What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The War on Drugs (The Band, not the U.S. campaign) (1 Viewer)

Tiger Fan

Footballguy
How is there not a thread on this band yet.  They are really great.  I think on of the best album of the year threads turned me on to Lost in the Dream, which is an absolutely fantastic album.  Slave Ambient is solid as well.  

Just listened to this. Have Slave Ambient and like it.

This is much of the same. Good for a song or two, but gets very repetitive. It's like the band has no ability to change tempo in the midst of a song. The drummer might as well be, and is likely, a drum machine.

After a while, it becomes soulless

I agree with LD completely and I think it's the drum machine. Kinda monotonous. I think we're in the minority though. They're a good band. 

pownage

I'm with you guys. decent stuff in small doses. 
OK

:unsure:

Lost in the Dream is terrific - favorite tracks are Suffering and In Reverse.

Seems like dad rock but I'm an old papa who doesn't really care if he's relevant anymore.
:rolleyes:

If you're going to post links...why not post the other ones I posted after that in the thread:

Not gonna lie. This war in drugs album is really growing on me. Very relaxing without being depressing. I can't put my finger on it, but it's some strange mix b/w Don Henley/Bob Dylan (only on some songs)/and some other 80's artist that I can't think of

what's the next best "War on Drugs" album? Really digging this latest one

They're pretty good, but I agree on the very repetitive nature of their songs.  I still give Lost in the Dream a spin once a month or so.

Saw them live a few years back and they were a bit boring.  It's a shame because some of the hits can build up nice crescendos, songs like "Red Eyes", but it just didn't translate as well to a live show.

:rolleyes:

If you're going to post links...why not post the other ones I posted after that in the thread:
Because I couldn't figure out  :wall:  how to drag nested quotes over on my iPhone. So I just linked the one.

Not gonna lie. This war in drugs album is really growing on me. Very relaxing without being depressing. I can't put my finger on it, but it's some strange mix b/w Don Henley/Bob Dylan (only on some songs)/and some other 80's artist that I can't think of
Yeah, that's a good take there.

:headbang:

Bump due to the new album being released today.  The first half is very solid.  Quality might tail off in the second half but I need to listen to it a few more times before I'm sure that's my opinion.  It's not ground-breaking stuff and similar to the last album but still great to hear some new stuff by them.  And guitar solos aren't dead!

I saw them live and was not impressed. There's so much music out there that I think they lost me. I'll have to give them a second chance, but it would be limited. 

(How important I sound!)

I've posted this elsewhere but apparently not in this thread.  I think they'd be a lot better off if Kurt Vile had stayed in the band.  Vile is a better songwriter and a more interesting singer than Granduciel IMO.  The dynamic between the two might have produced a Tweedy/Farrar, Partridge/Moulding effect that would be greater than the sum of their parts. 

One spin of the new record didn't reveal any surprises.  It's pleasant enough but the songs still linger on too long and run together in the mind's ear.

I've posted this elsewhere but apparently not in this thread.  I think they'd be a lot better off if Kurt Vile had stayed in the band.  Vile is a better songwriter and a more interesting singer than Granduciel IMO.  The dynamic between the two might have produced a Tweedy/Farrar, Partridge/Moulding effect that would be greater than the sum of their parts. 

One spin of the new record didn't reveal any surprises.  It's pleasant enough but the songs still linger on too long and run together in the mind's ear.
Yeah, but now we have Vile AND War on Drugs to listen to.  That's a win, IMO.  I'm not looking for perfection in every artist; two damn good artists that I enjoy listening to while zoning out, walking, working, etc....Blessedly giving us tunes that wander on for more than 3 minutes. 

.Blessedly giving us tunes that wander on for more than 3 minutes. 
Yeah, I've never been one to complain about songs being too long.  There are some exceptions both ways, but there are a lot of quality 3 minute songs that I'd feel would be so much better if the artist would have fleshed them out a little more.

Users who are viewing this thread