What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Vick the Best Player in the NFL? (1 Viewer)

gcoast3

Footballguy
Did I hear Wilbon correctly on PTI? Michael Vick is the Best Player in the NFL?

He cleaned up a Packer loss. He beat Detroit. He beat the Jags.

Against the Jags he was 17-31 - 54%

He does look good, but I need to see more of him against some of the better teams.

Once again, Wilbon jumps way ahead...

Did I hear Wilbon correctly on PTI? Michael Vick is the Best Player in the NFL?He cleaned up a Packer loss. He beat Detroit. He beat the Jags.Against the Jags he was 17-31 - 54%He does look good, but I need to see more of him against some of the better teams.Once again, Wilbon jumps way ahead...
Maybe Peyton Manning should go out and kill some helpless animals, then he could be as good as Michael Vick. :thumbdown:

I like Wilbon, but never take anything he says seriously. He changes his mind all the time, after pronouncing to the world that something or somebody has reached some exaggerated level. He's literally becoming a drama queen Bill Walton. Everything is the best or worst of all time!!!!!

I have never been a Vick fan. Sure he is exciting, and difficult to prepare for, but in the end, in playoffs, when it really matters, he has and will fail. Playoff defenses are too tough, and at some point you will need to win it with your arm. I don't think Vick can do that.

For all the good he did this weekend, 54% isn't good enough.

He does look good, but I need to see more of him against some of the better teams.

one thing about the bolded part:"Sacks taken should count against completion percentage; sacks avoided by throwing incomplete or out of bounds do. Or at least we should have a separate statistic that measures completions versus total opportunities to pass. A quarterback who throws two passes away rather than taking a sack will have a lower completion percentage, but has saved his team's chances at points. A 18 for 30 game (60%) becomes a 18 for 32 game (56.25%) with two sacks avoided-type incompletions." -jason lisk article on reference

meaning, i could easily see Vick's comp percentage going UP a few percentage points if he werent so elusive.

If he takes 2 sacks yesterday instead of running around and throwing away, he has a 58.6% comp percentage. If he avoids 3, his completion % is 61. you get the point.

full article here: http://www.pro-football-reference.com/blog/?p=6158

interesting read.

Last edited by a moderator:

Maybe Peyton Manning should go out and kill some helpless animals, then he could be as good as Michael Vick. :shrug:
http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2004112500/2...score#tab:recap

I like Wilbon, but never take anything he says seriously. He changes his mind all the time, after pronouncing to the world that something or somebody has reached some exaggerated level. He's literally becoming a drama queen Bill Walton. Everything is the best or worst of all time!!!!!

I have never been a Vick fan. Sure he is exciting, and difficult to prepare for, but in the end, in playoffs, when it really matters, he has and will fail. Playoff defenses are too tough, and at some point you will need to win it with your arm. I don't think Vick can do that.

Everyone in the sports "media" does that. How else are they going to maintain interest?

Did I hear Wilbon correctly on PTI? Michael Vick is the Best Player in the NFL?He cleaned up a Packer loss. He beat Detroit. He beat the Jags.Against the Jags he was 17-31 - 54%He does look good, but I need to see more of him against some of the better teams.Once again, Wilbon jumps way ahead...
My job is not to make accurate statements, but rather make controversial statements to put my name in the headlines and generate traffic for my employer's various media outlets. Thanks for playing.Sincerely,Wilbon

If he's saying that Vick has been the best player in the NFL through 3 weeks, then at least some sort of argument can be made.

He's clearly playing at a high level....at the moment.

O god here we go again first 2 games makes a season now 2 games makes a player the best in the league. Let's see what happens when this guy plays a real team with just a decent defense. :goodposting:

19 for 31 is 61%. Do those two incompletions really make a difference when he his throwing for 3 TD's and running for another. Those 2 passes could be throw aways, drops, wrong route, whatever. 19 for 31 and he's great and 17 for 31 he's a bum that can't throw? He more than makes up for those 2 passes with everything else he brings to the table.

The dopes on ESPN Monday Night Countdown were basically saying that Vick should be leading the race for MVP after 3 weeks. The Eagles beat Jags and Lions, 2 of the worst teams and defenses in the league....C'MON MAN!

Pretty much a stupid statement. If he was the best he would have a ring or rings. Just an idiot writer trying to sell himself.

Not totally ridiculous. He arguably the best all around athlete in the league. And if he continues to play this well, he is one of the few guys who, by himself, can completely take over a football game.

Not insane. I think its premature to say it, but i could see is looking back in week 16 and thinking it makes good sense. To be me looks like he has all the speed and quickness and athleticism of the old Vick that used to give defenses fits, along with the same arm strength, but now he has some accuracy in his passes and some veteran smarts too. Thats a dangerous combo.

