What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Theo Riddick anyone? (3 Viewers)

TartanLion said:
Rolling him out over Crowell and Mason in one league to cover Foster if he's out.
Foster is out.

Gonna start three out of Ellington, Richardson, Mason and Riddick. Will probably throw darts at their names to decide.

RB9 and RB7 the 2 previous weeks Bush was out. (And left that Minnesota game in 3rd quarter)

Safe PPR RB2 this week. He's looked like the best receiving option in that backfield. As long as he's on the field.......he'll see touches. Think he was only on the field for 7 snaps vs. Miami (Bush was on field for near 30 plays). Riddick either touched the ball or was the target on 6 of those 7 snaps. As long as game flow isn't a huge negative issue, no reason he shouldn't see 25-30 snaps.

yes he was solid when Bush was out. Debating playing Theo over Mckinnon. I need a win and Theo could be a reception monster with no Reggie to deal with. Pounding Bell up the middle for 3 isn't gonna work and I think Theo could get some chances in space. Tough call as Mckinnon has looked good to but I think Theo might have a big chance to shine here.

I'd go Riddick there. I have Blue, Riddick and McKinnon and probably rank them in that order this week. Asiata kills McKinnon or I'd go with him.

cardinals only giving up 4.1 catches for 30 yards a game to rbs. 3rd best in the league in both categories. still like riddick and am using him at most opportunities but expectations are a bit tempered.

@JasonLaCanfora: Hearing Reggie Bush is a no-go for the Lions big game in New England Sunday. Not ready to go yet. Still working to get back

The Lions have some O line injuries and it has been a point of weakness all year. Penalties, sacks, and allowing way too many TFL. Last week Bell had a good stat line last week but got stopped in the backfield five teams.

The defense is outstanding but I can't see the Lions keeping up with the Pats.

In theory that would seem to enhance Riddick's potential to catch a lot of passes and put up numbers.
Woulda thought that last week too. Judging from the falcons game, where everyone was expecting a decent game from Bell, they go down by 2 TDs early and its the Riddick show. Got down by 2 TDs against the Cards last week, against a dominant Run D, and Riddick is nowhere to be seen.

THere was some talk that Bell has a dinged ankle but has practiced this week

In theory that would seem to enhance Riddick's potential to catch a lot of passes and put up numbers.
Woulda thought that last week too.
I agree. I have no explanation for what happened with Riddick last week other than the possibility that since the game was so close Detroit wanted to keep using Bell more. Just a guess.

But if you think the Patriots will be able put up points and perhaps a lot of points that could mean a different approach will be necessary, one that's more pass-oriented than last week. Plus, there's also the possibility the Lions realized they didn't use Riddick enough last week and don't want to make that mistake again.

Last week was the first time Riddick hasn't come through in a big way when replacing Bush. Granted, it's the game that's freshest in our minds but his history this season would seem to indicate he'll come through as no worse than a strong RB3 in PPR and perhaps more.

Anyone going back to the well or has his last two outing turned everyone off?
Same question. I'm desperately thin at RB and I have the option of picking up Theo off waivers and starting him over Ivory. Any insight on his lack of usage the last two games.

Anyone going back to the well or has his last two outing turned everyone off?
Same question. I'm desperately thin at RB and I have the option of picking up Theo off waivers and starting him over Ivory. Any insight on his lack of usage the last two games.
Honestly, I have no idea. Him not producing in losses but producing in wins is counter intuitive to the way he's supposed to be used. The snaps were there last week and they'll likely be there this week I just don't know how he'll be used.

Rotoworld:

Lions GM Martin Mayhew raved about Theo Riddick Wednesday.

Riddick took serious advantage of his limited playing time last season, turning 54 touches into 367 yards and four touchdowns. "When you have a guy like Theo Riddick, who can make a difference in the passing game, that brings value to your team," Mayhew said. One of the reasons the Lions are considering cutting Reggie Bush is because of Riddick's ability as a passing back. He jumps off the screen when he gets in space.

