What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Fantasy Football addiction (1 Viewer)

'Dizzy said:
'Lavachebeadsman said:
'Dizzy said:
The kid who wrote the article is like that guy you know who parties way too hard, all the time, completely out of control, then once he has no choice but to shut it down for good because his life is falling apart, he lectures you about the dangers of partying. This has nothing to do with fantasy football and everything to do with the SpazNerdio the article writer who can't do anything unless he goes balls out/1000 miles per hour. Screw that guy. He was probably foaming at the mouth as he typed that article. Can't wait until his next blog post when he tells everyone they should cool it with the Angry Birds or else.
Post of the season! :thumbup: I couldn't agree more.
That's actually absolute ####. I follow the guy on twitter and have interacted with him a ton. Pretty normal guy. Sure, fantasy football isn't a very harmful addiction, but it still is one. We are all dedicating times out of our day to manage imaginary rosters and gamble on very unpredictable performance. If we really wanted to make money or do profitable gambling, playing poker is an area where over a large sample, variance goes down. That, or we'd play fantasy baseball, with much more reliable statistics and a much more skilled game. The article makes a valid point: we know its stupid, but it consumes us anyway. I didn't find the article preachy at all, I found it reasonable. I've owned Hakeem Nicks before and had to cheer against the Dallas Cowboys and felt happy when they got scored on. That's clearly not the correct spirit to approach football with, but that is where we are at. I don't really know how you can argue against that claim at all.
Dude, read his first paragraph... at 22-yrs old he had been watching football for TWELVE HOURS EVERY SUNDAY SINCE AGE 10?!?!?!Yeah, I'm sorry... he may have a "problem"... but he's had it his whole life. Don't blame a silly hobby for your (his) crap pile of a life when he's been "addicted" to watching every minute of football coverage since 5th grade. Maybe he should have gotten out of the house a few times 20 years ago.
He isn't arguing Sunday's are the problem. He's arguing that the reaction to wins and loss's, time spent dreaming up trades and waiver scenarios, ect, are the problem. Did you read the whole thing?

'Dizzy said:
Dude, read his first paragraph... at 22-yrs old he had been watching football for TWELVE HOURS EVERY SUNDAY SINCE AGE 10?!?!?!Yeah, I'm sorry... he may have a "problem"... but he's had it his whole life. Don't blame a silly hobby for your (his) crap pile of a life when he's been "addicted" to watching every minute of football coverage since 5th grade. Maybe he should have gotten out of the house a few times 20 years ago.
He isn't arguing Sunday's are the problem. He's arguing that the reaction to wins and loss's, time spent dreaming up trades and waiver scenarios, ect, are the problem. Did you read the whole thing?
Yeah I read it. If HE is really losing sleep because of waiver wire picks... the YES, he has a problem. Probably has similar problems with every other aspect of his life too. Not everyone belongs to the "doesn't know when to say WHEN" crowd. Some of us can actually separate fantasy from reality.

"Mostly my thoughts are this: I’m tired and I would like to go to bed"

I agree with this quote entirely.

I also occasionally feel the same way Spin does about players (hoping my WR2 goes for 6/100/1 but the Jets win).

I will NEVER apologize for RedZone though, fantasy/Jets/football in general aside, it is the best thing ever.

'Dizzy said:
Yeah I read it. If HE is really losing sleep because of waiver wire picks... the YES, he has a problem. Probably has similar problems with every other aspect of his life too. Not everyone belongs to the "doesn't know when to say WHEN" crowd. Some of us can actually separate fantasy from reality.
Carter isn't saying everyone is addicted. His argument is that fantasy football addiction is real.

The only difference between being a professional and being an addict is skill and national perception.

Everyone that reaches the peak of their profession is addicted to whatever they are doing, it's accepted by our culture as a passion.

When things don't go well for a person or they do not reach the peak of something they care so much about, they are considered an addict.

