What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Trade Psychology 101 (Pole Included) (1 Viewer)

Which is more satisfactory?

• Total voters

cockroach

Footballguy
Just wondering how the results on this might end up with enough votes.

I know I enjoy having a trade I propose be accepted more than I enjoy accepting a trade proposed to me.... even if the value may be equal, or even MORE.

One of the weird things about receiving a insta-accept trade is the anxiety of...."hold on, what's going on here, what news blurb am I missing?"

When you send a trade, you know you already want it, so when that email comes in and you check the alert it's like, *Tiger Woods fist pump time*

I've found that this psychology is so prevalent in my own thinking that I've rejected trades only to propose them at a later date

... am I alone in this or can others relate?

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually I think I enjoy accepting the trade that's been offered to me. Typically when I make a trade offer I'm giving away something good and buying a player low. So it's nerve wracking. Cobb for Lamar Miller earlier this year was like that. I was RB2 hungry and I was sure I was selling Cobb low, way low, and supposedly his schedule would see an uptick. That worked out but there was some anxiety waiting for that to happen. Receiving a trade typically people feel like they're stealing from me whereas I feel the other way around, like I'm selling high, though I will say when this happens I typically counter involving the player asked for and I feel like a good arrangement has been arrived at. The other trade I enjoy is garbage for garbage. Why people don't do this more and take chances on other people's busts while dealing their own, I don't know. I enjoy rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic when it comes to that. People are so invested in their picks.

depends. the most satisfying deals are the ones I've had to work on for a little while. Usually we negotiate enough that it doesn't really matter who made the final offer.

I feel better when Im accepting vs proposing. Less doubt that Im getting max value. Im always wondering if I could have gotten more.

Actually I think I enjoy accepting the trade that's been offered to me. Typically when I make a trade offer I'm giving away something good and buying a player low. So it's nerve wracking. Cobb for Lamar Miller earlier this year was like that. I was RB2 hungry and I was sure I was selling Cobb low, way low, and supposedly his schedule would see an uptick. That worked out but there was some anxiety waiting for that to happen. Receiving a trade typically people feel like they're stealing from me whereas I feel the other way around, like I'm selling high, though I will say when this happens I typically counter involving the player asked for and I feel like a good arrangement has been arrived at. The other trade I enjoy is garbage for garbage. Why people don't do this more and take chances on other people's busts while dealing their own, I don't know. I enjoy rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic when it comes to that. People are so invested in their picks.
Hmmmm... I find that I tend to be a bit of the exploitative trader. Where I will offer trades that are pretty much objectively in my favor... but subjectively best for the other owner to accept.... If you know what I mean.

I get a lot of the trades accepted where other owners complain but the person making the trade defends it. *cough* low ball *ahem*

No, it was fair, he took it.

I feel better when Im accepting vs proposing. Less doubt that Im getting max value. Im always wondering if I could have gotten more.
I think that happens no matter what side of the trade you were on. More so on the OFFER though IMO. I may be cheap and get some controversial trades through... but I'm always willing to give enough to make it "click worthy"... this means giving an extra 2nd or 3rd to make it instantly logical for the other side.

... maybe didn't need to.

I love receiving fair trades since I seldom do, but offering a fair deals means more to me.

very rarely get a trade worth my time.

tho this past season I received 2 that I insta-accepted... But 9 times out fo 10, the offer stinks, and countering is of no use.

I rarely receive decent offers, and usually have to do a lot of leg work to make a trade happen. Once the email chain ends in agreement, I don't out much stock in which of us signs in and submits the trade on a website first. I look at who initiated the dialogue regarding the traded players and who pitched the first offer.

That's generally me, so I voted based on that. I also think the psychological element is in my getting a player I wanted enough to work for, vs. my stumbling into a player that someone wants to trade, though.

2:1 in the early going towards how I feel.

Based on most of the offers I get, I think that trend will continue as it seems most people offer garbage hoping it gets accepted so OF COURSE they'll be happier if their trade gets accepted opposed to the offers they may receive.

That's generally me, so I voted based on that. I also think the psychological element is in my getting a player I wanted enough to work for, vs. my stumbling into a player that someone wants to trade, though.
Very very, VERY good point that can't be overlooked .

That definitely plays a HUGE role in making a trade get accepted so gratifying.

The ones you accept often weren't your original vision which plays a part in it being less hell-yea-ism.

Generally speaking, if I offer, any counter offer is less attractive. They're not coming back with "You're not getting enough, let me sweeten that a bit." Conversely, if I receive an offer, further negotiations will favor me.

To the OP's Q, if I receive an offer I then accept, it's settled in my mind it was fair value. I would not have accepted otherwise. If I send an offer that is accepted (presuming no counteroffer in either case), I might wonder if I could have gotten more.

In business negotiations I am never the first one to specify what number I'm looking for. If they come in higher I can accept (if I'm selling) or I can counter (if I'm buying.) I give up that ability to control the deal if I make the first offer.

For me it isn't either or it just depends on the offer. I tend to agree with FUBAR that some of the better deals have been ones that myself and the other owner have talked about for awhile presenting different packages back and forth until we both arrive at a deal that is suitable to both parties.

If someone offers me a deal that I like enough to accept right away or the other way around takes less effort which makes it less memorable.

I have been offered trades that were actually good value in my opinion but I still do not do the deal because it doesn't help my team.

Other times I may be willing to make lateral moves because I think it improves my depth or trade value.

Each trade is unique because of all of the other surrounding pieces of how my competitors team will look after the deal as well as my own.

A lot of people like the idea of negotiating too. The same trade they might reject if offered cold they might accept if they felt they negotiated for it.

I like recEIving trades and accEPTing them

Now how do I get my pole? The title said a pole was included
You spelled recieving incorrectly. Remember e before I except after c. Pole is correct though. I feel great about our educational system.

Users who are viewing this thread