What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Trump issues executive order freezing federal workers' pay in 2019 (1 Viewer)

well good

if you expect that from your employer, and your employer doesn't come through ... quit and find another job somewhere ? nobody forces you to work there, right ?
Well, yes.  The good young folks are doing precisely that.  I replace them until someone, usually not as good, stays.  Training and then losing people costs you the taxpayer (thank you) money.  Your gov got weaker, but now costs more.  You have another canned quip to throw out?

I have 2 years until I hit the 50 years old + 20 years of service pension milestone, and I am doing precisely that (leaving).  I am taking my experience and walking out the door in May of 2021 at 50 years of age.  I know people through working with EB, Lockheed, EMS, Raytheon, etc and can go with them.  Or just retire.  But I'm done as a fed.  The guy who will inherit my duties is not as good.  (I'm one of those arcane SMEs).  He will cost you the same, and he will have to hire and train (and probably lose) his own replacement.  Your gov is getting hollowed out.  It is not getting cheaper.

That's about all I have to say at the moment.  I'm sure you are all tired of my spew.  These are the facts on the ground, and it is devastating in the R&D wing of the civilian enterprise.  Next time a war comes around, don't be expecting game-changers (like Stealth in Gulf War I) to make it as easy.  Expect a bloody nose - fair warning.

Well, yes.  The good young folks are doing precisely that.  I replace them until someone, usually not as good, stays.  Training and then losing people costs you the taxpayer (thank you) money.  Your gov got weaker, but now costs more.  You have another canned quip to throw out?

I have 2 years until I hit the 50 years old + 20 years of service pension milestone, and I am doing precisely that (leaving).  I am taking my experience and walking out the door in May of 2021 at 50 years of age.  I know people through working with EB, Lockheed, EMS, Raytheon, etc and can go with them.  Or just retire.  But I'm done as a fed.  The guy who will inherit my duties is not as good.  (I'm one of those arcane SMEs).  He will cost you the same, and he will have to hire and train (and probably lose) his own replacement.  Your gov is getting hollowed out.  It is not getting cheaper.

That's about all I have to say at the moment.  I'm sure you are all tired of my spew.  These are the facts on the ground, and it is devastating in the R&D wing of the civilian enterprise.  Next time a war comes around, don't be expecting game-changers (like Stealth in Gulf War I) to make it as easy.  Expect a bloody nose - fair warning.
Unfortunately, I don’t think relevant experience and institutional knowledge are valued much anymore. If someone is willfully ignorant and has no idea what it takes to do a job, he mistakenly figures that anyone can do it.  The recent revelations about the transition (or lack thereof) exemplify the current state of affairs in this regard. And this approach is resulting in the widespread departure of invaluable personnel across a broad range of federal agencies. I don’t blame you one bit for your decision, but it’s a damn shame nonetheless.  Thank you for your service and best of luck to you with your next chapter. 

Last edited by a moderator:
How Republicans convince poor people to vote against their own interests is just one of those mysteries I'll never get.
It isn't a mystery.  It is the same thing that has been driving the votes of poor whites, particularly in the south, for a long time.

Unfortunately, I don’t think relevant experience and institutional knowledge are valued much anymore. If someone is willfully ignorant and has no idea what it takes to do a job, he mistakenly figures that anyone can do it.  The recent revelations about the transition (or lack thereof) exemplify the current state of affairs in this regard. And this approach is resulting in the widespread departure of invaluable personnel across a broad range of federal agencies. I don’t blame you one bit for your decision, but it’s a damn shame nonetheless.  Thank you for your service and best of luck to you with your next chapter. 
Thank you, but there is no need to thank me for my service.  I was paid properly for my work, just like you or anyone else.

One bright spot, regarding R&D, just to dispel my earlier gloom and doom.  To some extent, maintaining a technological edge really does come down to how much a government is willing to spend, and we do and will continue to spend a lot.  We might not spend very efficiently, and this will probably get worse, but we will still be churning out solid advances, much of which we will be able to keep adversaries from stealing.  We'll remain competitive militarily for the foreseeable future.

Hi I'm working for "free" again today!!!!

Wish I could use my earned vacation time

:)

I think people that have to work automatically get paid, it’s only the furloughed employees that are at the mercy of Congress and Trump.
Technically we should eventually yes.  But it still is "nerve wracking"  wondering if something different happens this time.   I can't really complain about not getting to take vacation when people aren't working might not get paid.   Most likely they will but a slight chance they won't

That's about all I have to say at the moment.  I'm sure you are all tired of my spew.

I mean ideally every employee would be hard working with no issues but that's not a reality in business of any kind where there is an employer / employee

Govt isn't exempt from that either

You have a different view being a Govt employee, I don't grow tired of reading about it at all because I'm not a Govt employee and maybe I can learn something. Not sure what the last part is ......... because of a years wage freeze Govt employee's will stop working? Or not work as hard R&D or ?? They're paid to do a job, just like I am ......... and in 2019 I'll do my job to get my check and yes, I'll be a bit bitter about no pay raise, but I'll still do my job and if I don't, my company might fire me for it

I mean ideally every employee would be hard working with no issues but that's not a reality in business of any kind where there is an employer / employee

Govt isn't exempt from that either

You have a different view being a Govt employee, I don't grow tired of reading about it at all because I'm not a Govt employee and maybe I can learn something. Not sure what the last part is ......... because of a years wage freeze Govt employee's will stop working? Or not work as hard R&D or ?? They're paid to do a job, just like I am ......... and in 2019 I'll do my job to get my check and yes, I'll be a bit bitter about no pay raise, but I'll still do my job and if I don't, my company might fire me for it
If the CEO of my company unilaterally takes away my previously granted raise just days before it is scheduled to go into effect and offers no legitimate and justifiable reason for doing so, I may just start evaluating other options, particularly if I can make more by going to work for a private defense contractor.  

Not sure what the last part is ......... because of a years wage freeze Govt employee's will stop working? Or not work as hard R&D or ??

I've said plenty above.  The issues, the timeframe over which they have developed (2010 onwards), and their impact are all explained quite clearly.

Two sentence summary:  In my experience since 2010, the top half of the young employees I have hired and/or worked with have left government R&D employment, typically at ages 25 to 28, and they are leaving because of shutdowns and inadequate pay increases.  The work is still funded and must be staffed (same cost to you), and is being staffed by weaker young employees who are less likely to leave (reduced bang for your buck).

Hi I'm working for "free" again today!!!!

Wish I could use my earned vacation time

:)
Sincerely, I'm so sorry GB.  Feel terrible for you and everyone else in your position.

That said, you and everyone in the office should email, tweet at, whatever, Trump to end this pointless BS.

that the republican party is no longer truly conservative is proved by a current iteration republican asserting that 3 billion is peanuts take that to the bank bromigos 

Thank you.    :)    I don't want to say what I do but just know I am part of a team that helps the guys that keep your skies safe  :)
Sounds like a good place to balance the budget and find funding for a wall to me !  Because walls work and Feds don't.

Thank you.    :)    I don't want to say what I do but just know I am part of a team that helps the guys, that keep your skies safe  :)
Just say where you work and a bunch of FBGs will be more than willing to take you out for happy hour. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread