What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Welker suspended 4 games for PEDs (1 Viewer)

So in one year the Broncos have lost Welker, Moreno, and Decker. Many folks just laugh this off as if they can just insert a bunch of schleps in and get the same results. If I were a Welker owner, I would not be too broken up since he was probably an 8th or 9th round pick. If was a Manning owner, I'd be crapping bricks as just spent a 1st or 2nd rounder on a guy that will probably be throwing around TDS in the low to mid 30s at best. I do not remember any qbs throwing back to back 40 td seasons. If I am wrong, please refresh my memory.

So in one year the Broncos have lost Welker, Moreno, and Decker. Many folks just laugh this off as if they can just insert a bunch of schleps in and get the same results. If I were a Welker owner, I would not be too broken up since he was probably an 8th or 9th round pick. If was a Manning owner, I'd be crapping bricks as just spent a 1st or 2nd rounder on a guy that will probably be throwing around TDS in the low to mid 30s at best. I do not remember any qbs throwing back to back 40 td seasons. If I am wrong, please refresh my memory.
i don't think there's a big dropoff to the new players. D Thomas and J Thomas are still there. He may or may not throw 40 Td's but i really doubt Manning is crapping bricks.

Yeah, people don't realize it was in fact Decker and Welker (in that order) that lead the Bronocs in RZ targets last year. Even if you could replace both talents (which IMO, they can't atm), you can't just replicate that kind chemistry and trust out of nowhere. There are going to be some Welker owners that are hurting, mostly those that drafted him before suffered the preseason concussion (think he was going ~round 4 during that time span, could be wrong) but he'll be fine. Plus, he was going to be a shaky start in these first couple games regardless, not to mention some of the match-ups in this first month are pretty rough (week 3 @ SEA, week 5 vs. ARI). I think Peyton will be missing him right around those times.

I never, ever take QB's early and this year Peyton fell to me and was by far best option, could have taken Brees or Rodgers as well. I'm not crapping bricks but am not loving the pick and that was before Welker went down / got suspended.

People who think Sanders will replicate Welker's production are high. He's not that talented.
He has different talents. Few have the quickness Welker had and maybe still has but Sanders has a lot of talent or Denver wouldn't have signed him. I defer to their scouting on this one.

Replacing Decker is no big feat. He's not a special player.

Replacing Wes, on the other hand is a lot tougher.
Special? Probably not but Peyton did very much lean on him in the RZ. I mean, he scored 24 TDs (13,11) in those 2 years with Peyton. That's clearly not nothing.

Edited for stupidity.

Last edited by a moderator:
i don't think there's a big dropoff to the new players. D Thomas and J Thomas are still there. He may or may not throw 40 Td's but i really doubt Manning is crapping bricks.
Don't agree. Last year was an outlier in a big way. I am not saying he will not be good, 35 tds and 4000 yards is a great season by any qb. He is not sniffing 55 tds and over 5000 though. Especially with all of the losses. He should ask Brady how valuable having Welker is.

Don't agree. Last year was an outlier in a big way. I am not saying he will not be good, 35 tds and 4000 yards is a great season by any qb. He is not sniffing 55 tds and over 5000 though. Especially with all of the losses. He should ask Brady how valuable having Welker is.
Maybe Peyton will win a second Superbowl now that Welker isn't there, same as Brady

As for Welker owners, this is actually a pretty big burn if you spent a 4th rounder. Nothing sucks more than when you have guys out for games in the beginning of the season.

Also, for the people still high on Manning, these losses are occurring before all the injuries happen. Every team gets them.

This is huge for opposing defenses. I'm telling you Manning is not going to be the same without his security blanket.

Maybe Peyton will win a second Superbowl now that Welker isn't there, same as Brady
I don't count him out from winning a superbowl, I just do not see him throwing 50 or even 40 tds this year.

Someone posted in Rotoworld's forum more Bronco suspensions for PEDs may be coming. Not sure if legit or troll.

Bump Julius Thomas
That reasoning can only go so far. At some point you have to subscribe to the theory that a high tide raises all oars. Part of WHY Thomas and the others are so open and productive is because there are so many threats to cover. But when you now do not have a Moreno, decker, and welker, then maybe now somebody can be doubled more.

The way he went off on the defensive back that clocked Welker says differently.

The key cog is Manning and there is a bump for Sanders and Latimer.

Bump Julius Thomas
That reasoning can only go so far. At some point you have to subscribe to the theory that a high tide raises all oars. Part of WHY Thomas and the others are so open and productive is because there are so many threats to cover. But when you now do not have a Moreno, decker, and welker, then maybe now somebody can be doubled more.
a rising tide raises all boats...

Even worse when seeing otherwise knowledgeable people on Twitter saying it was MDMA cut with amphetamines.

Sig just retweeted this:

@MikeKlis

Broncos believe Welker is playing Sunday vs. Colts. Suspensions never announced this late in week. Game plan in place.
:shrug:

Back INTO the lineup he goes, I guess.

Wes Welker’s good day at the Kentucky Derby turned out to be not so good. His winnings that day exceeded $57,000. But human error resulted in the Broncos receiver being overpaid by nearly $15,000.

Now, he’ll lose a lot more than that due to his four-game suspension.

Per a league source, the banishment under the PED policy happened because Welker took MDMA, a banned substance under the substance-abuse policy, that had been cut with amphetamines, a banned substance under the PED policy. (Here’s where all the Walter Whites in the crowd will try to claim in the comments and on Twitter that MDMA and amphetamines are the same thing. They’re not, Jessie.)
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/09/02/source-welker-took-molly-at-kentucky-derby/

Users who are viewing this thread