:)

Maybe you should look at his QB rating, this far outweighs completion pct, which is factored in (subset) to QB rating. And the bottom line is that he is 2-0 as a starter, about to be 3-0. His ypa is off the charts as well. Vick is the NFL MVP as of today.

The dopes on ESPN Monday Night Countdown were basically saying that Vick should be leading the race for MVP after 3 weeks. The Eagles beat Jags and Lions, 2 of the worst teams and defenses in the league....C'MON MAN!
What a joke.

America loves their comeback stories. No doubt about that. Guy murders dogs and now is a hero.

Gotta love America.

I like watching Michael Vick play. He is exciting and can really make you go "wow" But he has never done anything other than upset the Packers in a divisional playoff game.

That's it.

He may be the most over hyped, over rated QB I have ever seen. He is not leading a team to a Super Bowl. He is not a field general. He is no Brady, Manning, Montana, Marino, Elway, Kelly, Brees, McNabb, Etc. He does not have the intangiable qualities a championship type QB has.

Once he starts playing some really good teams...the truth will be known and his limitations will be exposed.....again.

He has looked great, no doubt. But I have seen this movie many times and it always had the same ending. Granted he has much better talent around him now, I still have to see it week in week out against top teams to be convinced he has turned the corner and can lead a team to the promised land

Vick = dog torturer

:hot:

Don't care what else he does.

And P.S. Tony Dungy is a total fraud for endorsing Vick while criticizing Rex Ryan. I guess in his world, torturing defenseless animals is fine but F-bombs should be condemned. :no:

What a joke.

America loves their comeback stories. No doubt about that. Guy murders dogs and now is a hero.

Gotta love America.

I like watching Michael Vick play. He is exciting and can really make you go "wow" But he has never done anything other than upset the Packers in a divisional playoff game.

That's it.

He may be the most over hyped, over rated QB I have ever seen. He is not leading a team to a Super Bowl. He is not a field general. He is no Brady, Manning, Montana, Marino, Elway, Kelly, Brees, McNabb, Etc. He does not have the intangiable qualities a championship type QB has.

Once he starts playing some really good teams...the truth will be known and his limitations will be exposed.....again.

He has looked great, no doubt. But I have seen this movie many times and it always had the same ending. Granted he has much better talent around him now, I still have to see it week in week out against top teams to be convinced he has turned the corner and can lead a team to the promised land
Why exactly shouldn't Vick be leading the MVP race at this moment of the season? If not leading it, he certainly should be one of the top 3 runners for it. The guy has amassed 920 yds of offense, 7 total TDs, 0 turnovers and a 2-0 record as a starter. Who has better numbers than that right now?Will he keep it up? I don't know nor do I care. Maybe he will fall apart and we'll all be talking about how big a mistake he was as the starter in 6 more weeks. People are excited about what he has done thus far though and why shouldn't they be? He's been nothing short of awesome through 2.5 games. The lack of objectivity some people have on this topic is alarming.

What a joke.

Gotta love America.

That's it.

:hot: It is almost laughable the things being said about Vick right now. Two words - Jacksonville & Detroit.

It's the hyperbole and overstatement that kills me.

Why can't it be enough to say, "Michael Vick is playing extremely well through three weeks, albeit against questionable opponents."

It has to be he's the best player in the NFL? And if you disagree with that statement you're somehow a hater? This world is really going insane. Everyone is so caught up in being heard over the overwhelming noise that there's a need to rush to judgment and declare things as historically significant when, in fact, sometimes they just are what they are.

What a joke.

Gotta love America.

That's it.

Who called him a hero?He was a pretty good winning % and has never had great tools around him. He looks great, and as far as football goes, it has been a great story and he should be an MVP candidate.

It's the hyperbole and overstatement that kills me.Why can't it be enough to say, "Michael Vick is playing extremely well through three weeks, albeit against questionable opponents."It has to be he's the best player in the NFL? And if you disagree with that statement you're somehow a hater? This world is really going insane. Everyone is so caught up in being heard over the overwhelming noise that there's a need to rush to judgment and declare things as historically significant when, in fact, sometimes they just are what they are.
Yep, it's....LOOK AT ME, LOOK AT ME!!!!! I'M A SPORTS SHOCK JOCK!!!!And the whole "second chance" story is making me ill. The guy still purposely chose to put animals through unimaginable suffering. And yeah, he paid his debt and all that but he's still a total s-bag in my book.You don't drown and hang dogs one day and deserve to be cheered the next.

What a joke.

Gotta love America.

That's it.

