiss Cheese now .. Midget QB's behind shaky lines sound like a recipe for Mediocre at best 
In the new millennium that is not PC.  He's now referred to as a little people QB.

Line was awful last year and RW was a top producer. It's not just the OL but also a total lack of offensieve weapons. Baldwin hurt, Graham gone, Richardson gone. And the defense has been falling apart as well. Guys getting older, moving on, getting hurt, etc. 

Actually Brady might be even lower on the list.

From my GB @Aaron Rudnicki

https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2018/8/9/17671350/tom-brady-contract-2018-serious-bargain-blake-bortles-ahahahah

"The 41-year-old quarterback cut the Pats a hometown bargain as he enters the second-to-last year of his contract with the team. Brady will cost New England just $15 million this fall, making him the league’s 22nd highest-paid passer and creating some extra salary cap space for a team that wasn’t exactly hurting for room in the first place."

Seattle always had a Run game with a Dominate O-Line.... RW scrambling around and taking huge shots down the field is not a good strategy for winning.. No Run game No chance

Seattle always had a Run game with a Dominate O-Line.... RW scrambling around and taking huge shots down the field is not a good strategy for winning.. No Run game No chance
RW has always been a scrambling around QB and that's what makes him as good as he has been.   When the 'hawks were good I remember RW scrambling around on 3rd and 12 and running for the first down, or finding an open man countless times.  It's what separates him from average QBs.

- Poor drafting

- Pete's stories and rah rah attitude becoming repetitive and less inspiring to his vets

- Aging stars

- League parity and rotation of great teams becoming more common (it's just their time to not stay great)

Sometimes even good things/programs/coaches need swapping out to stay fresh and competitive (aka Andy Reid leaving Philly, etc).  Pats are the exception, but it's a new league where you need to stay current and young to stay competitive and Seattle isn't any of those things. 

With regards to Seattle and "what happened," I think some of that is the Carroll schtick has worn off. These obnoxious coaches never really seem to last long. They come in and they're energized and the players are motivated and feed off that emotion, and then after a few years it just seems to wear off. It's great in college because you don't have the same players for more than 4 or 5 years. Harbaugh is a good example. I think Carroll is cut from the same mold.

Sure, everything's great when everything's great. But as soon as there is a hiccup- such as giving the QB preferential treatment or the OL faltering or the defense falling apart- then suddenly it's not just one big happy family. Suddenly that rah rah everyone's great, we're all having fun, etc doesn't have the same impact. 

As I said in the Wilson thread last December, Wilson is a good QB, but IMO he's not someone to have an offense built around. The more Seattle has asked of Wilson's arm the less successful Seattle has been, generally speaking. 

Pete Carroll was a great, beloved guy because the media fell all over him at USC.  Because Carroll allowed the media unfettered access to the program.  

This is the same guy who had a player fake suicide at practice to play a prank on the team and reporters and when the NCAA was set to impose sanctions on his program he bolted for the NFL.  

Carroll, like most "super cool dads" is great to have around until you need an actual dad.  He doesn't strike me as a guy who takes much responsibility for the "dad" role and focuses more on the "super cool buddy" role.  That goes sour eventually when you've got the same people for more than 5 years.

Full disclosure: UCLA alumnus.
not a big Cowherd fan, but he was dead right about Carroll - left USC when Harbaugh came to Stanford. now he has Shanny in SF, and McVay in LA and Pete's gonna leave Seattle because it's getting hot in the kitchen..fair weather friend , so to speak 

The style of football that the Seahawks were playing during their run of dominance is based on a team soundly built from the inside out (OL and run-stopping D)... garbage in eventually turned into garbage out.

I think these comments encompass most of what happened in Seattle, but would especially focus on roster turnover/draft/cap and one crucial decision nobody is ever going to live down; namely, throwing the ball against the Pats. If they run the ball, they're cemented as two-time Super Bowl champs and on their way to destiny/dynasty. It was rank incompetence that cost them there.  

Also, didn't Carroll allude to being a Truther about 9/11 and when pressed back off of it? He's always either been loved where he's at or rubbed people totally wrong. I think that's also an important point people are making upthread. That doesn't sit well after a while.  

So much to add here...

I've been a Seahawk fan for a long time. Likely longer than some folks posting here have been alive. I remember watching Zorn to Largent in 1976. I remember Dave Krieg and Curt Warner upsetting Marino in Miami in 1983. I remember Rick Mirer setting rookie passing records in 1993 the year after Seattle posted perhaps the worst NFL offensive numbers in the history of the league. I remember going 20+ years without a playoff win. I remember a lot. Over so many years you develop some perspective on things. 

