What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

They gotta do something about the reffing ?! (1 Viewer)

If it's the last 5 minutes of a close game, that lineman you think might have held better be tearing the guys jersey off, bc I want the game decided on the field. Scott Novak is not the reason I watch.

Quit ####### injecting yourself into the narrative. Games should not be decided on ticky tack bull#### holding calls that kills a team' drive as they are going for the go ahead score. Sick of the referees and questionable calls suddenly changing the momentum of a game.
It's an easy solution: Just ref every game like you call the Super Bowl.

Many years ago now they changed the rules so the clock only stops when going out of bounds within the last 2 minutes of the first half and the last 5 minutes of the second half.

While this is true, I look at two things that I believe are wildly inconsistent.  Yes, the clock stops temporarily on an out of bounds play when it isn't the end of a half.  Then the play clock starts and begins to wind down...  Eventually, the game clock starts... I suspect it should start when the play clock reaches a certain point but it anywhere from less than 30 seconds to 38 seconds.

ETA: Reviewing the rules, I suspect this is related to the time it takes to spot the ball.

The other situation, related to out of bounds, is whether they'll stop the clock based on forward progress.  I get the rationale... if the players forward progress is stopped before they go out of bounds the play was over prior to going out of bounds, and the clock runs.  However, this seems to be often overlooked or called very subjectively.

Last edited by a moderator:
DropKick said:
The other situation, related to out of bounds, is whether they'll stop the clock based on forward progress.  I get the rationale... if the players forward progress is stopped before they go out of bounds the play was over prior to going out of bounds, and the clock runs.  However, this seems to be often overlooked or called very subjectively.

Right, that's a big point that also contributes to confusion (if you don't understand that part of the rule).

If it's the last 5 minutes of a close game, that lineman you think might have held better be tearing the guys jersey off, bc I want the game decided on the field. Scott Novak is not the reason I watch.

Quit ####### injecting yourself into the narrative. Games should not be decided on ticky tack bull#### holding calls that kills a team' drive as they are going for the go ahead score. Sick of the referees and questionable calls suddenly changing the momentum of a game.
So you want them to call the game differently in the last 5 minutes (especially if it’s close) than they do the rest of the game....?..got it....and then we will also complain about them not being “consistent “...this post is the best example of what is wrong with so many fans when it comes to understanding officiating....refs dont care and you need them not to care about how much time is left, what the score is or “who has momentum”.....attitudes and posts like this are so uneducated and lazy....”questionable” calls are why we need referees....

So you want them to call the game differently in the last 5 minutes (especially if it’s close) than they do the rest of the game....?..got it....and then we will also complain about them not being “consistent “...this post is the best example of what is wrong with so many fans when it comes to understanding officiating....refs dont care and you need them not to care about how much time is left, what the score is or “who has momentum”.....attitudes and posts like this are so uneducated and lazy....”questionable” calls are why we need referees....
For me it’s not so much calling the game differently in the last 5 min but rather letting the players deciding some of these outcomes, not the officials. 

I'm with you.  I don't like the idea of a holding call that would have been a penalty in the first quarter now being "okay" in the last 5 minutes of a close game.

ETA:   While there are some rules I would like to see clarified or tweaked I don't think wholesale rule changes are needed.

When a player commits a foul, is that the official or player deciding the outcome?
When team A has the ball 3rd and 13 at mid field with 27 seconds left and a holding call on the other side of the field from where the play is allows them to continue their drive for a FG, that in my mind is the “official deciding the outcome”. 

I think they should change the DPI to be a 15 yard penalty like it is done in college.  Not fair that a referee can make a questionable call that gives so much real estate to the offense on one play that can change the outcome of a game so quickly.

When team A has the ball 3rd and 13 at mid field with 27 seconds left and a holding call on the other side of the field from where the play is allows them to continue their drive for a FG, that in my mind is the “official deciding the outcome”. 

so the official is supposed to see the foul/penalty.....but then wait and see if the play ends up coming to that side of the field before throwing the flag....?.....

maybe the reason the play ended up going to the other side of the field was because the guy on the other side was being held.....

many of you guys are actually making the argument against yourselves.....you are saying you don't want the refs to have an influence on the game....yet you are asking them to change things and how they call the game depending on time left, score, situation, and who has momentum........lol

Maybe the defensive player should not hold in the first place.