Who called him a hero?He was a pretty good winning % and has never had great tools around him. He looks great, and as far as football goes, it has been a great story and he should be an MVP candidate.
I bet the upwards of 100 dogs he killed don't think it's such a "great story".Let's just say they guy is a talented NFL player who is currently playing well - and leave it at that. The "story" is that his hobby was torturing dogs (until he got caught).

What a joke.

Gotta love America.

That's it.

Based on what - the hard schedule he has had thus far? Cutler has had a much bigger impact on his team than Vick.

It's the hyperbole and overstatement that kills me.Why can't it be enough to say, "Michael Vick is playing extremely well through three weeks."
It's the hyperbole of diminishing his results that kill me. Why can't it be enough to just stop the statement there? Or finish it with "if he keeps this up he will be one of the front runners for league MVP."That's all 99% of us are saying. If the season ended today, granted it's only 3 weeks, Vick would likely win the MVP award. If not win it he would easily be in the running. I don't care about Vick and I'm far from a Philly fan but this just seems obvious.

And P.S. Tony Dungy is a total fraud for endorsing Vick while criticizing Rex Ryan. I guess in his world, torturing defenseless animals is fine but F-bombs should be condemned. :unsure:
:popcorn: :thumbup: And a racist :unsure: I loathe Dungy....still think he was one of the most overrated Coaches in the game....pretty much any Coach with Manning under center can/will win a SB...Dungy was very average before Manning saved his Coaching career.

I have never been a Vick fan. Sure he is exciting, and difficult to prepare for, but in the end, in playoffs, when it really matters, he has and will fail. Playoff defenses are too tough, and at some point you will need to win it with your arm. I don't think Vick can do that. For all the good he did this weekend, 54% isn't good enough.
Both of these arguments are so weak.1. Vick is 2-3 in the playoffs. How many quarterbacks even have TWO PLAYOFF WINS in their careers???2. Quarterbacks with completion percentages above 60% in 2009: Jason Campbell, David Garrard, Alex Smith3. John Elway and Eli Manning won Super Bowls with completion percentages in the 56% range.4. Vick's legs make up for the 5% deficiency in his passing game.

What a joke.

Gotta love America.

That's it.

I bet the upwards of 100 dogs he killed don't think it's such a "great story".Let's just say they guy is a talented NFL player who is currently playing well - and leave it at that. The "story" is that his hobby was torturing dogs (until he got caught).
Your argument is silly and lacks any form of logic. I am not, nor has anyone, excused what Vick did. But he went to prison and was reinstated into the NFL. Since being in the NFL, he has made a lot of amazing plays, that 99.9% of human beings ever to play QB could not make. From a football standpoint, that is a great story. That has nothing to do with dogs, or his personal life.

And P.S. Tony Dungy is a total fraud for endorsing Vick while criticizing Rex Ryan. I guess in his world, torturing defenseless animals is fine but F-bombs should be condemned. :rolleyes:
:thumbup: :thumbup: And a racist :unsure: I loathe Dungy....still think he was one of the most overrated Coaches in the game....pretty much any Coach with Manning under center can/will win a SB...Dungy was very average before Manning saved his Coaching career.
Average? Please. He was a very good defensive coach. And if any coach with Manning can win a ring, why is Dungy the only to do it?RACIST? You're an idiot. When did Dungy say anything about what Vick did to the dogs, when he commented on how Vick played? He didn't. Vick did horrible things, but that doesn't mean that whoever acknowledges what he does on the football field is condoning those things. Nor does it make them racist (idiot).

And P.S. Tony Dungy is a total fraud for endorsing Vick while criticizing Rex Ryan. I guess in his world, torturing defenseless animals is fine but F-bombs should be condemned. :rolleyes:
:thumbup: :unsure: And a racist :unsure:

I loathe Dungy....still think he was one of the most overrated Coaches in the game....pretty much any Coach with Manning under center can/will win a SB...Dungy was very average before Manning saved his Coaching career.
Average? Please. He was a very good defensive coach. And if any coach with Manning can win a ring, why is Dungy the only to do it?RACIST? You're an idiot.

When did Dungy say anything about what Vick did to the dogs, when he commented on how Vick played? He didn't. Vick did horrible things, but that doesn't mean that whoever acknowledges what he does on the football field is condoning those things. Nor does it make them racist (idiot).
His playoff record prior to Indy was 2-4 and he was just over .500 in 6 yrs with Tampa....Chucky came in and won the SB in his 1st year in Tampa.Dungy = Average Head Coach

Dungy never says anything wrong about a player of color :thumbup:

And didn't Caldwell just take Indy to the SB in his FIRST damn year in INdy....he'll win one with Manning as well!!!

What a joke.

Gotta love America.

That's it.

