What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Titans WRs and FF (1 Viewer)

Bri

Footballguy
The Titans WRs haven't generally been very useful for FF and are usually just seen as a bye week filler or some cheap(FF) veteran backup.

How do you think the stats shake out?
If someone surpasses another- Who starts most of the year?

As of now-the starters are Kendall Wright opposite Hunter with Douglas in the slot.

Others-

Hakeem Nicks-supposedly looks good so far

Jacoby Ford-yeah that guy from the Raiders

DGB-common discussion here

Tre McBride- A waldman favorite (<--unsure if right term, might be too strong) curiously fell to 7th round, 3rd or 4th round talent.

Rico Richardson-a typical end of roster WR

Clyde Gates-from Fins and Jets

Andrew Turzilli-a 6-4 rookie, faster than every WR in the draft over 6-3. Played better than all other WRs at rookie camp. Almost zero college production

Deon Long- Rook from Maryland. Some really liked this guy there's an article out there how BB was intrigued.

**And the RB/WR combo that is McCluster

Only Hunter and Wright have experience playing in Whisenhunt's system.

Are any of them going to be useful for FF? If so what are ya thinking and/or projecting for them?

Wright is, imo, hugely undervalued. I have him in the 20s in ppr while this site and the mocks have him a lot lower. Granted, I might be overly optimistic.

I think MM will use him and walker better than mett did and the offense should be better all around. I have him with a good chance of exceeding 80/1000/6, but a fair chance of greatly exceeding those numbers.

FWIW I have him in every dynasty league except a salary cap league where I couldn't afford to add his salary.

Last edited by a moderator:
I see Wright and Walker as the only 2 guys who MM can rely upon. I'm deep at Wr in one league and tried to move Wright and people laugh at me. He's definitely a "hold" for now.

I feel like DGB will be a day one starter along with wright and with hunter and douglas competing for the #3 spot.

McBride could play his way into more reps but his value will be determined by MM/Wiz and how he is used.

Nicks has some football left maybe.

I feel like DGB will be a day one starter along with wright and with hunter and douglas competing for the #3 spot.

McBride could play his way into more reps but his value will be determined by MM/Wiz and how he is used.

You may be right but I do not have a good feeling for DGB this year. Being away from football for a year there has to be a learning curve unless they just have him run a very limited route tree. Obviously, preseason will tell much more. For now, I'm tempering my expectations for DGB.

DGB is clearly the most talented guy to play opposite Wright, but I expect that he is just way too raw to be a day 1 starter. Definitely the guy to keep the closest eye on during the preseason though. I think Hunter gets another shot by default, but I don't see any reason to expect him to take advantage of it. In redraft, this is just a situation to closely monitor. Worth a late round flyer on guys like DGB, Hunter and even McBride possibly. Don't waste your time on any of the other guys. If Nicks couldn't produce with the Manning and Luck throwing the ball around and having a clear hole at the WR position then don't expect him to produce in TEN.

I see Wright and Walker as the only 2 guys who MM can rely upon. I'm deep at Wr in one league and tried to move Wright and people laugh at me. He's definitely a "hold" for now.
It's almost a given that you're never going to get fair value for possession receivers who don't find the end zone too often. I seemingly always wind up with more than my fair share of guys like Wright, Sanders, Edelman, Cooks on my redraft rosters (especially in PPR) ... but I've long since resigned myself to the fact that when I draft them in keepers / dynasties, I've got to be willing to ride or die with them.

Having said that, I agree with FUBAR that Wright looks to be significantly undervalued again heading into this season. He's going late-30s / early-40s among WR in the FBG survivors, and IMO he's a pretty safe bet to finish in the WR25-30 range with Mariota under center this year.

Not sure I'd draft any other Titans WR at anything but back-end flier prices until I see how things are shaking out in training camp though.

