What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

treatment of Whoopi Goldberg vs Roseanne Barre (1 Viewer)

Generally speaking a form which contains race as a question for some form of government data gathering would include

• White
  • Black or African American
  • American Indian or Alaska Native
  • Asian
  • Native Hawaiian or Other Pacific Islander
So this is a case where Whoopi is correct in a certain technical sense.  But she is still wrong in the sense of the word would be used in the context of the Holocaust.  

Yea, but if you take an ancestry test and you're a Jew Jew it's coming back Ashkenazi.  

They're genetically distinct and therefore a race. 

I can't stand either person, and wish they would both go away, but in my opinion, what Whoopi said wasn't on the same level.  What Whoopi said was ignorant and obtuse.  What Roseanne said was hateful.  That is a big difference to me.  

I find that issue it be irrelevant to meaningless in a capitalistic society.
For me the issue is consistency.  If they want to punish people they should do so consistently and not different degrees based on political views and wokeness.

For me the issue is consistency.  If they want to punish people they should do so consistently and not different degrees based on political views and wokeness.
Who is they?  They work for different companies and said far different things.  Do you believe both saod equally nad things?

I was going disparate treament. Sorry I broke your free speech only rulz.

GOD ALMIGHTEE HEAVENS TO BETSY!!!
Still no clue what you're talking about.  The rules we have in place for sexual misconduct are wildly different than the rules for saying dumb things.  There's no reason why a person would have similar views about Al Franken and Rosanne Barr, because the stuff that they did belong to two fundamentally different categories.

The rules we have in place for sexual misconduct are wildly different 
Man ain't that the truth. One party expells members for a distasteful pic and the other one elects serial sexual assualters President. They can even be recorded bragging about it. He might even call white nationalists chanting jews will not replace us as "fine people". That might be considered speech.  

But as far as speech goes people on the right say things that leave me astonished and appauled all the time and they really get rewarded for it not punished. 

Marjorie Taylor Green and Boebert and Gaetz just to name a few. And these are politicians who ought to be held to a higher standard.  

Steve King said racist stuff for like a decade with little blowback from his own party. Played footsie with the white nationalists. 

Gosar spoke at the America First Political ACtion conference hosted by open White Nationalist and Anti Semite Nick Fuentes. Posted the infamous anime video of him depicted kiling AOC. 

All these people kept their jobs. Steve King eventually got redistricted out of office. 

But man o man whoopi got a slap on the wrist lets head to the fainting couch. I thought conservatives were hard boiled. 

Man ain't that the truth. One party expells members for a distasteful pic and the other one elects serial sexual assualters President. They can even be recorded bragging about it. He might even call white nationalists chanting jews will not replace us as "fine people". That might be considered speech.  

But as far as speech goes people on the right say things that leave me astonished and appauled all the time and they really get rewarded for it not punished. 

Marjorie Taylor Green and Boebert and Gaetz just to name a few. And these are politicians who ought to be held to a higher standard.  

Steve King said racist stuff for like a decade with little blowback from his own party. Played footsie with the white nationalists. 

Gosar spoke at the America First Political ACtion conference hosted by open White Nationalist and Anti Semite Nick Fuentes. Posted the infamous anime video of him depicted kiling AOC. 

All these people kept their jobs. Steve King eventually got redistricted out of office. 

But man o man whoopi got a slap on the wrist lets head to the fainting couch. I thought conservatives were hard boiled. 

I think I speak for everyone when I say, WTF are you talking about?   I mean, did you even think before you knee-jerked?

Holy shnikes did you try to derail this thread something fierce.  :doh:

I think I speak for everyone when I say, WTF are you talking about?   I mean, did you even think before you knee-jerked?

Holy shnikes did you try to derail this thread something fierce.  :doh:
OK Ok. Libs bad amd get away with everything, conservatives TOTAL victims all the time. That the kind of thing we looking for? 

OK Ok. Libs bad amd get away with everything, conservatives TOTAL victims all the time. That the kind of thing we looking for? 
When people seem to only think in terms of R/D, this is how their posts come off.    Instead of thinking about and weighing the differences of what the two women said, I guess it's easier to blame it on one being D and one being R?   