Your argument is silly and lacks any form of logic. I am not, nor has anyone, excused what Vick did. But he went to prison and was reinstated into the NFL. Since being in the NFL, he has made a lot of amazing plays, that 99.9% of human beings ever to play QB could not make. From a football standpoint, that is a great story. That has nothing to do with dogs, or his personal life.
Like I said I really like watching him play. Like I said he has looked great thus far.

But our media is a joke. 3 weeks into the season and people are calling out MVP chants? Give me a friggin break. The season is not even half over.

Give it time. Let the season unfold at least before you run out and crown the guy.

Sheesh what a dumb, over hyped, shock media country we live in. Michael Vick is a very gifted player. When he leads his team into the post season and at the very least get's them into the Super Bowl then talk to me about a possible MVP award. Not after he beats up on 2 teams that are garbage thus far in this young season.

That is the point.

And didn't Caldwell just take Indy to the SB in his FIRST damn year in INdy....
Caldwell 0-1 in the big game, the only game that counts. Obviously he's a terrible coach if he can't win under that kind of pressure. Dungy was able to win with the same players, yada yada yada Shark Pool masturbation etc. etc.

:thumbup: :thumbup: And a racist :unsure:

I loathe Dungy....still think he was one of the most overrated Coaches in the game....pretty much any Coach with Manning under center can/will win a SB...Dungy was very average before Manning saved his Coaching career.
Average? Please. He was a very good defensive coach. And if any coach with Manning can win a ring, why is Dungy the only to do it?RACIST? You're an idiot.

When did Dungy say anything about what Vick did to the dogs, when he commented on how Vick played? He didn't. Vick did horrible things, but that doesn't mean that whoever acknowledges what he does on the football field is condoning those things. Nor does it make them racist (idiot).
His playoff record prior to Indy was 2-4 and he was just over .500 in 6 yrs with Tampa....Chucky came in and won the SB in his 1st year in Tampa.Dungy = Average Head Coach

Dungy never says anything wrong about a player of color :popcorn:

And didn't Caldwell just take Indy to the SB in his FIRST damn year in INdy....he'll win one with Manning as well!!!
Player of color? Are you over the age of 50?He JUST said that he would have suspended Braylon Edwards and that Braylon let his team down. What does he say about players "of no color?"

Does the average head coach have a ring, or a rebuild process as well as the one Dungy did in TB?

M-Vic is playing lights out but I'll take D-Bre, T-Bra and P-Man over him.
are those the only 3 you'd take over him? are you talking fantasy or real life? i assume real life.cause i'd take Rivers, Romo, Cutler, Rodgers, Flacco, Roeth, Stafford, Orton and prolly more over Vick as well. yea, he's playing well, but we'll see how long it lasts.he tore up the Jags, and the Lions. woopity doo.

Why the name calling? Vacation coming?

And P.S. Tony Dungy is a total fraud for endorsing Vick while criticizing Rex Ryan. I guess in his world, torturing defenseless animals is fine but F-bombs should be condemned. :wall:
:pickle: :shrug: And a racist :unsure: I loathe Dungy....still think he was one of the most overrated Coaches in the game....pretty much any Coach with Manning under center can/will win a SB...Dungy was very average before Manning saved his Coaching career.
Average? Please. He was a very good defensive coach. And if any coach with Manning can win a ring, why is Dungy the only to do it?RACIST? You're an idiot. When did Dungy say anything about what Vick did to the dogs, when he commented on how Vick played? He didn't. Vick did horrible things, but that doesn't mean that whoever acknowledges what he does on the football field is condoning those things. Nor does it make them racist (idiot).

He's far from the best player in the league, but I'd put him in the conversation of the best athlete in the league. I could see him playing 5 or 6 positions at a high level in the NFL.

I don't like him as a person and I hope he has learned from his past mistakes, but as a fan of the game, I love his athletic ability. Freaky good IMO.

Why the name calling? Vacation coming?

And P.S. Tony Dungy is a total fraud for endorsing Vick while criticizing Rex Ryan. I guess in his world, torturing defenseless animals is fine but F-bombs should be condemned. :wall:
:pickle: :shrug: And a racist :unsure: I loathe Dungy....still think he was one of the most overrated Coaches in the game....pretty much any Coach with Manning under center can/will win a SB...Dungy was very average before Manning saved his Coaching career.
Mod?The guy is calling a man racist, claiming that he doesn't say anything negative about "people of color". Which is not only a lie, but more offensive than me calling a spade a spade.

You should really try watching football. AS you obviously have not watch a full series of Vicks play this year or you wouldn't say that. He IS doing it with his arm. Yet people continue to trot out there 2006 Michael Vick talking points. He has a cannon, and now the eagles have actually coached him up, whereas the falcons essentially jsut 'let him do him' with next to no real instruction. It was a joke really. Jim Moron cared more about having Vick like him.

Users who are viewing this thread