What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Tillman pick 6 Romo is the one to blame (1 Viewer)

steelwind

Footballguy
This is the Shark pool. So I will present concrete data regarding the pick 6 from Tillman. Dez Bryant actually ran the correct route. And John Gruden is an idiot. Although today he may look at the tape and realized that it was all on Romo.

It was just a good play by Tillman. The way the play was set up is that if Tillman pressed on Dez Bryant then he was supposed to run the deep route. If Tillman was off Bryant then he was supposed to run the stop route. You can see in the video Tillman disguised his coverage. Before the ball snapped Tillman pressed up on Bryant. By design Bryant was supposed to run the deep route. But right as the ball snapped Tillman backed off. The interesting question is why didn't Romo see that Tillman was pressed on Bryant? Romo should have seen this and known that Dez was going to run the deep route. I put the blame on the offensive line for not picking up the blitz. Romo was rushed and he made this mistake. And to add salt to the wound, Romo not only failed to read Tillman's coverage he also threw it into double coverage.

1. http://aol.sportingnews.com/nfl/video/ef419b927d9d40058eb771d1dfe7921e

I agree that Dez needs to clean up the drops. But even Andre Johnson and Calvin Johnson dropped potential touchdowns in week 4. I believe it's something Dez can clean up. But the bigger issue for the Cowboys is that offensive line and Romo's questionable decision making. Hope it all gets cleaned up during the bye.

Last edited by a moderator:
If Romo throws the go, Dez might score. Even if Dez ran the site adjustment, it is still likely picked off. Tillman was all over that play and expected the pass. Romo did exactly what the defense expected on that play.

Chris Carter on the Mike and Mike show explained the play similar to what you described and stated Dez was at fault.

If it was Carter, he said he would have stopped and played the hot read.

Just saying CC was a top WR in the league for many years and even said WR's usually don't admit they misread anything.

I think that Dez still needs to mature. After 3 years in the league, he still makes a lot of mistakes that are forgiven because he has such athletic skills. His dropped passes are no excuse though. He had several he should have caught.

Like everyone states, he's a very fustrating player to watch. As a Dallas fan, even more fustrating for me. I don't own him in Fantasy Football because of the above reasons.

If Romo throws the go, Dez might score. Even if Dez ran the site adjustment, it is still likely picked off. Tillman was all over that play and expected the pass. Romo did exactly what the defense expected on that play.
Another thing I noticed. DeMarco Murray failed to pick up the blitz. The Bears knew that Romo loves to spin to his left so they sealed the left edge by sending a hot pursuit. Murray, instead of picking this up decided to block the defender straight ahead. Had Murray blocked the left blitz Romo would have scrambled to his right. And if he did that Romo would have had momentum to throw the deep ball to Dez. It would have been a sure TD. Again, offensive line issue picking up the blitz. Murray is a second year back. Yeah this needs to get cleaned up.

Chris Carter on the Mike and Mike show explained the play similar to what you described and stated Dez was at fault. If it was Carter, he said he would have stopped and played the hot read. Just saying CC was a top WR in the league for many years and even said WR's usually don't admit they misread anything. I think that Dez still needs to mature. After 3 years in the league, he still makes a lot of mistakes that are forgiven because he has such athletic skills. His dropped passes are no excuse though. He had several he should have caught. Like everyone states, he's a very fustrating player to watch. As a Dallas fan, even more fustrating for me. I don't own him in Fantasy Football because of the above reasons.
Of course Carter would say that. But that playcalling by Garrett made total sense. Garrett read the defense exactly and put them in a position to hit that home run. If Tillman pressed Dez runs the go route. If Murray picked up the left blitz then we would be talking about a 70 yard TD by Bryant. Go see the video and imagine if Murray picked up the left blitz. Would have been the easiest TD of Bryant's career instead of Tillman's.

This is the Shark pool. So I will present concrete data regarding the pick 6 from Tillman. Dez Bryant actually ran the correct route. And John Gruden is an idiot. Although today he may look at the tape and realized that it was all on Romo.

It was just a good play by Tillman. The way the play was set up is that if Tillman pressed on Dez Bryant then he was supposed to run the deep route. If Tillman was off Bryant then he was supposed to run the stop route. You can see in the video Tillman disguised his coverage. Before the ball snapped Tillman pressed up on Bryant. By design Bryant was supposed to run the deep route. But right as the ball snapped Tillman backed off. The interesting question is why didn't Romo see that Tillman was pressed on Bryant? Romo should have seen this and known that Dez was going to run the deep route. I put the blame on the offensive line for not picking up the blitz. Romo was rushed and he made this mistake. And to add salt to the wound, Romo not only failed to read Tillman's coverage he also threw it into double coverage.

I agree that Dez needs to clean up the drops. But even Andre Johnson and Calvin Johnson dropped potential touchdowns in week 4. I believe it's something Dez can clean up. But the bigger issue for the Cowboys is that offensive line and Romo's questionable decision making. Hope it all gets cleaned up during the bye.
As you stated, Dez was to run a stop pattern if the coverage was off. Tillman backed off just before the snap. Romo threw the stop pattern. He saw the off coverage. Dez did not adjust to the off coverage. That pick was on Dez.

