What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

warning to those starting kc players this week (1 Viewer)

:tfp:

Chiefs | Coach ready to bench some folks

Fri, 09 Nov 2012 09:23:05 -0800

Kansas City Chiefs head coach Romeo Crennel said the next person that turns the ball over will have a seat on the bench.

0 Comments | Source: The Kansas City Star - Randy Covitz | Share:

Last edited by a moderator:
:tfp:Chiefs | Coach ready to bench some folks Fri, 09 Nov 2012 09:23:05 -0800Kansas City Chiefs head coach Romeo Crennel said the next person that turns the ball over will have a seat on the bench.0 Comments | Source: The Kansas City Star - Randy Covitz | Share:
Nice knowing you Charles.

I would think the Romeo factor is already priced into any KC player. The man has an elite level of cluelessness.

'Hipple said:

Kansas City Chiefs head coach Romeo Crennel said the next person that turns the ball over will have a seat on the bench.

I didn't know he cared!

'Islanders rule said:
'Hipple said:

Nice knowing you CharlesCrennel. If he even thinks about benching Cassell, Charles, or Bowe over a fumble and that teams gets beat down on MNF in front of the entire country, Mr. Crennel will have a wide open holiday shopping schedule. this disappoints me. I always liked Romeo. Thougt "maybe all he needs is that next chance" (reasoning that Belichick didn't look that great in cleveland either. But this is crazy.

The Chiefs just need to go away, like...now. I guess the offensive line doesn't have to worry about missing blocks anymore, defense doesn't have to worry about anything, neither of those units deserve to be benched anyhow...right? Because of guys like Romeo Crennel, fantasy dorks like us think that we could run a football team

I would think the Romeo factor is already priced into any KC player. The man has an elite level of cluelessness.
Perhaps Romeo will get lost on the way to Arrowhead in which case the team would probably perform better.And even if someone turns the ball over, Romeo may not even realize it until after he reads through the box score once the game is over.

Crennel: Turnovers will send Chiefs to the bench

BY RANDY COVITZ

The Kansas City Star

DAVID EULITT

The Chiefs’ 29 turnovers (14 interceptions, 15 fumbles) are 10 more than any other team in the league, and Crennel said the first player to turn it over on Monday night at Pittsburgh likely will get a seat on the bench.

Call it the Romeo Rule.

“I have to impart on them the importance of protecting the ball for this team,” Crennel said, “and sometimes to get that done, you basically have to threaten them. If you fumble it, I’m going to take you out of the game. And they will get the message.”

Does that include benching quarterback Matt Cassel, who has thrown 11 interceptions, third most in the NFL?

“Yes, you can make a change there,” Crennel said, “but the thing is, you always have to know exactly what happened on the play and why it happened. If a receiver tips the ball up in the air, is that on the receiver or is that on the quarterback? I have to make that determination, so I’ll make the call.

“I’ll sit the receiver or I’ll sit the quarterback.”

That doesn’t mean the player won’t return to the game at some point.

“Look, Jamaal Charles has fumbled the ball,” Crennel said of the Chiefs’ starting running back. “So if he fumbles, and he stands over there with me for a little bit, then I put him back in, because he’s the guy who runs for a touchdown.

“But I have to try to put an emphasis on it, so I’m going to try to emphasize it and get them to understand the importance.”

Crennel’s decree has grabbed the attention of his players.

“People better hold onto the football,” said running back Peyton Hillis. “He has every right to feel that way as much as we’ve turned the ball over this year. It’s been ridiculous. He’s always been a rational man, he’s been good to us, so he’s not doing this for no other purpose but to make us better.”

Cassel said he won’t let the specter of being pulled affect his approach in the game.

“When you’re out there playing, you try to make the right decision,” Cassel said, “but you can’t go out there and play tentative or scared because then you’re not going to be doing your job either. You compete, and in this game, there are going to be mistakes that are made.

“Unfortunately, we’ve had quite a few more than we wanted this year, but it doesn’t change your approach or how you go about it. You are conscious of it, especially during practice. You work hard at it, you try to be diligent about your reads, but when you get out there and play, you go out there and play and let the preparation take care of itself.”

Crennel cited a fumble by wide receiver Dwayne Bowe in last week’s loss at San Diego as an example of what will land a player on the bench. The Chiefs, trailing 7-0, had driven 16 plays on their first possession when Bowe caught a short pass from Cassel and gained 10 yards to the Chargers 23, and while he was fighting for extra yards, the ball was poked from his grasp and recovered by the Chargers.