Source: ESPN.com
Feb 19 - 10:15 AM

Rotoworld:

Theo Riddick is expected to have the first shot at taking the snaps vacated by Reggie Bush.

The Lions only saved $1.7M by cutting Bush, but it was an easy decision because they know Riddick is capable of filling that "passing back" role. Despite touching the ball just 54 times in 2014, he produced 367 yards and four touchdowns while jumping off the screen in space. Per PFF, Riddick caught 2.45 yards per route run last season, best of any back in the league. Joique Bell is going to handle all the inside running work, but Riddick is going to be a PPR asset for fantasy owners.

Related: Theo Riddick

Feb 26 - 9:17 AM

What is Riddick's value going forward? Sproles-like PPR numbers???

For those doing early MFL10s, where would you take him?

I am torn because I loved what I saw of him last year as a receiver and in the open field, but his rushing numbers were horrible. I wouldn't touch him in a deep standard league, but could he be a solid bye week flex in PPR leagues?

Last edited by a moderator:
Rotoworld:

Theo Riddick's role is expected to take a hit following the selection of second-round RB Ameer Abdullah.

When Reggie Bush was cut, Riddick was penciled into the vital passing back role in Detroit's offense. But Abdullah at No. 54 overall is going to throw a wrench into those plans as he also plays well in the pass game. When both Joique Bell and Bush were healthy last year, Riddick barely sniffed the field.

Related: Ameer Abdullah

May 4 - 10:36 AM

Hard to see how Riddick makes any headway this year. It's a shame as he is exciting as hell when he gets in the open field

Rotoworld:

MLive.com's Kyle Meinke envisions most of Theo Riddick's snaps coming at slot receiver this season.

With the selection of Ameer Abdullah, Riddick's no longer the front-runner for passing-down work out of the backfield. If he wants to play, slot receiver may be his best bet. The Lions have Calvin Johnson and Golden Tate followed up by a host of unknowns on the depth chart out wide. Veterans Lance Moore and Ryan Broyles appear to be the favorites inside but also may not even make the team.

Source: MLive.com
May 22 - 9:32 AM

Straight crickets in here...

@4for4_John: Theo Riddick is the #13 RB in PPR formats, folks. #Lions
@RyanMc23: Theo Riddick has 2 carries on the season. He is the RB13 in PPR leagues.
@AdamHarstad: @RyanMc23 That Payton / Lombardi offense in PPR. (Thinking we might have to add Dallas to that list, soon, too.)
@AdamHarstad: Theo Riddick essentially has an identical number of points to Dallas passing back, too. Dont sleep on him as a flex play.
@NickMensio: Targets per Game leaders at RB: Arian Foster & Dion Lewis 7.5, Theo Riddick 7.2, Le'Veon Bell 6.7, Devonta Freeman 6.2, Danny Woodhead 5.6.

I wouldn't get too excited about starting him unless you're desperate.

Last week was a gar-bahzh time extravaganza.

picked him up in waivers overnight.

he will be a great play in week 10 @GB to cover freeman's bye week.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wouldn't get too excited about starting him unless you're desperate.

Last week was a gar-bahzh time extravaganza.
The list of guys you're excited about starting is pretty thin already, though. The target numbers are most interesting to me, and with the struggles of the offensive line, it's not like Detroit is going to wake up on Sunday and start running for 200 yards every week. That leaves Riddick with a pretty valuable Sprolesian role in that offense.

No love for Riddick longterm?

he had 50% of the snaps last week, and Abdullah is still Abdullah . . .

anyone?

Bueller??

Like him as a flex in PPR leagues, but his upside seems too limited to consider him as much more.