Well, I don't support any of the people you named.  And I think nothing should have happened to Whoopi Goldberg.  

Otherwise, great points.  I stand owned, I guess.  Or something.

Last edited by a moderator:
IvanKaramazov said:
Why?  The is-ought distinction predated capitalism and is still with us.

For example, I can go to certain parts of Nevada and legally have sex with a prostitute.  There is absolutely no dispute whatsoever over whether I have the right to do that.  My wife has rather strong views about whether I ought to exercise that right, and I don't think I should try to explain to her that her views on the subject aren't relevant.
Your example is not on point and is an inflammatory red herring. An employee/employer relationship is nowhere in the same ballpark as a marital relationship - especially if the employer is a publicly traded company with a fiduciary duty to shareholders. 

John123 said:
Who is they?

I thought the The View was kinda known for talking about these sort of sensitive topics and that generally a lot of dumb #### is said.  Why care now.

if anyone is looking for a Jewish American Princess recipe, Whoopi's got you

"Send chauffeur to your favorite butcher shop for the chicken (save the brown paper bag). Have your cook 1) Melt equal parts oil and butter 3/4 deep in skillet over moderate heat. 

'2) Put flour, seasoned with remaining ingredients, into brown paper bag. 3) Rinse chicken parts and place in bag.  

'Then you tightly close top of bag (watch your nails) and shake 10 times. 

'Hand bag to Cook, go dress for dinner. While you dress, have Cook preheat oven to 350 degrees and brown chicken slowly in skillet. When evenly browned, have Cook place chicken in dish in oven. Have Cook prepare rest of meal while you touch up your makeup.

'In about half an hour, voila! Dinner is served! You must be exhausted."

dgreen said:
I didn't get that at all from what Whoopi said. But, I've also only seen clipped videos and may not know the full context.
As quoted above: 

Well, this is White people doing it to White people, so y'all gonna fight amongst yourselves," Goldberg said, referring to the Holocaust.

Curry is half white??
Huh, I always assumed his mom was white. She certainly looks it, but apparently she’s Black. Most likely, she’s the one who’s biracial. Which kind of proves my point, since she grew up in a Black family and has always considered herself Black. 

But hey, maybe I’m wrong and the only way to truly determine Blackness is to ask SC

Was she talking about the other hosts or WW2?  

I don’t have a horse in this race either.  I don’t like either one.  I like Barr less because of the national anthem spitting incident.  Classless.  
Roseanne was a good show back in the day mainly because of John Goodman.  

Whoopi was good in Ghost.  I never really thought she was funny though.  
The Holocaust. 

Your example is not on point and is an inflammatory red herring. An employee/employer relationship is nowhere in the same ballpark as a marital relationship - especially if the employer is a publicly traded company with a fiduciary duty to shareholders. 
This is a bizarre response.  I'm sitting here literally stunned that my self-deprecating joke about visiting a prostitute in Nevada (this is obviously a joke, and it was directed at me personally, not you) is written off as "inflammatory."  What in the actual ####, guy?

Do you acknowledge the existence of any action X, where is X is something that is both perfectly legal and also unethical*?

*Or immoral or unwarranted or whatever term you want to use that involves making a value judgement about right and wrong.

I thought the The View was kinda known for talking about these sort of sensitive topics and that generally a lot of dumb #### is said.  Why care now.

Have you ever tried to watch The View?

During lockdown I tried a couple of times but it unless you are a bitter older women I don`t see how you would enjoy that show. It is "Their View"

Behar and Goldberg take the same stance on everything, then they add one woman who disagrees.

The show should rotate different people in every week so you can actually hear views instead of an angry old Joy Behar.  I don`t know how she was a comedian as she is one of the angriest people I have ever seen on TV.

So Barack Obama, Kamala Harris, Steph Curry, Frederick Douglass, Booker T Washington, Drake, Dwayne Johnson and Keegan Michael Key, all not Black, huh?

Obama is as much white as black - Kamala is Indian/Jamaican, Curry I'm not sure, I think his mom is white? So like Obama, as much white as black .... Dwyane Johnson is Samoan/Canadian/African American/Irish .... you're looking at skin color only, not race

Obama is as much white as black - Kamala is Indian/Jamaican, Curry I'm not sure, I think his mom is white? So like Obama, as much white as black .... Dwyane Johnson is Samoan/Canadian/African American/Irish .... you're looking at skin color only, not race
Um, that’s very much NOT what I’m doing. The reason I say Obama, Jarrett et al are Black is because they identify as Black. What is your basis for stating categorically that Jarrett is not Black?

First of all, I don't think anyone should be cancelled for anything they say in this country.

Secondly, I don't believe it was ignorance on Whoopi's part as much as brazen tribalism/racism.  I mean she straight up used her own racism to describe the Holocaust!  It sounds extremely ignorant, but it's a bold statement from a completely lost leftist.

The fact that she gets a slap on the wrist, and it's downplayed, just shows the leftists cards even more.  If a conservative minded person would've said something to the equivalent to this, theyd be tarred, feathered, and run out of town.

Um, that’s very much NOT what I’m doing. The reason I say Obama, Jarrett et al are Black is because they identify as Black. What is your basis for stating categorically that Jarrett is not Black?

If Obama and Jarrett identified as white, would you say they are white?

My mother is Hispanic, my Dad is white.   What should I be called?

First of all, I don't think anyone should be cancelled for anything they say in this country.

Secondly, I don't believe it was ignorance on Whoopi's part as much as brazen tribalism/racism.  I mean she straight up used her own racism to describe the Holocaust!  It sounds extremely ignorant, but it's a bold statement from a completely lost leftist.

The fact that she gets a slap on the wrist, and it's downplayed, just shows the leftists cards even more.  If a conservative minded person would've said something to the equivalent to this, theyd be tarred, feathered, and run out of town.
I am also outraged about what you imagine would happen if this hypothetical thing you conjured up ever happened. 

If Obama and Jarrett identified as white, would you say they are white?

My mother is Hispanic, my Dad is white.   What should I be called?
You should be called whatever the hell you want (within reason — if you tried to pull a Rachel Dolezal and claim you were Black despite having zero African heritage I would call BS). 

Let me flip the question around to you: if Jarrett has Black ancestors and identifies as Black, on what basis are you, me, SC or anyone else going to tell her she’s not Black?

You should be called whatever the hell you want (within reason — if you tried to pull a Rachel Dolezal and claim you were Black despite having zero African heritage I would call BS). 

Let me flip the question around to you: if Jarrett has Black ancestors and identifies as Black, on what basis are you, me, SC or anyone else going to tell her she’s not Black?

And it she says she identifies as white same thing?

I am also outraged about what you imagine would happen if this hypothetical thing you conjured up ever happened. 
Its cool man, I'm not really trying to sway anyone's way of thinking on here.  Not gonna happen anyway.  I see things the way I see em.  I don't like the direction (left) of our country.  I'm not going to feel bad about it, and I'm gonna speak my mind.  I'd imagine it'll get me in trouble with leftist lynch mob at some point.......not too worried about it.

Yeah, I don't get that mindset either. I remember in the Colin Kaepernick thread, that SC and a few others were saying that Kaep was not qualified to speak out about racism against black people because he was half white.  :loco:

And it she says she identifies as white same thing?
I would have thought "whatever the hell you want" was a clear enough standard, but to remove any ambiguity, yes, if Valerie Jarrett said she identified as white, I would say she was white.

Now let me turn around and ask you for a similarly direct, yes-or-no answer: Do you agree with SC's statement that "Valerie Jarrett isn't black"?

I also have to point out that we would be remiss in having all this discussion about who "counts" as what race without mentioning the awful historical subtext of the concept with respect to the "one drop rule" and the like. In fact, that's the exact reason why I'm inclined to stay out of the classification business completely and allow people to determine for themselves how they want to identify.

Users who are viewing this thread