What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Thoughts OnThe Current NFL Weekly Game Schedule - Thur - Sun - Sun Night - Monday Games? (2 Viewers)

Thoughts OnThe Current NFL Weekly Game Schedule - Thur - Sun - Sun Night - Monday Games?

• Love it

Votes: 32 18.6%
  • Like it

Votes: 30 17.4%
  • On the fence

Votes: 9 5.2%
  • Don't really like it

Votes: 62 36.0%
  • Hate it (if this is you, please comment what you hate)

Votes: 39 22.7%

• Total voters
Doug B said:
The name of the law is the Sports Broadcasting Act of 1961.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sports_Broadcasting_Act_of_1961

EDIT: The specific provision regarding Friday night NFL telecasts: https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/15/1293
I always wondered why SNF was only a thing after the college football season ended and why TNF came into being rather than FNF. Never knew it had the force of law behind it.

That said, the concept of "protecting" high-school football games by banning NFL broadcasts is so stupid it's hilarious. "Man, I really wish I could crash on my couch and watch an NFL game tonight. But since there's not, I think I'll head down to Springfield and catch the Fightin' Roosters instead."

[hijack]

Game 1 of this year's ALCS and NLCS both lasted 4 hours and 3 minutes.

The highest-scoring MLB game of the modern era was Phillies 23, Cubs 22, in May 1979. Ten innings, 45 runs, 50 hits, ten pitching changes, and the game took ... 4:03. 

It's a scourge and has to be stopped.

[/hijack]
On a similar note, in 1974, Nolan Ryan threw 235 pitches over 13 innings. He was up against Luis Tiant, who pitched a complete game and lost in the 15th inning. Time of game: 4 hours and 2 minutes. 

Now the fragile flowers as starters can’t pitch over 100 pitches or their arms will fall off. And enough with each team using 6-8 pitchers each game. 

Must be quite the jigsaw puzzle to be the NFL schedule maker. 
Yeah, thought it was funny when people were complaining about the schedule earlier.  Would love to see someone here try to come up with a better NFL schedule, taking into account all of the various conditions that have to be met.  Not a simple task. 

Possibly off-topic, off-subject, or redundant, but Thursday is too soon to ask grown men's bodies to heal from Sunday.  

I love the idea, but the format was there for a reason.  Once a week, and we cheat Mondays.  

Doug B said:
The name of the law is the Sports Broadcasting Act of 1961.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sports_Broadcasting_Act_of_1961

EDIT: The specific provision regarding Friday night NFL telecasts: https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/15/1293
Great post. Thanks, Doug B. 

Why do our LA posters rule so much? You can learn a lot from Doug, SID, Henry, etc. about a variety of things, ranging from sports to politics to law, and where they all intersect, as in this case.  I miss New Orleans, and I've never been.    

Yeah, thought it was funny when people were complaining about the schedule earlier.  Would love to see someone here try to come up with a better NFL schedule, taking into account all of the various conditions that have to be met.  Not a simple task. 
Easy more flex with the timeslots - Allow the NFL to continue to make changes 2-3 weeks out.

Easy more flex with the timeslots - Allow the NFL to continue to make changes 2-3 weeks out.
The ability to flex games mid-season doesn't really solve any of the problems you run into when trying to create a schedule before the season (and is arguably a worse experience for people who actually buy tickets to go to games).  Flex is good for the networks, not the schedule makers. 

The ability to flex games mid-season doesn't really solve any of the problems you run into when trying to create a schedule before the season (and is arguably a worse experience for people who actually buy tickets to go to games).  Flex is good for the networks, not the schedule makers. 
I go to all the games and as long as you know the day it's fine if it's 1pm, 4pm, 830pm as it's a full day for most of the people that go anyways with tailgating. 