Obviously this doesn't pertain to drugs, but you get my drift.

playeing since 94, i burned out about 5 years ago.i still keep on top of ff though i just dont play.
wow, i cant imagine this thread will yield anything more tragic than this
Here's one for ya. I don't even watch football anymore. Can't take the anxiety of it. Just can't enjoy the games like I used to. Just watch highlights and play in a few leagues. I am embarrassed to say this.

The kid who wrote the article is like that guy you know who parties way too hard, all the time, completely out of control, then once he has no choice but to shut it down for good because his life is falling apart, he lectures you about the dangers of partying. This has nothing to do with fantasy football and everything to do with the SpazNerdio the article writer who can't do anything unless he goes balls out/1000 miles per hour. Screw that guy. He was probably foaming at the mouth as he typed that article. Can't wait until his next blog post when he tells everyone they should cool it with the Angry Birds or else.
Says the guy with 27,000 posts in a FF forum!The point has been missed by you, tough guy. This has everything to do with fantasy football/fantasy sports. Some people can have one cigarette, one beer, one game of black jack. Then others, as clearly stated and researched within this article, and also admitted by many on this site, fantasy sports can be very addictive. And with any addiction, there are multiple consequences.

Your over the top "SpazNerdio" assaults on the author (along with your 27k posts) only begs the question: Do you need help?
The difference between me and that guy is I'm not posting a blog crying out about the addictive qualities of this forum. And in my defense 90% of my posts are in Yahtzee related threads.That kid who wrote the article is the guy who splooges in his pants as he walks into the strip club. He's the guy who Clark Griswold's it up while on vacation, planning an itinerary from 6AM to midnight full of ziplining and museums. He was probably wearing his WORK HARD/PLAY HARD t-shirt as he was writing the article. He's his own worst enemy, not fantasy football. Guaranteed that once he quits fantasy football he'll replace it with another soft addiction. That's what happens. This guy should not be doling out any warped nuggets of "wisdom" for public consumption. He's in denial and has no idea what the hell he's talking about.

I cut back to $2,300 wagered last week on daily fantasy games (from $2,500 the week before). It's called moderation.

Says the guy with 27,000 posts in a FF forum!The point has been missed by you, tough guy. This has everything to do with fantasy football/fantasy sports. Some people can have one cigarette, one beer, one game of black jack. Then others, as clearly stated and researched within this article, and also admitted by many on this site, fantasy sports can be very addictive. And with any addiction, there are multiple consequences.

Your over the top "SpazNerdio" assaults on the author (along with your 27k posts) only begs the question: Do you need help?
The difference between me and that guy is I'm not posting a blog crying out about the addictive qualities of this forum. And in my defense 90% of my posts are in Yahtzee related threads.That kid who wrote the article is the guy who splooges in his pants as he walks into the strip club. He's the guy who Clark Griswold's it up while on vacation, planning an itinerary from 6AM to midnight full of ziplining and museums. He was probably wearing his WORK HARD/PLAY HARD t-shirt as he was writing the article. He's his own worst enemy, not fantasy football. Guaranteed that once he quits fantasy football he'll replace it with another soft addiction. That's what happens. This guy should not be doling out any warped nuggets of "wisdom" for public consumption. He's in denial and has no idea what the hell he's talking about.
Crying? I didn't hear crying (or lecturing as you'd previously claimed). Are you some sort of profiler? You somehow know what king of dude the author is by the words within this article? The article contains accounts of other's addiction to the game, a psychotherapists analysis of what internet addictions can do to the brain, and there is plenty of other evidence that shows FF can become an addiction. That might seem comical or sound unfathomable to you, but why don't you consider it, rather than disregard or try and be cute with the strip club and Griswold's references. And what makes you so righteous, able to decipher others and/or able to 'guarantee' anything about someone you know very little about? Your opinion on the article is valid, your judgement on what kind of guy the author might be is simply child's play.

