What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Tie breaker in Playoff Matchup (1 Viewer)

chihawk

Footballguy
Unbelievable...

We use decimal scoring in our league and in one of the semi-finals this week two team tied. In the regular season this would count as a tie, but can't do that in the playoffs.

How do you deal with this in your league?

in one league we use highest score by a single player in the lineup (QB, RB, WR, TE) and if that is still equal most points scored by the quaterback, than the kicker and than TE

Most points on bench only works if the bench of both teams contains equal positions.

If team A has two QBs, a highscoring DST and team B has (for whatever reason) a kicker, two TEs and no QB on the bench, that would be pretty unfair.

Last edited by a moderator:
in one league we use highest score by a single player in the lineup (QB, RB, WR, TE) and if that is still equal most points scored by the quaterback, than the kicker and than TEMost points on bench only works if the bench of both teams contains equal positions.If team A has two QBs, a highscoring DST and team B has (for whatever reason) a kicker, two TEs and no QB on the bench, that would be pretty unfair.
Similiar. We start with highest scoring kicker as most NFL games ending in ties are decided by kickers. With no prior rule in your league, I'd probably have them flip a coin or go with the highest seed. Crazy option I just thought of: Have them submit a limited lineup QB/RB/WR/TE/K/Def from players in tonight's game (submit only to the commish so as not to be revealed until after kickoff).They could also then rank additional tie breaker positions or something wacky like that in case they pick the same players and it is still tied.

We use the higher rank wins by default just b/c picking someone's points off the bench would be unfair as some teams use their bench for handcuffs, and some teams use good fill in players for following weeks on their bench.

Hate the bench thing. I don't think it's nearly as fair as the higher seed advances.

However you do it...it's a horrible mistake that you have nothing spelled out in the rules. Because of that, I think your only truly fair answer is a coin flip...and make the two teams equally split any and all earnings between the two of them.

I devised a Team Captain system for breaking playoff ties for our league several years ago. Before each playoff matchup, teams can designate one player from their team to be the Team Captain for that week. In the event of a tie, the higher scoring Team Captain breaks the tie. If the team fails to designate a Team Captain in any playoff matchup, it defaults to the D/ST. In the event that there is still a tie (which has never happened, and I seriously doubt it ever will), it's settled by a coin flip. Our Rules Committee pretty much agrees that going to bench scoring is unfair.ETA- here is the actual passage in our League Constitution:

PLAYOFF TIEBREAKER SYSTEM- Before the start of each playoff game, each team will designate a Team Captain from their starting roster. If an owner fails to designate a Team Captain before the start of that week's game, the Team Captain will automatically default to the team's starting DEF/ST. Owners may designate a Team Captain by posting it on the league message board, emailing the Commissioner, or by calling the Commissioner. In the event of a playoff tie, the tiebreaker will be the total points scored by that week's Team Captain. If there is still a tie, the Commissioner will break the tie by a coin flip.

Each team submits three players on bench as their tiebreakers, and rank them in order they want them considered. If there is a tie, the points each team's first tiebreaker scored that week are compared, and the higher score wins. If they're still tied, then the second tiebreakers are compared etc.

If the two teams are still tied after that, the each of the remaining bench players are compared one by one, starting alphabetically by last name.

Each team designates one player from their reserve roster as a tie-breaker. In the event a team does not designate a player, the reserve D/ST becomes their tie-breaker. If for some reason those two players would also tie, we then use the total reserve roster points. Not perfect, but at least it gives control to the owners vs. a predetermined seeding. Good luck.

I've been a bunch of different leagues that do different things.

Home Team wins, reserve points, total TD's, submit players for tiebreakers.

My league does this - but it's announced before the season

Submit 2 bench players for tie breakers - if none are submitted 2 are randomly selected

Avg top 3 scorers of the active roster

TD scored

Reserve Points

Coin Flip

Our first tie-breaker is NFL points scored by your starters (so 6 for all TDs, 3 for all FG, 2 for 2 point conversions, 1 for extra points). After that we give it to the highest seed.

Higher seed wins the tiebreaker in 3 of my leagues, and I think the 4th one too...
don't like that at all..Play-offs is a new season, should be starting fresh.
We use higher seed gets the win in the event of a tie. For years we used bench points, but as others have noted this could be unfair because the makeup of the bench could be very different (i.e., one guy could have several qbs while the other could have more IDPs). Other ways I have seen done, throw out low or high scorer from each team until the tie is broken.We have been lucky, no playoff ties in 15 year history of the league although we have had numerous regualr season ties that were left as ties.

In league #1 (Custom MFL): Compare the highest scoring starter from each team until the tie is broken.

In league #2 (ESPN): The system does not observe your league's Regular Season tiebreaker rule during the playoffs. Rather, in the event that two teams have the same number of points at the conclusion of their playoff game, the system tiebreaker awards the win to the higher seeded team.

NOTE: As with everything in the playoffs, the League Manager has the ultimate say on which teams advance using the "Edit Playoffs" page. Each league may establish their own tiebreaker system (for example "Most Points from QB") with the League Manager advancing the team which wins it. If your league uses its own playoff tiebreakers we highly recommend pre-defining them and posting them prominently on the League Office page.

In league #3 (Yahoo): In the event that a playoff game ends in a tie, the deadlock will be broken using the following system:

Most touchdowns scored by entire starting roster.

Most fantasy points by starting quarterback(s).

Most fantasy points by starting defensive team(s).

Most fantasy points by starting defensive player(s).

Most fantasy points by starting defensive back(s).

Most fantasy points by starting defensive linemen.

Most fantasy points by starting wide receiver(s).

Most fantasy points by starting running back(s).

Most fantasy points by starting tight end(s).

Most fantasy points by starting kicker(s).

Users who are viewing this thread