I don't see what that has to do with anything though. 
You just literally brought it up.  It's not as hard as your making it out to be. All the other leagues can do it, all with rules.  The times need to be a bit better. Don't need to see the same teams in prime time the VERY NEXT week.  It's fine if they put the 49ers on primetime 3-4 times a year, Just don't need it to be Week 9 and then Week 10.  Spread it out.

I always wondered why SNF was only a thing after the college football season ended and why TNF came into being rather than FNF. Never knew it had the force of law behind it.

That said, the concept of "protecting" high-school football games by banning NFL broadcasts is so stupid it's hilarious. "Man, I really wish I could crash on my couch and watch an NFL game tonight. But since there's not, I think I'll head down to Springfield and catch the Fightin' Roosters instead."
I think it some to do with the other way around.  The NFL wants their fans, (with many of them being  high school football players/kids and their parents) to be able to watch and/or go the local NFL game. Local TV sponsors want people in that area at home watching (live) not fast forwarding on DVR or listening to it on radio in the stands. I don't think they really care about the 20 somethings that go out and party on Fridays. 

Insert your local NFL team here__________.  (For me its the Broncos, even though I am a Chiefs fan.) And have the Broncos play FRI at 700 PM.

Pretty much the entire state and you can include some surrounding states (WYO) that are Bronco fans, would not be able to watch.  A HUGE portion of the normal TV audience is going to their local high school game. Pretty much every high school in the state playing on Friday nights. Now multiply that x2 to the team they are playing against and you have two HUGE parts of your TV audience not able to watch live. A college game(s) doesn't really shut down an entire state, Friday nights almost do. 

Last edited by a moderator:
You just literally brought it up.  It's not as hard as your making it out to be. All the other leagues can do it, all with rules.  The times need to be a bit better. Don't need to see the same teams in prime time the VERY NEXT week.  It's fine if they put the 49ers on primetime 3-4 times a year, Just don't need it to be Week 9 and then Week 10.  Spread it out.
I mentioned that flex scheduling is arguably worse for people who go to the games.  It is, the fact that it doesn't bother you doesn't disprove that.  If I plan to take my kids to a 1:00 game it's a hassle if it gets flexed to 8:30 (thankfully I'm a Giants season ticket holder so that's unlikely to be a problem in the near future).  

More importantly, flex scheduling doesn't really address anything we were talking about earlier since it doesn't make the job of the schedule maker any easier.  Like I said, if it's so easy, go ahead and do it.  I wasn't the one complaining about the schedule, other people were.  I think it's fine, but if you think it can be improved, take a stab at it.  :shrug:  

I like the extra prime time game (TNF) ... more football is good, plain and simple. I hope they will be aggressive with flex scheduling, especially late in the season.  Even if it were just in December... and I know there are many reasons why it's tricky but put a good game on prime time and the fans will watch. Looking ahead at TNF we get JAX / TEN on 12/6. SNF we get SF / SEA on 12/2. MNF finale is DEN / OAK on 12/24... I guess they can leave that one alone since it's family XmasEve parties anyway and I won't be watching. I'd rather miss that than any game they'd flex there. lol

I go to all the games and as long as you know the day it's fine if it's 1pm, 4pm, 830pm as it's a full day for most of the people that go anyways with tailgating. 
1PM/4PM games are way more fun to go to than 8:30PM games. For night games tons of people show up already hammered. And if you aren't in a domed stadium, who wants to sit outside at midnight in December?

rschroeder1 said:
The Thursday night games are too much - it's football overload.  Sunday afternoon isn't as special when football is more widely available.  However, I know some people disagree with me on that one.

I'm not reinventing the wheel here, but it sucks for fantasy purposes to have to start a player on Thursday night because a Sunday player is questionable.

Perhaps more can agree on this - the bigger problem to me is what the NFL defines as a "marquee" game.  We don't need to see the Cowboys seven times a year, as they generally aren't all that good.  Likewise, any NFC East game is not some monumental matchup.  I really do not need to watch another Giants game, period.

