What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Time to Dump Gates! (1 Viewer)

Last week he's in there for me. Glad I was able to snag HMiller a few weeks ago. I never thought it would come to this after hearing he was in the best shape in years.

Just traded Donald brown for him....taking candy from babies
Brown's schedule opens up and it's damn near impossible to find a RB who gets 20 touches nowadays. Sadly, it seems like TEs of Gates's quality are a dime a dozen right now. Dare I say you'll regret this trade. Brown isn't nearly as bad as everyone makes him out to be.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep. He's now planted on my bench but the way he's played I don't even want to roster him. Looks like crap on the field.

Almost had a TD then a 40 yard catch called back for some odd reason. OAK-GB-DET-IND after the bye week, I'd put some chips on the old man

Rivers just isn't looking his way like he use too. They just need to get rid of Turner and this team will turn things around. Never like Turner and never will.

What value would you possibly get for him?

Pretty much the worst case scenario for him, but I don't consider him droppable yet. He's earned a spot on my bench, but I wouldn't be surprised if he re-emerges

To the bench for Miller, ill take Heath and his 4/40 line if thats the worst he will do rather than wait for Gates to do something.

Gates would have had a nice stat line this week if it wasn't for:

1. Rivers

2. Nolan

3. NO defense

4. Pitiful officiating

If you said 4, you're a winner!

PS: I am NOT a Gates owner. I'd give ya Celek for Gates right now.

Do they start getting Rosario more involved? He looked good on his catch I saw tonight. Looks like a younger version of Gates tbh.

I couldnt help but laugh at the play where Rivers and Gates threw up their hands in desperation for a penalty at the end of the game. It was a pass intended for Gates in the end zone. Generally, TE's look like molasses, but Gates looked like molasses cryogenically frozen next to Han Solo. Sad to see him hurt us, but he is done.

He was two plays away from a thread called, "Gates is still elite."

Is he on par with the current studs? No, but my guess is he will have enough value the rest of the way to make people regret dropping him.

I've got to be a little concerned when gates can't get any action in a shootout against the Saints.

I don't know enough to say what it IS, but I know what it isn't: It's not the same as it was and with the TEs in the league today, you can replace him at will. At this point, i think he is the classic "big Name" guy that leads you into mistakes because you play him based on his name, while leaving the Millers, Celeks, etc on the bench and all those guys you leave on the bench are every bit as likely to have better consistency at this point.

How can Rivers be his problem, this is the same quarteback that helped him be top 5 for all those years. He is old

He was two plays away from a thread called, "Gates is still elite."Is he on par with the current studs? No, but my guess is he will have enough value the rest of the way to make people regret dropping him.
This is the story every week. If this was week 2 or even 3, I'd still be on board. He'll be on my bench for as long as I can hang onto him, but I won't hesitate to dump him if I see someone of value on the waivers.

How can Rivers be his problem, this is the same quarteback that helped him be top 5 for all those years. He is old
Rivers has looked much more inaccurate this year than he has in the past. The passes that he used to drop into Gates are now being overthrown by 5 yards.Gates definitely looks slow though...the only way he is getting separation is pushing off on the defender.

Almost had a TD then a 40 yard catch called back for some odd reason. OAK-GB-DET-IND after the bye week, I'd put some chips on the old man
Yeah too early to give up completely on him. That 40 yarder did not seem like interference to me. His night was better than the stats suggest.

Yeah too early to give up completely on him. That 40 yarder did not seem like interference to me. His night was better than the stats suggest.
Unfortunately, the stats are the judge, jury, and executioner in fantasy.

Was just offered Rudolph for him. Sounds like I should take it, according to you guys.
I know no one cares about my team, but i am sharing the following as a gauge of value.I picked up Rudolph in my 14 team ppr dynasty league this summer, however i have not yet started Rudolph over Gates, but my patience is wearing thin. I keep getting sucked in to "this is the week" and one of these weeks (possibly this week or next) i will make the move to Rudolph until Gates comes around, if at all.I put Gates on the block and the only offer i received was for Jacob Tamme, which i rejected. I figure for that price I might as well keep Gates to see if he comes back to relevance.

And taking advantage of guys who overreact to non-stats is the key to finding good trade value. See: Witten, Jason two weeks ago.

Rivers has looked much more inaccurate this year than he has in the past. The passes that he used to drop into Gates are now being overthrown by 5 yards.Gates definitely looks slow though...the only way he is getting separation is pushing off on the defender.
Rivers arm does not look as strong as in the past. Last night his passes seemed to flutter at times. Gates does not look as fast or agile as in the past, seem the foot injuries have cause him to lose some speed and agility. Plus he looks really heavy. Time will tell but I am not liking the Rivers-Gates combo this year.

I am officially blaming this week's loss on Gates. I lost by 3 friggin points. How do I lose with Reggie Wayne blowing up like he did? I'll tell you how....by having Gates! :wall:

Just traded Donald brown for him....taking candy from babies
Brown's schedule opens up and it's damn near impossible to find a RB who gets 20 touches nowadays. Sadly, it seems like TEs of Gates's quality are a dime a dozen right now. Dare I say you'll regret this trade. Brown isn't nearly as bad as everyone makes him out to be.
Agreed.
Coincidentally, I just made that exact trade in 14 team ppr. I am horribly thin at rb with Rudolph and Fred Davis as other TE options. I was excited to have Gates but did not have patience to wait on him with glaring needs at other positions and depth. The other guy needs a te real bad. Hope it works out well for both of us.

I had Gates on one team up until week 5. Because I had a vested interest, I watched him when I could.

Gates looks slow to me, despite the claims about him being "fast" and "moving better" than he had in a while.

