What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Tony Romo Going Forward (1 Viewer)

tigerz

Footballguy
This is my first post in the Sharks Pool and I tried searching for a previous thread but couldn't find anything recent so I hope it's ok to start a new one.

Barring the game against TB, Romo looked like a player to sell as soon as he had a good game. After the game against the Chiefs, a lot of people looked at the schedule and said sell now while his value is high because his schedule is terrible. The same was said after the game against Atlanta. Though he was on a streak, there was reason to be skeptical about how long he could sustain it. He is Tony Romo and he has had a lot of question marks going into last night's game but I think for the most part he answered them well.

1. Romo can't play well under the spotlight and will choke under pressure

Sunday night game, all eyes on him for a tough division matchup in a hostile environment and Romo didn't look like the same guy who was on national TV twice this year. He didn't seem to have that urgent, must make a play mentality that got him in trouble in the past. He didn't force it into the red zone, had only one turnover, and managed to win the game.

2. Take away Romo's top targets (Witten and Miles) and you will win the game

Despite witten being a no show once again and Austin only receiving one catch; Romo was able to make due to with Crayton, hitting him for a 64 yarder, and Williams who despite complaining about Romo the past week, was targeted 8 times, caught 5 balls, and managed a decent 75 yards.

3. Bring Romo pressure and he will turn the ball over

Romo was under pressure all night but rather throw the ball and risk an interception or try to scramble (he still tried to extend a lot though) and risk a fumble, he stood his ground, protected the ball, and took four sacks. He did throw one interception but it didn't look like the kind of game where he made a lot of poor decisions and the defense just didn't capitalize.

As far as his schedule is concerned, I don't think it is as bad as first thought.

week 10 @ Green Bay

Green Bay has been exposed these past two weeks with Favre tearing them up at home a week ago and TB's rookie QB and suspect WR creating a huge upset yesterday.

week 12 @ home

Oakland has been burned by Eli Manning but it's obvious that the Cowboys are going to run against the raiders so expectations for Romo should be lowered but it isn't a particularly scary matchup for Romo.

week 13 @ Meadowlands

The Giants keep getting worse and just fell apart at the end of yesterday's game while the Cowboys finally know who they are without TO. Romo is finally connecting with all his receivers so he should do better when they meet in the Meadowlands.

week 14 @ home

The Chargers are an overrated pass defense, their competition has mostly been weak and Big Ben and Eli had good games against them.

week 15 @ Superdome

Shootout. Yes, the Saints defense is hot but they give up a lot of points and yards. The opposing QBs they faced so far have been pretty poor facing teams like Detroit, Buffalo, Miami, and Carolina. Kevin Kolb did very well against them with 391 yards, 2 td, 3 int but Manning and Ryan were murdered. Most of this has to do with the saints building a huge lead and the defense playing aggressively but I think the Cowboys have a nice well rounded team and should be able to keep the game competitive. Brees can be contained in the first half with a solid running game and a good defense as shown by the Miami and Carolina games. The Cowboys defense has been gaining rhythm lately and we know the Cowboys have a strong running game so it is definitely possible. However, if it does get out of hand early, Romo could turn back into vintage Romo.

week 11 & 16

Redskins have a good defense this year. However, I think Romo is a better QB and a tougher opponent than anyone else they faced so far. Ryan is doing terrible this season, Eli Manning is a good QB but he just doesn't put up the same huge numbers as Romo, and Mcnabb never goes off against them. In addition, Romo usually puts up good stats against them.

[code=

Granted he didn't put up the same numbers in his last outing against them but that was his first game coming off an injury.

Putting this all together, I think Romo is a lock for top 10 QB this year, has possible upside to top 5 (not top 3), and is most likely to finish QB5-7 which is around where he was drafted. I doubt this is telling anyone anything new though, since he has a hot streak and Miles Austin's emergence but I don't think he's someone to sell anymore since I think his value is greater than his selling price. I also don't think he's someone to buy either. I just think people who have Romo should be content to ride him to the playoffs and not panic because he doesn't have a hot playoff schedule like a lot of other QBs.

I actually think he will finish better than he was last year with TO. I watched a lot of cowboy games last year and the games where Romo fell apart had a lot to do with forcing the ball to TO. In games where Romo was good he was spreading the ball around a lot. Defenses from now on, will probably utilize the same tactics as the Eagles: Take out Austin and Witten the same way they took out TO and Witten last year with double teams, rolling coverage, and bumping them at the line (? didn't see if this happened a lot last night but i know they did this a lot last year). Seeing as how he wouldn't force the ball to Miles Austin last night and instead opted to go to the open man, I think it's safe to say it will only get better for the Cowboys. He should be the QB we expected him to be last year and should be ranked higher if it weren't for the fact that there are more elite QBs this year than there were in the past. However, I think the drop off is a lot lower than the rankings indicate. Anyways, as I said this is my first post and I am by no means an expert so I could be wrong on a lot of things. I've only been into fantasy football for 2 years counting this one so I am a newbie so anything I say should be taken with a grain of salt but I do my research and I watch a lot of games so hopefully this isn't as useless as a post as I fear it might be. Thanks for reading.

Nice post. I hope you're right, I'm banking on Romo this year...I waited to draft a QB in my draft before this season and it's worked out pretty well for me so far. I have Hasselbeck paired with Romo to play matchups occasionally. Romo looked pretty good to me last night too. He had Witten wide open in the end zone once, but just didn't see him...I think they should get their tight ends more involved...but other than that, I was pleased.

OP, in your reference to TO, and forcing the ball to him hurting the team, i think this is very much becoming apparent.

there were basically two camps on the TO thing.

1) the success of Dallas' offense, specifically Romo was mostly due to TO. Romo, and the Cowboys O will struggle without him. he opened things up, yada, yada, yada.

2) TO, while a great talent, was more of a detriment due to his polarizing personality. the Cowboys can, and will win without him.

now these two camps might not be completely right or wrong, and theres variation on opinions, obviously.

i will argue that this TEAM is becoming a better TEAM without TO. while i cant tell you im 100% sure theres no division in the lockerroom on this TEAM, i'd bet money that the unity of this TEAM is much better sans TO. dont forget, the guy had Cowboys players on "his side" vs. Romo/Witten/Garrett, etc............this is the kind of crap that kills TEAMS.

Last edited by a moderator:
Fan and owner of Romo here. The potential has been there, but he's finally maturing as a QB. Really, it seems like that horrible Sunday night game was a turning point for him, in that he's rebounded and made drastic improvements. Some of the things he gets blamed for are downright silly. People sometimes just like a reason to pile on a guy or throw a label on him.

Users who are viewing this thread