I play in 5 football leagues and baseball leagues each.Here are some guidelines that' I employ that limit getting too obsessed and taking away from enoting the games#1. Even though I consider myself a good FF player, I fully accept that luck plays a huge role in FF outcomes. I fully accept that there is much that I can't control or influence. Hence FF is akin to having several casual wagers on the game. Luck is even a bigger factor than ever as everyone gets roughly the same "hot info" whether they spend 5 minutes or 5 hours a day looking for it.#2. Don't play in FCFS waiver leagues. Hence, no penalty to getting your info in reasonable dosages during the day as opposed to living on-line.#3. Perhaps I'm delusional but I believe that 99% of all "experts". Don't know anymore than I do. Thus there is no return on investment in spending a lot of time reading all sorts of opinions.#4. Unless it is a late round playoff FF game, I never pay attention to what players are on my opponents rosters until very late in the day on Sunday. That way I don't waste negative energy getting mad when certainNFL players do well. I don't check live scoring updates until lateSunday as well. I know if my guys are doing well or not but prefer not to get preoccupied with the scoreboard as it detracts from my "real" football watching#5. While not an option for everyone, I am a season ticket holder and actually go to 6 to 8 games a year. This keeps me well grounded with the real ups and downs of being a fan.#6. I play in a couple of survivor pools. Hence rooting for real wins and losses is still part of my DNA#7. Limit watching of Red Zone to the extent Jets are playing or any other "interesting" NFL game is on.#8. Do some useful stuff on Sunday's beyond Football. With older kids now, I play in a Sunday morning disc golf league that usually lasts from 10-1. Very healthy outlet and eliminates "wasting" lots of pregametime on FF. I also take my Lab for a 45 minute walk at some point on Sunday afternoon.Anyway,for me these types of habits keep me with the right "balance"
#4 is the way I go. I do everything I can to put my best lineup in and honestly don't even know who I'm playing against most times. I have no control over how my players do or the ones I'm going against so me staring at live scoring is pointless. What's going to happen is going to happen regardless. I do enjoy watching the red zone but more because I like watching it than for fantasy reasons.

I play in 5 football leagues and baseball leagues each.Here are some guidelines that' I employ that limit getting too obsessed and taking away from enoting the games#1. Even though I consider myself a good FF player, I fully accept that luck plays a huge role in FF outcomes. I fully accept that there is much that I can't control or influence. Hence FF is akin to having several casual wagers on the game. Luck is even a bigger factor than ever as everyone gets roughly the same "hot info" whether they spend 5 minutes or 5 hours a day looking for it.#2. Don't play in FCFS waiver leagues. Hence, no penalty to getting your info in reasonable dosages during the day as opposed to living on-line.#3. Perhaps I'm delusional but I believe that 99% of all "experts". Don't know anymore than I do. Thus there is no return on investment in spending a lot of time reading all sorts of opinions.#4. Unless it is a late round playoff FF game, I never pay attention to what players are on my opponents rosters until very late in the day on Sunday. That way I don't waste negative energy getting mad when certainNFL players do well. I don't check live scoring updates until lateSunday as well. I know if my guys are doing well or not but prefer not to get preoccupied with the scoreboard as it detracts from my "real" football watching#5. While not an option for everyone, I am a season ticket holder and actually go to 6 to 8 games a year. This keeps me well grounded with the real ups and downs of being a fan.#6. I play in a couple of survivor pools. Hence rooting for real wins and losses is still part of my DNA#7. Limit watching of Red Zone to the extent Jets are playing or any other "interesting" NFL game is on.#8. Do some useful stuff on Sunday's beyond Football. With older kids now, I play in a Sunday morning disc golf league that usually lasts from 10-1. Very healthy outlet and eliminates "wasting" lots of pregametime on FF. I also take my Lab for a 45 minute walk at some point on Sunday afternoon.Anyway,for me these types of habits keep me with the right "balance"
#4 is the way I go. I do everything I can to put my best lineup in and honestly don't even know who I'm playing against most times. I have no control over how my players do or the ones I'm going against so me staring at live scoring is pointless. What's going to happen is going to happen regardless. I do enjoy watching the red zone but more because I like watching it than for fantasy reasons.
I read this and thought of Yahoo's new "Recap" feature. In it they chart the "game flow", which foolishly tries to overlay a timeline on a fantasy match-up. As if it matters whether I am leading or behind on Thursday night or Monday morning. What matters is Tuesday morning and nothing in between.