Love his matchup this week though, and started in multiple leagues

Theo Riddick by game:

Code:
Snaps	% 	Att	Yds	Y/A	TD	Tgt	Rec	Yds	Y/R	TD	21 	44.7 	0	0	0	0	2	2	37	18.50	1	31	39.7 	1	5	5.00	0	6	5	41	8.20	0	34	45.9	0	0	0	0	10	8	66	8.25	0	30	53.6	1	5	5.00	0	5	5	31	6.20	0	15	15.8	0	0	2.67	0	13	10	53	5.30	1	35	43.2	7	28	4.00	0	6	3	50	16.67	0	12	22.2	3	8	2.67	0	4	3	40	13.33	0	5	8.3	5	17	3.40	0	7	6	30	5.00	0	12	18.5	3	1	0.33	0	3	3	25	8.33	0	25	34.7	6	14	2.33	0	6	5	72	14.40	0

Love the guy but not a startable FF wise.
that's weird, because I've started him a bunch of times and been pleased with the results.
Yeah...I've used him in my flex at least 4 or 5 times in all three leagues I own him, and a couple of times as an RB2 during a bye. Nothing exciting, but seems to have a very reasonable floor week to week. Could certainly do a lot worse.

More teams should find a former WR they can line up at tailback. He's a cover mismatch.
visually impressive - problem is that he does next to nothing as a runner so that's why he's not as good (FF wise) as guys like Woodhead and Sproles - those two can run it inside (at times).

Theo Riddick by game including Thursday:

Snaps % Att Yds Y/A TD Tgt Rec Yds Y/R TD 21 44.7 0 0 0 0 2 2 37 18.50 1 31 39.7 1 5 5.00 0 6 5 41 8.20 0 34 45.9 0 0 0 0 10 8 66 8.25 0 30 53.6 1 5 5.00 0 5 5 31 6.20 0 15 15.8 0 0 2.67 0 13 10 53 5.30 1 35 43.2 7 28 4.00 0 6 3 50 16.67 0 12 22.2 3 8 2.67 0 4 3 40 13.33 0 5 8.3 5 17 3.40 0 7 6 30 5.00 0 12 18.5 3 1 0.33 0 3 3 25 8.33 0 25 34.7 6 14 2.33 0 6 5 72 14.40 026 36 2 6 3.00 0 5 5 62 12.4 1Bearing in mind that Riddick is one game ahead right now, he is currently RB 36 in standard leagues. RB 14 in PPR.

Lions OC Jim Bob Cooter expects RB Theo Riddick to get more carries this year.
Riddick led all NFL running backs with 80 catches last season, but he only logged 43 carries. The 25-year-old has struggled running the ball throughout his career, averaging 2.9 yards on just 72 rushing attempts. Riddick may occupy a slightly larger running-game role following Joique Bell's release, but he'll mostly be used on passing downs with Ameer Abdullah working as the lead back.

Source: Tim Twentyman on Twitter 
Jun 9 - 3:23 PM

Can I get a dynasty price check on Riddick (if such a thing exists)?  OR some discussion on how he'll perform this upcoming season, given even redraft value for a year carries some utility in dynasty.

I could make a decent argument that Riddick will push for 100 receptions this year.  Detroit lost Calvin, and they're already talking about spreading the ball around.  Marvin Jones is a solid NFL WR, but I don't think he and Tate are replacing Calvin+Tate's receiving output last year.  Will Ebron finally step up?  Who knows?

In Riddick you've got a guy that already hit the 80-reception mark last year.  There's been talk this offseason that he'll line up in the slot sometimes as well as in the backfield with Abdullah or another back... and Cooter is saying Riddick will likely get more carries. 

In PPR, it feels like you could do a lot worse at RB2 in deeper leagues, but maybe I'm crazy.

The flip side, of course, argues that Abdullah is going to take the backfield over and will catch more passes, Ebron will continue to emerge, and Jones/Tate adequately replace the WR production.  I just have a feeling Detroit is trailing a lot this year and probably has to pass the ball.  Maybe they'd like to run more frequently, but I doubt the scoreboard allows it.

What say you on Riddick?

Users who are viewing this thread