What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Theo Riddick anyone? (1 Viewer)

I basically think Riddick is going to put up similar numbers to what he did last season, with the potential for more if Ameer fumbles away his opportunities again.

My gut tells me that Ebron will be more involved in the passing game than he has been, as part of how they adapt to not having Calvin. I think the Lions had been using Calvin on crossing routes and plays over the middle, where he took a lot of big hits. Those are the kind of plays teams will have their TE execute more, and I think Ebron gets to do a lot of that now. 

In my personal opinion if the Lions had kept Calvin outside most of the time instead of trying to get him matched up on LBers (like Calvin doesn't demand a safety over the top at all times) so much, he might have had a longer career. 

Riddick is the other player who is going to work from the slot or out of the backfield as the Lions other outlet option besides Ebron. 

Riddick hasn't shown himself to be a very good runner yet. As a receiver he is always getting open however.

I came across an article, I think I posted it in the MFL 10 thread, anyhow the article is a Lions beat writer talking about how often Stafford threw short last season. To expect more of that in 2016 because of how successful they were doing that. Riddick is a big part of that success. 

As far as the argument that Ameer will take targets away from Riddick, I don't really see that happening because Ameer + Bell combined for 65 targets in 2015. Without Bell I can see Ameer getting 65 targets (picking up Bells looks) but not more than this while Riddick maintains his role in the offense, where he will line up in the slot or different places in the formation.

Last season the Lions ran 1030 plays 632 passing attempts to 354 rushing attempts. If the Lions are able to run the ball a lot more (400 rushing attempts or more) that could eat into the passing targets, which could reduce RIddicks role in the offense. However I don't think the Lions are really built for that. This is a team that has been very pass heavy pretty much every year with Stafford. As they are throwing short so often, this functions as an extension of the running game, but is slightly more effective in generating 1st downs. I don't see that changing much and I would expect passing attempts to be near 600 if not more.

So with 600 passing attempts as the expectation.

Golden Tate 120-140-160 targets

Eric Ebron 65-90-115 targets

Marvin Jones 80-100-120 targets

Theo Riddick 80-100-120 targets.

Ameer 45-55-65 targets

Slot WR 35-50-65 targets (I don't see the slot getting much because RIddick plays this position as well)

If you add up all the median target numbers that is 535 targets, which leaves 65 for other players, or for some of these players to hit the upside target marks.

It bothers me that the numbers I posted in this thread last year got squished such that they are not readable.

Per Adam Schefter:

Lions RB Theo Riddick out Sunday. Justin Forsett could get quick work in Detroit.

So with 600 passing attempts as the expectation.

Golden Tate 120-140-160 targets

Eric Ebron 65-90-115 targets

Marvin Jones 80-100-120 targets

Theo Riddick 80-100-120 targets.

Ameer 45-55-65 targets

Slot WR 35-50-65 targets (I don't see the slot getting much because RIddick plays this position as well)

If you add up all the median target numbers that is 535 targets, which leaves 65 for other players, or for some of these players to hit the upside target marks.
I posted something eerily similar in another Lions thread (Ebron? Not sure.)

Well, we're on pace for 579 PA and 368 RA - that's about 75 below expectations of total plays.

Extrapolated:

Jones 131

Riddick 102

Tate 99

Boldin 90

Ebron 80

Other WRs 26

Other RBs 32

Other TEs 19

Before the injury Theo was on pace for career highs in RA (160) & YPR (3.4), but only 7.3 YPC - 9.3 & 8.7 the last 2 seasons.

Hope he's ready to roll v. the Redskins.

Last edited by a moderator:
It is kind of weird because not only is the Lions offense on pace to have 992 total offensive plays, they also have faced below average offensive plays against. Currently 22nd in that category on pace to face 966 plays against.

Last season the Lions had 1030 total plays and 999 against.

Stafford has thrown the ball 36.2 times per game which if that continues would be 579 pass attempts. This is a little bit below the 600 mark I was expecting, but not that far off.

Tate not playing as well as expected is likely contributing to this because those would be for the most part some shorter completions, but 1st downs and therefore more plays. Instead it has been fewer receptions and fewer 1st downs, thus leading to the overall offense having slightly fewer plays.

Ebron being injured would be a part of that also, however that slack picked up somewhat by Boldin who wasn't with the team at the time of that projection.

Also I did expect Ameer to do more this year than he did as a rookie, for the Lions to have more balance with running the ball than they have. So that leads to fewer total plays as well.