JohnnyU said:
I think they should change the DPI to be a 15 yard penalty like it is done in college.  Not fair that a referee can make a questionable call that gives so much real estate to the offense on one play that can change the outcome of a game so quickly.
The other side of the coin is a defender could opt just to take down the receiver if he feels beat.

Easy to sacrifice 15 yards rather than give up a deep ball.

JohnnyU said:

I'd prefer to split the difference.

PI and catchable ball - spot foul

PI and likely uncatchable ball - 15 yards

PI and uncatchable ball as it's called now, ie: in the stands - no foul

Stinkin Ref said:
so the official is supposed to see the foul/penalty.....but then wait and see if the play ends up coming to that side of the field before throwing the flag....?.....

maybe the reason the play ended up going to the other side of the field was because the guy on the other side was being held.....

many of you guys are actually making the argument against yourselves.....you are saying you don't want the refs to have an influence on the game....yet you are asking them to change things and how they call the game depending on time left, score, situation, and who has momentum........lol
Common sense is all I ask for. Don’t butt in and affect the outcome of the game when it’s on the line. These penalties hold wayyy too much weight in deciding these games so give it some thought before trying to be a hero reaching for the flag. 

Pretty excited for the games this weekend. If 5 of the 6 are decided by the players I’d be happy.  

Zeppelin said:
Maybe the defensive player should not hold in the first place.
Lololol, let’s not even go there. There is holding on every play. Bite the whistle near the end when the game is on the line and all will be good. 

Common sense is all I ask for. Don’t butt in and affect the outcome of the game when it’s on the line. These penalties hold wayyy too much weight in deciding these games so give it some thought before trying to be a hero reaching for the flag. 

Pretty excited for the games this weekend. If 5 of the 6 are decided by the players I’d be happy.  
highlighted is the core of basically everybody that says the refs sucks and think a ref actually wants to make it all about them....without realizing that a ref's goal is for you to actually not even notice they are there.....(from Pop warner to the pros)....why do you have to say stuff like "trying to be a hero".....?....thats just ridiculous and uneducated.....did some ref make you bitter back in your hey day cause you thought he cost you a touchdown or something on a Saturday morning at the local park?...they have a responsibility to call a fair game within the rules regardless of the score or how much time is left on the clock or who is winning or what the players name is on the back of the jersey......these guys get so heavily critiqued and evaluated by their superiors that the last thing they want to do is make a bad call or act like a hero....your attitude and others that the refs are the enemies is so tired and worn out....just like the "let the players decide it" at the end of the game crap...

highlighted is the core of basically everybody that says the refs sucks and think a ref actually wants to make it all about them....without realizing that a ref's goal is for you to actually not even notice they are there.....(from Pop warner to the pros)....why do you have to say stuff like "trying to be a hero".....?....thats just ridiculous and uneducated.....did some ref make you bitter back in your hey day cause you thought he cost you a touchdown or something on a Saturday morning at the local park?...they have a responsibility to call a fair game within the rules regardless of the score or how much time is left on the clock or who is winning or what the players name is on the back of the jersey......these guys get so heavily critiqued and evaluated by their superiors that the last thing they want to do is make a bad call or act like a hero....your attitude and others that the refs are the enemies is so tired and worn out....just like the "let the players decide it" at the end of the game crap...
Sorry I hit a nerve but it’s the truth. 

Sorry I hit a nerve but it’s the truth. 
no nerve...just like much of the general public.....you just don't seem to have the first clue about officiating and easily fall into the uneducated flock of sheep that follow the same old worn out narrative.....

no nerve...just like much of the general public.....you just don't seem to have the first clue about officiating and easily fall into the uneducated flock of sheep that follow the same old worn out narrative.....
What are your thoughts on the reffing in the Chiefs/Bengals game?

