What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Vikings leave Green Bay in "a huff" (1 Viewer)

Kitrick Taylor

Footballguy
Local beat writer for the Milwaukee Journal just posted that the details are yet to be confirmed but:

"the Vikings' exit will be the subject of some talk tomorrow. And it wasn't the players. Let's also say that there is A LOT of bad blood between the Vikings and Packers. A lot."

UPDATE:

<h4 class="BlogSubject">Childress left without handshake</h4> <h5 class="BlogAuthor">By Greg A. Bedard</h5>

Tuesday, Sep 9 2008, 11:09 PM

Green Bay - Vikings coach Brad Childress exited Lambeau Field after Monday night's loss to the Packers without shaking Mike McCarthy's hand.

The state television pool feed showed McCarthy at midfield after the game. He looked around puzzled for a minute, apparently searching for Childress, and then McCarthy started to leave the field, shaking the hand of a Vikings assistant along the way.

McCarthy and Childress did exchange phone calls on Tuesday. McCarthy said there are no hard feelings on his part. Childress was tough to find because he was still talking to quarterback Tarvaris Jackson, who was upset over his late interception.

Still, he's highly unusual for a coach to skip the customary post-game handshake. Even Bill Belichick and estranged protege Eric Mangini have managed to press the flesh after games.

It's been no secret that the Vikings are upset over the tampering charges filed by the Packers during the Brett Favre saga. McCarthy also might have irked the Vikings last week with his answer to a question about some of the trash talking the Vikings did towards the Packers in the off-season.

"It speaks volumes about the way they go about their business," McCarthy said.

Last edited by a moderator:
Can't you give a little more? You left a lot of room for speculation and we know how that can work in the Shark Pool. Any link?

Very intense rivalry. To add to it, the Vikes' Wrs were getting mauled and there were a few no-calls that I saw during the game.

Probably has more to do with the Favre tampering accusations. Could be also that the Packers have beaten the Vikings the last 5 times in a row.

Very intense rivalry. To add to it, the Vikes' Wrs were getting mauled and there were a few no-calls that I saw during the game.
uh, sure.........
This is from a Packers Blog http://blogs.jsonline.com/packers/archive/...-game-blog.aspx
Fourth quarter

• Vikings have 3rd-and-1 and they rely on the arm of Jackson and not his feet or Peterson? Questionable. And Woodson looked like he got away with one against Bobby Wade.

Second quarter

• Harris was lucky he wasn't called for a 52-yard pass interference penalty against Berrian. They could have thrown a flag. Harris never turned around and impeded Berrian's progress.

Yep...I previously thought you had to have the football before you could get tackled by a DB or a LB...so I learned something new tonight. :XThere were a couple of suspect calls that went against the Packers too (poor officiating night all-around, IMHO), but it was the Vikings fault for not getting it done regardless. For how much momentum and emotion the Packers had in that stadium, it wasn't the officials who through that pick on the final Vikings drive of the game. The blame falls squarely on the Vikings for not coming out of there with a win, irregardless of whatever else was going on.

uh, sure.........
This is from a Packers Blog http://blogs.jsonline.com/packers/archive/...-game-blog.aspx
Fourth quarter

• Vikings have 3rd-and-1 and they rely on the arm of Jackson and not his feet or Peterson? Questionable. And Woodson looked like he got away with one against Bobby Wade.

Second quarter

• Harris was lucky he wasn't called for a 52-yard pass interference penalty against Berrian. They could have thrown a flag. Harris never turned around and impeded Berrian's progress.
the replay was crystal clear. wade would have had to make a spectacular 1-handed catch.

uh, sure.........
Fourth quarter

Second quarter

To imply that the officiating favored Green Bay is ridiculous. There were horrible calls on both sides, perhaps a missed interference call. However, there were 2 absolutely horrific flags thrown on phantom interference calls at crucial moments in the game. Including the BS call on Tramon Williams which led to the Vikings final TD.

uh, sure.........
Fourth quarter

Second quarter

yep 1 blog post proves the point. :confused:

uh, sure.........
Fourth quarter

Second quarter

yep 1 blog post proves the point. :confused:
:loco:

uh, sure.........
Fourth quarter

Second quarter

To imply that the officiating favored Green Bay is ridiculous. There were horrible calls on both sides, perhaps a missed interference call. However, there were 2 absolutely horrific flags thrown on phantom interference calls at crucial moments in the game. Including the BS call on Tramon Williams which led to the Vikings final TD.
Sorry, but he did make contact with the receiver on that play. At the very least it was illegal contact(since it happened 25 yards downfield), but the refs determined it happened after the ball was in the air which made it PI.It was a terribly reffed game all around, but the Vikings did get the worse end of the deal.

