What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Help me solve this TV mystery (1 Viewer)

offdee

Footballguy
TV: Sony X900F

My TV connects to WiFi fine, but after it connects, it says "no Internet connection".

I go to Netflix and it works fine. But I go to any other streaming app (Prime, YouTube, etc) and it says no internet connection and doesn't work.

2 questions:

1) How can I be connected to Wifi but not the internet?

2) Why would only Netflix work and nothing else?

Is Wi-Fi working for sure in your house? Put phone in airplane mode and connect to house Wi-Fi and see if Wi-Fi is up.

Two other things to throw at the wall:

1. Are there software/firmware updates available for the tv?

2. connecting to 2.4 or 5.0 ghz Wireless? Maybe swap it around?

Can you go into settings and see your IP and DNS information? If you can get those settings what you can try to do is that if you're getting an IP via DHCP, jot down the IP address, subnet mask and your default gateway. If you're using DHCP it will be automatically assigned to that device and look something like this :
1. IP Address 192.168.1.x (as an example)
2. Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0 (example)
3. Default Gateway 192.168.1.1 (example)
See if you can change if from DHCP to static and keep 1 and 2 (the ip address and subnet mask the same) but change the Default Gateway to 8.8.8.8

Here's a video so you can see what I'm talking about.

Can you go into settings and see your IP and DNS information? If you can get those settings what you can try to do is that if you're getting an IP via DHCP, jot down the IP address, subnet mask and your default gateway. If you're using DHCP it will be automatically assigned to that device and look something like this :
1. IP Address 192.168.1.x (as an example)
2. Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0 (example)
3. Default Gateway 192.168.1.1 (example)
See if you can change if from DHCP to static and keep 1 and 2 (the ip address and subnet mask the same) but change the Default Gateway to 8.8.8.8

Here's a video so you can see what I'm talking about.
Do not attempt this while high.

Try hitting your home button on your remote, and go to your settings, and go to system settings, and then go to Date and Time, and disable that and manually put in your date and time that is with your time zone, and save it, and then restart, and see if that helps.
Quick Google search sounds like this is the typical solution.

The next thing is to stop using the baked in apps on the TV and get a streaming device. The picture quality will be much better.

Something similar just happened to my kids tv. Tried the unplug reset and that didn't work.
Went into settings>connection>wifi
And "forgot" my two connections. Added them back in and reentered the password and it started working again.

Try hitting your home button on your remote, and go to your settings, and go to system settings, and then go to Date and Time, and disable that and manually put in your date and time that is with your time zone, and save it, and then restart, and see if that helps.

The next thing is to stop using the baked in apps on the TV and get a streaming device. The picture quality will be much better.
I have a ps4 set up and found that the tv apps have better picture quality. I imagine you are referencing more specified devices, correct?

Interesting, is this true that these sites work better from a device rather than the tv app?

Not to hijack thread, but do all devices support all apps? I could see google not supporting Disney or something like that.

Interesting, is this true that these sites work better from a device rather than the tv app?

Not to hijack thread, but do all devices support all apps? I could see google not supporting Disney or something like that.
I have a Sony X900h and was using the internal apps for a long time and always felt it just didn't look right - not "4k enough".

When I bought a Roku Stick+ The PQ improvement was obvious to me. And they practically give those things away.

I've got a newer Samsung and, for now, the apps on the Samsung TV work very well and look pretty amazing. However, on my older TV's, my oldest Samsung never came with any apps, never supported them and I have an old Sony TV that came with apps (which I never used b/c I used a DishTV from new for year and years.) However, once I ditched Dish a couple of years ago, I connected my old Sony to the internet and *bam* it came with a bunch of apps, how cool right? It had Netflix, Hulu, etc. and I thought "oh, how cool" and so as soon as I connected the TV to the internet for the first time, it popped up a message reading "hey your TV is out of date, would you like to update it?" I thought, awesome, oh hell yeah let's do it! So, I updated it and it REMOVED all those apps because they we're no longer secure and weren't going to be ever updated so, for my safety, they were permanently removed. I looked it up on Sony's site and it said just that "those apps are no longer supported on this TV so they will be removed once connected to the internet." I thought that was hilarious.
Okay, so on my older TV's, I have tried Firesticks, Chromecast, Roku's, etc. and in my humble opinion, by far, the Roku devices are the best. They're super simple to use, I like the interface, I have one Roku device that I bought to play around with that's from 2011 or 2012 and it still works flawlessly, still gets updates, etc.

Look at the big brain on simey. 👍

Fwiw, you can be connected to wifi and not have an internet connection.

:goodposting: Been using NVIDIA Shields for years. They’re awesome.

Users who are viewing this thread