I don't think I've ever seen Nipsey this spirited in a shark pool thread.

I do think there's some truth to the article.

Football has been a fun hobby since I was 10 years old.

Fantasy football is now one more way to enjoy my hobby.

Never lost sleep over it or had anxiety attacks from it.

Never felt like a slave to it.

Never considered shutting other people out of my life for it.

I guess if a person gets to that point they do have a problem and should stop.

Is it possible that the people who are overly critical of the article see too much of themselves in it?
Yeah, seeing two extremes here: those who read this and said Damned Straight! and those trying to dismiss it all together and blame the author as if this is his own self-contained issue. Usually when that happens, it means something has hit a little close to home. I think they call it deflection in psychosocial circles.I see a lot of people saying "I'm addicted but at least its JUST FF" or that being addicted to FF is not as bad as other things. There is a degree of truth in that but an addiciton to anything can be detrimental. Even if its an addiction to collecting milk bottle caps, too much is damaging.Over the years I've seen every single thing listed in this thread happen: the guys that run around looking for a bar of service, the guys that sits at the thanksgiving table and looks miserable and scarfs his food down because he needs to get abck to watching the gametracker instead of having a meal with his family, the guy that gets in trouble at work because he's surfing injuries and reports instead of...working. These things are real and add up and if you stop and are reasonable about it for a minute, it would be clear.If you visit your parents or sister every week and every single week they want to talk about flea markets and every single week, you have to plan a part of your visit around the time they go to a flea market (we can't meet for breakfast..have to wait until noon because Jill goes to the flea market on saturday mornings), or you're sitting in the living room having a conversation and they suddenly tune you out completely because the Road Show comes on, you'd think "those people need to get a life..this is crazy." But yet a lot of you (us) don't seem to even realize exactly how much we disengage from our surroundings when it comes to football? To each their own, certainly, but I DO see a problem with FF addiction. I have seen it in myself so I'm not preaching and I'm not saying I do anything about it that I really wish I would (not sure if that is hypocrytical, a plea for help, or just a refreshing awareness that needs a next step). I'm just saying I think that a lot of the people that are dismissing it are probably the very ones that should take notice of it.

playeing since 94, i burned out about 5 years ago.i still keep on top of ff though i just dont play.
wow, i cant imagine this thread will yield anything more tragic than this
Here's one for ya. I don't even watch football anymore. Can't take the anxiety of it. Just can't enjoy the games like I used to. Just watch highlights and play in a few leagues. I am embarrassed to say this.
im the same way. i used to get so mad. now i just do other stuff on sunday. yardwork, bike ride, hookers. very relaxing and feels like i accomplished something. still play ff tho. im not nearly as mad when i check my scores and see that i won or lost. its like whatever at that point.i cant imagine someone actually paying attention to ff, but not playing.

The closest I can say I'd come to addiction with fantasy football is that my viewing habits on Sunday are different than what they used to be.

Sometimes I can be watching games and not even be on top of what the score is because I'm distracted by the stats on the bottom of the screen...or on the internet watching the stats change and on this board with the football sometimes being secondary.

But that's also coincided with my home team sucking the last couple of years....and it's not all the time...and I still enjoy paying attention to and watching big games....and the playoffs.