If they could get Tate going or if Washington, Zenner or Forsett could add a bit more to their running game, I don't think the Lions are that far off from earlier projections. As it stands right now they are missing that running element that I expected Ameer to bring and also Golden Tate doing less to move the chains.

As far as Riddick he is averaging 10 rushing attempts per game right now and 6.4 targets per game. So he is doing more as a runner than I was expecting with Ameer healthy but he is right on track with the median expectation of targets, currently on pace for 102.4 targets over 16 games.

https://forums.footballguys.com/forum/topic/744799-anquan-boldin-detroit-lions/?do=findComment&comment=19268228

Aw, it was the Boldin thread. My preseason predictions:

600 targets

WRs - 310

TE - 120

RBs - 170

During Tate's two years, Megatron had 292 targets and Golden 255. The WR3 in those two years had 78 targets, and all other WRs less than 50. I don't see JBC calling for 340-350 WR targets - I'm projecting a 10% drop off.

TEs went from 80 to 100 and I think the upward trend continues as Ebron makes a VD type progression to stardom. I'm an optimist.

RBs - 168 & 173. I'm thinking this stays the same.

Tate - 125

Jones - 95

Boldin - 75, projecting roughly 45-550-5 type year. But I wouldn't be shocked if his playing time increases. 60-750-8? Presiming you can probably get him in redrafts next month in around the SS Sr / Garçon / T. Benjamin range I'd go for it 

Other WRa - 20

Ebron - 100

Other TEs - 20

Riddick - 90

AA - 60

Other RBs - 20

The mix may change once unknowable injuries are factored in.

The Lions need Theo. He's no Pro Bowler but a lot of what they try to do is setup by his role.

He's been a nice backup and spot starter. In my best league (in 3), he's my backup to McCoy and Murray. Had no idea he'd be so solid, so I never realized he and McCoy had the same bye, but his week 13 match up with NO should be nice for Murray's bye. I have him on all 3 although I picked him up in one, no idea why he was dropped, maybe his upcoming bye. Feels like I haven't gotten his full benefit of having him all season in the 2 leagues, partially because I got lucky with Murray in both and he's had those 3 huge weeks and decent ones mixed in. I have a feeling I will be starting him in the flex at worst the rest of the year in the 2 leagues I have those spots.

Looks like a DNP on Thursday, but some reports say he was doing sideline work.

Lions fighting for a playoff spot so I would think they want all hands on deck. Any locals or homers have anything further? I'd personally like to trot him out in my PPR final, assuming he's a go. 

Lions fighting for a playoff spot so I would think they want all hands on deck. Any locals or homers have anything further? I'd personally like to trot him out in my PPR final, assuming he's a go. 
Me too my man, me too. Come visit the Ajayi thread if want to see suffering. God I wish I could get Riddick back...

The Monday game time though is gonna screw us. We won't have enough info assuming you have to play someone on Saturday.

Cowboys giving up over 5 receptions per game to RBs right now. I'd sure love to get Riddick in my lineup this week in a game the Lions have to win. But if he still can't practice after missing two weeks it's hard to be optimistic. Not sure what to make of him running around on the side since he has a wrist injury. I'd be a lot more encouraged if there were reports of him at least catching some passes. 

There's not gonna be any homer report on this one, guys. The stock answer for any Lions injury is "check the report." Levy missed Weeks 2-13 and nobody knew it was a knee injury until after the Bears game.

The Lions desperately need him. They have struggled in the RZ without him. Its not so much what he does inside the 20 but he draws a lot of attention.

DNP Friday either.  

Theo Riddick turning out to be a Grinch. Looks like hes trying to spoil Christmas. 

ETA: but still holding out hope that he ends up saving it. 

My guess is the lions use their high picks on other areas, and this will remain rbbc. Riddick, Abdullah, and zenner will split the carries, and Washington will fight for a spot with a late pick or or udfa. 
This. Also Riddick has shown playmaking ability, specifically in the pass game. He still has lots of fantasy relevancy IMO.

I know he hasn't done much all year, but is anyone else thinking of rolling him out there this week if Tate is out? Seems like that short-pass slot guy in a Cooter offense gets a lot of targets, and I seem to remember that Riddick was at his most productive at the beginning of last year when Tate was ineffective.

My other options are Collins and Cohen. Collins is probably a little safer, but I'm thinking Theo could have some upside this week.

