What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

TV actor that starred in three great series (1 Viewer)

As with any other thread like this, it devolves into people scouring IMDB for any bio that lists 3 shows that had decent runs and/or were popular no matter how small a role the person played.

I was certain John Lithgow would be on this list

3rd Rock

Dexter (Trinity killer was by far the best season, one of my favorite seasons across any show)

Can't think of a 3rd though..

As with any other thread like this, it devolves into people scouring IMDB for any bio that lists 3 shows that had decent runs and/or were popular no matter how small a role the person played.
OP claimed Tambor had starring roles in Larry Sanders and Arrested Development. Two clearly supporting roles.

Lucille Ball is awfully tough to beat. Her two shows following "I Love Lucy" were not the behemoth that "I Love Lucy" was, but they were very successful.

She has almost five hundred episodes of Top Ten ratings.

Last edited by a moderator:
The answer to the OP is a no so far IMHO

We'll have to see what roles Michael C Hall can line up....he has a legit shot at this

Mary Tyler Moore

Dyke Van Dyke

Mary Tyler Moore

Mary Tyler More Show

Mary Tyler Moore Hour

Mary

Mary Tyler

Tyler Mary Moore Show

Mary's Variety Hour

Hey, Yer Another Show with You Know Who

Timothy Olyphant was my first thought with: Deadwood and Justified as for sures. Not sure if Damages qualifies as a 3rd for him.

Idris Elba has The Wire, Luther and one season on The Office. :shrug:

Has any other TV actor ever had starring roles in three different shows as good as Jeffrey Tambor? I can't think of any.
An interesting question. Finding a third show for most actors is the problem. Of course "shows as good as" is pretty subjective. The three shows you list for Tambor are three shows that I've never seen an episode of, so for me I can probably compile a pretty good list (many have already been listed), but on most the third show is going to be questionable. Does a large number of episodes qualify, or does a brief yet popular run qualify?

Do any of you understand what "starring" and "great" mean?
Well, the OP doesn't say "great", but the "starring" part is throwing people too. Starring does not equal leading, but it also doesn't mean a reoccurring bit part. Scratch that, the post doesn't say "great", but the thread title does.

Like I said, an interesting question.

People should list the shows because I'm having a hard time with some. Tambor's got Larry Sanders, Arrested Development, and Transparent.
That's one great show and two overrated shows.
You could at least tell us which ones you think suck
Based on his post, I'm guessing that he thinks the great show is The Ropers
Tambor did parlay some very funny guest appearances on Three's Company to that role on The Ropers.

Interesting topic although I think the spinoffs should be eliminated.

An actor who has played three distinct major rolls to critical acclaim

So, yeah, when I said "starred", I meant something more like "a principal actor on the show." I don't really care about "lead" actor v. "supporting" actor, a lot of those judgments are pretty arbitrary anyway. But those of you trying to sneak in somebody who had a single-season recurring role or a guest role on a show know you're full of it.

There have been a few good picks so far, but as somebody posted earlier, there are a lot of actors that have been in two great shows, but finding that third great show is really tough. Peter Krause is a solid choice. Julia Louis Dreyfuss is a decent choice too, although I don't really remember "Old Christine" being discussed as a great show at the time. Phil Hartman sort of stretches the boundaries of what I was going for, but I like it. I haven't seen some shows that have been mentioned so I can't judge some entries.

I still think Tambor's three are tops, but that might just be my idiosyncratic tastes.

Rooting around in IMDB can be informative.

I thought maybe Harry Morgan, and sure enough there's Dragnet and MASH. I was sure he was in a third, but not so.

I see he was in 72 episodes of a show called Pete and Gladys in '60-'61. I have never heard of it, and don't know how popular it was (maybe the fact it was only 2 seasons answers that), but now I have.

When you see all of these different shows actors have been in, it shows how difficult a "hit" really is to stumble into.

i thought jack klugman for odd couple, quincy....i would need his 3rd to be twilight zone. he was in 4 of them, but the pool hall episode with jon winters maybe gets him 2.5?

Rob Lowe was my first thought.

The West Wing

Parks & Rec

Brothers and Sisters

He also has a new series that I haven't watched but that seems to be doing well, The Grinder.

Jeffrey Tambor and Julia-Louis Dreyfuss are tough to beat here, but I'd put my namesake's frequent collaborator Bob Odenkirk up there on the second tier with Breaking Bad, Better Call Saul and Mr Show along with a supporting role on Fargo and guest appearances on pretty much every great comedy of the last two decades.

Michael C Hall (who was actually the lead in two great shows until Dexter tanked in the later years) and Danny DeVito are both one great show short of taking over this thing.

Not sure if it was mentioned:

Jimmy Smits - L.A. Law, NYPD Blue, The West Wing

Users who are viewing this thread