What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

USA Shootings (1 Viewer)

Ten-year-old in Houston, Texas accidentally shot by babysitter

Harris County Sherriff Ed Gonzales told the news site the weapon was kept unsecured at home.

"The female indicates that she retrieved that weapon to take pictures, and in the course of taking pictures the gun went off and struck the child," he added.

"Very tragic situation, we see this quite a bit."
I'm sure she's just a very violent person. Surely, nothing could have prevented this tragedy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Molston shooter - was armed with two handguns

keep passing those AR15 ban's though .... :(     

"The female indicates that she retrieved that weapon to take pictures,'   ban cameras? ban taking picture? ban stupid ? 

guns and ammo are being bought like crazy right now

I'm wondering if any left leaning, previously anti-gun people are changing their minds and seeing a need for self defense ?

guns and ammo are being bought like crazy right now

I'm wondering if any left leaning, previously anti-gun people are changing their minds and seeing a need for self defense ?
I'm strongly considering stocking up on some ammo.  I would only be buying ammo for my .22lr and shotguns.  I don't really have much for shotgun shells so I could use some stock any way.  It would be hunting purposes but know that I could use them for defense if absolutely needed.  I'm not going to be buying an AR-15 or anything like that.

I am shocked at all the AR15 and AK47 "out of stock" ammo and guns online

I bet there are 10 million new gun owners today than there were 3 weeks ago !

Stealthycat said:
I am shocked at all the AR15 and AK47 "out of stock" ammo and guns online

I bet there are 10 million new gun owners today than there were 3 weeks ago !
I went to my local farm supply store yesterday and bought some ammo for my .22 and shotguns.  There was one person at the counter in the process of buying a gun and another group of guys looking at ammo and possibly a gun as well.  I overheard them talking to the working about everything going on and she said it's been crazy.  Guns and ammo sales went up drastically.

bagger said:
I am not planning on shooting the corona virus.
nobody else is either

I overheard them talking to the working about everything going on and she said it's been crazy.  Guns and ammo sales went up drastically.
yes - and that was my questions / thoughts ... I wonder how many new gun owners have been produced because of this? How many people who thought weeks ago that guns were no use now realize just how quickly a situation turns and how valuable they really are for self defense scenarios?

nobody else is either

yes - and that was my questions / thoughts ... I wonder how many new gun owners have been produced because of this? How many people who thought weeks ago that guns were no use now realize just how quickly a situation turns and how valuable they really are for self defense scenarios?
Probably a good amount.  Those would be people who were always on the fence.  The people who have always been strongly against guns are still not going to buy any guns... yet.

I went to my local farm supply store yesterday and bought some ammo for my .22 and shotguns.  There was one person at the counter in the process of buying a gun and another group of guys looking at ammo and possibly a gun as well.  I overheard them talking to the working about everything going on and she said it's been crazy.  Guns and ammo sales went up drastically.
Well, if my anecdotal facebook feed is any indication, it's my gun-loving friends that are openly buying more weapon and ammo - and then posting memes about how they'll shoot anybody who tries to loot their homes and how they'll win if a real-life Purge breaks out. 

And, again anecdotally, I'm a guy who thinks owning a gun is -EV (in other words I'm not philosophically opposed to guns and don't want them banned - I just think it's a poor decision to own one) and it hasn't occurred to me at all to change my mind on that. 

So, my presumption (which admittedly isn't based on real reliable data) is that it's mostly prior gun-owners buying up all the guns and ammo. 

Well, if my anecdotal facebook feed is any indication, it's my gun-loving friends that are openly buying more weapon and ammo - and then posting memes about how they'll shoot anybody who tries to loot their homes and how they'll win if a real-life Purge breaks out. 

And, again anecdotally, I'm a guy who thinks owning a gun is -EV (in other words I'm not philosophically opposed to guns and don't want them banned - I just think it's a poor decision to own one) and it hasn't occurred to me at all to change my mind on that. 

So, my presumption (which admittedly isn't based on real reliable data) is that it's mostly prior gun-owners buying up all the guns and ammo. 
This is accurate.  The majority is going to be from people who already own guns.  You're anecdotal experience is the same as mine, my Facebook feed is exactly the same and I am friends with a lot of outdoorsmen.