A lot was made around here in KC about that, so just curious what you think.

Stinkin Ref said:
o the official is supposed to see the foul/penalty.....but then wait and see if the play ends up coming to that side of the field before throwing the flag....?.....

Expand  

For me, common sense is to call the first play of the game exactly how you call the last play of the game. Call every play the same regardless of circumstances. I think its a nearly impossible task for these guys, but that should be the goal. They are under incredible pressure, magnified by a dozen different camera angles that can be slowed down and scrutinized by a million Joe-Six-Packs from their vantage point on the couch. I personally think complaining about referee calls is for losers - meaning, the better team will always win the game over 4 quarters. Football games are never won or lost on a single play, whether that play comes in the first quarter or the 4th.

What are your thoughts on the reffing in the Chiefs/Bengals game?

A lot was made around here in KC about that, so just curious what you think.
 IMO....thought the horse collar/unnecessary roughness call on Snead was really awful.....actually thought they might get together and overturn that one....it wasn't a horse collar...sorry he "aggressively" finished the tackle by throwing him down

also thought the PI on Snead on 3rd and 3 at the start of the quarter was super soft....and not a penalty....they would have punted as IIRC they were inside their own 25.....both these calls helped extend the drive which led to a score...

however....I was more concerned with them not making any adjustments and not giving any help on Chase when he was just waxing them all day.....especially on 3rd and 27.....are you kidding me...?...

all the stuff that happened on the last drive was just kind of the perfect storm......the hands to the face call unfortunately was legit....

KC didn't finish the game the way they should/could have.....did too many things wrong themselves and didn't make the adjustments necessary to seal a win....felt like the pendulum as far as calls go, definitely swung in the direction of CIN as the game went on.....but that happens sometimes....that game was on the Chiefs and their coaches.... not the refs....

eta: also not real happy Andy basically dodged the questions about why not let them score right away when they got down to the one with like 2 minutes left.....you have to let them score there and give the ball back to Mahomes with two minutes and some timeouts left....

I'd prefer to split the difference.

PI and catchable ball - spot foul

PI and likely uncatchable ball - 15 yards

PI and uncatchable ball as it's called now, ie: in the stands - no foul
I was going to like this post....but then I was trying to figure out the difference between the last two.....and the one bolded word is kind of tripping me up.....if it's "likely" uncatchable....does that mean that it could be catchable...?...if so then there are really only the two options which I am ok with actually and how you suggest penalizing them....unfortunately that bolded word is kinda of why we have refs and why they get paid the big bucks....it kind of has to be one or the other....that second option screws everything up...and you didn't mention if accompanied by first downs or not....but I like the general line of thinking....

I was going to like this post....but then I was trying to figure out the difference between the last two.....and the one bolded word is kind of tripping me up.....if it's "likely" uncatchable....does that mean that it could be catchable...?...if so then there are really only the two options which I am ok with actually and how you suggest penalizing them....unfortunately that bolded word is kinda of why we have refs and why they get paid the big bucks....it kind of has to be one or the other....that second option screws everything up...and you didn't mention if accompanied by first downs or not....but I like the general line of thinking....

What I meant is that uncatchable right now is only used in this situation https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCJCtFVvOx4

I'll see a ball sail 5 yards over a guys head and it's never called uncatchable because the player could have made some 1 in 1000 leap/catch.

So what I'm saying is if you truck the WR when the ball is a yard from hitting him in the chest it's a spot foul.  If you grab the WRs arm and the ball sails 5 feet over the WRs head but the Ref thinks it would have more likely than not been have been incomplete, it's a 15 yarder.  If the defender fouls the WR and the cheerleader catches the ball, no foul.

First half of the first playoff game, and a touchdown was allowed even though one of the officials blew his whistle before the ball was caught in the end zone by the receiver. :lol:  

Now, Burrow wasn't out of bounds, so the whistle never should have been blown, and inadvertent whistles do happen, but just another shining example of NFL officiating at its best. 