“I emphasized a lot that week about protecting the football,” Crennel said. “That let me know that he’s trying to fight for yards, he’s trying to do too much rather than protect the ball.

“There’s a thin line you have to walk as a player … extra effort trying to get as much yards as you can, but protecting the football. When I tell them to protect the football at all costs, that means get both hands on it, and if I’ve caught the ball and gained yards, get down if I have to … if I fight for extra yards and lose the football, that doesn’t do much good.”

Though Pittsburgh leads the NFL in total defense and pass defense, the Steelers have created just eight turnovers, which is the second fewest in the league, including just four interceptions. Part of that is due to the absence of ball-hawking strong safety Troy Polamalu, who has missed six of eight games, including the last four due to a calf injury.

“I hope he continues to miss games, particularly this one on Monday night,” said Crennel, who was 0-8 in his four years as Cleveland head coach against the Steelers. “He’s a very good player, he lifts those guys up. Probably they’ve missed him a little bit, but when I say little bit, I mean really little, because they’re first defensively in a lot of categories. They’re pretty good.”

Read more here: http://www.kansascity.com/2012/11/09/3908600/crennel-turnovers-will-send-chiefs.html#storylink=cpy
I understand emphasizing but this is nuts

Poor Cassell, I don't think he can help himself.

That near safety / DST TD vs SD, man just watching thinking 'cmon Matt you know they're coming, cmon Matt you know they're going to try to strip the... oh well'

Steeler fans, please welcome Ricky Stanzi.

'Hipple said:
:tfp:Chiefs | Coach ready to bench some folks Fri, 09 Nov 2012 09:23:05 -0800Kansas City Chiefs head coach Romeo Crennel said the next person that turns the ball over will have a seat on the bench.0 Comments | Source: The Kansas City Star - Randy Covitz | Share:
Don't quarterbacks usually sit on the bench while the defense is on the field? Cassel would be back in quickly with Quinn out.

this guy is an absolute failure as a head coach. He is basically digging himself a grave.

So if Casell turns the ball over they will turn to who? Palko/Stanzi? They would definitely be better, right?

If Charles fumbles again, then bench your best player who gives you the best chance to win?

So if he benches them, he is digging himself a hole, and if doesnt bench them he loses credibility as a leader.

Epic fail of head coaching career, better suited as defensive coord. behind the scenes.

Cassel should fake an injury on the first play. Then on the next run Charles could "botch" the handoff :D

Cassel should fake an injury on the first play. Then on the next run Charles could "botch" the handoff :D
I like the idea. Unfortunately, Charles only gets carries on first downs so Romeo would foil that plan before it was ever hatched.

Not sure why people are freaking out...

You give Charles 14 carries and he gains 90 yards. Great for FF but what if he fumbles? Fumbles twice?

How about Dwayne Bowe or Jon Baldwin catching a pass at the opponent 28, getting a first down, and fumbling the ball away (just like vs SD). Certainly doesn't help the Chiefs win games and they sure as hell aren't winning games by not benching guys who turn the ball over.

As a HC, I'd rather take a sure handed guy who won't turn the damn ball over and is smart about where he is on the field. If a WR gets the 1st down, get down and don't try to fight for a meaningless 2-3 more yards since the risk of fumbling the ball outweighs the 2-3 additional yard gain. Same goes for a RB. Get that 4-6 yard run with both hands on the ball as opposed to risking a fumble by trying to make the big play happen instead.

You give Charles 14 carries and he gains 90 yards. Great for FF but what if he fumbles? Fumbles twice?
For what it's worth Charles isn't a fumbler. He's only fumbled 11 times in his career and has had only one game in his career with 2 fumbles (and that came earlier this season). If Charles were to fumble, it would be viewed by any sane observer as a rare occurrence and not something worthy of being benched. So of course it would only make sense if Charles was benched by Romeo for fumbling since sanity left the Kansas City building awhile ago.

http://www.theonion.com/articles/chiefs-realize-brady-quinn-received-frog-and-toad,29387/