Probably a good amount.  Those would be people who were always on the fence.  The people who have always been strongly against guns are still not going to buy any guns... yet.
Not true is all cases..my BIL who is a anti gun chemical engineer just got his CCW and also bought a hunting rifle.  Of course he did not tell me or anyone but my SIL told us. 

I texted him  a few days ago and said 'Hey Jeff..I heard you joined the NRA"  The guy has zero sense of humor and just said "Did not join NRA, just want some protection if needed" 

They have a place in Florida they drive to a couple time a year and my SIL said he wants to carry on the long trips my themselves just in case. What concerns me about people like him is that he could be disarmed in 5 seconds.

Not true is all cases..my BIL who is a anti gun chemical engineer just got his CCW and also bought a hunting rifle.  Of course he did not tell me or anyone but my SIL told us. 

I texted him  a few days ago and said 'Hey Jeff..I heard you joined the NRA"  The guy has zero sense of humor and just said "Did not join NRA, just want some protection if needed" 

They have a place in Florida they drive to a couple time a year and my SIL said he wants to carry on the long trips my themselves just in case. What concerns me about people like him is that he could be disarmed in 5 seconds.
There are always going to be exceptions.

• Smile
Reactions: Zow
The one I've been seeing lately is the Office meme with Jim smiling through the blinds and the caption is "Gun Owners watching non gun owners stockpile apocalypse supplies for them."  Kinda sounds like they're the ones planning to do the looting.  Funny stuff right there.  

The one I've been seeing lately is the Office meme with Jim smiling through the blinds and the caption is "Gun Owners watching non gun owners stockpile apocalypse supplies for them."  Kinda sounds like they're the ones planning to do the looting.  Funny stuff right there.  
I have to admit, some of my friends seem to want some sort of confrontation or violent civil unrest (so, I presume, they can tell people like me that I was wrong). 

I have to admit, some of my friends seem to want some sort of confrontation or violent civil unrest (so, I presume, they can tell people like me that I was wrong). 
Some people want to live out the Walking Dead scenario.  There's a major appeal to it for some.

Of course, but my BIL has never hunted or shot a gun in his life until he had to take the testing. He is the kind of guy an intruder would take the gun away from.
He may still be. A rifle seems like a poor choice for self defense, particularly on the road

Unbridled Freedom. I've been saying it for some time now. We are seeing it again with a new killer.

It's what keeps us from protecting ourselves, from ourselves. We are seeing it again with the Covid 19 pandemic. People believe they have the right to be free. To move around freely. To assemble freely. And to own guns.

Taking away a defined freedom from Americans is not an easy process. And not one that is accepted or complied with by the entire population uniformly. I see people going to stores, restaurants, beaches, etc. They lack regard to the well being of others, similar to those that choose to own a gun. People are free to choose what's best for themselves over what's best for others.

I wonder how many posters here (that chastise gun owners) are not social distancing or self isolating.  

Unbridled Freedom. I've been saying it for some time now. We are seeing it again with a new killer.

It's what keeps us from protecting ourselves, from ourselves. We are seeing it again with the Covid 19 pandemic. People believe they have the right to be free. To move around freely. To assemble freely. And to own guns.

Taking away a defined freedom from Americans is not an easy process. And not one that is accepted or complied with by the entire population uniformly. I see people going to stores, restaurants, beaches, etc. They lack regard to the well being of others, similar to those that choose to own a gun. People are free to choose what's best for themselves over what's best for others.

I wonder how many posters here (that chastise gun owners) are not social distancing or self isolating.  
Hi KC. 

Hope all is well, especially in these times, you haven't been round much.

Hi KC. 

Hope all is well, especially in these times, you haven't been round much.
Hi BST, 

I'm well, although a little bored. I've only been out twice in the past 3 weeks. (once to the bank, and once to my MIL's empty rental house). Hope you are doing well also. I'll pop in from time to time to browse the threads, but I've found other places to share my opinions without all the faux utopia censorship. 

Everyone stay safe. Stay in touch with those important to you. I'd also suggest that you document and save memories from this time. This is a significant moment in history that you will remember for the rest of your life and share with future generations.

Hi BST, 

I'm well, although a little bored. I've only been out twice in the past 3 weeks. (once to the bank, and once to my MIL's empty rental house). Hope you are doing well also. I'll pop in from time to time to browse the threads, but I've found other places to share my opinions without all the faux utopia censorship. 
BST got some forced utopia vacay time currently. For pressing a like/sad/thinking/laughing/love/thanks button, not even a reply, to a post apparently. 