I might have to use him because of byes/injuries.  But his usage this year has definitely been a disappointment.  The Leos are really trying to feature Abdullah. 

i have no problem running him out there as a flex in PPR when he is at home or on turf. AA caps his upside, but he'll get targets

I know he hasn't done much all year, but is anyone else thinking of rolling him out there this week if Tate is out? Seems like that short-pass slot guy in a Cooter offense gets a lot of targets, and I seem to remember that Riddick was at his most productive at the beginning of last year when Tate was ineffective.

My other options are Collins and Cohen. Collins is probably a little safer, but I'm thinking Theo could have some upside this week.
You sure had the right idea in Collins...haha. However I think you may be right...with targets down, Riddick may be a sneaky play. I am surprised he has been as little involved as he has so far. Cooter has taken a step back and not adjusted well this year IMO. Obvious formations/personal correlated with the play calls equals lack of creativity. This has been the case the entire first half of the season. They need to start making teams question what they are doing and Riddick is the wild card they need to utilize more in order to achieve that.

All signs point to Golden Tate (Q) Playing SNF

Golladay is out, as is LT Greg Robinson (the latter is actually a positive.)

Tate is less effective this year because teams are keying on him. Take away Stafford’s security blanket & send the heat. JBC has been (as many besides me have noted) very predictable.

I would not start any Lions until Taylor Decker is  back on the field.

:2cents:

You sure had the right idea in Collins...haha. However I think you may be right...with targets down, Riddick may be a sneaky play. I am surprised he has been as little involved as he has so far. Cooter has taken a step back and not adjusted well this year IMO. Obvious formations/personal correlated with the play calls equals lack of creativity. This has been the case the entire first half of the season. They need to start making teams question what they are doing and Riddick is the wild card they need to utilize more in order to achieve that.
Well, not right enough to start him. And I'm not starting Riddick either. I actually decided I was going with Cohen, and dropped him to pick up the Rams D. 

I was persuaded by @BobbyLayne's analysis that teams are scheming to take Riddick out of the game plan this year. There's also the fact that no one on the Lions offense has really been a consistent fantasy producer this year. It's possible that a couple will eventually emerge, and Riddick may even be one of them, but I just don't think you need to hold on to him out of hope that he will.

Of course, you're talking to the guy who benched Collins this week right before he went off, so that probably means Riddick will put up 8/100/2 this week.

The Lions released pass-catching RB Theo Riddick on Saturday.

The move had been hinted at by beat writers such as Chris Burke, so the only surprise might be the timing since we are so early in training camp. Riddick is one of the more focused receiving backs in the league, catching 281 passes over the last five seasons compared to 268 carries in the same span. That included 74 targets and 61 receptions in 2018, most of which occurred while the Lions were in shotgun. The Detroit Free Press recently predicted second-year back Kerryon Johnson to catch 60 passes in 2019. That seems far more achievable now, and would vault Johnson into one of the more interesting picks at his current ADP of RB19. For Riddick, teams interested in Duke Johnson could look the former Lion's way as his cost would not include a draft pick.

RELATED: 

Kerryon Johnson

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Jul 27, 2019, 9:02 AM ET

I think Ty Johnson is the real winner here, this will create a big chance to get snaps in pre-season.
While it helps Ty Johnson in his ability to make the team I think the only fantasy impact this move has is it bumps Kerryon from a mid/low RB2 up into a low RB1/High RB2 range. In ppr leagues he will now have a much higher ceiling, and really, the 60 receptions that beat writers have been speculating on may be his floor.

While it helps Ty Johnson in his ability to make the team I think the only fantasy impact this move has is it bumps Kerryon from a mid/low RB2 up into a low RB1/High RB2 range. In ppr leagues he will now have a much higher ceiling, and really, the 60 receptions that beat writers have been speculating on may be his floor.
And the biggest winner will be the fullback who now gets the last RB spot on the team.

ESPN's Rob Demovsky reports free agent Theo Riddick's first visit will be to the Saints.

It's been a minute since the Saints had a pass-catching only back be a part of the offense. Travaris Cadet caught 40 balls in 2016. Even with Latavius Murray behind Alvin Kamara, Riddick would have a shot at carving out PPR value in the Saints' backfield. Riddick's presence would further doom Buck Allen's 53-man roster odds. It would also be bad news for Murray. Riddick's "skill-set" is more similar to Kamara's, but another back with a clearly-defined role would mean there would be even less reason for Murray to be on the field. Sean Payton isn't going to sacrifice Kamara touches for Riddick. That, of course, assumes Riddick would even make the team, which would not be a given.