What happened? They're experiencing the natural ebb and flow of an NFL franchise. They built a great team with some of the best drafts in NFL history and a few key free agents and trades. From 2010 to 2012 the Seattle football franchise amassed talent like no other franchise has. Ever. I double dog dare anyone to find me a three year period like they had in acquiring talent via the draft, and I don't just mean starters and future gold jackets. They even crushed it with extreme depth across the board. Ahem.... Okung, Sweezy, Moffitt, Carpenter, Giacomini, Wilson, Tate, Baldwin, Kearse, Turbin, Willson, Avril, Bennett, Wright, Wagner, Irvin, Chancellor, Thomas, Sherman, Browner, Maxwell, Thurmond, Lane. All brought in via draft or signed as free agents. Several as undrafted free agents including both starting WRs in the super bowl. Seriously. John Schneider never sniffed an award for GM of the year. That's just wrong. 

The won games. They got famous. They set some amazing standards. Leading the NFL in scoring defense for four straight years is something special. It was nearly five, but they got torched in the final two weeks and finished 3rd in year five. They got paid (yes, all of them with the exception of Bruce Irvin. He got paid by the Raiders). Some of them became me first. Yes, I mean you Earl. It happens. I think its the natural evolution of things. 

As a Seattle fan I'm glad they had the run. It was fun. I'm sure it will happen again given enough time. If not, I'm okay with the memories. There's a lot of false narratives that float around this team. I guess that's expected with success and the spot light. What happens next? We'll see

If they run the ball, they're cemented as two-time Super Bowl champs and on their way to destiny/dynasty. It was rank incompetence that cost them there.  
Task for you. Find out how Seattle did in short yardage situation during the 2014 season.

This notion that the Seattle run game was automatic is wrong.

The style of football that the Seahawks were playing during their run of dominance is based on a team soundly built from the inside out (OL and run-stopping D)... garbage in eventually turned into garbage out.
They NEVER had a solidly built O-line. Run stopping D? You bet. 

Task for you. Find out how Seattle did in short yardage situation during the 2014 season.

This notion that the Seattle run game was automatic is wrong.
Yeah, I know that, actually. I followed Seattle and most of your points are well-taken. The O-line wasn't that great. There was nothing automatic about anything, but a pass there was certainly questionable. You could see the players wincing in disbelief. Not that players' reactions to a loss should be a determinative factor, but the whole country was wondering why it happened. Sometimes people outthink themselves. Seattle did there, IMHO. And that's all it is, is an opinion. But the perception of the players certainly colors their attitude, and everything changed after that play.  

Yeah, I know that, actually. I followed Seattle and most of your points are well-taken. The O-line wasn't that great. There was nothing automatic about anything, but a pass there was certainly questionable. You could see the players wincing in disbelief. Not that players' reactions to a loss should be a determinative factor, but the whole country was wondering why it happened. Sometimes people outthink themselves. Seattle did there, IMHO. And that's all it is, is an opinion. But the perception of the players certainly colors their attitude, and everything changed after that play.  
I don't disagree that most people (players included) are results oriented. For me, I think that's a bad way to live. For someone like Richard Sherman I think that's typical. I choose not to pander to immaturity. I know that the play call was fine given the situation. Butler (and to larger degree Browner) made a great play. Browner had a terrific jam on that play allowing Butler to become famous. I tip my cap to them and acknowledge that they earned it. 

I don't disagree that most people (players included) are results oriented. For me, I think that's a bad way to live. For someone like Richard Sherman I think that's typical. I choose not to pander to immaturity. I know that the play call was fine given the situation. Butler (and to larger degree Browner) made a great play. Browner had a terrific jam on that play allowing Butler to become famous. I tip my cap to them and acknowledge that they earned it. 
Yeah, I take your point, and know that it's a call that will debated forever in football history, and I don't think that's overstating it. That Browner made the jam must have been extra salt in the wounds for Seattle fans, as he was a great for them out of the CFL for two years in the defensive backfield, IIRC. 

Seahawks fan here. I actually have no beef with calling a pass there (though I’ll admit I was screaming “WHY THE #### WOULD YOU THROW IT” at my tv), as an incompletion would have allowed them to use all 3 downs and run it on the next two. The problem was the pass should have been a back corner fade that landed harmlessly out of bounds if not caught, rather than a ball into traffic in the middle of the field where a million different things can go wrong (guys running into each other, a bobble etc).

ughhhh

Golden Tate happened with Wilson's wife.  That was probably the beginning of the end - because Wilson had zero street cred with his teammates from that moment on. He didn't put Tate in the hospital after that........imagine that happens with a guy like Bryan Cox.  Tate would have been dead.

Edit to add:  if this somehow breaks the new rules of the board, feel free to delete.  IMO though this was what set up the whole dynamic with the team vs Carroll/Wilson.  Carroll had to step in and get rid of Tate because Wilson couldn't take care of business himself.
That was nothing but a rumor. Tate's girlfriend (who is now his wife) during the time of the rumor was best friends with Wilson's now ex-wife, and still is best friends with her. I doubt they would have remained friends if the rumor was true. All of them say it never happened.

Tate did his lights punched out by Percy Harvin, gave him a black eye for the Super Bowl team photo. 

Good times.

Users who are viewing this thread