Wait what?  Really?  Someone actually got suspended for a like?
There was a certain poster the laughing responded to just about anything that didn't downplay the coronavirus. It was pointed out to the moderators. BST may have been swept up in the fallout, that would be my guess

There was a certain poster the laughing responded to just about anything that didn't downplay the coronavirus. It was pointed out to the moderators. BST may have been swept up in the fallout, that would be my guess
Wow...i mean if there os a fallout for laughing they missed a few.  Seems bad of we are getting moderated for the like feature.

BST got some forced utopia vacay time currently. For pressing a like/sad/thinking/laughing/love/thanks button, not even a reply, to a post apparently. 
:shrug:

He walks a fine line with a lot of his posts.  It’s not surprising he’s getting a TO.  I can’t imagine this is his first.

I guess we are seeing why some people stockpile ammo. With some stores being deemed non essential, gun owners are finding it difficult to buy any ammo. Much less stockpile it. 

The 2nd Amendment is going to get a boost once we get past this pandemic. 

I guess we are seeing why some people stockpile ammo. With some stores being deemed non essential, gun owners are finding it difficult to buy any ammo. Much less stockpile it. 

The 2nd Amendment is going to get a boost once we get past this pandemic. 
Just curious as someone who has never even touched a gun, what do you consider a stockpile of ammo? If you own a basic handgun, how much ammo do you think is good amount to have to ensure you can defend yourself? 

Just curious as someone who has never even touched a gun, what do you consider a stockpile of ammo? If you own a basic handgun, how much ammo do you think is good amount to have to ensure you can defend yourself? 
Three months ago, I would have said that 300 rounds per gun was an acceptable amount. Today, I think that number is much, much higher. perhaps 1000 rounds per gun. That also would depend on the gun. A single shot or revolver would go through less rounds. Where a semi automatic would go through more. The same way Vietnam soldiers fired more rounds than WWI soldiers. 

We don't know what the next 6 months hold. Remember the conversations a few years ago about the impossible task of standing up against our mighty military? That same military could get decimated by an invisible virus. Could that weakness leave us susceptible to attacks from other countries? Maybe. If that happened, how much ammo would you want?

The other scenario is the deterioration of police forces across the country. We are starting to see it in NY. We could see pockets of civil unrest as things progressively get worse. If there is no police to protect you, and a percent of the population is without basic necessities because their $1200 stimulus check didn't go far enough, how much ammo would you want?

I shoot quite a bit so it may skew what is typical, but I re -order ammo when I get down to 1,000 rounds of 5.56, 9mm, or 45acp and at 2,000 of 22lr.  These are what I shoot most of.  I probably have 200-300 for my various hunting rifles on hand at any time as well.  I don't consider this stockpiling though.  If I was stockpiling it would be around 10K rounds of the common stuff and 50K of 22lr.  It just doesn't take much space to store that much ammo and for the last couple years it has been ridiculously cheep to buy.  

I shoot quite a bit so it may skew what is typical, but I re -order ammo when I get down to 1,000 rounds of 5.56, 9mm, or 45acp and at 2,000 of 22lr.  These are what I shoot most of.  I probably have 200-300 for my various hunting rifles on hand at any time as well.  I don't consider this stockpiling though.  If I was stockpiling it would be around 10K rounds of the common stuff and 50K of 22lr.  It just doesn't take much space to store that much ammo and for the last couple years it has been ridiculously cheep to buy.  
I wouldn't consider that stockpiling since you are using them. I was just thinking more for the person who has the gun for protection but doesn't regularly go to a range. 

If you own a basic handgun, how much ammo do you think is good amount to have to ensure you can defend yourself? 
Sorry, I missed the last part of your question.  I think a box or two of ammo would typically be enough to have on hand for everyday carry and/or home defense.  Under normal conditions you can get practice ammo at the range when you go.  

shortages of food / TP etc ... in the inner cities I'd think even a 5% dip in unemployment would be huge but ... so far, I'm wrong and people are not doing it

if/when food EVER becomes a real shortage? it will be mass chaos, people will do anything to eat and/or feed their families 

Users who are viewing this thread