Sorry, but he did make contact with the receiver on that play. At the very least it was illegal contact(since it happened 25 yards downfield), but the refs determined it happened after the ball was in the air which made it PI.It was a terribly reffed game all around, but the Vikings did get the worse end of the deal.
While I agree the Vikes were screwed on that play I thought they got at least one PI go their way that shouldn't have.Overall the officiating was lousy but both teams were sloppy as heck too. In the end I don't think either team got the worse end of the deal.

uh, sure.........
Fourth quarter

Second quarter

I didn't see the first one, but the no-call against Al Harris was pretty bad. Triplett's crew is probably the worst in the league.The funny thing was before the game started, my buddy said "oh no... Triplett. Get to know him..."

Well, Minn made their bed when they hitched their wagon to Jackson. If they had a decent QB they win that game easily.

uh, sure.........
Fourth quarter

Second quarter

Not a fan of either team, but Minnesota got robbed on a few long pass plays. There is NO question Berrian was interfered with; I have no clue what the refs are looking at in that spot. The others were more just questionable ones that all went against Minnesota.The interference call is the one play in football that is such a huge factor in outcomes. Something needs to be done about these 50 yard interference calls that are questionable and then maulings that go uncalled. It is absurd

They are pissed because they wanted me and are stuck with a loser like Tavaris Jackson as Rodgers shows QB skills Jackson couldn't even dream of having. If they want to save their season, they better go find a QB. Nice pass to the defense to seal the deal. :rolleyes:

Maybe they're cranky 'cuz they spent all that money and draft picks on Jared Allen and he had zero tackles.
Agreed. They're probably annoyed because they went out and made some major moves and at the end of the day it looked to be the exact team from last year. Little pass rush, bad pass defense, bad QB/passing offense, very solid against the run and very good running game.....

Well, Minn made their bed when they hitched their wagon to Jackson. If they had a decent QB they win that game easily.
This is pretty true. Jackson had open receivers deep a couple of times and just flat out missed them. Completing just 46% of your passes isn't going to get it done.

I thought the first PI was a cheap one on Harris. There was no contact I could locate. Maybe thats why they let a couple go after that that should have been called.

Pack should have wooped em up good if they didnt have so many penalties.

They clearly looked the better team in all phases!

Local beat writer for the Milwaukee Journal just posted that the details are yet to be confirmed but:

"the Vikings' exit will be the subject of some talk tomorrow. And it wasn't the players. Let's also say that there is A LOT of bad blood between the Vikings and Packers. A lot."

Sore losers? Looking forward to hearing the rest of this one.
So in short, no one has any clue what the writer is talking about and what about their exit was worthy of talk.Great thread so far!

:popcorn: Jackson missed a BUNCH of throws that the Vikings (if they'd had those completions) could have used to win. To me, he looked like a cut-rate-Vick-without-dawgs (just as inaccurate throwing the ball, or worse, and not as explosive running the ball).

Saw this as well. Bedard does this from time to time and then never follows up. Last year he mentioned in a post game chat that some of the wide receivers didn't like each other, which set off a frenzy of speculation that turned into nothing.

I was kinda surprised the home team got the benefit of a little refereeing.

This has never happened before in the history of the world.

I was kinda surprised the home team got the benefit of a little refereeing.This has never happened before in the history of the world.
I definitely think the refs missed a few calls but they also pounded GB with a number of calls early. At the end of the day they didn't lose because of the calls, they lost due to their QB. It really made no sense to me that the Vikes put all these pieces in place for a championship run but then they rely on an unproven work in progress at the most important position on the team....Childress's ultra-conservative play calling doesn't help either.

uh, sure.........
Fourth quarter

Second quarter

Tramon had inside position. Illegal contact.....I could live with that call, as any illegal contact happened before the ball was in the air. Interference? No way. By the time the ball was thrown, Tramon was running side by side with position. Let's see:

Green Bay - 12 penalties for 118 yards

Minnesota - 9 penalties for 42 yards

Yep, Vikings got screwed.

uh, sure.........
Fourth quarter

Second quarter

Tramon had inside position. Illegal contact.....I could live with that call, as any illegal contact happened before the ball was in the air. Interference? No way. By the time the ball was thrown, Tramon was running side by side with position. Let's see:

Are you saying that just because the Pack had 12 penalties that was enough? That they must not have commited any more? Trust me, they earned the 12 + a few that were missed.

uh, sure.........
Fourth quarter

Second quarter

Yes, the fact that Clifton got called for HALF of the times he held Allen makes up for the REST of the missed calls. :kicksrock:

WTF happened with the Vike's defense? I got stuck with them as my D/ST when my internet went down and my pick timed out. Truth be told, I wasn't pissed since I had them ranked high among the other D's to begin with, but now I'm starting to be. :kicksrock:

uh, sure.........
Fourth quarter

Second quarter

the replay was crystal clear. wade would have had to make a spectacular 1-handed catch.
So you're admitting it was catchable.

uh, sure.........
Fourth quarter

Second quarter

Yup...I saw those two.Though, they also called one where the WR initiated all contact and there was very little of it at that.

And the illegal man downfield...does it not have to be 5 yards downfield? Because the lineman never got past the first down line and it was 2nd and 4.