Last edited by a moderator:
'CrazyFox said:
The closest I can say I'd come to addiction with fantasy football is that my viewing habits on Sunday are different than what they used to be. Sometimes I can be watching games and not even be on top of what the score is because I'm distracted by the stats on the bottom of the screen...or on the internet watching the stats change and on this board with the football sometimes being secondary. But that's also coincided with my home team sucking the last couple of years....and it's not all the time...and I still enjoy paying attention to and watching big games....and the playoffs..
This is something I've never understood. Why does football HAVE to be more important than fantasy football? I legitimately enjoy the hobby of fantasy football more than the hobby of watching football more often than not it would seem (as long as the Jets aren't on)

'CrazyFox said:
The closest I can say I'd come to addiction with fantasy football is that my viewing habits on Sunday are different than what they used to be. Sometimes I can be watching games and not even be on top of what the score is because I'm distracted by the stats on the bottom of the screen...or on the internet watching the stats change and on this board with the football sometimes being secondary. But that's also coincided with my home team sucking the last couple of years....and it's not all the time...and I still enjoy paying attention to and watching big games....and the playoffs..
This is something I've never understood. Why does football HAVE to be more important than fantasy football? I legitimately enjoy the hobby of fantasy football more than the hobby of watching football more often than not it would seem (as long as the Jets aren't on)
It doesn't have to be. I agree. You should do what's most fun or enjoyable for you. I know some people don't care about the game at all and only on the numbers in their fantasy games. That's cool too if that's what they are into. Just saying that I've only been playing fantasy football for about 5 years, but have been watching for over 20, so I've always enjoyed the game of football itself before ever getting into fantasy. But I have realized that the past couple of years my habits with it have changed. Just saying that sometimes I find myself checking the stats so often to the point where it is pointless and I'm missing good stuff in the game that might be more enjoyable than watching the stats every minute..

Last edited by a moderator:
I am ridiculously addicted and can admit it.

Does my wife accept me for my addiction? yes

Am I hurting anyone by my addiction? no

If I was hurting anyone would I quit? maybe

How do I control my addiction? I only play in 3 leagues.

I enjoy the NFL so much more due to fantasy football. I have an extremely addictive personality, but know for a fact it would never become a financial burden. I love poker and blackjack but barely play because quite frankly I am too cheap. Therefore my fix is fantasy football and I love it.

All I can say is that if you genuinely feel a sense of dread/anxiousness/etc. on Sunday and have honestly said to yourself "I should quit" or "I'm this close to quitting"....you should give it a try. I enjoy the NFL so much more now that I've quit FF. Many people are the opposite, and that's cool - whatever you enjoy.

For years I felt obligated to keep playing FF even though I had mentally checked out probably around the 2007 season. I was in one local league with a bunch of old friends who had moved across the country; I was in a separate dynasty league where my team was in full-on rebuild mode. Over the years I had been in a bunch of other leagues, up to 7 at once, but had whittled it down to those two. I didn't want to quit because I didn't want to stop interacting with my friends and I didn't want to stick some guy with a crap dynasty team. I quit the local league after the 2009 season (it no longer exists) and the dynasty league after the 2010 season. And you know what? I still keep up with my friends from the local league and some of the guys from the dynasty league as well.

More power to you if you really love FF and love being engrossed in it - I used to be that way, too. But if you're honestly saying to yourself "I really want to quit, but I just can't"....just do it. I can't stress enough how good it has been for me and my love of football.

I am pretty addicted as well. But it's because I love it and love the challenge of winning leagues. Playing fantasy football has given me reasons to talk to certain people at work that I may not cross paths on a regular basis, and keeps me in touch with a great group of guys (my league that I have been in for 13 years). But I have one rule for myself. I NEVER, EVER, play a playoff fantasy football league or I don't do the playoff contest at FBG. The playoffs is sacred ground for me where I just watch the games for what they are....to see which team wins and not look for how many TD passes Tom Brady throws or get mad because Matt Schaub threw a 1 yard TD pass to Daniels....when I have Foster.