First half of the first playoff game, and a touchdown was allowed even though one of the officials blew his whistle before the ball was caught in the end zone by the receiver. :lol:  

Now, Burrow wasn't out of bounds, so the whistle never should have been blown, and inadvertent whistles do happen, but just another shining example of NFL officiating at its best. 
Yep, but shhhhh we don’t want to ruffle Stinkin Ref’s feathers for exposing it. 

The Chase push off was a little dirty too. At least a FG was only surrendered on that drive 

Embarrassing first game for the officials.  That roughing the passer on the Raiders last drive was laughably bad. 

Let's see if we get through the second playoff game with the officials not making a mess out of it. *crosses fingers* 

Embarrassing first game for the officials.  That roughing the passer on the Raiders last drive was laughably bad. 

Let's see if we get through the second playoff game with the officials not making a mess out of it. *crosses fingers* 
And to think, the guys reffing now are the ones that had the high grades for the season. So this is the best they have to offer.

And to think, the guys reffing now are the ones that had the high grades for the season. So this is the best they have to offer.
Scary, ain't it?  

What is scary about that roughing call at the end is that one of two things have to have happened:

1) The official with two eyes thought a defender jumping up block a pass and hitting the QB's shoulder on the follow-through is somehow roughing the passer. 

or 

2) The official had a bad angle and didn't actually see what happened and threw a flag on what he thinks happened (the defender hit Carr in the helmet, which we know did not happen).

In other words, the official either needs glasses (option 1) or is calling penalties on imaginary fouls based on what he thinks happened, not on what he saw (option 2).  I am guessing it is 2, and I get that the league has told officials to protect the QB at all costs, but that is just egregious, and is just a bad and embarrassing look for the league. 

In the end, more of these plays need to be reviewable (i.e. they need to be able to review roughing the passer and the unnecessary roughness calls).  There's no reason not to, they are big fouls with huge impacts.

IMO, the worst part is the lame excuse and coverup by the NFL after the fact. How hard is it just to say that the on field officials erred both in blowing an early whistle and in ruling that the whistle had been after the play was over but that the whistle isn’t reviewable under the current rules?

But no, they refused to say that the refs screwed up. It’s pathetic. 

The NFL could not overturn the TD due to an early whistle because there is no rule on the books.

FWIW I disagree with pundits saying the NFL will change the rule to allow premature whistles rulings to be overturned because I've been to an NFL game and have sat in the stands and witnessed people blowing whistles in the stands.  If the NY office overturns a play because someone in NY hears a premature whistle, then how do we know it wasn't from a fan in the stands?

The NFL could not overturn the TD due to an early whistle because there is no rule on the books.

FWIW I disagree with pundits saying the NFL will change the rule to allow premature whistles rulings to be overturned because I've been to an NFL game and have sat in the stands and witnessed people blowing whistles in the stands.  If the NY office overturns a play because someone in NY hears a premature whistle, then how do we know it wasn't from a fan in the stands?
Huh? Presumably the ref would admit that they blew the whistle, right?

I mean, the refs huddled up for quite a while after the play. They absolutely knew they potentially screwed up. And at that point they either didn’t know the rule clearly enough or they really did think the whistle was blown after the play was over. The league office could have very easily reviewed the replay and told them the whistle was before the catch.

And after reviewing the replay a few more times, I take back my earlier assertion that it definitely didn’t impact the play. The one Raiders defender closest to the receiver looks like he let up at the last second and didn’t try to leap up to defend the pass. No way of knowing if he maybe could have made a play on the ball.

Huh? Presumably the ref would admit that they blew the whistle, right?
The refs would need to confirm that only they blew the whistle and that it did not come from the stands at the moment it would affect a play.  Refs on the field would need video proof that there whistle was the one that changed the outcome of the play so they we'd be back to refs on the field going to a sideline booth but now they would need to be able to isolate audio so it would need to be sound proofed to some extent and they'd need to be in frame to know it was their whistle.  A nightmare for everyone.

If someone in the stands blows a whistle and players stop then it's on the players.  