RELATED: 

New Orleans Saints

SOURCE: Rob Demovsky on Twitter

Jul 27, 2019, 5:32 PM ET

Riddick to the Saints would be dope. If that means Buck Allen gets cut, then that's unfortunate for him, but I'm sure there will be teams interested in him. Although if the choice were between Duke and Riddick/Allen, then I'd still go with Duke, even if it means giving up a draft pick. He'd get more touches than either guy, but it would depend on the team. I don't want to see Duke pigeonholed as a receiving back anymore. He's got enough talent to warrant at least 5 carries per game, and probably more than that.

Makes me wonder if some teams will start to incorporate more dual RB plays into their books now that most teams have a decent starter and backup. Really, there are only a few good FBs out there, so maybe teaching one to block a little, while also working on their receiving skills would work out well. Preaching versatility is key, and I wish the Redskins had done that with Alfred Morris, even though he had some very good seasons with them right off the bat.

Riddick is nothing like Murray as a runner.  Riddick's primary ability is catching the ball.  IF he went to NO, it would be strictly to back up and maybe spell Kamara.  But I really don't believe he (or Buck Allen for that matter) are going to make the NO squad. IMO Riddick lost a step in that last injury. He was never a burner and he is too small to out slow people.   This may be the end of the line for Theo barring injury.

Hairy Snowman said:
Riddick is nothing like Murray as a runner.  Riddick's primary ability is catching the ball.  IF he went to NO, it would be strictly to back up and maybe spell Kamara.  But I really don't believe he (or Buck Allen for that matter) are going to make the NO squad. IMO Riddick lost a step in that last injury. He was never a burner and he is too small to out slow people.   This may be the end of the line for Theo barring injury.
Man, I hope not, but I think you may be right. Although, I do expect a team to bring him in for camp and/or pre-season, but ultimately cut him before the start of the regular season.

However, injuries do happen during the regular season, so maybe he can find himself on a squad for a few games like a lot of FA RB floaters do.

Hairy Snowman said:
You could reasonably say Riddick is nothing as a runner. Never was.

As a receiver, the running joke in the Lions locker room for years was nobody ever made so many people miss with the same move. It was a great move! But literally the same dead leg move, defenders would get off balance, and he’d pull the leg back & scoot to the next level. 

Last year he wasn’t the same guy.

Once known for his uncanny ability to make that first guy miss, Riddick became quite tackle-able last season. He broke just 13 tackles overall, according to ProFootballFocus, and ranked 85th among running backs in elusive rating.

You could reasonably say Riddick is nothing as a runner. Never was.

As a receiver, the running joke in the Lions locker room for years was nobody ever made so many people miss with the same move. It was a great move! But literally the same dead leg move, defenders would get off balance, and he’d pull the leg back & scoot to the next level. 

Last year he wasn’t the same guy.
Yikes! I've always been a fan, but it's not looking too good for him. I wish him well though. Not sure what other teams could use him. Maybe the Falcons, but meh, if Riddick is seriously that bad now, then they're better off just trying to coach Kenjon Barner up.

Yeah I think this is the end of the line. He's nothing as a runner and he isn't such a plus in the receiving game that he would give you more in that area than any number of other backs who are better runners. 

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports free agent RB Theo Riddick is scheduled to visit the Broncos.

Released by the Lions over the weekend, Riddick has already visited the Saints and is now headed to Denver. The Broncos already have a young duo in the backfield, but neither Phillip Lindsay nor Royce Freeman showed particularly well in the passing game last year. Riddick is likely to do more fantasy harm than good wherever he lands.

RELATED: 

Denver Broncos

, New Orleans Saints

SOURCE: Adam Schefter on Twitter

Jul 29, 2019, 9:04 AM ET

Broncos signed RB Theo Riddick.

The 28-year-old pass-catching back visited the Saints and Broncos after his release from the Lions but had trouble ginning up more interest. Riddick has a reputation as a strong receiver, but he has been sub-replacement level two of the past three seasons, posting a 7.0 YPC or lower in both 2016 and 2018. Riddick is a complete zero as a runner. His addition has Devontae Booker's 53-man roster spot on life support. As the No. 3 back in an offense that will either be quarterbacked by Joe Flacco or rookie Drew Lock, Riddick is going to have trouble creating PPR value.

SOURCE: Rob Demovsky on Twitter

Aug 1, 2019, 1:58 PM ET

Users who are viewing this thread