Chris Carter on the Mike and Mike show explained the play similar to what you described and stated Dez was at fault. If it was Carter, he said he would have stopped and played the hot read. Just saying CC was a top WR in the league for many years and even said WR's usually don't admit they misread anything. I think that Dez still needs to mature. After 3 years in the league, he still makes a lot of mistakes that are forgiven because he has such athletic skills. His dropped passes are no excuse though. He had several he should have caught. Like everyone states, he's a very fustrating player to watch. As a Dallas fan, even more fustrating for me. I don't own him in Fantasy Football because of the above reasons.
Dez might have made a mistake, but watching the play it pretty clear that Chicago expected that throw. Not only is Tillman jumping the hot read route but Urlacher is sprinting into the picture toward the exact spot where Romo expected Bryant to be.

Chris Carter on the Mike and Mike show explained the play similar to what you described and stated Dez was at fault.

Just saying CC was a top WR in the league for many years and even said WR's usually don't admit they misread anything.

I think that Dez still needs to mature. After 3 years in the league, he still makes a lot of mistakes that are forgiven because he has such athletic skills. His dropped passes are no excuse though. He had several he should have caught.

Like everyone states, he's a very fustrating player to watch. As a Dallas fan, even more fustrating for me. I don't own him in Fantasy Football because of the above reasons.
Of course Carter would say that. But that playcalling by Garrett made total sense. If Tillman pressed Dez runs the go route. If Murray picked up the left blitz then we would be talking about a 70 yard TD by Bryant.
But you just said that Tillman backed off once the play began.

“It was just the guy made a good play on the ball,” Bryant said. “He kind of disguised what he was doing. What was called, if I was pressed, I was supposed to run deep. If he was off, I was supposed to run the stop route. He pressed and then he kind of bailed and stopped. I just felt like he made a good play on the ball.”

Basically, Dez got fooled by his own admission.

http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/cowboys/post/_/id/4698723/were-wide-receivers-to-blame-for-tony-romos-first-two-picks

Of course Carter would say that. But that playcalling by Garrett made total sense. If Tillman pressed Dez runs the go route. If Murray picked up the left blitz then we would be talking about a 70 yard TD by Bryant.
That was all Tillman. It was a good play on his part. But if the offensive line picks up the blitz Romo would have time to turn Tillman's play into his mistake. Tillman banked on the Cowboy's offensive line to not pick up the blitz and he guessed right.

That was all Tillman. It was a good play on his part. But if the offensive line picks up the blitz Romo would have time to turn Tillman's play into his mistake. Tillman banked on the Cowboy's offensive line to not pick up the blitz and he guessed right.
I thought Romo was to blame, not the o-line?

I thought Romo was to blame, not the o-line?
Both. Romo threw it into double coverage.

“It was just the guy made a good play on the ball,” Bryant said. “He kind of disguised what he was doing. What was called, if I was pressed, I was supposed to run deep. If he was off, I was supposed to run the stop route. He pressed and then he kind of bailed and stopped. I just felt like he made a good play on the ball.” Basically, Dez got fooled by his own admission.http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/cowboys/post/_/id/4698723/were-wide-receivers-to-blame-for-tony-romos-first-two-picks
Fooled? He said Tillman, pressed, backed off and then stopped. If the CB is sitting and waiting to jump the hot read you think it is a mistake to take it deep?

“It was just the guy made a good play on the ball,” Bryant said. “He kind of disguised what he was doing. What was called, if I was pressed, I was supposed to run deep. If he was off, I was supposed to run the stop route. He pressed and then he kind of bailed and stopped. I just felt like he made a good play on the ball.” Basically, Dez got fooled by his own admission.http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/cowboys/post/_/id/4698723/were-wide-receivers-to-blame-for-tony-romos-first-two-picks
Fooled? He said Tillman, pressed, backed off and then stopped. If the CB is sitting and waiting to jump the hot read you think it is a mistake to take it deep?
It is if your QB is expecting you to stop. Who knows what happens if he did. Tillman may still have gotten it. But Dez might have gotten it too. Or knocked it down. We'll never know.

It is if your QB is expecting you to stop. Who knows what happens if he did. Tillman may still have gotten it. But Dez might have gotten it too. Or knocked it down. We'll never know.
Tillman would have gotten it. Tillman jumped on that route way early because Urlacker was the safety valve.

How do you know he ran the right route?

Who cares, the result was a pick six from a QB who is highly over rated and always has been. Discussion does not equal justification.

Why did Dez stop, then take back off again? He was supposed to run the stop route or the go route, not a stop and go, double move. Seems like it is on Dez. Bad pass though, but you don't know what's going to happen if Dez stops.

'Ridgelake said:
'steelwind said:

As you stated, Dez was to run a stop pattern if the coverage was off. Tillman backed off just before the snap. Romo threw the stop pattern. He saw the off coverage. Dez did not adjust to the off coverage. That pick was on Dez.
:goodposting:

'Wadsworth said:
'Ridgelake said:
Its not necessarily a mistake to take it deep there theoretically. However, if that wasn't part of the play, doing so isn't what your qb thinks our will do. That makes it is a bad play.

Users who are viewing this thread