I'm still a huge Bills fan and maybe its because I have season tickets but if any of my players play the Bills I want them to do nothing as long as the Bills win. (A rarity)

I don't think I've ever seen Nipsey this spirited in a shark pool thread.I do think there's some truth to the article.
The New York Times(!) gave THIS guy column space to say there are addictive qualities to fantasy football. There are addictive qualities to buying caps on Lids.com. This guy is THAT guy. #### THAT guy. His issues have nothing to do with fantasy football. He's 29, what the #### does THAT guy know about anything?

Thought I'd bump this today since we are that point in the season where you typically have some people start feeling the grind of the season or starting to realize their uncountable hours are fruitless.

Let's hear from the addicts today; from the proud addicts and the guys ready to quit.

Thought I'd bump this today since we are that point in the season where you typically have some people start feeling the grind of the season or starting to realize their uncountable hours are fruitless.

Let's hear from the addicts today; from the proud addicts and the guys ready to quit.
I might give it up only because it may not be worth the trouble. My one and only team is good (not great) and likely will make the playoffs but it is dealing with the other owners that sucks. This guy doesn't take a joke, that guy is a hothead, etc.

LMAO do fantasy sports really have a "grind of the season"? Is that like fighting through a headache to enter my lineup?

Shutout said:

I gave up fantasy completely this year, closed my gambling account and even dropped out of the several pick 'em groups I traditionally join. I called it my "football purity project", thinking that I would get back to just being a pure fan of the game, seeing the game for what it is, etc. etc. I'm very happy with my decision, but not for the reasons I expected. Instead, I've found that I have very little interest in football anymore. With so much great soccer now available on television, football strikes me as a fundamentally boring and slow game, with very little bursts intensity or action interrupted by long delays, standing around and commercials. I watch Packer games (although have even missed a couple, previously unheard of for me), will go to Lambeau a couple times this season, but have not watched more than a few minutes of any non-Packer game.

Still an enjoyable hobby for me today... win or lose. Not looking to quit anytime soon. I think being a commissioner helps to keep you invested during the bad seasons.

No edits to my previous comments, and I do see myself in some of that article - especially where player loyalty eventually replaces team loyalty. You do watch games from a different perspective, you have too. But on the other hand, it makes bad teams watchable, and even blowouts can produce low-hanging fantasy fruit during garbage time.

Shutout said:

I gave up fantasy completely this year, closed my gambling account and even dropped out of the several pick 'em groups I traditionally join. I called it my "football purity project", thinking that I would get back to just being a pure fan of the game, seeing the game for what it is, etc. etc. I'm very happy with my decision, but not for the reasons I expected. Instead, I've found that I have very little interest in football anymore. With so much great soccer now available on television, football strikes me as a fundamentally boring and slow game, with very little bursts intensity or action interrupted by long delays, standing around and commercials. I watch Packer games (although have even missed a couple, previously unheard of for me), will go to Lambeau a couple times this season, but have not watched more than a few minutes of any non-Packer game.
Definitely, because when I thin of an exciting game, bursting with intensity, I think of soccer.

Shutout said:

To me, this is just scary. WHY ON EARTH would you be wading in the Shark Pool with no interest in football (particularly fantasy football). :o

Shutout said:

Definitely, because when I thin of an exciting game, bursting with intensity, I think of soccer.
Watching guys run back and forth, not scoring goals, and faking injuries really gets my blood pumping.

Still an enjoyable hobby for me today... win or lose. Not looking to quit anytime soon. I think being a commissioner helps to keep you invested during the bad seasons.

No edits to my previous comments, and I do see myself in some of that article - especially where player loyalty eventually replaces team loyalty. You do watch games from a different perspective, you have too. But on the other hand, it makes bad teams watchable, and even blowouts can produce low-hanging fantasy fruit during garbage time.
Yeah, player loyalty really trumps out. Hatred for garbage time points (unless they are YOUR garbage points), and all that.

I reread that article before posting and I find the part that hits home more now than it did is just how clearly it illustrates how silly the notion of control is. It is such a random outcome type of hobby, yet we pour SO MUCH time into trying to get an analysis on all the stats, trends, etc. I've been watching football most of my life and on some level I KNOW that a Jimmy Stewart 5 td game can just happen on any given week, but somehow I'm still drilling down through all the info trying to find that right lineup, etc.