Practically every intradivisional matchup in the NFC South is a good game.  They are generally ignored for even the late Sunday afternoon slots.  Just give us good football!
There are easy fixes for this, and I'm always amazed at how many people resist those fixes. (A league thread where you can post a conditional start for any player on the injury report: "If player X sits SUnday, I want player Y's stats" Both players are locked at the start of the Thursday game, just as any player is when a they play.

Games are better this year but, no, I don't think we're getting the best product or it is fair to the players, given the sheer physicality of the game.

Thanksgiving is (was?) special.  Even Monday Night, which was a BIG thing once upon a time doesn't seem the same now that we have Thursday & Sunday night games.

No problems with Sunday night.  Imagine that's a boon for the West Coast too.

thursday night games are stupid, unless the teams playing are coming off a bye.  

Why thursday anyway?  Why not friday? 

Just give every team two bye weeks already, jesus.  Make more money by adding a weeks worth of prime time games AND help the players out at the same time.

Was thinking today how after initially resisting, I've grown to love the current weekly lineup of Thursday Night, Sunday Afternoon, Sunday Night and Monday Night for the NFL schedule.
My primary objection is to the TNF games. Maybe it's a coaching and personnel thing but too many teams are not ready of the game. It hurts the competitive balance of the league IMO. I pout the London and other foreign games in the same category.

With all of these extra games that are now broadcast, I decided to drop NFL Sunday Ticket. Between Thursday night, Sunday, and Monday, there are six broadcast games every week that are already included in my TV package (seven if there's a London game). I usually just watched Red Zone anyway...

London Games feel like preseason games when I watch them. Half the time I forget they're on until after kickoff. But I usually set my lineup early in the week and adjust for injuries & late scratches.

Hate TNF - I always forget that it's on, and they're usually lame matchups that aren't very compelling to watch. And this comes from a guy who's stuck with getting the Titans on my CBS affiliate every week (ugh.) 

Love SNF - usually some of the best matchups/prime time game of the week. Has replaced MNF for me, and has the biggest "spotlight game" feel.

Like MNF. Especially if I have a player going in a close matchup.

I don't care how awful the games are, I love TNF.

Maybe not LOVE, but there's absolutely zero reason to ditch it for one more game when there's already so many on. If the game is bad, most of you guys wouldn't even watch it when it's one of 8 early games on a Sunday, so who cares if it's on and you don't watch it?

Plus it makes a lot of money so the NFL wouldn't ditch it.

Nooooobody is watching this, are they? This wasn't helped by the guys in the booth ripping on the quality of the game.

I root for the ambulance when I watch Nascar. I hope ALL the cars wreck!

Why on earth would I want to watch football played by two rested, prepared teams?!

#CryptoHaloVest

If the NFL simply gave them more bye weeks I'd be all for THU night football AFTER A BYE WEEK. That way the players/teams get more rest/recuperation time instead of less. I'll never understand the, "NO, we want worse quality football!!!!" argument.

The games are usually straight up bad.
Misnomer. The games have been fine overall.
Week 2 : Chiefs 27, Chargers 24
Week 3: Browns 29, Steelers 17
Week 4: Bengals 27, Dolphins 15
Week 5: Atrocious, as we all know.

I find it funny that so many people (not necessarily who I am replying to) get bent out of shape about this. If you arent interested in watching the Commanders Vs the Bears, you weren't watching it if it was on Sunday anyways.

I root for the ambulance when I watch Nascar. I hope ALL the cars wreck!

Why on earth would I want to watch football played by two rested, prepared teams?!

#CryptoHaloVest

If the NFL simply gave them more bye weeks I'd be all for THU night football AFTER A BYE WEEK. That way the players/teams get more rest/recuperation time instead of less. I'll never understand the, "NO, we want worse quality football!!!!" argument.

The games are usually straight up bad.
Doesnt the same thing happen every year where people say how bad the TNF matchup and games are, even though there's proof that they're no lower scoring on average than Sunday games?

Users who are viewing this thread