In the 2 Charger games I've seen it felt like Rivers looking for Floyd much more, too. However, that wasn't really the case. Last night Floyd had 8 targets to Gates' 7, for example. On the season, Gates' weekly targets so far aren't breathtaking but not paltry either aside from week 4, when the whole Charger team wasn't pass happy: 8-dnp-7-3-7. Gates' receptions breakdown stands at 4-dnp-3-3-3. Best yardage game for him was week 4 with 59. Meanwhile Floyd's target totals are 6-8-9-3-8 and Floyd's reception totals are 4-6-3-2-5. Floyd's had two weeks with over 100 yard receiving, though.

It just seems like nothing is going right for Gates so far. Just last night, a ball was knocked out of his hands in end zone, there was a late-game penalty on him, etc.

I think Gates is worth holding as a backup if you can afford the roster spot. His upcoming schedule for is not bad. Hopefully you're not relying on him, though, at this point. He's just not doing much.

'PhantomJB said:
'Shutout said:
'Gandalf said:
And taking advantage of guys who overreact to non-stats is the key to finding good trade value. See: Witten, Jason two weeks ago.
True enough and I don't claim to know for certain where we are on this (to a degree that I would make a recommendation). But from the perspective of someone with no vested interests or biases with gates, he doesn't pass the eyeball test to me. I never watched him a lot; usually just when my FF game was in the balance and he was playing against me. In the past, he seemed dynamic and smooth and sudden. Last night, he seemed to lumber and, while he has "moves", they did not look like he was bursting into them. Before, he was like a rocket ship, defying gravity as he shifted suddenly and got into position. Now, he looks like he is affected by gravity and just sorta rolls into position. juct my take from the peanut gallery.

Here are the FBG Top 12 TE recpt/yds stats for week 5. We all know that TDs are highly variable and Gates himself got a great look.

1. Graham 1/4

2. Gronk 4/35

3. Gonzo 13/123

4. V.D. 5/106

5. Gates 3/19

6. Bennett 3/30

7. Daniels MNF

8. Celek 3/9

9. Finley 3/11

10. Olsen 2/37

11. Rudolph 4/23

12. Pitta 3/22

Only two Top 12 TE's with > 50 yards.

Dudes need to get off the ledge and get some perspective.

I had Gates on one team up until week 5. Because I had a vested interest, I watched him when I could. Gates looks slow to me, despite the claims about him being "fast" and "moving better" than he had in a while.In the 2 Charger games I've seen it felt like Rivers looking for Floyd much more, too. However, that wasn't really the case. Last night Floyd had 8 targets to Gates' 7, for example. On the season, Gates' weekly targets so far aren't breathtaking but not paltry either aside from week 4, when the whole Charger team wasn't pass happy: 8-dnp-7-3-7. Gates' receptions breakdown stands at 4-dnp-3-3-3. Best yardage game for him was week 4 with 59. Meanwhile Floyd's target totals are 6-8-9-3-8 and Floyd's reception totals are 4-6-3-2-5. Floyd's had two weeks with over 100 yard receiving, though.It just seems like nothing is going right for Gates so far. Just last night, a ball was knocked out of his hands in end zone, there was a late-game penalty on him, etc.I think Gates is worth holding as a backup if you can afford the roster spot. His upcoming schedule for is not bad. Hopefully you're not relying on him, though, at this point. He's just not doing much.
Floyd had a 23 yarder called back on a cheesy penalty, and dropped a 10-15 yarder that hit him in the hands. Gates is old and slow and has to be a hard decision to play, but in a league that combines WR/TE like ours, Gates is WW material and Floyd is money.

Here are the FBG Top 12 TE recpt/yds stats for week 5. We all know that TDs are highly variable and Gates himself got a great look.1. Graham 1/42. Gronk 4/353. Gonzo 13/1234. V.D. 5/1065. Gates 3/196. Bennett 3/307. Daniels MNF8. Celek 3/99. Finley 3/1110. Olsen 2/3711. Rudolph 4/2312. Pitta 3/22Only two Top 12 TE's with > 50 yards. Dudes need to get off the ledge and get some perspective.
obv people aren't reacting just because of this week. people are reacting because he's put up like 14 fantasy points over 4 weeks. his targets/game are low, his reception % is low, rivers looks inaccurate, and gates looks slow, though I've thought gates looked slow for a few years now and relies more on clever use of his bigass body/good hands/good route running to make plays as opposed to sheer speed.so, the chargers have played 4 of the worst defenses in the league so far and have put up decent numbers in those games, but vs. the only good defense (falcons), they put up 3 points. fortunately, they don't play many good defenses at all this year - ravens look like the only decent squad they play. so that shouldn't be much of an issue. however, it's still concerning that gates hasn't been an integral part in any of their games so far.right now I'd probably bench him for pitta/rudolph/celek types, esp if they have good matchups, but obviously don't drop him. that's completely ######ed. first, him and rivers will probably come around at some point. they've been killing together it for 8 years now with a slight recent dropoff... I don't see why that should change things to the point where you want to DROP him. second, even if that means nothing to you and you have no faith at all, there is no way he doesn't have some trade value.

Do u think Keller is worth dropping Gates for. They said Keller will be back next week. Should I take my chances. I have Witten and Cook also

Here are the FBG Top 12 TE recpt/yds stats for week 5. We all know that TDs are highly variable and Gates himself got a great look.1. Graham 1/42. Gronk 4/353. Gonzo 13/1234. V.D. 5/1065. Gates 3/196. Bennett 3/307. Daniels MNF8. Celek 3/99. Finley 3/1110. Olsen 2/3711. Rudolph 4/2312. Pitta 3/22Only two Top 12 TE's with > 50 yards. Dudes need to get off the ledge and get some perspective.
Now, do this for all five weeks and get back on the ledge. :thumbup:

Users who are viewing this thread