KANSAS CITY, MO—Dismayed Kansas City Chiefs personnel told reporters Monday that backup quarterback Brady Quinn had mistakenly received a copy of Arnold Lobel's children's picture book Frog And Toad Are Friends instead of the team's 54-page playbook. "Brady kept talking about how he spent hours each night poring over the book and memorizing the diagrams in it," Chiefs head coach Romeo Crennel said of the Caldecott Honor book, which is designated level two in the "I Can Read" series and is intended for "readers who are increasingly confident, but still need some help." "It wasn't until he started telling little stories in the huddle about coat buttons and ponds that we realized something was up. He does seem to have learned some important lessons about friendship from the book. He's more communicative on the field, and he's sharing the ball better, but he's much further away from being game-ready than we thought." At press time, Quinn was preparing for Sunday's season opener against the Atlanta Falcons by carefully studying footage from the second season of Yo Gabba Gabba!.

http://www.theonion.com/articles/chiefs-realize-brady-quinn-received-frog-and-toad,29387/

KANSAS CITY, MO—Dismayed Kansas City Chiefs personnel told reporters Monday that backup quarterback Brady Quinn had mistakenly received a copy of Arnold Lobel's children's picture book Frog And Toad Are Friends instead of the team's 54-page playbook. "Brady kept talking about how he spent hours each night poring over the book and memorizing the diagrams in it," Chiefs head coach Romeo Crennel said of the Caldecott Honor book, which is designated level two in the "I Can Read" series and is intended for "readers who are increasingly confident, but still need some help." "It wasn't until he started telling little stories in the huddle about coat buttons and ponds that we realized something was up. He does seem to have learned some important lessons about friendship from the book. He's more communicative on the field, and he's sharing the ball better, but he's much further away from being game-ready than we thought." At press time, Quinn was preparing for Sunday's season opener against the Atlanta Falcons by carefully studying footage from the second season of Yo Gabba Gabba!.
:lmao: I seriously checked out four of those "Frog and Toad" books for my kids at the library last week! Awesome.

Shouldn't he be spending more time with the defense? :unsure:

Crennel digging in hard with KC offense

By Bill Williamson | Nov 7, 2012 9:06 PM

Kansas City quarterback Matt Cassel told reporters Wednesday that coach Romeo Crennel has been around the offense more now that he's relinquished his title as defensive coordinator to linebackers coach Garry Gibbs.

“He’s been in our meetings a lot more this week," Cassel said. "I’ve seen him around and that’s been a little bit different from the first half of the season so far.”

Crennel clearly feels like he needs to be around the offense more. It will it matter for the 1-7 Chiefs? We will see.

In other AFC West news:

San Diego linebacker Antwan Barnes didn’t practice Wednesday with a hamstring problem. Left tackle Jared Gaither (groin), defensive end Corey Liuget (hamstring) and safely Atari Bigby (quad) were all limited Wednesday for San Diego.

Kansas City defensive end Glenn Dorsey is not practicing and I wouldn’t expect him to play at Pittsburgh on Monday night. He re-injured his calf at San Diego last week. It previously kept him out for several weeks.

CBSSports.com counts Detroit, Miami and Arizona among the teams interested in cornerback Stanford Routt, who was cut by Kansas City on Monday.

Breaking news! Jamaal charles was carrying In a large box of French cruellers for Romeo Crennel and dropped them on the floor. Word on the street is romeo is thinking about sitting I'm a 1/4 to send a message that donut dropping will NOT be tolerated.

#frogandtoadarefriends

Shouldn't he be spending more time with the defense? :unsure:Crennel digging in hard with KC offense By Bill Williamson | Nov 7, 2012 9:06 PMKansas City quarterback Matt Cassel told reporters Wednesday that coach Romeo Crennel has been around the offense more now that he's relinquished his title as defensive coordinator to linebackers coach Garry Gibbs. “He’s been in our meetings a lot more this week," Cassel said. "I’ve seen him around and that’s been a little bit different from the first half of the season so far.” Crennel clearly feels like he needs to be around the offense more. It will it matter for the 1-7 Chiefs? We will see. In other AFC West news: San Diego linebacker Antwan Barnes didn’t practice Wednesday with a hamstring problem. Left tackle Jared Gaither (groin), defensive end Corey Liuget (hamstring) and safely Atari Bigby (quad) were all limited Wednesday for San Diego. Kansas City defensive end Glenn Dorsey is not practicing and I wouldn’t expect him to play at Pittsburgh on Monday night. He re-injured his calf at San Diego last week. It previously kept him out for several weeks. CBSSports.com counts Detroit, Miami and Arizona among the teams interested in cornerback Stanford Routt, who was cut by Kansas City on Monday.
About focusing on the D, didnt he dismiss himself as D coord?

Users who are viewing this thread