What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

This JJ Watt love is getting tired (1 Viewer)

The media just goes too far too the point of nausea

Like a cool song they play so much you wind up hating it.
He led defensive lineman is sacks, solo tackles, and passes defended. It was the bold one there that surprised me. He had nearly 40% more tackles than the guy in second. I get that they put so much emphasis on the sacks, but solo tackles as well? Damn.

He led defensive lineman is sacks, solo tackles, and passes defended. It was the bold one there that surprised me. He had nearly 40% more tackles than the guy in second. I get that they put so much emphasis on the sacks, but solo tackles as well? Damn.
Oh yeah, he's a 3-4 defensive end, too.He's that good.

Perhaps you would rather ignore the mindless chatter and look at some cold, hard numbers.

For example, "Defeats" are a statistic kept by Football Outsiders, which count:

[*]turnovers (including fumbles recovered, fumbles forced, interceptions, and tipped passes leading to interceptions)

[*]tackles for a loss (including sacks)

[*]tackles or passes defensed that prevent conversion on third or fourth down

Before this year, the record for most defeats in a season (going back to 1991) was set by Ray Lewis in 1999, with 45 defeats.

How did J.J. Watt's season stack up?

+EPA is a statistic kept by Advanced NFL Stats, which adds up the value added on the successful plays that a defender makes. Stopping a RB for a one-yard gain on first & 10 from his own 20 is worth about 0.4 +EPA (because, on average, you'd expect a team with 2nd & 9 from its own 21 to score 0.4 points less tha a team with 1st & 10 from its own 20), while James Harrison's pick six from his own end zone in the Super Bowl was worth about 12 +EPA (near a two-touchdown swing).

Before this year, the record for most +EPA in a season (going back to 2000) was set by Ray Lewis in 2003, with 87.3 +EPA (that Lewis guy was pretty good).

Perhaps you would rather ignore the mindless chatter and look at some cold, hard numbers.

[*]turnovers (including fumbles recovered, fumbles forced, interceptions, and tipped passes leading to interceptions)

Before this year, the record for most defeats in a season (going back to 1991) was set by Ray Lewis in 1999, with 45 defeats.

+EPA is a statistic kept by Advanced NFL Stats, which adds up the value added on the successful plays that a defender makes. Stopping a RB for a one-yard gain on first & 10 from his own 20 is worth about 0.4 +EPA (because, on average, you'd expect a team with 2nd & 9 from its own 21 to score 0.4 points less tha a team with 1st & 10 from its own 20), while James Harrison's pick six from his own end zone in the Super Bowl was worth about 12 +EPA (near a two-touchdown swing).

Before this year, the record for most +EPA in a season (going back to 2000) was set by Ray Lewis in 2003, with 87.3 +EPA (that Lewis guy was pretty good).

:nerdalert:

The announcers think he should have been ranked higher.

Related

When the announcers said that Phillips stated that (paraphrasing) "Watt was better than Bruce Smith"... I stopped listening.

When the announcers said that Phillips stated that (paraphrasing) "Watt was better than Bruce Smith"... I stopped listening.
I didn't hear what he said but if he said the season Watt had was better than any season Smith had, I think you can make the case.

Oh yeah, he's a 3-4 defensive end, too.He's that good.
:goodposting:

'PlasmaDogPlasma said:
Everybody but the OP knows Watt is awesome and had one of the best defensive seasons ever. Not even worth arguing about.
I agree he is a great player and said so in post title.I just hate the John madden/ Brett favre as others have stated godly talk

Just make a drinking game out of it. Everytime he's mentioned take a drink!

I have a hangover from yesterday because of it.

I don't know about you guys, but when someone is having a historic season at a given position, I generally choose to enjoy being able to see it rather than find ways to year it down.

But hey, different strokes. :shrug:

I don't know about you guys, but when someone is having a historic season at a given position, I generally choose to enjoy being able to see it rather than find ways to year it down. But hey, different strokes. :shrug:
Theres a bit of a difference between enjoying it and having it force fed to you every 5 minutes. I know the NFL LOVES its storylines, almost as much as the WWE, but yesterdays man crush on JJ SWATT was nauseating.

I don't know about you guys, but when someone is having a historic season at a given position, I generally choose to enjoy being able to see it rather than find ways to year it down. But hey, different strokes. :shrug:
Theres a bit of a difference between enjoying it and having it force fed to you every 5 minutes. I know the NFL LOVES its storylines, almost as much as the WWE, but yesterdays man crush on JJ SWATT was nauseating.
And today it's all about Luck and RG3...Why, NFL? Why do you force feed these stories to me?!?!I'm so nauseous right now!

It's no different then what happens with Brady, Rodgers, Manning, etc. The NFL promotes it's star players...shocking I know. I find it refreshing when it's not a QB the announcers slobber all over.

It is an unavoidable fact that they're going to cream themselves talking about someone. Given that, I really think this is a best case scenario. He's not a d0ucher who wears peacoats and ugs to press conferences. He's not an ignorant thug. He's not a cocky buttwipe. He's a respectful, hard working fellow who lives up to the hype. As can be seen from those advanced statistics linked earlier, the guy just had probably the best season of any defensive player in recent history. Be glad you got to witness it and that it is JJ Watt that you are hearing about and not some selfish dolt who is ducking child support on half a dozen illegitimate kids...

Unlike this year when we are still hearing about the jets' back-up QB, JJ Watt has earned overcoverage. I mean in AFC Wildacard game he was relative keep under control with 4 tackles, 1 sack, and 2 batted balls. that's great stat line for a 3-4 DE and it looked just meh for him.

It is an unavoidable fact that they're going to cream themselves talking about someone. Given that, I really think this is a best case scenario. He's not a d0ucher who wears peacoats and ugs to press conferences. He's not an ignorant thug. He's not a cocky buttwipe. He's a respectful, hard working fellow who lives up to the hype. As can be seen from those advanced statistics linked earlier, the guy just had probably the best season of any defensive player in recent history. Be glad you got to witness it and that it is JJ Watt that you are hearing about and not some selfish dolt who is ducking child support on half a dozen illegitimate kids...
Excellent posting

Users who are viewing this thread