Are you saying that just because the Pack had 12 penalties that was enough? That they must not have commited any more? Trust me, they earned the 12 + a few that were missed.
Take off the purple glasses and realize some against the Pack were pretty bogus including one that took away a TD.

Yes, the fact that Clifton got called for HALF of the times he held Allen makes up for the REST of the missed calls. :rolleyes:
More crying...this is funny.He actually got called for one that was pretty ticky tack.Oh...and he only got called for 1 anyway...so I guess he only held him twice.

uh, sure.........
Fourth quarter

Second quarter

Yes, the fact that Clifton got called for HALF of the times he held Allen makes up for the REST of the missed calls. :rolleyes:
Wow, is that ever pathetic. :lol:

More crying...this is funny.He actually got called for one that was pretty ticky tack.Oh...and he only got called for 1 anyway...so I guess he only held him twice.
Left tackle Chad Clifton was penalized twice in a three-play stretch on the opening drive — once for holding and once for lining up illegally. Clifton picked up a second holding call on the Packers’ second possession, when they were flagged four times on that drive alone.
Sorry you're wrong.

It was very evident that GB was the better team last night. GB stopped themselves and should have blown the Vikes out.

Maybe they're cranky 'cuz they spent all that money and draft picks on Jared Allen and he had zero tackles.
Agreed. They're probably annoyed because they went out and made some major moves and at the end of the day it looked to be the exact team from last year. Little pass rush, bad pass defense, bad QB/passing offense, very solid against the run and very good running game.....
There was very little creative play calling on the part of the Vikings. That coaching staff is awful. Looked like the Bears offense when they had Berrian (throw it deep and pray for a flag if not a catch); they need to get their other WR's involved more on underneath routes, they seemed to have some success doing that.

Vikings go beat by a better team. That's it. Anyone who watched this team play saw that the Packers were a more complete football team.

The Vikings spent big money in the off-season to catch the Packers and started reading their own press clippings. They pumped this game up , much more than usual for a week 1 opener. Their players were talking trash in week 2 of the pre-season.

The "vaunted Vikings defense" allowed Rodgers to complete 81% of his passes and gave up 130 yards on the ground. That was done with Rodgers starting his first game of his career in the national spot light, with a backup C and G, and with a starting rb seeing his first action of the season having missed the entire pre-season.

This is an intense rivalry and the game was played with a bunch of emotion. The players were overly aggressive which is the reason for all of the penalties.

Give me a break Vikings, and Vikings fans. Have some respect for yourself. You got outplayed, and beat by the better team, for the 5th time in a row.

These are both good teams but the Packers have the better qb, the better coach, and the better playcaller.

It was very evident that GB was the better team last night. GB stopped themselves and should have blown the Vikes out.
Green Bay is the better team because they won, but how do you account for the massive amount of penalty yards that Green Bay accrued? Rodgers didn't miss a step, Grant made some huge plays and the WR's are still very dangerous. But the team won by five points against inept QB play. Even with Rodgers' great completion percentage the Packers are still going to have to hope a lot of things swing their way in order to combat all the penalties, or be fortunate enough to play against QB's who constantly force the ball at TE's who drop the pass.

Green Bay is the better team because they won, but how do you account for the massive amount of penalty yards that Green Bay accrued? Rodgers didn't miss a step, Grant made some huge plays and the WR's are still very dangerous. But the team won by five points against inept QB play. Even with Rodgers' great completion percentage the Packers are still going to have to hope a lot of things swing their way in order to combat all the penalties, or be fortunate enough to play against QB's who constantly force the ball at TE's who drop the pass.
I'll repeat: It was very evident that GB was the better team last night. GB stopped themselves and should have blown the Vikes out.

Yes, the fact that Clifton got called for HALF of the times he held Allen makes up for the REST of the missed calls. :goodposting:
Left tackle Chad Clifton was penalized twice in a three-play stretch on the opening drive — once for holding and once for lining up illegally. Clifton picked up a second holding call on the Packers’ second possession, when they were flagged four times on that drive alone.
Sorry you're wrong.
Sorry...twice...I forgot about the one on the run play that was called after Grant was already out of bounds and headed back to the huddle.Still some sour grapes...pretty funny.

Or...well, fix some mental errors like lining up illegally and holdings against Clifton that don't happen too often...or crazy illegal man down field calls.Penalties and mental errors can be fixed.Crappy coaching and a crappy QB like in Minny may not be fixable.

I'll repeat: It was very evident that GB was the better team last night. GB stopped themselves and should have blown the Vikes out.
:hot: :hot:

It was a terribly reffed game all around, but the Vikings did get the worse end of the deal.
That was how I saw it. Vikings got the worse end of the officiating deal by far it seemed to me. The no call on 3rd down when the guy mauled Wade in the 4th quarter was a game changer. :goodposting: Looking at it objectively, it seemed pretty obvious.J

Users who are viewing this thread