Suppose Nicks looks real good-How will you gauge if he really is and it's just another step to recovering from injury or if it's the lack of quality play from Hunter and DGB? Neither of them(obviously DGB) has proven they can get it done in the NFL

Suppose Nicks looks real good-How will you gauge if he really is and it's just another step to recovering from injury or if it's the lack of quality play from Hunter and DGB? Neither of them(obviously DGB) has proven they can get it done in the NFL
If hes producing, would it matter? Serious question

I was wondering what happened to Turzilli. He mainly ran go routes at RU, but made a few big plays. He has a long way to go until he is ready to play in the NFL, but is an interesting prospect if he can learn how to play WR in the NFL sense of the position.

No not during the season, but if we're making projections and predictions during preseason that alters it. Preseason production is a different unpredictable indicator

That was last week. The full article is at tennessean and interviews at titansonline. That's just the NFL.com guy's take.

Justin has been mister perfect thus far. No off the field issues, came in super shape. Wright alluded to him being in perfect shape and changing how he worked out and maturing when he was discussing how DGB could improve his physique workout regimen. (Wright is becoming the leader) The extremely vocal and always riding Hunter- WR coach Jefferson said "not a peep" when asked about Hunter which means geesh he worked hard and did well if I didn't say a thing.

He was one of those mentioned as having studied the playbook and been ready to go day 1.

He gets it. Totally, completely.

Will he produce like his enormous potential-I have no idea but everything a coach wants and everything Munchak and Whis and Jefferson brow beat into him all came through thus far.

It IS end of the road, time to produce, we're not waiting any longer for you, we've got DGB here...etc but he is also ready rarin' to go and being a model student/player this year.

That was last week. The full article is at tennessean and interviews at titansonline. That's just the NFL.com guy's take.Justin has been mister perfect thus far. No off the field issues, came in super shape. Wright alluded to him being in perfect shape and changing how he worked out and maturing when he was discussing how DGB could improve his physique workout regimen. (Wright is becoming the leader) The extremely vocal and always riding Hunter- WR coach Jefferson said "not a peep" when asked about Hunter which means geesh he worked hard and did well if I didn't say a thing.

He was one of those mentioned as having studied the playbook and been ready to go day 1.

Will he produce like his enormous potential-I have no idea but everything a coach wants and everything Munchak and Whis and Jefferson brow beat into him all came through thus far.

It IS end of the road, time to produce, we're not waiting any longer for you, we've got DGB here...etc but he is also ready rarin' to go and being a model student/player this year.
Good post. I hope you are right about Hunter.

That was last week. The full article is at tennessean and interviews at titansonline. That's just the NFL.com guy's take.Justin has been mister perfect thus far. No off the field issues, came in super shape. Wright alluded to him being in perfect shape and changing how he worked out and maturing when he was discussing how DGB could improve his physique workout regimen. (Wright is becoming the leader) The extremely vocal and always riding Hunter- WR coach Jefferson said "not a peep" when asked about Hunter which means geesh he worked hard and did well if I didn't say a thing.

Good post. I hope you are right about Hunter.
It's a week in. A lot of players are a good boy week one. We'll see

In 2013 Wright was fairly productive but really what what more valuable then his total production was his fantastic consistency. That season he had 11 straight weeks of double digit fantasy per game production. Despite WR3 year end production I found him to be a valuable piece as a guy I felt I could start every week with total confidence he would not skunk me.

Then last year he was not only bad but he was wildly inconsistent.

I don't have time to find the link right now but a long writeup today regarding how Wright is a freelancer at heart, article called it streetball player I think, and Whiz was adamant about making him a precise route runner. I think the article was wrote by the ESPN Titans beat report, the guy named Paul Khuranasky ?(the last name I can't spell). The article did not sound really overly encouraging even tough I think it was designed to be a little bit of a puff piece. I had hopes of seeing Mariotta throwing a lot of bubble screens Wrights way but he might just be a bad fit for what Whiz wants.