In this case the ball was in the air and the DB wasn't close enough to defend IMHO.  If he stopped because he thought, he heard a whistle when he is engaged with a WR in the endzone in a playoff game then it's on him.  

I don't think the play changed the outcome of the game.  

As bad as that non call was, the fantom blow to head on the last drive was pathetic. Those calls bother me more than this whistle outlier type of plays/calls. These are the plays where the league has to have someone correct those on the spot, just like they have been doing with other calls as well. 

In the end, more of these plays need to be reviewable (i.e. they need to be able to review roughing the passer and the unnecessary roughness calls).  There's no reason not to, they are big fouls with huge impacts.

The roughing the passer on Carr on the last drive was not a foul.  Carr sold it.  The ref that called it was behind Carr.

Even on that play they should get the option of yards already gained or the 15 yards, not both.   Not tack on another 15 after a 20 yard gain.

Yep, but shhhhh we don’t want to ruffle Stinkin Ref’s feathers for exposing it. 

The Chase push off was a little dirty too. At least a FG was only surrendered on that drive 
I agree on the Chase push-off. It was egregious, and I expect calls like that to be made.

Burrow made a great play and the Bengals should not be penalized for that by redoing the down. How many times do players keep playing after the whistle blows, especially when the runner has been stopped and you hear whistles for 5 seconds. By not redoing the down, they got it right. 

Burrow made a great play and the Bengals should not be penalized for that by redoing the down. How many times do players keep playing after the whistle blows, especially when the runner has been stopped and you hear whistles for 5 seconds. By not redoing the down, they got it right. 
I thought about this for awhile and agree with you to a point. The problem is the Raiders stopped playing when they heard the whistle which likely allowed Boyd to get more open in the end zone. Should the Raiders have continued playing through the whistle, probably. 

In the end I think the right team won which is good but it’s just another bad mark on NFL officiating. 

I thought about this for awhile and agree with you to a point. The problem is the Raiders stopped playing when they heard the whistle which likely allowed Boyd to get more open in the end zone. Should the Raiders have continued playing through the whistle, probably. 

In the end I think the right team won which is good but it’s just another bad mark on NFL officiating. 
:no:  

The whistle blew before the ball was caught, but literally an instant. There is no way a defensive player stopped playing that quickly to where it made a difference in the result of the play. 

:no:  

The whistle blew before the ball was caught, but literally an instant. There is no way a defensive player stopped playing that quickly to where it made a difference in the result of the play. 
Hey, have you every watched a thunderstorm? Ever wonder why when you see the lightning you don’t hear the thunder right away? I’m not trying to be sarcastic here. That whistle you thought you heard simultaneously as Boyd was catching the ball actually happened 1to 2 seconds earlier for the players than yourself that due to travelling through the audio equipment. 

The roughing the passer on Carr on the last drive was not a foul.  Carr sold it.  The ref that called it was behind Carr.

Even on that play they should get the option of yards already gained or the 15 yards, not both.   Not tack on another 15 after a 20 yard gain.
its a personal foul....you have to add it on to the "result of the play"....or else in many cases it would be "free game" to commit a personal foul.....there's a reason some of them a labeled personal fouls....if you can commit a personal foul on a play and not have a "consequence" there would be a lot more of them....

I can't speak specifically to the NFL.....but I'm sure there are rules addressing "inadvertent whistles" .....application may be different from level to level, but at all levels there are usually procedures that are outlined.....cause they happen at all levels....been reffing hoops and football since the early 90's....have reffed more games than I can remember and have probably had 10 or so in that time.....which may not sound like a lot to the normal person, but to officials thats 10 too many....its one of the biggest no no's we have.....the general rule usually ends up trying to go back to the "point of interruption"....and thats where a little gray area starts creeping in.....do you give the Bengals the ball where Joe was at on the sidelines....what down do you make it if you do...?.....do you just do a "total do over"  (this usually doesn't happen)....these are part of the reason inadvertent whistles are such a big no no and one of the things we hate to have the most.....it causes a lot of issues.....and in the end somebody isn't going to be happy...

Users who are viewing this thread