Shutout said:

I'm one of the addicts who was cutting back, had it under control and then got back in too heavy. Added a few leagues this off season and realized too late that it's too much. I'll cut my leagues in half again this off season and keep 3 total. It's still fun, but I've found it's no longer fun when you have too many to keep up with and confuse the rules between leagues.

Shutout said:

I'm one of the addicts who was cutting back, had it under control and then got back in too heavy. Added a few leagues this off season and realized too late that it's too much. I'll cut my leagues in half again this off season and keep 3 total. It's still fun, but I've found it's no longer fun when you have too many to keep up with and confuse the rules between leagues.
I guess that is the classic scenario where you feel like you are playing against every player in the league in some form or another.

Yep. I'm a fan of two teams (lions and Titans) and my favorite player is JJ Watt. :confused:

Shutout said:

I guess that is the classic scenario where you feel like you are playing against every player in the league in some form or another.
There is that, but I don't mind best ball, draft and forget types. I'll keep the mock draft forum leagues but don't count those.

I think it is getting worse. In 7 leagues, I have waivers that start at 10EST on Tuesday and go thru Thursday morning. Then we have the Thur - Sun - MNF games. To be competitive, I need to check out news multiple times per week. My ROI is decreasing and I may cut back next season.
Update?

Yep it's an addiction. I'm in 5 dynasties, trying to keep up with all the happenings is too difficult with that many teams and players. I told myself I'm going to play in only 2 leagues next year. Picking the best 2 leagues that have the right mix of leagues members and rules and playing in those 2 only.
Update?

I started coming to this same realization 2 or 3 years ago, and started to consider quitting. But I justified my continued participation by thinking my 14-year strong work/friends league was the best way to keep in touch with those guys. Well, this year I finally came to the realization that I spend probably 20 hours researching minutiae for every 1 hour I spend "keeping in touch with those guys". This is my last year. I'm going to use some of my saved hours next year to actually hang out in person with people I want to stay in touch with.
Update?

Been playing for over 12 years. Used to do 5+ leagues but I widdled it down to 2 main leagues. I'm definitely addicted and it gets in the way of work, family, friends, sleep, health. I have been contemplating quitting this Gd foresaken hobby since last year. This year I more serious about leavin it than ever. Problem is I'm in a dynasty league with many of my childhood friends and it serves to keep us all in close touch with each other. If it wasn't for that league I'd have quit already. I have decisions to make after this year. Im really starting to see the merit in quitting and I am thankful to the op for posting this article. I've been thinking for a few years now that my ff addiction is an unhealthy and counterproductive part of my life.
Update?

Been playing for over 12 years. Used to do 5+ leagues but I widdled it down to 2 main leagues. I'm definitely addicted and it gets in the way of work, family, friends, sleep, health. I have been contemplating quitting this Gd foresaken hobby since last year. This year I more serious about leavin it than ever. Problem is I'm in a dynasty league with many of my childhood friends and it serves to keep us all in close touch with each other. If it wasn't for that league I'd have quit already. I have decisions to make after this year. Im really starting to see the merit in quitting and I am thankful to the op for posting this article. I've been thinking for a few years now that my ff addiction is an unhealthy and counterproductive part of my life.
Update?
THanks for all the update requests. Will be really interesting to see what they are (but I'm guessing if they did quit, they aren't around here anymore).

I can admit that I am addicted. It's the lure of that "perfect season" when you absolutely obilterate your competition that year and take the title. And my problem is....I have experienced that "perfect" season. 3 times. And sometimes I get into the trap of expecting it, when in reality, FF is so luck based. Now currently I am having the "worst" season ever in one league. One where every pick I made has gone wrong, starting with Peterson. I am coming around to the fact that all I can do is try my best and see what happens. I have enough FF skill in that, I should be in the mix more times than not. The addiction comes from thinking that you can control the "edge" on your opponent, and FF rarely allows you to do that....there's just too much luck involved. I also think a lot of us here take losing personally, in that if you have a losing season, it's a knock on your football knowledge.