I'd still consider him a solid hold as he could relocate next season if they don't want to pay him over $7 million and I still think he's at least a weak WR3 this year at worst.

As for the other WR's on the team they all might have endured the worst QB play in the league. Mariotta won't have to do much to provide a noticeable updgrade even if he is raw.

Bri said:
menobrown said:
In 2013 Wright was fairly productive but really what what more valuable then his total production was his fantastic consistency. That season he had 11 straight weeks of double digit fantasy per game production. Despite WR3 year end production I found him to be a valuable piece as a guy I felt I could start every week with total confidence he would not skunk me.

I don't have time to find the link right now but a long writeup today regarding how Wright is a freelancer at heart, article called it streetball player I think, and Whiz was adamant about making him a precise route runner. I think the article was wrote by the ESPN Titans beat report, the guy named Paul Khuranasky ?(the last name I can't spell). The article did not sound really overly encouraging even tough I think it was designed to be a little bit of a puff piece. I had hopes of seeing Mariotta throwing a lot of bubble screens Wrights way but he might just be a bad fit for what Whiz wants.

I'd still consider him a solid hold as he could relocate next season if they don't want to pay him over $7 million and I still think he's at least a weak WR3 this year at worst.

As for the other WR's on the team they all might have endured the worst QB play in the league. Mariotta won't have to do much to provide a noticeable updgrade even if he is raw.
It's not that. I think you're taking that the wrong way and the author could have been more clear about last year versus this year.
Please enlighten me to as what you think I took the wrong way because I don't know what you are talking about. It's pretty cut and dry to me.

Bri said:
menobrown said:

It's not that. I think you're taking that the wrong way and the author could have been more clear about last year versus this year.
Please enlighten me to as what you think I took the wrong way because I don't know what you are talking about. It's pretty cut and dry to me.
I did try and explain, I wrote a short novel. You snipped it and posted this wise comment. So now I deleted mine. Figure it out on your own

Last edited by a moderator:
Bri said:
menobrown said:

I did try and explain, I wrote a short novel. You snipped it and posted this wise comment. So now I deleted mine. Figure it out on your own
Nothing in your short novel addressed what you think I was wrong about which is why I asked the question. I cut it off simply for the sake of brevity for anyone else who might actually want to read this thread but I agree that deleting it was the best move.

I don't think Nicks producing is a likelihood you need to spend a lot of time worrying about. Since his 1,200 yard in 2011, and with that same offense, he produced 405 yards and 4 TDs in '12, and then 896 yards when mostly healthy in '13 and 0(!) TDs. Then he moved over to working with one of the best QBs in the game and a situation where he had room to shine and really only Hilton to compete with for catches and managed 692 yards and 3 TDs. The three years of constant minor injuries (after 2 years of regular but not crippling injuries) won't miraculously cease. Moving from Luck to Mariota, from the top 2014 passing offense with 5,000 yards to the 22nd passing offense with 2/3 of that and lots of competition for the ball ... I'd guess 375 yards and 2 TDs and pass out cupcakes if he doubles that.

I don't think Nicks producing is a likelihood you need to spend a lot of time worrying about. Since his 1,200 yard in 2011, and with that same offense, he produced 405 yards and 4 TDs in '12, and then 896 yards when mostly healthy in '13 and 0(!) TDs. Then he moved over to working with one of the best QBs in the game and a situation where he had room to shine and really only Hilton to compete with for catches and managed 692 yards and 3 TDs. The three years of constant minor injuries (after 2 years of regular but not crippling injuries) won't miraculously cease. Moving from Luck to Mariota, from the top 2014 passing offense with 5,000 yards to the 22nd passing offense with 2/3 of that and lots of competition for the ball ... I'd guess 375 yards and 2 TDs and pass out cupcakes if he doubles that.
Do you think he makes the team then? With the young talent around, if you're the coach, do you keep him if you imagine those stats or go with a younger guy?

Users who are viewing this thread