I play in 3 leagues, and that's it. Two of them are at work and one is with a group of guys and we've played for over 15 years. I never want to quit that league, because I probably would lose touch with most of those guys if I do.

To keep me from going insane, I NEVER play any playoff FF pool. Not even the Subscriber one on FBG. Playoff NFL football is sacred for me. That's when I watch the games for the games itself.

All I can say is that if you genuinely feel a sense of dread/anxiousness/etc. on Sunday and have honestly said to yourself "I should quit" or "I'm this close to quitting"....you should give it a try. I enjoy the NFL so much more now that I've quit FF. Many people are the opposite, and that's cool - whatever you enjoy. For years I felt obligated to keep playing FF even though I had mentally checked out probably around the 2007 season. I was in one local league with a bunch of old friends who had moved across the country; I was in a separate dynasty league where my team was in full-on rebuild mode. Over the years I had been in a bunch of other leagues, up to 7 at once, but had whittled it down to those two. I didn't want to quit because I didn't want to stop interacting with my friends and I didn't want to stick some guy with a crap dynasty team. I quit the local league after the 2009 season (it no longer exists) and the dynasty league after the 2010 season. And you know what? I still keep up with my friends from the local league and some of the guys from the dynasty league as well. More power to you if you really love FF and love being engrossed in it - I used to be that way, too. But if you're honestly saying to yourself "I really want to quit, but I just can't"....just do it. I can't stress enough how good it has been for me and my love of football.
I still haven't looked back, and it's great. Been FF free for 4 years now, and the desire to join a new league is less every year. This year was the first year where I truly didn't have the "maybe just one league" preseason inkling.

I don't really see myself getting back into FF ever, and I was one of the addicted types that the article in the OP references.

Fantasy football changed and warped the way I watched football. And as a diehard football fan first and foremost, it ruined my love of the game for a few years. I absolutely love being able to shut off from the non-stop news cycle of fantasy sleepers and dynasty projections and injury news, and just watch the games.

Shutout said:

To me, this is just scary. WHY ON EARTH would you be wading in the Shark Pool with no interest in football (particularly fantasy football). :o
Cletius, fantasy football players aren't the sharpest guys around but he's got sort of a point.

(You know I'm with you, though, right?)

Football has become an awful sport and if it weren't for the red zone channel it would be absolutely impossible to watch. Without fantasy I wouldn't even pay the remotest attention to it but I love the fantasy aspect so yeah..I'm an addict.

That's how I feel. I have a knack for being the one among my friends to be the "organizer" on things, and that's how I am with our local league. I'm incredibly invested because I organize it, because it involves my in-person friends and because it supersedes just my team. That is a fun hobby and an excuse to get together on football Sundays, so I doubt I'd ever give that one up. However, another poster just wrote that he won't do any FF pools, and that's true for me as well. I'd never want to put up a lot of money for this, because then I fear it would cease to be enjoyable, and instead, be a contributor to stress and start taking up too much of my time and be prohibitive to my health.

Shutout said:

That's another reason why I've always been nervous about joining more than two leagues at a time - the rules. My memory isn't so good that I can remember more than one or two leagues' rules.

Shutout said:

Cletius, fantasy football players aren't the sharpest guys around but he's got sort of a point.

(You know I'm with you, though, right?)
I shouldn't say I have "no interest in football" - just noting my experience that the main effect of quitting fantasy and gambling has been that I just watch much less football and am less interested, which was not what I expected. I was at the game in Green Bay last night and came in here today to gloat a bit, stumbled on this thread and added my experience with giving up fantasy sports. Strangely, after attending at least 20 or more Packer - Bear games over the years, normally the height of the season for me, I really have no interest in gloating or wallowing in victory today.

Users who are viewing this thread